PDA

View Full Version : What to bring on trail?

jwingfield2k
11-07-2004, 10:56 AM
Hey guys, what would you all suggest bringing on the trail for the clayton trip?

extra axle shafts? spare tire (with a jack this time), fluids and gas and oil, tools, hose clamps?

What else do you all suggest?

Wanna get ready for this thing.

fbronco86
11-07-2004, 10:59 AM
lots and lots of vasoline :flipoff2:

BigRedFord04
11-07-2004, 11:40 AM
from the homepage:

http://www.tamor.org/images/buttons/faq.jpg

"In addition to tons of fun, what do I need to plan for on an outing?

On trips we recommend bringing, or arranging to borrow: sun block, sun glasses, a cooler/ice chest w/ ice (usually the driver's have one), lots to drink (include some drinking water), some snacks & grub, and a camera w/ lots of film. Maybe some spending money for food afterward and gas, just in case. Not all of these of are required, but they are recommended. It actually makes for pretty cheap entertainment.

If I'm a driver, what should I have for my vehicle?

Most of these are recommended things, not required, but are good things to have. First of all you want to make sure that wherever you go, have at least one other vehicle close. Going off-roading alone is not recommended. Tow locations on the front and rear of your vehicle (hooks are great), tow strap (at least 2" x 20' leave the ones with hooks on the ends at home), a CB w/ antenna (these range in prices and quality and although they don't get the same range, handheld CBs can do for most of our uses), and a fire extinguisher is good (I've never seen a fire, but better safe than sorry)."

yes, i would also recommend any spare parts that you have that you think you might need...and all the req'd tools to fix your broke ass piece of sh!t. :flipoff2:

stx4wheeler
11-07-2004, 02:02 PM
also this will be a little difficult for you since you havent had it or driven it that much but any other random parts that you know your truck seems to break alot like mine likes to eat starter solenoids for breakfast it seems, or if you truck seems to screw over alternator or somethingtake a spare with you, also you will need to get some ratchet straps to tie everything in your rig down, cause during a roll or something of the sort any loose tools and items become flying projectiles(Thats Right im MR. SAfety). thats all i can think of now.

stinger7401
11-07-2004, 06:01 PM
heres a list I made back in the day, should be pretty extensive

jwingfield2k
11-07-2004, 07:52 PM
bigredford thanks for that much needed info. although I didnt want to know what camping gear to bring, thanks anyways though...

i was really looking for what type of tech stuff...

hi lift, axle shafts... that sort of stuff. lets just break and see i guess.

BigRedFord04
11-07-2004, 08:15 PM
my name's Austin....

...and...if you think you can break it....bring extra. as far as tools go, some really good advice i heard once, "Only work on your vehicle in the driveway with the tools that you carry on the trail." that way you're not stuck trying to borrow it from someone else.

just use common sense, and fill up the available storage space with stuff that MIGHT come in handy. if it looks useful, bring it...you might not need it but someone else might. you can make a killing selling spare parts to people who come unprepared.

Violentv8toy
11-07-2004, 08:22 PM
"Only work on your vehicle in the driveway with the tools that you carry on the trail." that way you're not stuck trying to borrow it from someone else.

like me....1/2 the time i don't even have a fawkin lugwrench.

And always pack the day before u go wheelin...cause sure enough you'll forget something when you're throwin stuff in your truck hungover and all you're wanting to do is get in your truck and **** the seat back.

TxCruzr
11-07-2004, 08:37 PM
Bring birfields. Oh wait, your not cool enough for those. :D
Look for people with a setup like yours and see what their weak link is. Also find someone that has a rig with the same gear as you so you can see what the other is bringing. One bring his spare shafts and one bring the tools. If one of you breaks a shaft then trade back at camp. That way your not loading your rig down with 400lbs of spares that everyone else has. You don't need 10 d44 shafts on a run (hope not atleast). The more you weigh your rig down the better chance you have of breaking. Though it is better to have to much then to not have something you need.
Oh, and I'm bringing a spare birfield :D

BigRedFord04
11-07-2004, 08:44 PM
he's got the F250 to keep sh!t piled in.

oh....and be sure to bring a pillow. i always forget my god damn pillow.

