PDA

View Full Version : Wingfield's K5

jwingfield2k
02-04-2005, 02:04 AM
Ok, so I'm going to try to put on two new spring hangers this weekend on my rear axle. Does anyone happen to know the exact size I should get? I'm putting the front hanger for a rear axle, and using that as my rear hanger as well. Grade 8, right?

Stuff I would like to get done soon:

1) Hang new spring hangers
2) Mount Hood somehow
3) Cage for engine (to mount hood on)
4) Rebuild d60 and gm14
5) 36" IROKS
6) Reinforce frame with 2 -3 additional crossmembers.
7) Rip out all carpet, fix holes in the floor, then line.
8) New Seats
9) fix leaky power steering hose, the pressurized one

I think this would be a fair amount of work to get done this semester.
Any thoughts?

stx4wheeler
02-04-2005, 03:26 AM
why 36's your gonna drag those huge axles all over the damn place, mainly that boat of a rear, just my opinion, i would go with 38's or so if i were you especially since you dont haveahardly any body panels left to mess with

Sharpe
02-04-2005, 08:24 AM
The engine cage, crossmembers and floor repair are going to require a welder. I wouldnt bother with the crossmembers, you are running a stock engine and I garuntee you dont need any extra bracing except around the steering box. For the rear spring hangers use no less then 7/16" grade 8 bolts, preferably 1/2". I think you will find rebuilding the axles a costly endeavour. Especially if you go balls to the wall with lockers, gears and disk brakes on the rear. I have $600 into my 14 bolt and $2000 into my D60 and they have the works (I got my 14 bolt, locker and gears for free...CUCV axle).

jwingfield2k
02-04-2005, 09:01 AM
Hey robert, my axles are lincoln locked and I dont really plan on getting anything besides that. And they've got 5.13's in the right now. But I do plan on doing disk brakes on the rear though.

uglyota
02-04-2005, 11:18 AM
are you putting in 63" chevys? If so, I think they take a 9/16" bolt and 1/4" wall 3 1/2" square tubing. I can sell you my hangers that are already made up if you want ;)
yeah if you've got 5.13s I would think you'd have no problem and want to run bigger than 36s. What's on it now?

AgDieseler
02-04-2005, 11:38 AM
I propose a name change to the blazer.

We shall call it The Wingnut.

stinger7401
02-04-2005, 12:40 PM
seconded

Sharpe
02-04-2005, 12:45 PM
I propose a name change to the blazer.

We shall call it The Wingnut.
I third that notion. :gigem: From what I've seen, around here its called Poll-locked, and 5.13s...Pimmmp. I think disk brakes will set you back about $296.57. You could definately do it cheaper though. Look for used parts to either turn in as cores or actually use if they are good enough.

jerryg79
02-04-2005, 12:51 PM
I third that notion. :gigem: From what I've seen, around here its called Poll-locked,

I think you mean Motion, and its Pol-locked liked Polish not like Poll as in "We all took a POLL and you are gay" :D

uglyota
02-04-2005, 01:15 PM
start by hacking all that mess off the front. Builds like Jerry posted in the Toyota f/s thread do NOT start by haphazardly welding on square tubing ;)

stx4wheeler
02-04-2005, 03:39 PM
i got my 38x12.5 tsl 's for like 800 shipped(with free shipping) to me from 4wheel parts

jwingfield2k
02-04-2005, 03:59 PM
The Wingnut it is. Cool thing is: that I can take all this and use it as a business tax deduction for my company sponsored wheeling team "Wingfield Racing" (gey) haha.

Ok on a serious note, Wingnut is it's name. So what size are these bolts? 9/16" or 7/16". I guess I'll just go and grab one off if theyre not locked on there and check it out. Just Home Depot for some grade 8 bolts?

Eric, I've already got the hangers and I got them for free from robert when I bought a hood from him. I really need some steel tube though.

I am hacking off that "dagger thing" in the front, the guy was attemping to make that into a tow bar but never got around to it. Got a better idea on a way to hold up the radiator or leave it like it is?

