PDA

View Full Version : So it begins...

Cajun
08-12-2002, 10:35 PM
Started tearing into Diya's Scout this evening.

Before...

Cajun
08-12-2002, 10:36 PM
What do you mean the pistons don't go in the passenger seat?

Cajun
08-12-2002, 10:46 PM
This is the pile of crap that came with it. Somewhere in there are most of a 304, a pair of flat Goodyears that may or may not hold air, a spare wheel, and a bunch of oil. What you can't see is the kustom interior. The previous owner had coated the ENTIRE floor with tarpaper. That's right kids, it's not just for roofing anymore. So...I get to take the body off and haul the whole thing in to get blasted.

Cajun
08-12-2002, 10:49 PM
Me and my favorite piece of precision adjusting equipment where the 460 will eventually live.

Cajun
08-12-2002, 10:51 PM
The ousted Dana 44s and brand new (and for sale;) ) 31x10.50 General ATs

Cajun
08-12-2002, 10:53 PM
Here it is in it's present state:

Krawler68
08-13-2002, 08:11 AM
you're the ONLY person I know who can make a scout's engine compartment look very SMALL... congrats on the start.

AgDieseler
08-13-2002, 10:20 AM
I like the shop. Big and clean.

Jackasic
08-13-2002, 05:42 PM
I've only once or twice and I like her more and more.:D

what is the supension plan? how about a timeline. I think that you have top spot on "who's will run first". I'll take those hod caps off you hand if you want to let them go.

Keep us updated

Cajun
08-13-2002, 07:48 PM
The suspension plan is for Rancho 44044s all the way around. These are 2.5" Waggy springs for you non-dorks out there:D. They net about 4" on a YJ and work well to clear 38s when used in a spring over, which is what I have planned.

As for a timeline...I have no idea. My C6 and NP205 is supposed to ship tomorrow, we'll see. I'm trying to get the blasting of the body, frame, and D60s done through the "good 'ole boy" network, so that may take a while, but the end cost (or lack thereof:D) will justify that. Also, the timeline will be directly proportional to the progression of my welding and bending skills, which are just this side of non-existent right now.

On top of all this, I'm still trying to decide whether or not to hang onto the rear 60, or just ditch it for a 70 or 14 bolt.

As for the hub caps, I have all 4, and for $200 and a meal I'll deliver them and the pair of D44s to your door.:D

Cajun
08-13-2002, 07:49 PM
Oh, thanks David.

Cajun
08-17-2002, 11:17 PM
Mounted my bender:

Cajun
08-17-2002, 11:20 PM
Removed the body. Pictured are the help, from left to right is my brother's room mate Joe, my brother Matt (Matso here), and my buddy Josh.

(I love my engine hoist :D)

Cajun
08-17-2002, 11:25 PM
This is what happens when you're a dumbass and turn a large suspended load too quickly. Fortunately, nobody was hurt. Other than a slightly bend inner fender and small dent on the front left fender, I think the fall may have been beneficial for the Scout, as the impact shook loose a very large amount of dirt, rust, and other crap.

Cajun
08-17-2002, 11:28 PM
We pulled the tranny and t-case, but since nothing strange or nearly tragic happened, I didn't take pics. Nothing quite like a bare Scout frame in the sunset...

robertf03
08-18-2002, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Jackasic
I think that you have top spot on "who's will run first".

we'll see about that, waiting for some nissan parts to come in wednesday and hopefully next weekend the crapanese pile will be moving under its own power to free up some much needed garage and driveway space.

Hey Andy, why do you want to run 44044's? won't they move the axle forward and backward to the point where the cute scout fenders that hug the tire will have to be hacked to a Jeep style open front fender?

bburris
08-18-2002, 12:19 AM
mine'll be running perfect by the time you get your pile-o-nissan going...:D :D :D

Cajun
08-18-2002, 08:33 AM
I want to run 44044s 'cause they flex really well. The off-set centerpin shouldn't be enough to warrant a total hack job. I have a link to some pics of 44044s on a Scout II, but for whatever reason the link won't open for me this morning. I'll post it later.

As for cutting, I know I'll have some cutting to do. Hell, those fenders fit nice with the 31s that came on it, there's no way that 38s will work. I just don't want it to look like I did it with no plan and a hatchet.

StevenAg03
08-18-2002, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Cajun
I just don't want it to look like I did it with no plan and a hatchet.

kinda like how dougs rear fenders were cut all to hell? :D

davido
08-19-2002, 04:35 PM
Man, that is the UGLIEST engine I've ever seen. ;)

Remember, one weekend to take it apart, MANY to get it back together.

At least you have LOTs of space and big boys to help. Keep it up.~dso

StevenAg03
08-19-2002, 08:41 PM
Andy....stop posting then deleting it....it reeks havok on my email account...:D

Cajun
08-19-2002, 08:57 PM
All I accomplished tonight was removing the brake calipers, hubs, and steering components. It's off to the auto parts store tomorrow "special" socket :mad: and a king pin installer/remover.

This is where it got interesting. One of the hub covers was missing, so the internals were exposed to the elements for who knows how long. The snap-ring-esque retainer needed a bit of persuasion from the hot wrench, as it was rusted to the hub. No big deal. I removed the ring, outer locking gear, spring, and assorted hardware. The inner locking gear, the one that fits over the axle shaft, had become one with the shaft. I soaked it with liquid wrench and pried with the my BF prybar...No luck. I heated it then used the prybar...No luck. I hammered it...No luck. By this time, I was somewhat agitated by the stubbornness of this little gear, and turned to my torch for assistance. The one on the left is what it's supposed to look like.

StevenAg03
08-19-2002, 09:01 PM
i think you might have forgot to post the pic

Cajun
08-19-2002, 09:02 PM
It would probably help if I attached the pic...

Cajun
08-19-2002, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by StevenAg03
Andy....stop posting then deleting it....it reeks havok on my email account...:D

Oh, I'm sorry Steven. I'll be sure and refrain from doing that again. Please don't hesitate to let me know if there's anything else I can do to make your TAMOR BBS viewing experience a more pleasant one.

:flipoff2:

StevenAg03
08-19-2002, 09:06 PM
much appreciated andy.... http://offroadrepublic.com/fj40/pics-funnies/forum-thefinger.gifhttp://offroadrepublic.com/fj40/pics-funnies/forum-thefinger.gifhttp://offroadrepublic.com/fj40/pics-funnies/forum-thefinger.gif

whats the rest of the axle look like?

Cajun
08-19-2002, 09:46 PM
Like this:

AgDieseler
08-20-2002, 11:21 AM
I'll take that off your hands for $1.50 plus shipping.

Cajun
08-20-2002, 02:42 PM
Hmm, let's see...high pinion, reverse cut, and 35 spline inners. I'd say that's worth at least $3.00

:D

Cajun
01-08-2003, 01:38 PM
Here's how the axles currently look. Much cleaner, and waiting on funding for Detroits.

