PDA

View Full Version : batteries

CRaSHnBuRN
12-06-2004, 07:59 AM
I want to get a new battery for the buggy. The one on it now is just your normal car battery, and after seeing what happens to one of those in a roll, I want a sealed battery. I had an optima, but had to sell it for some quick cash. I really liked it, but it was pretty expensive. So my question is, who else produces sealed batteries, and what is the cheapest. Someone told me Wally world was carrying some now, but I don't know if its true, or if they are worth running. Any other kinds or ideas?

uglyota
12-06-2004, 09:46 AM
everybody seems to like Exide's. I thing the Explorer Procrap ones are the same. I'm still happy with my optima. Or you can buy a battery box to contain whatever spills in a roll and buy a battery off me for $10 (or 2 for $15!). I think a battery box would be pimp if you have space for it.

bburris
12-06-2004, 01:05 PM
Champion makes one also

Graystroke
12-06-2004, 01:12 PM
I'm guessing you mean gel spiral celled and not sealed. B/C there are a lot of maintenance free batteries that are sealed but still contain acid in liquid form.

BigRedFord04
12-06-2004, 03:56 PM
i've run the Champion version as my 2nd battery since the summer before my freshman year. its run a lot of stuff and only once was i retarded enough to completely drain it...but it charged back up. you're not going to save much buying any of the cheaper versions of an Optima.

CRaSHnBuRN
12-07-2004, 04:36 PM
I have a good battery on the buggy now, and I've considered just getting a box for it. Basically last time I rolled, battery acid leaked all over everything inside the engine compartment. Now I don't want the same thing happening when the only thing between me and that acid is air and tubing. Plus the acid will do a number on the paint. My question is whether the box will seal good enough to keep alot from leaking out? What happens if you flip one of the maintenance free batteries over? Are they truly sealed, and won't leak? Maybe I'll just sell a kidney and try for the optima again down the road.

Shaggy
12-07-2004, 04:54 PM
you can get boat battery boxes at wally world and they are water tight and should work good... i say spend the extra and get the optima... it isnt that much more and is a bad dood

bburris
12-07-2004, 05:13 PM
Optimas and other similar batteries don't have anything in them to leak out...

Shaggy
12-07-2004, 06:18 PM
ya they are gell celled or something like that