Can i borrow two big jackstands for saturday from someone to get these hangers under there.

uglyota
02-04-2005, 04:10 PM
TSCO for grade 8 bolts by the pound. Don't forget locknuts.
you missed the point on the radiator...draw a lot of pictures and make a plan, then start building. Don't start with "okay, I gotta hold the radiator up...I'll weld on something for that" then "now I need something to hold the hood up, dang, wish I would have thought of that when I made the radiator support"
get it?

eight
02-04-2005, 07:05 PM
Yes put about 38s or so on it. I think the 38x12.5 TSLs may even be cheaper than 36" IROKs.

texasxj
02-05-2005, 07:11 AM
hey john yes you can go iroks-change of plans cuz im going mud grapplers prob! iroks are cheaper than swampers and def go bigger than 36. like some else said our 14s are heavy mofos and that diff is HUGE! any way good luck!

jwingfield2k
02-05-2005, 09:23 AM
great point eric. i do need to draw stuff out. ill definately hack all that crap off the front, but leave the radiator support pos on until i figure how how to rest of this will go down.

anyone have any ideas on how to mount the hood seeing how i dont have any fenders?

agjohn02
02-05-2005, 09:44 AM
do you wanna do it right, or just do it?

i think it'll look soopid without fenders of some sort. should be able to pick some up at a j yard for cheap and cut em out and pinch the front. cut the half fenders off the back and tube it in. then it would look nice.

eight
02-05-2005, 09:56 AM
Narrow the front of the hood, mount the radiator low, and put the front of the hood as low as possible. But it doesn't look like the radiator that's on it fits in between the frame rails, maybe you can mount it at an angle. Or find a radiator that fits between the frame rails, drop it down to about even with the bottom of the frame, and put an electric fan or two on it.

You gonna convert it to good steering?

jwingfield2k
02-05-2005, 12:41 PM
Yah, I wanna do hi steer atleast. Dont know about a hydro assist or full hydro steer though. I'm not really mechanically inclined.

stx4wheeler
02-05-2005, 02:23 PM
john i got a buddy that trying to sell a set of 39.5 tsl on 16.5 inch wheels that i think will sell fairly cheap prolly half tread or better

agjohn02
02-05-2005, 03:46 PM
dont worry about hydro until you see if you need it. do highsteer, or at least cross-over, and call it good. your already putting more than you need on your plate. i have a corvette radiator ill sell. it might be narrower. ill second, or third, the bigger tires. you've got the axles for it and that 14b will be a boat anchor unless you get it off the ground.

Doug Krebs
02-05-2005, 05:06 PM
i'm not sure if i agree with the "mondo" tires from the start. I almost think it's better to learn small and then get big... but then again you'd have to buy two sets of tires.

I don't know alot of the "new" people giving advice, but how many of ya'll have ever wheeled? I have a 14 bolt in my blazer, it's never even been shaved and I think for the 1st year or 2 it didn't even matter. I didn't have the balls to wheel hard enough for it too matter. Mostly because it was my daily driver, but also because I didn't have the experience. There is a difference between reading what sucks on pirate, regurgatating it on here, and actually wheeling. I think there are people in this club are afraid there rig isn't going to perform and so they don't wheel at all. Maybe I'm wrong or just on crack tonight :flipoff2:

Sharpe
02-05-2005, 06:20 PM
I have a 14 bolt and 36" TSLs. Shaved the 14 bolt when I rebuilt it just because it was out and have never hung it up on anything. Disclaimer: I've never done rocks...

agjohn02
02-05-2005, 07:07 PM
well, since us "new" guys (who's regurgitating pirate stuff here?) are defending our 14b experience, our 77 chevy ranch truck has a 14b. ive wheeled it since i could drive it and i know the first thing to hit the ground besides tires is the rear pumpkin. the one thing that got all the 1 ton trucks on the king ranch stuck was, you guessed it, the rear pumpkin dragging. besides, anybody can simply look at one and tell you they're big. wingnut's got everything going for it to have big tires, i.e.-no fenders and big axles, so why not? yeah, you can wheel with smaller tires and it obviously worked for you, but why bother if you dont need to?

jwingfield2k
02-05-2005, 09:21 PM
Umm, how much do you want for the radiator john?
anyone have tates number? i tried grinding off the rear axles rear spring hangers today but no such luck with my grinder. i need to see if tate can torch these things off for me so i can get these new hnagers under there. i went ahead and undid the axles from the springs, so its sitting on coops jackstands right now.

robert, i will shave the 14b down too, but thats not a high priority right now. Doug, i will agree with you, i do want to start small, but at the same time i dont want to buy stuff twice. if the blazer wasnt such a pos right now, i should wheel it as it is. but i think its best to go ahead and go ball-to-the-wall on it and just start doing it right.