Cajun
01-08-2003, 01:40 PM
I plated the frame with 1/4" steel for 2 reasons. One being to allow for the necessary 3/4" outboard and shackle reversal, and the second to better support the eventual winch/bumper mounts.

Cajun
01-08-2003, 01:41 PM
My pile o' parts

aggielr
01-08-2003, 07:50 PM
i love how guys who work on thier rigs can take a perfectly clean, nice shop/garage and in about 2 hours have it lookin like a small corner of a junk yard, oil all over the place, pieces of parts layin around, even when trying to keep it clean, it just seems to be unavoidable

Cajun
01-21-2003, 07:49 PM
I got bored, so I shaved the 14 bolt.

The severed pieces, I removed .539"

Cajun
01-21-2003, 07:51 PM
From the bottom:

Cajun
01-21-2003, 07:52 PM
From the yoke:

Cajun
01-21-2003, 07:53 PM
With the cover:

stinger7401
01-22-2003, 02:33 AM
man thats a sexy rear, by george were can i get a rear that sexy?

nice avatar:D

Cajun
03-03-2003, 08:14 AM
No real progress, I got the body back from blasting and updated some pics.

http://www.offroadrepublic.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album04

Cajun
01-04-2004, 07:06 PM
Between work, working on the K5, and working on landscaping and a deck for the house progress on the Scout has been slow to say the least. I have been making some headway, and here are a few pics to prove it:

Got tires, 39.5" x 15" TSLs. Got my Hummer wheels powdercoated. Got HDPE beadlock inserts from Stazworks and bolted the whole mess together. A LOT of bolts, A LOT of time. Bling!

Cajun
01-04-2004, 07:12 PM
Got the body on the frame for mock ups and got the front axle bolted in. I don't have a front bumper or winch on there, but I'm very happy with my approach angle:

Cajun
01-04-2004, 07:18 PM
The wide (36.5") spring perches on the 60 I bought from James necessitated some changes. I widened the frame to address the spring width, but due to the 7" of backspacing in the Hummer wheels they hit the springs when turned. I opted to swap in dually hubs rather than re-center my wheels. I'll be building spacers for the rear 70 to get the track widths close. I don't have an exact overall width measurement up front, but calculating puts me around 90". I don't think stability will be an issue:

bburris
01-04-2004, 08:45 PM
I thought you were using a 14 bolt...? Do you have a SRW D70? My buddy Paul has a DRW D70 that might match up and save you some time fabbing spacers...if you haven't already put a lot of effort into it. He would probably be up for an even swap...

Cajun
01-04-2004, 09:29 PM
I had a 14 bolt, I sold it along with the '79 60 that I had when I bought James' axles. I do have a SRW 70, but the DRW version is actually narrower than the axle I have, IIRC. The DRW trucks get their width in the rear because the wheels have so little backspacing when they're flipped. Plus my 70 is already has a limited silp and 5.13s.

Thanks though.

PS, are you coming to CS anytime soon? I sold my rubber beadlock/runflats to Blake and was wondering if I got them to CS if you could bring them to Corpus.

bburris
01-04-2004, 09:46 PM
Yeah, if you leave them in CS I can get them here no problem.

How wide is your D70? The truck we cut up had a DRW D70 and it's something like 72" wide... Useless to any of us, but Paul has been trying to find someone that has some use for it.

Cajun
01-04-2004, 11:24 PM
72"? If that's the case it may very well be of use to me. Is it 35 spline? If so, and I can swap my gears and limited slip I may swap your friend.

I'll let you know.

bburris
01-05-2004, 04:42 AM
Let me double check the width tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure it was 72" wide. Let me talk to him about a swap...

bburris
01-08-2004, 10:02 PM
I just measured and it's ~73" wide. I pulled a shaft and it is 35 spline, so all your stuff will swap into it. Let me know if you want to swap...

Then your D70 may end up under my Jeep.:D

Cajun
07-20-2004, 09:58 PM
Wow, 6 months since my last update. Despite that, there has been progress during that time and once again I have pics to prove it. Since I'm apparently not cool enought to be in the "projects" forum, I'll continue my thread here. :flipoff2:

Picked up a winch and a couple of bumpers, one of which I think I can use parts of...not bad for $200. :gigem:
http://www.offroadrepublic.com/gallery/albums/album04/aav.sized.jpg

You can barely make them out in this pic, but the motor mounts are done as is the crossmember for the t-cases...unlike my own the Scout's belly will be completely flat. Motor is off at Houston Engine & Balancing for some love, should be great fun once it's home. Wheelbase has been stretched 9" to 109". Springs are RS44044s front and 57" F-150 rear.
http://www.offroadrepublic.com/gallery/albums/album04/aaw.sized.jpg

One more pic of the profile. I'll try and get some pics up of the suspension and whatnot.
http://www.offroadrepublic.com/gallery/albums/album04/aay.sized.jpg

Jackasic
07-20-2004, 10:35 PM
i'm digging it, i realy like the marks on the fenders for where to cut :D

jerryg79
07-20-2004, 11:47 PM
i'm digging it, i realy like the marks on the fenders for where to cut :D

well as long as you long you approve :rolleyes:

BigRedFord04
07-21-2004, 12:03 AM
well as long as you long you approve :rolleyes:
had much to drink much tonite jerry? :flipoff2:

Graystroke
07-21-2004, 02:20 AM
andy, did you ever decide what you're going to do w/ the front hubs using the hummer wheels? How far will the hub stick out past the rim? just curious cause I will be in the same boat when I start on my project...hopefully in the next couple of months when the new shop gets built. :)
ps: it looks good! i like the approach angle!

jerryg79
07-21-2004, 02:36 AM
had much to drink much tonite jerry? :flipoff2:
Maybe, but that thing looks friggin angry! :p

Cajun
07-21-2004, 06:55 AM
andy, did you ever decide what you're going to do w/ the front hubs using the hummer wheels? How far will the hub stick out past the rim? just curious cause I will be in the same boat when I start on my project...hopefully in the next couple of months when the new shop gets built. :)
ps: it looks good! i like the approach angle!

Yup. I used dually hubs up front, so the hub dosen't protrude past the wheel at all up front. The flanges on the rear stick out probably 3"-4", just guessing. I'm not very concerned with damaging the flanges on the D70 however.

Thanks for the complements guys...I guess that was a complement Jerry :D . Good eye on my preliminary trim lines Brandini. I'm pretty stoked about the approach angle, though it will be taking a hit when I mount my winch, but I don't think I'll lose more than 5*. Departure angle turned out better than I expected, and will be slightly better than pictured once I do some trimming.

More random info...After I took those pics my brother-in-law and I yanked the dash, steering column, and useless wiring. I wound up using the dually 70 that Brett had in Corpus to match my front track width...a belated "thanks" to Austin and Tate for giving it a home for a while. Rear disk conversion is done, rear is welded w/5.13s, front is Detroit w/5.13s. Rear springs are inboarded. They are very soft and will flex very well; I just hope it's not too unstable. It sits a bit high in the rear, and 700 or so pounds of big block and winch won't help so I'm thinking about pulling the overloads on the rear springs. Any pros/cons to this? I'll be running a "Sam's Offroad-style" anti-wrap bar, so axle wrap shouldn't be an issue.

