PDA

View Full Version : dodge water pump removal

savvyaggie
11-20-2004, 06:03 PM
I need to replace my water pump in my dodge 1500 with a 318ci... How the hell do you keep the pull from turning when you are removing the single nut that holds the fan and fan cluth on? I called advanced and they said that do not have the specific tool, and they just put 2 bolts through 2 of the holes(in the pulley) and pry against then while trying to turn the nut. I trying that and I still could not get it busted loose. I put alot of presure on it and I did not want to damage the pulley. and I have tried all multiple things but I can't get the nut busted loose.

Is there anybody who has done this, or know how to do this?????

savvyaggie
11-20-2004, 06:05 PM
pic

aggieblazer07
11-20-2004, 06:33 PM
can you take the belt off and put one of those strap wrenches on the pulley?

StevenAg03
11-20-2004, 06:38 PM
befoe you fawk it up too bad, make sure its not left handed threads. that is try turning it clockwise to loosen it up first...there are some that are like that..

savvyaggie
11-20-2004, 07:19 PM
befoe you fawk it up too bad, make sure its not left handed threads. that is try turning it clockwise to loosen it up first...there are some that are like that..

my is reverse thread.... already checked that... Well that is what the guy at the parts store said... Where can I find out to make sure???

savvyaggie
11-20-2004, 07:35 PM
NEVERMIND!!!! The **** sucker at Advanced told me it was reverse, so that is how I have been trying to get it off. I just called another joint and they said it was standard thread, and it is. I got it off..B*****d!!

Sharpe
11-20-2004, 07:49 PM
Just FYI if ANYTHING is reverse thread be-it bolt, pipe fitting, tie-rod end or whatever, the "nut" part (the part that has threads on the inside) will have a notch on every one of the 6 points of the lug. If you want to know what it looks like, look at the fitting that connects and accetylene regulator to the tank valve, they are left handed thread.

savvyaggie
11-20-2004, 08:08 PM
Just FYI if ANYTHING is reverse thread be-it bolt, pipe fitting, tie-rod end or whatever, the "nut" part (the part that has threads on the inside) will have a notch on every one of the 6 points of the lug. If you want to know what it looks like, look at the fitting that connects and accetylene regulator to the tank valve, they are left handed thread.

did not know that......

Moose
11-21-2004, 11:49 AM
i figured it was just for this kit. interesting.

savvyaggie
11-21-2004, 04:39 PM
WELL, its not the water pump... I have changed it out and the t-stat.... So I think I have a blown head gasket..... After fawking with it, that is the only thing I think it could be.... I can drive in for about 30 min. and everything is fine, but then the temp starts to rise. it started went I was leaving hearne headed to bryan and it got to about 220-225 and stayed there..

although:

No water in the oil
no water in the exhaust
and the plugs are fine

What leads me to beleave that is that for about 15 sec every 3-4 mins. I am gettinga alittle bit of bubbling in the radiator. Its not much, but it is the only other possiblilty that I can think of...

SO NOW WHAT TO DO????

sell it like it is(because I already had it currently for sale)

or

fix the head gasket or head

or

throw in a 318 or a 360 (I have one of each at the shop).

So the question is what else could it be?

and what to do now? I jsut don't want to but much money in it because I am trying to sell it, I will just be that much more in it.

savvyaggie
11-21-2004, 07:46 PM
I am going to try one more thing.... It did not bubble much and it was only every few mins, possibly when the thermostat was opening, air in lines maybe, etc... I am going to replace the radiator tomorrow, to see if it is clogged up. Because it has no other symtoms of a headgasket. and in continues to get warm at a slow rate... and still does not overheat.....

StevenAg03
11-21-2004, 08:04 PM
possibly the easiest way to tell if it is infact one of the head gaskets or not is to take the radiator cap off the truck when it is running. If the water comes shooting out then it is the head gaskets and they are leaking pressure into the water system.

agjohn02
11-21-2004, 08:16 PM
possibly the easiest way to tell if it is infact one of the head gaskets or not is to take the radiator cap off the truck when it is running. If the water comes shooting out then it is the head gaskets and they are leaking pressure into the water system.

this is correct but entirely too vaugue.

WHILE THE ENGINE IS COLD take the cap off and see if this happens. if its hot, it will shoot water out and give you third degree burns over significant portions of your body.

StevenAg03
11-21-2004, 09:47 PM
i guess that is probably one "little" detail i left out...i thought that "surely no one would be stupid enough to open remove the cap when its hot"....but i guess i should have clarrified

BigRedFord04
12-01-2004, 02:03 PM
my vote: sell it as is. my dad once traded in a chevy w/ a blown head gasket. had to stop 4 times on the way to the dealer to let it cool off and put water in it. they called him the next day wondering why it wouldnt start. :D