PDA

View Full Version : pinion flanges

Moose
11-23-2004, 02:33 PM
i'd like to go with 1350 u-joints all around. but a lot of people are telling me that's overkill. jbg is telling me 1330 would be fine, even for a full-size bronco (most of them run eb's) as long as the driveshaft is beefy enough. plus, i'm having a hard time finding anyone that carries a 1350 pinion flange to accept the 9 inch splines. anyone know if 1350 pinion flanges for a ford 9" and D44 are even available and who/where?

bburris
11-23-2004, 03:23 PM
I don't know of anyone that would stock the flanges, but if you're looking for regular yokes it would be a normal Spicer part.

Moose
11-23-2004, 03:59 PM
so, that means the biggest i can go anyway is 1330 (stock 79 bronco, Ford 9"). cause if i go with a f-350 pinion yoke (1350 u-joints?), i'll have issues with the Ford 10.5" pinion splines.

CRaSHnBuRN
11-23-2004, 04:03 PM
maybe high angle on the flanges

bburris
11-23-2004, 04:16 PM
If you have a Ford 9" I'm not sure that you can get any pinion flanges. You can get a pinion yoke up to a 1410 series. The front D44 is the same way.

Just for verification, are you talking about a pinion yoke:
http://www.texasoffroad.net/albums/lonestar/album358/DSC00578.sized.jpg

or a pinion flange:
http://www.texasoffroad.net/albums/lonestar/album358/DSC00577.sized.jpg

And if you're talking about flanges, why are you insistent on using that over normal yokes?

Moose
11-23-2004, 04:24 PM
yoke. but i didn't know you could buy them like that (flange). that would be wonderful. why can't you get them for a 9"? as long as the splines will fit, you could drill and tap your own holes?

i thought flange was the same as yoke. woops.

bburris
11-23-2004, 06:33 PM
They're very different, as you can see. I have a flange on my rear t-case output, and some people have them on the front output. I think ricer trucks have them, too. I only have my rear output one because it came from High Angle Driveline and I overpaid.

If you just need 1350 yokes all around you can search ebay. Type in 1350 in the ebay motors search and get an idea on prices, then call around to a couple of places to compare. High Angle Driveline will probably be high, but he might also beat ebay prices. Then call your local driveshaft shop that sells Spicer parts.

I'll see if I can get you some part numbers and prices from my buddy at Car Quest also.

redcagepatrol
11-24-2004, 08:56 AM
I have them on all my outputs and inputs - wait - all Toyota's come that way. We NEVER see broken straps and thrown caps - it's pretty nice...

Moose
11-24-2004, 09:35 AM
I have them on all my outputs and inputs - wait - all Toyota's come that way. We NEVER see broken straps and thrown caps - it's pretty nice...

straps?

uglyota
11-24-2004, 09:38 AM
it certainly is :D

redcagepatrol
11-24-2004, 09:39 AM
straps?
u-joint straps - u-joint u-bolts - whatever you are using... It's the thing that wraps around the u-joint cap and bolts to the yoke

I carry spares in the Patrol because you American drivers never seem to have spares and they ALWAYS break.

spool
11-24-2004, 11:02 AM
Call Randys r&p or someplace that sells r&p they should have 1350 yokes for a 9". You do not want to go with 1330 because you loose a lot of drive shaft angle because of the way they are made.

stx4wheeler
11-29-2004, 01:02 AM
where are you planin on or where are you wheeling it if your not doing hard rock crawling i think that the stock joints will be fine.. when my 78 was all stock(i realize yours isnt) i use to beat the crap out of it jumping it some light rock crawling, trail ridin, and sand and mud and i never broke any of the joints on it. jsut my opinion.

Moose
11-29-2004, 07:42 AM
where are you planin on or where are you wheeling it if your not doing hard rock crawling i think that the stock joints will be fine.. when my 78 was all stock(i realize yours isnt) i use to beat the crap out of it jumping it some light rock crawling, trail ridin, and sand and mud and i never broke any of the joints on it. jsut my opinion.

really!? i plan on beating the hell outa mine. and i figured the 38's would not help matters. anywho, i was planning on changing out all the seals in the axles and tcase and xmission anyway, and the pinion flanges aren't expensive to convert to, and i need longer driveshafts (if not new ones), and i'll be going to new gears and lockers too, so why not beef up all the connections?

i plan on calling randy's this week (thanks troy). am looking at going to 1410's all the way around, but go with spicer u-joints in the driveshafts so those break first.

stx4wheeler
11-29-2004, 01:01 PM
alright cool but my advice is if you plan on wheelin in the rocks dont put locker in the 44 front or broken **** will occur, what gears you gonna go with 4.88?

Moose
11-29-2004, 01:21 PM
alright cool but my advice is if you plan on wheelin in the rocks dont put locker in the 44 front or broken **** will occur, what gears you gonna go with 4.88?

4:56's with all this horespower :rolleyes:
and since i'm staying with such a small ring gear (bigger teeth)

didn't think i could break anything with a locker in the front. planning on ARB, but in the far future (about $1,000 from now). but for right now, i'm looking at those chromo shafts from Moser and u-joints from CTM. that's a great excuse to leave the D44 open, but i was really hoping to get one of those aa-uue-gahhh horns. :D

Moose
11-29-2004, 05:27 PM
spoke with "Randy's Driveshaft Service, houston, tx." highly reccomended by 4WheelParts on the 610 SW loop. plus, they're 1 minute from the trailer. typical "stock" parts place; motto is: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. that exactly the opposite of what's going to have to happen cause they're knees buckled as soon as i said dana/spicer. said only way of obtaining a full splined shaft is with agricultural parts; of which is custom to them. said you can only have cv's up to 1350's, they didn't even know the spline count on the pinion on a 1978 ford 9", and said would start at $700. so, early tommorrow, i'll be on the phone w/Randy's R&P. is it really gonna get this expensive just for one side?

jerryg79
11-29-2004, 05:42 PM
4:56's with all this horespower :rolleyes:
and since i'm staying with such a small ring gear (bigger teeth)

didn't think i could break anything with a locker in the front. planning on ARB, but in the far future (about $1,000 from now). but for right now, i'm looking at those chromo shafts from Moser and u-joints from CTM. that's a great excuse to leave the D44 open, but i was really hoping to get one of those aa-uue-gahhh horns. :D

Have you ever heard that phrase about "polishing a turd"?

uglyota
11-29-2004, 05:53 PM
you can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh!t