I guess the next step is adding a liberal dose of the plasma cutter to the bed floor.

BigRedFord04
07-21-2004, 12:44 PM
i've taken the overload springs off every set of leaves i've ever installed. i dont think it will cause a problem. if anything it will flex more. i just hope the motor doesnt squish the front. did you move the motor mounts back at all?

Cajun
07-21-2004, 03:49 PM
i've taken the overload springs off every set of leaves i've ever installed. i dont think it will cause a problem. if anything it will flex more. i just hope the motor doesnt squish the front. did you move the motor mounts back at all?

When I had the motor, trans, and both cases in the front was only 1.5" lower than it is now. The springs are Grand Waggy lift springs, so they're rated for Jeep V-8s...though I know the Ford motor & winch combo will be heavier. I don't remember how the new motor mounts locate in comparison to the factory ones, but I located the engine as far back as I could without contacting the firewall...and I still think I'm going to have to locate the radiator out back.

Good to know about the rears, I'm still hoping they'll settle once I get some weight in the back.

Graystroke
07-21-2004, 09:34 PM
Maybe it will settle if you take the jackstand out from under it! :flipoff2:

BigRedFord04
07-21-2004, 10:39 PM
yeah....the only real purpose for that overload spring i've ever seen on something that doesnt get 2000lbs put in the back is the extra 3/4" lift it gives b.c. its so damn thick.

usmcagg02
07-22-2004, 10:32 AM
austin...i love your quote :laughing:

Cajun
08-08-2004, 05:38 PM
Maybe it will settle if you take the jackstand out from under it! :flipoff2:

That jackstand is to give my t-cases a bit of support 'till I can fab a second crossmember.

More to the point, progress!

Finished building the box for my propane tanks, chopped out the old rusted bed floor, built a subfloor for support, and cut, broke, fit, and welded the floor in.

Propane tank box and subfloor:
http://www.offroadrepublic.com/gallery/albums/album04/aaz.sized.jpg

New 16 Ga. floor welded in:
http://www.offroadrepublic.com/gallery/albums/album04/aba.sized.jpg

About half of my bottles will be below the floor line:
http://www.offroadrepublic.com/gallery/albums/album04/abb.sized.jpg

I'm planning on the finished product looking something like the in-law's ride:
http://www.offroadrepublic.com/gallery/albums/album04/abd.sized.jpg

Here's what the rest of it looks like, can't remember if I ever posted pics of the finished product:
http://www.offroadrepublic.com/gallery/albums/album04/abc.sized.jpg

uglyota
08-09-2004, 08:29 AM
yours is lookin pimp!
Nice!
those half doors look...functional ;)

AgDieseler
08-09-2004, 10:20 AM
In the words of the frenchman in Monty Python's Quest for the Holy Grail..."Oh yes, it's a very nice."

Jackasic
08-09-2004, 02:18 PM
looking good Andy, I need to get back ou there this fall for some wrench'n.

Cajun
08-09-2004, 03:33 PM
looking good Andy, I need to get back ou there this fall for some wrench'n.

I'm kinda getting blocked in w/o a motor, so I think I'm going to start bending a 'cage in the near future. If you're still interested, don't mind my design, and don't mind suffering the heat we can get yours knocked out at the same time. I know you wanted to do something different with the bed area, but the cab portion of the cage should be the same. Shouldn't be too difficult (in theory ;) ) to duplicate parts from the "B" hoop forward. What say you?

Fredo
08-09-2004, 04:15 PM
looking Good Andy....did you have to reconstruct the floor supports in the rear or just the rear floor? I need to repair the whole rear bed in mine but I haven't decided how I'm going to do it yet.

Cajun
08-09-2004, 04:26 PM
looking Good Andy....did you have to reconstruct the floor supports in the rear or just the rear floor? I need to repair the whole rear bed in mine but I haven't decided how I'm going to do it yet.

Thanks for the compliments guys.

On mine, the rear bed was in good shape but nearly completely rusted away along the perhiphery. The original floor supports were in good shape, but where they met the bed sides had rusted out. I would've loved to have saved them but there was nothing to attach them to. This seemed to be the easiest fix for my problem, since between the tank box, rear seat, and yet-to-be-added storage baskets I will have virtually no empty floor area.

Cajun
09-08-2004, 07:24 PM
Cage is done, save the frame tie-ins:
http://www.offroadrepublic.com/gallery/albums/album04/abg.sized.jpg
http://www.offroadrepublic.com/gallery/albums/album04/abk.sized.jpg http://www.offroadrepublic.com/gallery/albums/album04/abl.sized.jpg http://www.offroadrepublic.com/gallery/albums/album04/abm.sized.jpg

Jackasic
09-08-2004, 07:45 PM
pimp-tastic

bburris
09-09-2004, 12:29 AM
Got bracing?

That thing looks tough! Great job on the cage.

AgDieseler
09-09-2004, 08:59 AM
sweet

uglyota
09-09-2004, 09:25 AM
stock hardtop still fit?
I like!

Cajun
09-10-2004, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the compliments guys. To answer your question Eric the hardtop does not fit. Not that I was ever going to use it anyway, since the "flange" on the bottom is all but rusted away. Anyone want a free Scout II hardtop? :laughing:

Trans went to the shop Wednesday and I ordered my motor yesterday. Reman. 460 from a '71 Lincoln MkIII, 365 hp/500 ft.# factory, 10.5:1 compression, .040 over, cam upgrade (RV-style), & Melling oil pump. Dual quad intake manifold is here, ordering my propane setup Monday. Should be fun. :gigem:

usmcagg02
09-10-2004, 12:01 PM
Anyone want a free Scout II hardtop? :laughing:

if you cant find any other use for it then use it for a target :gigem:

Lynda
09-10-2004, 01:31 PM
Where are all the pictures of Diya working on it? If you don't have any....stage a few :)

J Cooper
09-10-2004, 01:39 PM
Anyone want a free Scout II hardtop? :laughing:

jimmy???? :laughing: :flipoff2:

Fredo
09-10-2004, 02:02 PM
nah, jimmy's scout is holding up my hardtop right now since I put the halfcab on. It almost makes his scout look complete again...well, except for the lack of a windshield frame. :)

Cajun
10-08-2004, 02:43 PM
A bit more progress. Added some armor to the rear quarters, fixes my rust problem and relocates the wheelwell. I also added a swing out door bar to the cage. Sorry, pic is kinda dark:
http://www.offroadrepublic.com/gallery/albums/album04/abn.sized.jpg

The aforementioned door bar, swung out. Final plans call for a receiver hitch pin in the top for simplicity. After I got it in, I realized I could put the pin in the front bushing and have suicide door bars! :laughing:
http://www.offroadrepublic.com/gallery/albums/album04/abo.sized.jpg

In related news, the transmission is back from the shop, all rebuilt with a mild towing shift kit and lower stall speed converter. My longblock is also in my posession waiting for me to throw some brackets and accessories on it. Any input as to whether a high volume water pump is worth the extra $$? I'm looking at $17 for a NAPA reman or $90 for a Milodon steel high volume.