Chadnutz
11-07-2004, 09:00 PM
I'll bring 4 spare birfields, 2 spare inners and one spare outer for my Toyota POS. :flipoff2:

I say:

Strap
Bottle Jack
Hi Lift (is nice)
4 Way
All the hand tools you need
Paper towels
Crappy blanket to work on

Fredo
11-07-2004, 09:48 PM
I'll bring 4 spare birfields, 2 spare inners and one spare outer for my Toyota POS. :flipoff2:

I say:

Strap
Bottle Jack
Hi Lift (is nice)
4 Way
All the hand tools you need
Paper towels
Crappy blanket to work on

This is the list of stuff you would bring IF you were ever to make it to the trail right Chadnuts? :flipoff2: :D

Chadnutz
11-07-2004, 10:19 PM
heheh yeah :flipoff2:

Matt Conlee
11-07-2004, 10:49 PM
For the clayton trip you are going to want to bring all the little odd and ends that could be of use. There is a Napa in town but i wouldnt count on them.

TxCruzr
11-07-2004, 11:24 PM
Also bring spare underwear and a crowbar to pry the seat out of your ass :gigem:

jwingfield2k
11-07-2004, 11:31 PM
I just hope this thing will be the sligh bit trail worthy by then. I know I will glady accept any help ya wanna bring me on putting these axles on there sometime next week.

I need to find a trailer before the clayton trip though.

Ben97XJ
11-07-2004, 11:38 PM
Did we find out if you have to have insurance in clayton.

StevenAg03
11-07-2004, 11:46 PM
you have to have insurance in clayton unless you trailer it from trailhead to trailhead. they will check it at the check in. also be careful and dont act an ass on the roads there....everytime i have been there the cops are in full effect.

Ben97XJ
11-08-2004, 12:01 AM
So Johnny did you get insurance on the beast yet?

Sharpe
11-08-2004, 12:05 AM
Well since you are a fellow full sizer, here's what I carry.

Warn M12000 (sometimes the little bastards cant pull you out)
30' x 3" strap
60x 2" 6 ply strap
Few bigass and medium sized shackles
Jumper cables
Basic hand tools and then some
High lift
Spare fluids
Mini-spare tire (32" ***)
Spare inner and outer D60 shafts (my old ones from when the axle was rebuilt)

I dont anticipate breaking anything b/c I'm running stock weakass TBI 350 and only 36's. You should be even better off with me, I doubt whats left of your blazer weighs over 5K. You're swapping in one tons right? If so you have no breakage issues to worry about. I can give you a hand when you do the swap, I've done it before.

jwingfield2k
11-08-2004, 07:48 AM
No Ben, but I'm checking on it today. If i wanted to drive it from trailhead to trailerhead, wouldnt I have to make it street legal as well?

redcagepatrol
11-08-2004, 08:42 AM
you have to have insurance in clayton unless you trailer it from trailhead to trailhead. they will check it at the check in. also be careful and dont act an ass on the roads there....everytime i have been there the cops are in full effect.
not a real event - just the club...

Lynda
11-08-2004, 08:50 AM
U-Joints....havn't heard anyone mention u-joints yet :eek:

Chadnutz
11-08-2004, 09:34 AM
I ain't got no stinkin u-joints!

Except those on my driveshafts and who breaks those?

eight
11-08-2004, 09:46 AM
A 3 lb hammer and a pry bar can be alotta help.
Some wire, wire nuts, and a test light can fix most electrical problems.

And I just came up with a way to make my welder system safe for computerized vehicles. I had stopped before because it was sending a voltage spike when switching.

jwingfield2k
11-08-2004, 09:49 AM
do you have that onboard mig system?

Matt Conlee
11-08-2004, 10:06 AM
Just so everyone knows YOU DONT NEED INSURANCE. If this was a SWFWDA event then you would. All uninsured rigs be there.

eight
11-08-2004, 10:40 AM
do you have that onboard mig system?

No. I was gonna build and sell onboard stick systems. They would be basic, cheap, and easy to install. Built and tested one. Worked fine on my jeep, but it sent a voltage spike when switching from weld to charge. I found a way to eliminate it, but it wasn't idiot proof, and I'm sure someone would fry something with it. Now I've come up with what I think is an idiot proof way, just gotta build and test it.

uglyota
11-08-2004, 10:56 AM
ummm...if you're really worried about "your vehicle's sensitive electronics," disconnect the battery and unplug the ecu

I think a full size spare is pretty important...besides, bald tires of almost any size can be found for free

have a socket or 6-point ghetto socket for your spindle nut

And Mario, get a damn lug wrench!

