PDA

View Full Version : exide orbital batteries

CRaSHnBuRN
12-28-2004, 01:53 PM
Where can I find exide batteries around here? I know they are sometimes rebadged and sold under different names, but I other than procomp, I don't know who else sells them or where to find them. I'm sure there has to be some local dealers that carry the exide brand name. I've found some good deals for them online, but I'm guessing the shipping would kill me. And procomp wants an arm and a leg for these things. I don't really want to go with an overpriced optima just to have the POS die on me again.

BMFScout
12-28-2004, 02:26 PM
I went with a new ebay optima, shipping really wasn't that bad, I got a yellow top, which is deep cycle, so not exactly what i prob wanted but works good so far. I also prob don't have a warranty.

redcagepatrol
12-28-2004, 02:41 PM
I don't really want to go with an overpriced optima just to have the POS die on me again.
You can get NEW red top Optimas for $110 at any interstate dealer if you talk them down. I own four and have never had any problems. One of the ones in my dodge is from my first Toyota - I bought it back in like 1996 and it's still going strong.

I have killed the one in the Patrol 5 or 6 times by leaving either lights or the key on and they have always been able to fully recharge it to around 13 volts.

By another Optima or take the one back that you have - they will charge it or replace it...

CRaSHnBuRN
12-28-2004, 04:24 PM
mine went with the truck, and is absolutely dead. Will not hold a charge for more than a few minutes (you can actually watch it drop). The guy who has it now was trying to warranty it, but they were giving him the runaround. Plus searching on pirate shows that my experience is far from abnormal. And considering the marine grade deep charge orbital is actually less than what most places want for the redtop, I figure I'll give it a try. My friend was telling me napa sells these things, and since I have a hookup there, I'm hoping to get it a little cheaper. Plus you gotta be careful as the cheaper redtops are normally a smaller version or the regular red tops.

CRaSHnBuRN
12-28-2004, 04:29 PM
I went with a new ebay optima, shipping really wasn't that bad, I got a yellow top, which is deep cycle, so not exactly what i prob wanted but works good so far. I also prob don't have a warranty.

how much would you say the shipping was?

redcagepatrol
12-28-2004, 04:31 PM
mine went with the truck, and is absolutely dead. Will not hold a charge for more than a few minutes Plus you gotta be careful as the cheaper redtops are normally a smaller version or the regular red tops.
gotta take it to Interstate to charge it after a complete drain... and They only have two versions of redtops - the regular(which all of mine are) and the smaller ones. I bought all of the last three of mine for $110.

Shaggy
12-28-2004, 04:51 PM
i got my regular red top for 110 too and it worked awsome... i even drained it a bunch of times with my crappy wireing... but a friend of mine borrowed it when the bronco came apart and it has almost been a year and it is still in his blazer

uglyota
12-29-2004, 12:21 PM
I think my red top from batteriesaurus.com was under $100. Took a while though
Scott, Advance sells optimas, would you trust them to recharge one?

redcagepatrol
12-29-2004, 01:17 PM
Scott, Advance sells optimas, would you trust them to recharge one?not really - they don't know much about them and would treat them like a lead acid battery

BMFScout
12-29-2004, 01:20 PM
I don't remember but I remember the battery being under 100 bucks for a yellow top. I haven't priced any, just email the seller and see how much it will be, or they might have the little shipping calculator set up at the bottom of the auction, if you figure in no tax, it might be worth it.

CRaSHnBuRN
12-29-2004, 08:41 PM
my friend called today and said he could get me the marine grade deep charge exide for $95 with a warrantee. Not bad, heck for that price I may run two of them.

BigRedFord04
12-29-2004, 08:48 PM
you dont want to run a marine deep cycle on an automotive charging system. those batteries are designed to be completely drained slowly and completely recharged slowly. you'll ruin the battery if you do and putting them in a vehicle voids the warranty.

stinger7401
12-29-2004, 10:46 PM
I have had a yellow top in mine for two years now and love it, it will actually perform better than any car battery will when you factor in the destruction that winch's do to batteries. I think mine cost around $50, oh damn thats right, distributor prices :flipoff2:

agjohn02
12-30-2004, 12:51 AM
got mine at advance, they were cheaper than anyone else on the redtop.