Jackasic
10-08-2004, 03:24 PM
looking good Andy. I think a high volune oil pump would be worth it, faster water flow probably wouldn't, not enough time for the heat to transfer. What type of fans and radiator are you going to run?

Cajun
10-08-2004, 05:06 PM
I have a Melling high volume oil pump ready to go, so that's good news. I plan on running a Taurus electric fan and a 26" aluminum radidiator from Speedway Motors (http://www.speedwaymotors.com/product.ASP?wc=true&strBase_List=&hilt=&source=2191&base_no=91734722&str_base_no=%20000%2DCATALOG+RACE%2C91082200%2C917 342%2C91734202%<br%20&>%202C91734203%2C91734205%2C917343%2C91734465%2C917 345<br%20=&>%2C91734700%2C91734722%2C=&header_title=Race+Products%2DRadiators&page_name=prod%5Flist%5Fdisplay%2Easp&search_type=L2%7E34&search_option=&deptsearch=&dept_id=L2%7E34&dept_id_p=&dept_name=&dept_name_p=Race+Products&ShowImages=yes&sq=0&cont=1&intPgNo=1&redirect=) (thanks Flem!:gigem: ). I'm anticipating having to cut a hole in the hood for the air cleaner to fit, so hopefully between being able to pull in air from outside the engine bay and having no inner fenders at all she'll stay cool. Who knows, I may even try some of that fancy synthetic coolant.

robertf03
10-08-2004, 05:13 PM
I have a Melling high volume oil pump ready to go, so that's good news. I plan on running a Taurus electric fan and a 26" aluminum radidiator from Speedway Motors (thanks Flem!:gigem: ).

You sure I told you about them? Must have been drinkin

I say regular water pump too. I've had a water pump take a dump on the trail and an off the shelf one swapped right in (thanks Mark!:gigem: ) , I'd hate to have a cooling system that required a $90 mail order pump.

Fredo
10-08-2004, 05:28 PM
You sure I told you about them? Must have been drinkin

I say regular water pump too. I've had a water pump take a dump on the trail and an off the shelf one swapped right in (thanks Mark!:gigem: ) , I'd hate to have a cooling system that required a $90 mail order pump.

or a $175 electric pump crapping out and leaving you in the ghetto near Hwy 35 in Dallas. But now I have a backup. :D

BigRedFord04
10-08-2004, 07:07 PM
i'll 3rd the discrediting of a HV water pump. talked to a lot of engine people while working at Vilas and the concensus is that water moves too fast to let the water cool off. I've put a HV oil pump in my 5.0 when i rebuilt it and am not especially pleased. the pressure bounces up and down ALL the time and never gets high enough to make me comfortable....but its got ~25K on it and still going. i dig the door bars. leaf spring bushings are so useful.

AgDieseler
10-08-2004, 10:50 PM
As for the HV water pump, it depends. How much heat does the 460 make, and where does it make it? If most of the heat transfer is to the cylinder walls, then a standard flow pump should be fine. If there is a large amount of heat transfer to the heads (usually dependent on injection style), then a higher flow unit may be a good idea.

On my engine, most of the heat transfer is in the heads since that's where the combustino actually takes place, so a 130 gpm pump is on the list. Your 460 may not be so sensitive, but I don't know how propane would affect that.

Cajun
10-27-2004, 10:03 AM
A bit more progress. I got the bed area taken care of, new 16 ga. floor and wheelwells are in. In keeping with the bastard theme of this rig, the wheelwells are standard GM issue. I cut out the inner bedsides, slid the wheelwells through, and spot welded them to the inside of my diamond plate armor. I also finished one rock slider/cage mount and trimmed the front fenders.

Doug Krebs
10-27-2004, 01:26 PM
Andy, I can't see what you did with the rocker, but on mine i cut the rocker out and just welded 2x4 box in place. It's very solid and it gives you more ground clearance.

AgDieseler
10-27-2004, 01:42 PM
Very nice. The more I look at the cage, the more I like it. Have you set yourself a deadline, or is this just "going to be done when it's done?"

Cajun
10-27-2004, 03:27 PM
Doug, I just butted 2"x2" tubing up against the bottom of my rocker and the seam where the rocker is spot welded to the body. I could've cut the rocker up but I would've lost the seam which adds a lot of strength to the body.

As for deadlines, the baby is due March 15. I'd really like to be finished by, or very soon after, then. I have just about all the parts I need, save the steering system. It's just a matter of putting them all together!

StevenAg03
10-27-2004, 05:43 PM
the baby is due March 15.

thats one hell of a day to be born :gigem:

agjohn02
10-27-2004, 05:53 PM
that things looking sweet! someday, when mines not a DD, i want it looking like that.

Doug Krebs
10-27-2004, 11:04 PM
You might loose that seam, but you'll gain alot more strenght than stock. It stiffened my body up quite a bit and it got rid of some of the popping noises... You can see what I'm talking about in this pic.

http://www.offroadrepublic.com/gallery/albums/albun57/aaa.sized.jpg

BMFScout
10-28-2004, 06:29 PM
I plan on replacing my rusted ass rockers with something like what dougie did, probably tie in the cage and seats to it somehow, not sure about all that yet.

Cajun
11-15-2004, 12:55 PM
Tore it down, painted the frame, started assembly on the motor and got the drivetrain in, hopefully for the last time. I'm trying to get my timing cover and accessory brackets bead blasted, so hopefully I'll get that taken care of this week and get the motor completely assembled. Shocks and steering are en route, so I'll be keeping an eye out for the UPS man.

Chadnutz
11-15-2004, 01:17 PM
That valve cover says Ford right? :D

I thought you were going to run portals??

Cajun
11-15-2004, 01:19 PM
Yes, the valve cover says Ford. The 'Mog 404s I have are for another project :)

robertf03
11-15-2004, 02:05 PM
thats a mean looking engine, what cam did you go with?

Did you do a side mount on that 205? that looks like it could be a lot of weight bouncing around hanging off of al-yoo-mini-ummm

TxCruzr
11-15-2004, 02:28 PM
They jump me for having a carb and you have two....wtf :D
What motor is that? Looks good.

BigRedFord04
11-15-2004, 02:30 PM
that would be a Fo-Sizzty....fo shizzle.

jerryg79
11-15-2004, 02:52 PM

Dont need no gas, it's Propane!

agjohn02
11-15-2004, 02:54 PM
What motor is that? Looks good.

