PDA

View Full Version : CD Radio Fine Tuning

BeachJeepin
01-17-2005, 12:37 AM
So driving up here, I decided to tune into channel 19 and listen to truck drivers. Had lots of fun and even got one truck to let me draft off of him for a while. I've had my CB for a while now and I can get it to work, but I have no idea what each of the knobs do. I just turn this one a little and turn that one until it works for me. Can anyone tell me what each does and how I need to fine tune one of these things? What do I look for? or listen for? Is a power amp necessary?

http://www.tamor.org/members-rigs/albums/album101/DSCF0009.sized.jpg

BigRedFord04
01-17-2005, 12:42 AM
volume makes the speaker louder

squelch filters noise, the more you turn it up, the more it filters, sometimes to the point it filters the stuff you wanna hear.

dynamike is the power you're transmitting with, leave it all the way up

RF Gain is the signal amplifier, leave it all the way up.

Channel....for the love of jebus i hope you know what this does

the "NB" switch is noise balancer...another one of Cobra's noise filters

CB/PA is to switch back and forth from transmitting radio or transmitting to an onboard PA speaker.

have you had it tuned w/ an SWR meter? how much cable do you have between the CB and antenna? 18' is ideal. theres a CB place right off the east side of Hwy 6 at Hwy 21, behind the Conoco that will tune it for you.

BeachJeepin
01-17-2005, 12:45 AM
haven't had it fined tuned yet. how much does it cost? I have about 15' of cable. So i only really need to worry about the Spuelch?

jwingfield2k
01-17-2005, 01:34 AM
channel 19 is the nominal channel. everybody stays on 19 until they "go to channel such-n-such."

agjohn02
01-17-2005, 04:32 AM
channel 19 is the nominal channel. everybody stays on 19 until they "go to channel such-n-such."

thanks cap'n :rolleyes:

jerryg79
01-17-2005, 08:37 AM

Really?

robertf03
01-17-2005, 09:26 AM
CB stands for citizens band

jerryg79
01-17-2005, 09:28 AM
Some CB's have microphones so you can talk to people.

Graystroke
01-17-2005, 04:27 PM
I saw this movie one time that centered around people talking on a Citizen's (thanks robert) Band radio. I think they got chased by an 18 wheeler. Oh yeah... and these were the kinds w/ microphones.

Fredo
01-17-2005, 05:12 PM
I think I remember a song where a bunch of Truck Drivers, otherwise known as "truckers" were "singing" on their Citizen Band (thanks again flem) radios about getting what is know as a "convoy" together and bashing through a tollgate. A "convoy" is when a bunch of "truckers" travel together in a long line. But I'm no expert...correct me if I'm wrong wingfield.

Doug Krebs
01-17-2005, 06:25 PM
I think I remember a song where a bunch of Truck Drivers, otherwise known as "truckers" were "singing" on their Citizen Band (thanks again flem) radios about getting what is know as a "convoy" together and bashing through a tollgate. A "convoy" is when a bunch of "truckers" travel together in a long line. But I'm no expert...correct me if I'm wrong wingfield.

Also, another kick ass song is "teddy bear" or whatever that song is... brings a tear to my eye :flipoff2:

jerryg79
01-18-2005, 08:08 AM

I have heard, dont quote me on this, but CB's work better with an antenna, like I said, dont jump on me if im wrong, that's just something I got from unnamed internet sources.

Oh and Fred if you think the song is good, just wait till you see the movie convoy, based on the song, with a 15 minute rendition of the song "convoy". Kris Kristoferson rules.

"Pig Pen this here's the rubber duck, we just aint a gonna pay no toll!"

Lynda
01-18-2005, 08:31 AM
And don't forget to keep it on Channel 12 when you are cruising in C.S. Its always fun to be able to talk to other people in the club when you pass them, or exchange drunken 10-4's on a Thursday night....... :gigem:

uglyota
01-18-2005, 09:59 AM
I saw this movie one time that centered around people talking on a Citizen's (thanks robert) Band radio. I think they got chased by an 18 wheeler. Oh yeah... and these were the kinds w/ microphones.
Joy ride! That movie kicks ace! It's got Steve Zahn and that hot princess chick that I can never remember the name of.

robertf03
01-18-2005, 02:20 PM
C.W. McCall is actually a fictional character created by Manheim Steamroller

Graystroke
01-18-2005, 04:33 PM
C.W. McCall is actually a fictional character created by Manheim Steamroller
Does this also have to do with life and its beginning...or am I mixed up on this one?? If it does, thank you Robert Flemming :gigem:

uglyota
01-18-2005, 04:38 PM
My "Citizen's Band radio transceiver" only has 2 knobs and 2 buttons. It's much easier to use. Wanna trade? :D

agjohn02
01-18-2005, 05:24 PM
My "Citizen's Band radio transceiver" only has 2 knobs and 2 buttons. It's much easier to use. Wanna trade? :D

transceiver? does that mean it will transmit and receive? does this go back you what ya'll were saying earlier about some of them having a microphone you can talk into?