\torch anyone?

usmcagg02
02-06-2005, 10:42 AM
tate's number is in his signature

uglyota
02-06-2005, 10:47 AM
If you wanna avoid going through a lot of the trials and tribulations of wheeling a fullsize, listen to Doug
He really does know what he's talking about

jwingfield2k
02-06-2005, 11:13 AM
I wouldnt know anything about the rear pumpkin getting stuck on stuff...

Doug Krebs
02-06-2005, 12:15 PM
did i quote you? you obviously took offensive to my post. Basically all i'm saying is if he does everything everyone is suggesting he'll never wheel it. He doesn't have the mechnical know how. He needs to wheel it, even like it is, other than the radiator hanging off and have fun with it. Through wheeling it he'll learn how to work on it.

The only way he would be braking 10 bolt shafts with it now is if he's trying to follow people he shouldn't. Most likely if he does that he'll start using the throttle more. Granted spotters can do alot and should push a new person, especially if it's not there DD.

If I were him, I'd secure the radiator better and wheel it. Then after a coupld of months or a year I'd figure out what I want to do with it. In that time he'd be learning alot and wheeling it. I should probably take my own advice...

Anyways I didn't mean to insult anyone, just trying to get more people to wheel, instead of what everyone thinks. As sir Robert Fleming says, "Thats not how I'd do it".

well, since us "new" guys (who's regurgitating pirate stuff here?) are defending our 14b experience, our 77 chevy ranch truck has a 14b. ive wheeled it since i could drive it and i know the first thing to hit the ground besides tires is the rear pumpkin. the one thing that got all the 1 ton trucks on the king ranch stuck was, you guessed it, the rear pumpkin dragging. besides, anybody can simply look at one and tell you they're big. wingnut's got everything going for it to have big tires, i.e.-no fenders and big axles, so why not? yeah, you can wheel with smaller tires and it obviously worked for you, but why bother if you dont need to?

jerryg79
02-06-2005, 12:24 PM
There is a difference between reading what sucks on pirate, regurgatating it on here,

says the king of regurgitating all things pirate :flipoff2:

Doug Krebs
02-06-2005, 12:43 PM
says the king of regurgitating all things pirate :flipoff2:

Oh, I don't even need it from you :flipoff2:

agjohn02
02-06-2005, 07:10 PM
no, i didnt take offense. sorry if it seemed like that. im not trying to say your wrong either. we just all have different kinds of experience and can input what we believe based on that. thats what this board is for.

jwingfield2k
02-14-2005, 02:27 AM
Thanks to Tate for coming out this afternoon and helping me take off the spring hangers.
I've gotta get the bolts out of the leaf springs because the bushing are so screwed theyre stuck in there. Anyone wanna help me with some muscle to get the front part of the rear springs off the front hangers?

jerryg79
02-14-2005, 08:22 AM
Thanks to Tate for coming out this afternoon and helping me take off the spring hangers.
I've gotta get the bolts out of the leaf springs because the bushing are so screwed theyre stuck in there. Anyone wanna help me with some muscle to get the front part of the rear springs off the front hangers?

Burn 'em out, thats what we had to do with krebs's

Sharpe
02-14-2005, 08:26 AM
Eewwww it smells stinky when you do that. Makes a mess too. But since you dont have a ****load of old drill bits laying around I think that's your only option.

jwingfield2k
02-14-2005, 10:54 AM
I have a ****load of old drill bits... and i got a soldering propane torch . Just go at it with those two things?

uglyota
02-14-2005, 11:11 AM
yep...good luck and have fun
don't breathe too deep

stx4wheeler
02-14-2005, 12:30 PM
spray with wd-40 then light on fire, then leave it burning and come buy every once and a while and give her another spray to keep the fire burning, worked well on will's springs.

uglyota
02-14-2005, 12:34 PM
are the bushings in a metal insert that's pressed in to the eye? If so, then cut off the bolts flush, spray it all down with pb blaster and beat on the insert with a cold chisel (or air hammer if you've got it). Advance may have a bushing press that works with them as well.