[Hank Hill]you dont get jumped if you use propane and propane accesories.[/Hank Hill]

Cajun
11-15-2004, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the compliments. Yup, it's propane. I wasn't happy with the way the 454 in the in-law's K5 performed with one Impco 425 mixer, so I figured I'd just toss 2 on my big block. 850 cfm of 107 octane goodness :D

The motor is a 460, .040 over and balanced, 10.5:1 compression. Cam is an Elgin Pro Stock, .484/.484 so nothing too radical. It was recommended to me by the guy I bought my propane accessories from ;)

robertf03
11-15-2004, 04:17 PM
what are you doing for igntion? I had an idea that would use regular throttlebody injection (or 2 tbi's in your case) with a prom selector from moates.net so you can run multiple chips at the push of a button. have that same button kill the power to the pump and injectors and go to a timing table better suited to propane and have dual fuel capabilites. You'd have super accurate timing, all the goodness of HEI, and then propane wouldn't be so gay :flipoff2:

uglyota
11-15-2004, 04:25 PM
what are you doing for igntion? I had an idea that would use regular throttlebody injection (or 2 tbi's in your case) with a prom selector from moates.net so you can run multiple chips at the push of a button. have that same button kill the power to the pump and injectors and go to a timing table better suited to propane and have dual fuel capabilites. You'd have super accurate timing, all the goodness of HEI, and then propane wouldn't be so gay :flipoff2:
wutchu talkin bout dangol puttin puters nder jus set datol timin jus raht for wide open she'll cough alil at idle but not whar it matters baby dangol pedal to the medal soo-wee!

Cajun
11-15-2004, 04:53 PM

I am Jack's confusion. Is your idea only applicable in a dual fuel system? Forgive my ignorance in this area, perhaps I need the elementary school version. :laughing:

I need a system that delivers a hot, consistent spark but dosen't cost an arm & a leg. I'm looking at HEI distributors and am pretty sure I'm going to go that route, but I'm still undecided on whether to go electronic ignition (MSD 6AL) or not. What say you?

robertf03
11-15-2004, 05:01 PM
Sorry, spewing out random thoughts. I've been considering a setup like that on my CJ incase the fuel level ever gets lower than the pickup. then a small coleman bottle could get me to flat land. If you really wanted to do that, you could just use a tbi computer to control the timing and not do dual fuel You'll have to somehow add a tps to the throttle.

Rev limiter would be a nice feature if you do the 6al. I wouldn't spend money on a custom HEI. I did that on the CJ and fitment sucked. I had an equally strong ignition on my ford using factory ignition with an HEI module and some spade connectors. Did the same thing to my dad's rover and the idle is much better than the lucas crap.

http://www.gofastforless.com/ignition/tfi.htm explains how to do that.

Cajun
11-15-2004, 06:24 PM
I read the link you posted Flem and about 90% of that is Greek to me. This may be one of those situations where it's worth it to spend a bit more for an easier install. Would this distributor (http://www.fastengineparts.com/products_view.php?id=1651) and the MSD 6-Offroad (http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=3064&prmenbr=361) control module work together? What else would I need?

TIA

agjohn02
11-15-2004, 07:33 PM
wutchu talkin bout dangol puttin puters nder jus set datol timin jus raht for wide open she'll cough alil at idle but not whar it matters baby dangol pedal to the medal soo-wee!

props to you Boomhower(sp)

uglyota
11-16-2004, 09:24 AM
so where's a cheap place to get a 6al?
do any of the other ignitions give you a rev limiter?

Cajun
11-16-2004, 09:54 AM
The 6AL has a rev limiter, the 6 Offroad does not. Also, some of the Mallory and Crane units offer rev limiters. Both Summit and Jegs offer the 6AL for around $195.

BigRedFord04
11-16-2004, 04:21 PM
you can get rebuilt ones thru Austin performance for about $160, and supposedly they're better b.c. they're put together by hand, and not a machine.

Cajun
11-17-2004, 09:29 PM
you can get rebuilt ones thru Austin performance for about $160, and supposedly they're better b.c. they're put together by hand, and not a machine.

Got a link or phone #?

BigRedFord04
11-17-2004, 11:09 PM
AUSTIN PERFORMANCE & SPECIALTY EQUIPMENT
10716 N LAMAR BLVD, AUSTIN, TX 78753
Phone: (512) 832-5566

Cajun
02-07-2005, 10:32 AM
More progress and mess.

Steering is finished, less plumbing:
http://www.offroadrepublic.com/gallery/albums/album46/aae.sized.jpg

Rear axle anti-wrap bar mount:
http://www.offroadrepublic.com/gallery/albums/album46/aaf.sized.jpg

Anti-wrap bar from the rear, and Kustom diff cover:
http://www.offroadrepublic.com/gallery/albums/album46/aah.sized.jpg

ORD triple stick:
http://www.offroadrepublic.com/gallery/albums/album46/aai.sized.jpg

uglyota
02-07-2005, 10:50 AM
did you get a stamp or something with the spade on it?
:cool:

Cajun
02-07-2005, 10:59 AM
I had them lazer cut by Blue Torch Fab when I ordered the flanges to build my diff rings.

uglyota
02-07-2005, 11:03 AM
oh so that cover is the DIY kit?
Is that gonna be your pinion angle in the 2nd pic?
TCC3?

Cajun
02-07-2005, 11:08 AM
oh so that cover is the DIY kit?
Is that gonna be your pinion angle in the 2nd pic?
TCC3?

Nope, no kit. I bought a 3/8" flange and fabbed the rest. Other than the flange, it's 3/4" sch. 40 for the sunken bolts and 9 pieces of 1/4" plate for the cover :cool: Pinion angle won't be that hight, but it'll definitely be turned up. I'm thinking more like Memorial Day '05 for it's first real run.

EDIT: I would hope that something that came it kit form wouldn't look so kludged together :laughing:

uglyota
02-07-2005, 11:10 AM
schweet...

BigRedFord04
02-07-2005, 11:10 PM
dayum knee-grow! those are some purdy welds holding the anti-wrap bar mount on!

Cajun
02-08-2005, 07:41 AM
Sanku. The uphill lace for the second pass is your friend :)

Fortunately you can't see some of the others holding the anti-wrap mount on. I don't break out my stick welder that often, and the nickel rods I used were...different.
:confused2

Moose
02-08-2005, 08:33 AM
thank you for doing all that work and not installing TRE's. looks bootiful!

davido
02-08-2005, 12:19 PM
Wicked pissa. Now kluge the rest together and get it on the trail!

Cajun
02-28-2005, 11:47 AM
Waiting on steering shaft parts, so I mounted the hydroboost, finished off the triple stick, and started on the dash.

Hydroboost is from a '98 Dodge 1 ton. I now have parts from all of the Big 3! "It's a '49, '50, '51, '52..." :laughing:
http://www.offroadrepublic.com/gallery/albums/albuo91/aac.sized.jpg

Dash framework:
http://www.offroadrepublic.com/gallery/albums/albuo91/aaa.sized.jpg
http://www.offroadrepublic.com/gallery/albums/albuo91/aab.sized.jpg

The gauges and switch panel will mount on the vertical parrellelogram :D shaped piece. Seat mounts will tie into the horizontal bars running up the trans tunnel. I need to order a shift panel, and am looking at this (http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?Ntt=switch+panel&N=%2D117970&part=MOR%2D74134&autoview=sku&Ntk=KeywordSearch) one right now. I want a reasonably priced lighted switch panel, so if you guys have any suggestions I'd appreciate it.

uglyota
02-28-2005, 12:28 PM
this guy might be able to help you: http://www.12voltguy.com/

stx4wheeler
02-28-2005, 12:40 PM
them triple sticks is sexy.

