PDA

View Full Version : ARB and track bar PITA

BeachJeepin
01-17-2005, 12:56 AM
Okay so here's my problem... I have an ARB Air locker in my 8.8 rear axle. Since the diff is so tight there is very limited areas to put the air nozzle that connects the air line. Now whenever I am flexing, my adjustable track bar will hit the air nozzle. I am afraid to connect the air line because I KNOW it will get damaged. So i am unable to run my rear locker, which sucks. What are my options? Obviously I could run a tri-link setup to eliminate the track bar, but this costs too much for me. I could drill a new hole and plug up the old one, but I'm skeptical of where I'd have room in the diff. Or I could run without the track bar, which could be dangerous and could cause damge. Any other options? Has anyone run into this problem before?

I'm sure I've probably even damaged to air nozzle plug, ARB should send me this becasue I am still in warranty, correct?

http://www.tamor.org/members-rigs/albums/album101/DSCF00011.sized.jpg

uglyota
01-18-2005, 10:51 AM
weld it :D

8Runner
01-18-2005, 02:46 PM
Seems to me that there are some elbow fittings out there that I have heard of others using. I would reccomend doing a little creative searching on the pirate boards.

J Cooper
01-18-2005, 03:07 PM
... probably not a smart idea to just leave it open like that

BeachJeepin
01-18-2005, 03:12 PM
too bad its been open for over 6 months.. crap

uglyota
01-18-2005, 03:28 PM
it never occured to you that this might be a problem?

J Cooper
01-18-2005, 03:30 PM
well before you do anything... i would pull that cover off and make sure your diff isnt full of water and mud and make sure your ARB is fawkkedd... thats an air line.(goes directly inside the locker).. not a water line

jerryg79
01-18-2005, 03:34 PM
(goes directly inside the locker).. not a water line
but they told me at 4wheelparts that this was a water-cooled locker, sunnuva! :flipoff2:

J Cooper
01-18-2005, 03:46 PM
but they told me at 4wheelparts that this was a water-cooled locker, sunnuva! :flipoff2:

... buts its ok... an ARB is only like $750... plus setting up the gears... DOH!!

BeachJeepin
01-18-2005, 04:02 PM
it never occured to you that this might be a problem?

i don't have a problem with it working.. the problem lies with making a good airline connection. Read the thread starter.

Yeah i'm gonna replace that whole copper line that lies within the diff itself.

uglyota
01-18-2005, 04:35 PM
why don't you get a right angle nipple and set your bumpstops so they don't hit it? Or weld something around the nipple to protect it. Since your trackbar is adjustable, could you put a bend in it and lengthen it?

davido
01-18-2005, 10:05 PM
An elbow is the obvious choice, but just ****ing hook it up and see if it even comes close enough to break it. It may not even be an issue. If you're really worried about it, add a bump stop to your trackbar that hits on the top of the diff. The line is flexible and that will give it enough space to work with. Take a look at uglyotas shock mount for ideas or just weld on a mount. Shouldn't be that hard. Don't be afraid to actually fix the problem with the simplest solution.

AggieTJ2007
01-18-2005, 11:04 PM
the elbow and putting a bumpstop on the track bar that prevents that track bar from hitting the airline sounds like the best idea except the track bar might bend itself with a bumpstop on it

uglyota
01-19-2005, 09:26 AM
Don't be afraid to actually fix the problem with the simplest solution.
you've been immortalized (for a while anyway) :D