Shaggy
02-14-2005, 12:48 PM
yesterday was my first time to see his blazer and all i gotta say is that he got what he paid for... and i think he paid 500$ for it... wow

Sharpe
02-14-2005, 01:18 PM
yesterday was my first time to see his blazer and all i gotta say is that he got what he paid for... and i think he paid 500$ for it... wow
I agree. It really has to bee seen to appreciate its ****tiness. I forgot my camera so I couldnt take any criminalizing pics but the skeery **** is as follows:

Square tube spacer on one of the shackle bolts to compensate for a 3" too long bolt.
Stock steering with 4" of lift.
Obvious body refinements.
Radiator support.
Stock length shocks with 4" lift.
I'm sure there's alot more that I didnt notice but that is all for now.

jwingfield2k
02-14-2005, 03:59 PM
dont care about the body, obviously. radiator support will be redone when a cage goes on. gotta love that square tube by my front shackle though, its classic.

i dont need no stinkin shocks.

Violentv8toy
02-14-2005, 11:46 PM
gonna inboard the rear springs?

If you ever need some 1/2 decent welding done (steering links/shackle hangers)....let me know im usually free all week after 2pm3pm. I've got decent knowledge of that model chevy....and also....what size wheelbase u got to work with? What rear springs are you using? I'd be happy to help. Do you have a welder? torch? chopsaw?

jwingfield2k
02-15-2005, 01:45 AM
No welder, no torch, no chopsaw. I'm using the stock springs, but doing something similar to a shackle flip to gain my lift in the rear. The front has 4" tuff country or rough country springs. something like that. got a pipe bender?

jwingfield2k
03-09-2005, 09:38 AM
Ok, so I have 4 mid terms this week and two major project. Last week I had two tests as well, and the week before that I had 1. I've had no time at all to get anything done on my blazer.
After spring break I have 3 straight weeks without tests, so I feel like this will be a good time to make some major progress on The Wingnut.
Things to do. new rear spring perches and hangers, new bushings in rear leafs. put on d60 and 14b and new tires and wheels. While I'm at it, I might as well redo the steering. and for now, I'm just gonna use a tow bar.

Anyone have an abundance of time in those weeks to give me a hand to finish this pile of junk?

agjohn02
03-09-2005, 11:11 AM
i might feel like lending a hand.

Violentv8toy
03-14-2005, 09:10 AM
i prolly can.

jwingfield2k
03-19-2005, 12:23 AM
39.5 iroks? or 36 iroks?

william_ace
03-19-2005, 02:22 AM

agjohn02
03-19-2005, 03:03 AM
didnt we already discuss this?

Shaggy
03-19-2005, 06:20 PM
39.5s are bad doods come by and check em out... i got the radials... the bias are a lot cheaper

jwingfield2k
03-19-2005, 10:15 PM
tate, ive seen em. and they are pretty sweet looking. i forgot you had them, i was thinking about codys 36s, but i think the 39.5s will be a ltitler better with the d60

Tilloda
03-20-2005, 09:56 PM
i have 4 38.5 super swamper tsl/sx's for a 15 inch rim for $750. maybe 1000 miles on them.

jwingfield2k
05-16-2005, 06:42 PM
i need atleast 16rim for my brakes. thanks though.
Hey quick question, I'm having alot of trouble with my acceleration. I replaced the throttle cable and no luck. It won't go unless I press the gas pedal really hard, and then it kinda "takes off". What else do yall think it could be?

Violentv8toy
05-16-2005, 09:25 PM
well it depends. use your hand to work the throttle body. it could lie in the cable or the throttle body.

jwingfield2k
05-17-2005, 05:03 PM
im guessing its the throttle body since ive alread replaced the cable then.

stx4wheeler
05-18-2005, 12:49 PM
but if your cable isnt the right length then it could be that, move the throttle body lever with your hand with the engine running and see if it rev's up or not. that should answer your question.

aggieblazer07
05-18-2005, 01:11 PM
I think the problem is the throttle body, it sticks a little bit when you push down the throttle

robertf03
05-18-2005, 02:00 PM
throttle blades aren't centered. loosen the torx bolts, open and close it a few times, then tighten.

Fredo
05-18-2005, 03:07 PM
best fix for that is to open them up while it's running and throw a washer, coin, or nut down in there...works everytime.

jerryg79
05-18-2005, 03:17 PM
best fix for that is to open them up while it's running and throw a washer, coin, or nut down in there...works everytime.

Yeah that sometimes works, I prefer the pressure method, get a hose with one of the pressurized nozzles, hold it right up to the throttle body, have your buddy in the cab stomp the gas and then turn on the water full blast. I guarantee that the motor will never bog down again!

You'd think as a chevy afficionado you would know that little trick Fred :flipoff2:

BMFScout
05-18-2005, 03:42 PM
"aw ****, I think they nutted me!"