Sharpe
02-28-2005, 12:47 PM
this guy might be able to help you: http://www.12voltguy.com/
That's where I got my switchpanel in the burb.

Cajun
02-28-2005, 01:16 PM
While everything I've seen from 12voltguy is rad, it's just too damn expensive for me to justify. His 5 switch panel is more that 2x the Moroso one, unless the has the cheap chit listed somewhere else.

Sharpe
02-28-2005, 01:41 PM
I had a 12x3" 11 switch panel with 1 being the in-cab winch control made by him and it came out to like $100 shipped. This was with like 7 switches w/ LED (color of my chosing) and the red flippy covers with decals on them, with the rest of the holes plugged. I looked at some of the panels in Summit and they are like $200 for a 6 switch panel thats not even custom!! I havent shopped around cause I liked his stuff the best but IMO its worth the money. Here's a pic of my panel.

agjohn02
02-28-2005, 02:47 PM
nitrous, huh?

Sharpe
02-28-2005, 02:57 PM
No thats for the battery isolator ***. The master arm one is for the OBA system b/c he didnt have any OBA related decals.

Cajun
02-28-2005, 03:02 PM
Very nice panel. Did you call him or e-mail him for that price on a custom panel? He has an 8 switch panel similar to yours listed for $145.

Sharpe
02-28-2005, 03:24 PM
I PM'd him on coloradok5.com I dont know if I got a good deal cause I'm a member there or what but he's a good guy to deal with. I also got a 12 circuit fuse panel from him to use with the switches.

TexTJ209
02-28-2005, 06:22 PM
Or if you're cheap and have the fab skills..those switches can be had for $4.95 a pop on sounddomain.com, make the panel, add the lights, do the wiring.

Cajun
05-12-2005, 09:21 PM
Hhhhokay. My digicam crapped out on me, so between getting a new one, installing software, having a kid, having a job, and caring for said kid and wife I have managed to get some work done. Here's the proof:

1 coat of paint, sanded again waiting for the front fenders and hood...and a relatively non-humid day:
http://www.offroadrepublic.com/gallery/albums/album04/abs.sized.jpg

Motorvation:
http://www.offroadrepublic.com/gallery/albums/album04/abv.sized.jpg

Front view, sans headlight bezels and parts of the grille. I had to chop the grille into 3 pieces to fit around the grille guard. Which, BTW, is a "slightly" modified Warn unit from a '90s GMC:
http://www.offroadrepublic.com/gallery/albums/album04/abw.sized.jpg

Dash:
http://www.offroadrepublic.com/gallery/albums/album04/abu.sized.jpg

http://www.offroadrepublic.com/gallery/albums/album04/abt.sized.jpg

Sorry about the blurry pics, I'm still getting used to my camera. It runs, but I'm waiting on my driveshafts to show up from High Angle. They should be here Wednesday the 18th and installed that night along with some finish welding on the antiwrap bar. It'll go out for exhaust the next day, which should give me a week to troubleshoot before Memorial Day weekend.

Left on the to do list:
--Install Driveshafts
--Exhaust
--Wire fans for trans cooler & ps cooler
--Plumb hydro lines for steering
--Attach fairlead
--Fab ice chest mount
--Break in camshaft
--Install console
--Minor welding and double check bolts/nuts.

I'll get to the on-board air and on-board welder later, I'm just ready to get the damn thing out of the shop.

agjohn02
05-12-2005, 10:44 PM

Jackasic
05-12-2005, 11:00 PM
dang, you have made some serious progress Andy! I guess I'll have to drag my junk up there for M-day.

Sharpe
05-12-2005, 11:00 PM
Hey you ripped off my switch panel! Man that looks schwing-in sweet. Please dont kill me for this but is that a bronco or a scout? The body looks kinda scouty to me but I see Ford engine. Me confused.

Jackasic
05-12-2005, 11:01 PM
pss, check the name on the center consol, or page one ;)

Sharpe
05-12-2005, 11:03 PM
Oh there it is.

Cajun
05-12-2005, 11:07 PM
Premium quality Falstaff beer :gigem:

Cajun
05-12-2005, 11:11 PM
dang, you have made some serious progress Andy! I guess I'll have to drag my junk up there for M-day.

Thanks, I think I've crossed the threshold into obsession. Is it a problem that I've fallen asleep in the shop on more than one occasion? Should I be concerned? :laughing:

Yes, you should drag your junk up there for M-day. That way if my junk falls apart I can bum a ride on your fly seat covers. :flipoff2:

Cajun
05-12-2005, 11:14 PM
Hey you ripped off my switch panel! Man that looks schwing-in sweet. Please dont kill me for this but is that a bronco or a scout? The body looks kinda scouty to me but I see Ford engine. Me confused.

Thanks for the hookup on the switch panel. As for the Scout, it's easy to get confused.

Body & Frame: International
Engine: Ford
Trans & t-cases: Ford
Front axle: Ford
Rear axle: GMC
Brakes: Dodge

What's brand loyalty?

Jackasic
05-13-2005, 12:11 AM
the Polynesian seat covers are no more ;) Gots me a "cage" now. Just need to get the brakes working right ...

BMFScout
05-13-2005, 02:21 AM
that's a bad dood Andy

redcagepatrol
05-13-2005, 09:13 AM
lookin good!

Graystroke
05-13-2005, 08:02 PM
i like it. can it do a four wheel burnout accompanied with a shift into second and continue the burnout action?

Cajun
05-13-2005, 08:48 PM
Dunno, it hasn't moved under it's own power yet :laughing:

Can you hammer a 6" spike through a board with your penis?

Cajun
05-22-2005, 05:10 PM
It's been an interesting week. Long story short, I pulled the trans on Thurs and re-installed on Sat., in record 96* heat, because I didn't have enough fluid in it. This was the result of me being an idiot, an apparently unnecessarily long Lokar dipstick, a misunderstanding of a manual, and me being an idiot. At any rate, she's all together, minus a few asthetic odds & ends.

Loaded up to go get exhaust tomorrow:
http://www.offroadrepublic.com/gallery/albums/album04/abx.sized.jpg
http://www.offroadrepublic.com/gallery/albums/album04/aca.sized.jpg

Rear storage area and propane tanks:
http://www.offroadrepublic.com/gallery/albums/album04/aby.sized.jpg
The area above the tanks holds an icechest, batteries are to either side of the tanks under the plastic covers.

