PDA

View Full Version : Full Hydraulic Steering

Shaggy
12-21-2004, 05:54 PM
I am going to probably do Full Hydraulic Steering on the bronco. I am sectioning to cab and am not going to have the room For a steering shaFt. I haven't Found too much inFo on it yet and wondered iF anyone could help me out on searching For some inFo. hook a cracka up

tate

Graystroke
12-21-2004, 05:55 PM
there's a write up on Billa Vista's tech pages on Pirate.

Shaggy
12-21-2004, 05:58 PM
link?

Shaggy
12-21-2004, 06:01 PM
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-Hydro_Steering/index.html
this it?... cause this is good

Graystroke
12-21-2004, 06:11 PM
that's the one.

Cajun
12-21-2004, 07:43 PM
This is one of those things I'd spend money on. It was worth it IMO to have someone knowledgeable spec out a system with components matched to my needs. I looked at PSC (http://www.offroadsteering.com/) and Performance Offroad Systems (search for Sean Stapley or Station on Pirate). I was interested in PSC's cross connected system, and Perf. Offroad's balanced system.

I went with Perf. Offroad's balanced system because I am familiar with it after installing it on the in-law's K5 and because I didn't have to mess with a tie rod. However, PSC has very nice steering systems and I think you will be happy with either one. They are offering products that they didn't have when I placed my order, and depending on their price may have swayed me. I have never heard anything bad about either company, but I do recommend you do some research before ordering. BTW, look to spend between $1200 and $1400 on such a system, depending on which options you choose.

When planning your mounts I would highly recommend you not planning to locate your orbital valve, or any hoses for that matter, in the cab. Getting sprayed by hot hydraulic fluid at 1600 psi dosen't sound like a good time, but maybe that's just me. :D

uglyota
12-22-2004, 10:02 AM
no tie rod?

Cajun
12-22-2004, 11:36 AM
Not in the traditional sense. With a balanced cylinder, you have 2 small links (one on each end), or tie rods, that connect the ends of the ram with the steering arms.

Graystroke
12-22-2004, 12:52 PM
like independent suspension in a way.

TxCruzr
12-22-2004, 01:44 PM
Like this

uglyota
12-22-2004, 06:52 PM
is there little enough play in the system that you can get the toe-in dialed and it will stay there? Or is it not important since full hydro's not street legal? Definitely makes for a simpler system.
What yota is that Joe?

Cajun
12-22-2004, 08:32 PM
FYI, the above picture looks to be the Perf. Offroad cylinder I'm using.

If your question is in regards to alignment than I would say it's not that important because full hydro steering isn't street legal, and I'd venture that the vast majority of those running such a system are doing it on rigs that at least rarely see the street. Specifically, you can adjust toe in to some degree by threading/unthreading the heim joints on the "tie rods".

Doug Krebs
12-22-2004, 09:25 PM
are you sure it's illegal? I've heard different, i've seen threads where people have researched it and couldn't find anything about it being illegal in texas.

agjohn02
12-22-2004, 10:34 PM
Suspension systemsSuspension systems are required to be structurally sound and in safe working order,including the following:?Axles must be in proper alignment, and no positioning part can be cracked, broken, loose, or miss-ing.?Adjustable axles must have locking pins in place.?Leaf springs must not be cracked, broken, missing, or shifted out of position.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Page 6
393-6?Coil springs must not be cracked or broken.?Torsion bars must not be cracked or broken.?Air suspensions must support the vehicle in a level position, and must not leak. Steering systemsSteering system must be in proper working order, which includes the following:?Steering wheel must be properly secured and no cracked or missing spokes.?Steering wheel lash must meet the requirements of Section 393.209.?Steering column must be securely fastened.?Steering system must not have worn or welded universal joints, loose steering gear box, missingbolts, or a loose pitman arm on the steering gear output shaft.?Power steering unit must not have loose or broken parts, frayed, cracked, or slipping belts, leaks;or insufficient fluid in reservoir.

all i found so far. nothing about hydro though

Cajun
12-23-2004, 08:55 AM
You guys are correct, not sure what I was thinking. There is nothing on the books about a full hydraulic steering system being legal or illegal. I was under the impression that any non mechanical system was frowned upon by the DOT. Something to consider if you're planning on using such a system on a vehicle that sees a lot of street time is that if you lose fluid (serious leak, whatever) you have no steering at all. It dosen't get hard to steer like when power steering fails, it just stops working, period. I wouldn't run full hydro on a vehicle that will ever see the interstate.

Doug Krebs
12-23-2004, 09:09 AM
Sorry to keep second guessing you andy, but i've also read that if you get the right orbital you can still steer even if your engine goes dead. I'm not sure how well it works because i've only "read" this... no personal experience

So someone try it out and let us know how it works!

redcagepatrol
12-23-2004, 09:26 AM
Sorry to keep second guessing you andy, but i've also read that if you get the right orbital you can still steer even if your engine goes dead. I'm not sure how well it works because i've only "read" this... no personal experience

So someone try it out and let us know how it works!
this is true, you can steer just fine with the engine not running - just like loosing the "power" from power steering. We have done it too many times in the comp rig...

Cajun
12-23-2004, 09:32 AM
Yes, you can steer with the engine not running, because the orbital itself will pump fluid through the system. If you read my post you'll see I'm talking about what happens when you don't have any, or enough fluid. It's hard to pump fluid when there's none there.

Doug Krebs
12-23-2004, 09:48 AM
Idiot! No wonder I'm going to college a second time!

Yes, you can steer with the engine not running, because the orbital itself will pump fluid through the system. If you read my post you'll see I'm talking about what happens when you don't have any, or enough fluid. It's hard to pump fluid when there's none there.

Shaggy
01-10-2005, 05:51 PM
I talked to Sean Stapley at Performance Off-Road Systems today and the system I am going to go with is gonna run around $1300... which is a little less than I was expecting. I'll order it as soon as my student loans come in.

Graystroke
01-10-2005, 06:30 PM
I'll order it as soon as my student loans come in.
KLASSIC!