Nutz brings a 4-way? "she wears a 2-way but I'm not quite sure what that means"

BigRedFord04
11-08-2004, 11:33 AM
more important than anything....

DONT FORGET YOUR UNCLE'S POCKETKNIFE!!

:flipoff2:

i plan on camping, as most others (i think)...firewood is a good thing to bring unless you're going to Katemcy where its kinda considered "trail cleaning" to gather all day. anyone bringin' firewood?

uglyota
11-08-2004, 11:39 AM
what was that saying again? It's always better to add to an existing thread than to start a new one!
http://tamor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2652&highlight=spares+trail

BigRedFord04
11-08-2004, 11:53 AM
general concesus was that that thread sucked....i mean, come one, landon started it :flipoff2:

this one's much better.

uglyota
11-08-2004, 01:35 PM
Oh yeah...
3 pages for 4 relevant posts
you've got a point with the Landon thing though :)

TxCruzr
11-08-2004, 04:04 PM
No. I was gonna build and sell onboard stick systems. They would be basic, cheap, and easy to install. Built and tested one. Worked fine on my jeep, but it sent a voltage spike when switching from weld to charge. I found a way to eliminate it, but it wasn't idiot proof, and I'm sure someone would fry something with it. Now I've come up with what I think is an idiot proof way, just gotta build and test it.

You can do a test install on mine. :gigem:

Bring a friend to ride shotgun. That way you just make them get out to hook up the strap or take pics so you never have to get out. :D

TexTJ209
11-08-2004, 04:18 PM
Here's a list from another site, most of this stuff is for going way out there, so not all of it is relevant.

Tools:
-Hi Lift Jack
-Toolbox
-CB
-4 FRS radio's
-3 D batt. Maglite
-Cell phone
-Firefighting/Heat Resistant gloves (exhaust related problems)
-Duct Tape, Electric tape
-Zip Ties
-Tire deflator/inflator
-Bailing wire
-Starter fluid for tire rebeading
-Hub Wrench
-Snap Ring Pliers
-Pump for refilling Tranny/T-Case after a roll
-K&N oil/cleaner if applicable
-Hose Clamps
-RTV for Differential Sealing, etc.
-Tools that are specific to your rig
-Star-Type Lug Wrenches
-Cheap Tool Kit
-Small Sledgehammer
-Hatchet
-3 Ga. Jumper Cables
-Vice Grip Pliers, C-Clamps, other assorted hand tools
-Bungee Cords
-Plastic Zip-Lock bags
-Impact Wrench, and other air tools (if OBA equipped)
Recovery:
-Tow Strap
-Rope
-Tree Strap
Spare Parts:
-Extra oil
-Electrical wires
-Full Size Spare
-Extra Lug Nuts
-Good tire repair kit with extra plugs and patches
-Valve stems
-U-Joints
-Extra U-Bolts
-Straps for the U-bolts
-Voltmeter
-Extra set of keys
-Fuses
-Spark plugs
-Dist. Cap/Rotor
-Starter Solenoid
-Spare Belts
-Spare Hoses
-Hub Bearings
-Spare Hubs
-Fuel Filter
-Oil Filter
-Fuel Injection parts
-Bendix for the starter
-Onboard Air Fittings
-Spare Unit Bearing Assembly
-Front and Rear Axle Shafts
-Assorted Bolt, Nut and Washer box
-Spare Steering Components
-Spare Driveshaft
-5 Gallon Jerry Cans
Survivability:
-Extra clothes (Hoodie, gloves, t-shirt, etc.)
-Hiking Boots
-Matches, lighter and extra fluid for lighter
-Food packed in good containers
-Maps/Guides of the Area
-Plenty of water in containers that will prevent contamination
-Cooler
-Quality First aid kit
-Blanket
-Sunscreen, Chap Stick
-Motrin/Tylenol
Misc.
-Rags, Blue Paper Shop Towels
-General Purpose Mat
-Gojo, Fast-Orange or other waterless hand cleaners
-Restraints for Cooler/Toolboxes

BigRedFord04
11-08-2004, 04:49 PM
CAMERA!!!

:gigem:

sasquatch
11-08-2004, 06:58 PM
****, you can use bailing wire for anything. Thats what's holding my old tractor together.