Better pic of dash panel:
http://www.offroadrepublic.com/gallery/albums/album04/abz.sized.jpg

jerryg79
05-22-2005, 05:13 PM
Damn that thing looks angry! Badass!

usmcagg02
05-22-2005, 06:02 PM
i like how you have the most important accessory of all....a bottle opener.

jwingfield2k
05-22-2005, 06:36 PM
thats perty!

aggieblazer07
05-22-2005, 07:33 PM
I'm jealous :(

AgDieseler
05-23-2005, 05:06 PM
Sweet action, Chief.

mudtoy67
05-23-2005, 05:09 PM
All I can say is wow! :gigem:

fbronco86
05-23-2005, 05:13 PM
sweet

Cajun
05-23-2005, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the compliments. It's back from the exhaust shop, and it's still loud. The "freebie" Flowmaster will most likely get swapped out at a later date, but it'll have to do for this trip. In other less pleasant news, it runs like crap. I'm having timing issues, so before departure Thurs. night, I have to:

--Set timing
--Set idle
--Mount bumpstops
--Mount shocks
--Fab skidplate

It's gonna be a looooooong few days, but I can sleep next week, right?

:laughing:

Graystroke
05-23-2005, 10:00 PM
hey, what happened to the kustom diff cover?

Cajun
05-24-2005, 01:01 AM
hey, what happened to the kustom diff cover?

They both leak...badly. The heat from welding warped the flange, so they need a trip to the machine shop. I'm not giving up on them, but they won't make the maiden voyage.

robertf03
05-24-2005, 01:08 AM
They both leak...badly. The heat from welding warped the flange, so they need a trip to the machine shop. I'm not giving up on them, but they won't make the maiden voyage.

more rtv :gigem:

any plans on taking it to a scale? It would be interesting to see what its at.

Cajun
05-24-2005, 01:39 AM
I'd love to get it on a scale. I think I eliminated just about all the frivolous stuff, but I think it's safe to say no one will ever call it a lightweight rig. :laughing:

AgDieseler
05-24-2005, 08:03 AM
Can you hammer a 6" spike through a board with your penis?
But - and I am only saying that because I care - there's a lot of decaffeinated brands on the market that are just as tasty as the real thing.

Cajun
05-24-2005, 11:32 AM
But - and I am only saying that because I care - there's a lot of decaffeinated brands on the market that are just as tasty as the real thing.

:gigem:

davido
05-25-2005, 01:27 AM
--Set timing
--Set idle
--Mount bumpstops
--Mount shocks
--Fab skidplate

What? You're done and you don't even know it. And it looks great by the way. Trust me when I say that there is absolutely no need to do those items anytime soon. Well, maybe timing. Idle can be done after the first couple of runs. So can the skidplate. I'm beginning to wonder if shocks are even necessary. What are bump stops? Finito! So when do you start on the CJ?

Cajun
05-25-2005, 09:49 AM
What? You're done and you don't even know it. And it looks great by the way. Trust me when I say that there is absolutely no need to do those items anytime soon. Well, maybe timing. Idle can be done after the first couple of runs. So can the skidplate. I'm beginning to wonder if shocks are even necessary. What are bump stops? Finito! So when do you start on the CJ?

:laughing:

Thanks. I doubt the skid plate will get finished before this run, but I did get front bumpstops and front shocks in. Timing and idle are set, but I'm afraid to comment on how it runs due to fear of jinxing it. I need to redo the hard brakelines on the rear axle, one of them is apparently trying to occupy the same space as a U-Bolt.

As for the CJ, ( :flipoff2: )I am taking AT LEAST a one year project hiatus. I'll work the bugs out of the Scout, and fix what needs fixin'. I'm tired of building, I just want to wheel some. However, it will get done, eventually. :D

mark
05-25-2005, 04:15 PM
Its a contest then. We'll see what sits longer, my D60/14bolt combo or your Mog axles.

-Mark

Jackasic
05-25-2005, 06:31 PM
i am realy pulling for the Mog axles in the this one.

Cajun
06-22-2005, 04:14 PM
Finally got a chance to post a few pics from the Scout's Memorial Day shakedown run.

Poseur pic:
http://tamor.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6008&stc=1

Sunday Cruise:
http://tamor.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6005&stc=1

Highlight (lowlight?) of the weekend. My buddy Josh Kurtz's K5. D60/14 bolt, 44" Boggers, Vortech 350...and a ruptured brake line do not make for a good time. Fortunately no one was hurt:
http://tamor.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6007&stc=1
http://tamor.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6006&stc=1

uglyota
06-22-2005, 04:40 PM
he shoulda gone a little farther with that tube!
Holy inboarded springs! Did your rig work well?

Cajun
06-22-2005, 05:06 PM
Yeah, I was very pleased for the first time out. Only issues were with the front wheels, a leaky fitting on my hyrdo reservoir, and my trans temp guage pics up heat from my exhaust...either that, or my trans gets REAL hot, REAL fast for no reason at all.

Turns out lug centric wheels and hub centric hubs don't mix. Who'da thunk it? :D

EDIT: Best part about the K5 was he hammered the roof up and drove it half the weekend like that. :laughing: He's thinking S-10 cab, exocage, and back half it.

uglyota
06-22-2005, 05:07 PM
new centers?

Cajun
06-22-2005, 05:19 PM
Nah, I just need to bore the openings out a 16th or so and I should be in good shape.

Jackasic
06-22-2005, 08:08 PM
wow, good pics Andy. Looks like it turned out well. So where are the pics of Diya driving "her" Scout? :D

Cajun
06-22-2005, 08:35 PM
wow, good pics Andy. Looks like it turned out well. So where are the pics of Diya driving "her" Scout? :D

She'll get some driving time in Hot Springs, but it won't be "her" Scout until I finish "my" CJ. ;)

davido
06-23-2005, 03:00 AM
Awe Toby, what are you doin'?

Cajun
06-23-2005, 07:53 AM
Awe Toby, what are you doin'?

:confused:

Cajun
02-27-2007, 02:56 PM
Time to update. I thought I had finished the front coil swap, but I'm not happy with the bump stops/coil guides, so those are getting junked...and I'm way too short. I need to go up 5" from where the front is now (7" from where is was with the 39.5s) to fit the new tires. The good news is I'll have more compression than I did with leaves, the bad news is it's taller. Anyway, pics.

Front:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=289877&stc=1&d=1172450785

Driver's side:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=289878&stc=1&d=1172450785

As it sits now:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=289879&stc=1&d=1172450785

Sorry about the pic quality, I did something wrong when I re-sized. Anyway, in the last pic the springs are 12", and I need them to be 17". The biggest problem is in the rear, where even after trimming the fenders out as much as possible I am still way to low. I think it will be fine when it's all said and done, I'll be wider than I was before also due to the width of the new tires.

Speaking of which, I'll be running 44" TSLs up front and 44" Boggers in the rear. I'll be grooving all of them, so it should be fun.

