PDA

View Full Version : Got a place to swap springs?

wturner3
02-07-2005, 07:52 PM
I just received new front shocks and springs for my Discovery. I would like to get them swapped before the weekend, so if anybody has a floor jack, a big pry bar, a place, and the desire to watch me do it, I'll bring the beer. I have done it once before (front and rear) within 4 or 5 hours, so only front should take no time at all.

Regards,

BJ

73bronco
02-08-2005, 12:14 AM
you could use my place, between me and my roommate we should have plenty of tools. Thursday or Friday afternoon would be best.

979-574-5109

savvyaggie
02-08-2005, 09:40 AM
why are you replacing the springs?

wturner3
02-08-2005, 03:05 PM
I am trying to lift the front up to level the vehicle more. I have Old Man Emu all the way around that are supposed to give +2" but really end up with about +1.5" and I am pretty sure my front springs have sagged in time down to about +1" or +1.25".

Rovertym www.rovertym.com gets their springs manufactured from guys who also make springs for the military and are proven not to sag and give a true 2" even with an iron bumper (I don't have) so I will end up with possibly 2.5" in which case I will have to order rear springs as well.

And the are only $150 a pair and really easy to put in.

Graystroke
02-08-2005, 04:09 PM
hey, you wanna buy some rover parts? I got some third members, a diff rebuild kit, spare drive shafts, may have some other stuff that will fit a disco.

Moose
02-08-2005, 05:24 PM
i hate to do this but. not totally off topic, but this may have nothing to do with your project. i think an old fart did it with the club back in '99 or '00. he had a 90's white z-71 and took one of the leafs out off the rear to have more bounce/give, less load capacity, and softer ride. said it rode like a cadillac. what i'm affraid of is, you loose those OME springs, you loose the flex that goes with them,.. unless these discovery parts you have don't have that problem. just thinking out loud. at least while you have the leaf pack on a table, you could loose one of the leafs.

Sharpe
02-08-2005, 05:32 PM
i hate to do this but. not totally off topic, but this may have nothing to do with your project. i think an old fart did it with the club back in '99 or '00. he had a 90's white z-71 and took one of the leafs out off the rear to have more bounce/give, less load capacity, and softer ride. said it rode like a cadillac. what i'm affraid of is, you loose those OME springs, you loose the flex that goes with them,.. unless these discovery parts you have don't have that problem. just thinking out loud. at least while you have the leaf pack on a table, you could loose one of the leafs.
Holy crap those z71 rear spring packs only have like 3 leaves to begin with.

Graystroke
02-08-2005, 06:42 PM
how long have you had those springs? are they medium duty or heavy duty? I had heavy duties on my RR for 6 yrs and they sgged a little but it never dropped the front. I also had an ARB bumper and a winch. the truck, by chance, isn't leaning to one side is it? mine did this after a while and I just swapped sides w/ the rear springs and it evened out.

BMFScout
02-08-2005, 08:22 PM
i hate to do this but. not totally off topic, but this may have nothing to do with your project. ...at least while you have the leaf pack on a table, you could loose one of the leafs.

I would say it has nothing to do with his project since disco's don't have leaf springs ;) :flipoff2:

wturner3
02-09-2005, 12:14 AM
I had the OME's for almost 50,000 and about 3 years (very ruff estimate). I just got the Rovertyms in and they are a lot stiffer, and pretty high too. I am definately thinking now about getting the rear pair as well.

I don't actually know if they were sagging (only about .25" to .5" if any). I really just thought the truck didn't look level. A few years ago Rovertym went to a new manufacturer for their springs that sounded a lot better than what I'd heard about them when I bought the OME's.

Bacically I want as much lift as I can get without having to go to driveline mods.