Stay tuned! :gigem:

Cajun
02-27-2007, 03:05 PM
BTW, I killed my R&P in my front axle (HP D60) last time out a Gilmer. We were running Fun Country backwards, and I'm pretty sure I did it on the climb out. It was wet, so I was in the throttle a bit. ;)

BMFScout
02-27-2007, 03:08 PM
looks good, and by good I mean red x's.

edit- hit properties, then cut and pasted, looks gud.

redcagepatrol
02-27-2007, 03:19 PM
I like the new slick tires!

davido
02-28-2007, 08:59 PM
44s! Yeah baby, that's what I'm talkin' about. Where ya at Scott? :)

redcagepatrol
02-28-2007, 09:26 PM
44s! Yeah baby, that's what I'm talkin' about. Where ya at Scott? :)
wait for it on the Patrol... J/K 39.5's are a good size for a family rig :gigem:

Jackasic
02-28-2007, 10:03 PM
i still have a fender and hood for you at the shop.

Cajun
02-28-2007, 10:25 PM
i still have a fender and hood for you at the shop.

Cool, thanks. I'll pick 'em up next time I'm in town.
:D

Cajun
03-04-2007, 11:16 PM
Updates. I re-did the front bump stops/coil retainers because I thought the old ones looked like crap. I also dropped the frame mount for the track bar to help with the angle. Installed new coils, Cage Off-Road 5.5" springs. It's taller than I had intended, but it may have to be to fit the tires in the rear.

New front setup:
http://s179.photobucket.com/albums/w313/Vincent70663/th_100_1089.jpg
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w313/Vincent70663/100_1089.jpg
I moved the bump stops/coil retainers to the frame side, and did away with the factory Ford retainers. The coils are retained on the bottom only. I'm going to try Timbren rubber springs for bumps, we'll see how they do. They'll be mounted inside the springs on the ends of the spring guides.

Front quarter:
http://s179.photobucket.com/albums/w313/Vincent70663/th_100_1088.jpg
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w313/Vincent70663/100_1088.jpg
Taller than I intended, but too soon to tell if it's too tall.

Rear quarter:
http://s179.photobucket.com/albums/w313/Vincent70663/th_100_1087.jpg
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w313/Vincent70663/100_1087.jpg
The rear axle is in place. I'm going to start on the coil mounts tomorrow night. It will be slightly longer now at 111" vs. 109" before. With a bit of luck I'll have the rear 4 link knocked out by the end of next weekend.

My son Payton measuring up the new shoes:
http://s179.photobucket.com/albums/w313/Vincent70663/th_100_1070.jpg
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w313/Vincent70663/100_1070.jpg

DRAGOONRANCH
03-04-2007, 11:29 PM
Lookin awesome Andy. Maybe I won't blow my pile up next time we wheel together and we can have some fun out there.

tigweld
03-05-2007, 07:49 AM
the coils look upside down, soft spring rate usually goes on top(closer coils) it probably doesn't matter though. I acually would like to see if it made any difference runnin' it both ways would be kinda neat to see if there was a noticable effect.

tigweld
03-05-2007, 07:50 AM
those are progressive coils right?

Cajun
03-05-2007, 08:05 AM
Yes, they are progressive coils and they are upside down. I didn't see why it would make a difference which side was up. I did it this way because I wanted the spring guide tubes to be on the frame side, and the coil has a pigtail at one end.

BMFScout
03-05-2007, 03:45 PM
Payton's about 38" tall then? When does the baby seat get installed?

Cajun
03-05-2007, 04:09 PM
The baby seat comes and goes as necessary, it just straps to the back seat since he's not big enough for his own real seat. This won't be his first run :D

Cajun
03-11-2007, 11:00 PM
More updates.

Rear coils are in. I need to cut bump stops/spring guides and links and the hard part is done. I'm not happy with the link tabs/brackets I have on hand, so I'm ordering different stuff tomorrow. Hope to have it on all fours by the end of this coming weekend. The Boggers will be in the week of the 19th!

Pics:
http://s179.photobucket.com/albums/w313/Vincent70663/th_100_1095.jpg
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w313/Vincent70663/100_1095.jpg

http://s179.photobucket.com/albums/w313/Vincent70663/th_100_1096.jpg
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w313/Vincent70663/100_1096.jpg

I think I'm going to need to shorten my truss. I think it would look better shorter, but I have to check what it does to my geometry.

agjohn02
03-11-2007, 11:16 PM
thought you were getting a new rear axle?

Cajun
03-12-2007, 08:34 AM
I did. Too much work, not enough time to get it in this go around. It's a Ford D70, so it's not an exact swap over. The 14 bolt hubs I'm using won't work, etc.

Cajun
04-08-2007, 06:57 PM
Updates. I'm nearly finished, at least for the shakedown run. I still need to weld out the shock mounts, install limit chains (will be replaced with straps), bolt in the bump stops, and paint. I'm going to have to re-locate both of the frame mounts for the lower links (front & rear) before Katemcy next month. The tires rub the links up front, and the links hit the frame in the back under nearly full stuff. Neither will be that big of deal, I just don't have time now and I'm sure there will be other things that need to be fixed.

All together, sans shocks:
http://s179.photobucket.com/albums/w313/Vincent70663/th_DSC_0068.jpg
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w313/Vincent70663/DSC_0068.jpg

Tank a$$:
http://s179.photobucket.com/albums/w313/Vincent70663/th_DSC_0079.jpg
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w313/Vincent70663/DSC_0079.jpg

Rear suspension:
http://s179.photobucket.com/albums/w313/Vincent70663/th_DSC_0076.jpg
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w313/Vincent70663/DSC_0076.jpg
http://s179.photobucket.com/albums/w313/Vincent70663/th_DSC_0078.jpg
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w313/Vincent70663/DSC_0078.jpg

Groovy:
http://s179.photobucket.com/albums/w313/Vincent70663/th_DSC_0082.jpg
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w313/Vincent70663/DSC_0082.jpg
http://s179.photobucket.com/albums/w313/Vincent70663/th_DSC_0083.jpg
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w313/Vincent70663/DSC_0083.jpg

More pics here (http://s179.photobucket.com/albums/w313/Vincent70663/?start=all)

RCcola55
04-08-2007, 07:41 PM
what coils are those in the rear and what did you use for your link material?

Cajun
04-08-2007, 08:08 PM
what coils are those in the rear and what did you use for your link material?

Rear coils are stock Ford, either FS bronco or F-150. They will be swapped tomorrow for a pair of FS Ford lift coils.

All upper links are 1.5" OD X .25" wall DOM. Lowers are same but sleeved with 1.5" sch. 40 seamless pipe (.145" wall).

mark
04-09-2007, 05:30 AM
Looks nice. I remember the last time I saw that thing. It had just been pulled from wherever you found it and was on a trailer next to Wings. Oh how time flies. How are the Mog axles doing?

BTW: Your 14B hubs wouldn’t work? Were they C&C/Dually? If so I might know someone who could use them.

-Mark

BMFScout
04-09-2007, 06:50 AM
Looks badass! I want to see it in action.

davido
04-09-2007, 12:24 PM
Looks awesome! Looking at your porch reminds me how long it's been since we visited.

Doug Krebs
11-30-2009, 12:21 AM
Makes me angry in the swimsuit area that the pics got deleted from the beginning of this thread.

JB
12-03-2009, 12:00 PM
New tow rig?

DRAGOONRANCH
12-03-2009, 12:21 PM
foe-ninety-sex!