PDA

View Full Version : Gilmer Trip

AggieTJ2007
02-09-2005, 11:20 PM
Lets go the weekend of the febuary 19th Im in for either a day trip on saturday or a full weekend. Who else wants to come

ishbo03
02-10-2005, 12:17 AM
i think i would be up for making the trip

wturner3
02-10-2005, 12:26 AM
I would like to go.

Sharpe
02-10-2005, 08:19 AM
I will go.

Fredo
02-10-2005, 10:22 AM
I'd go, but I've got to work that weekend...stupid job.

Jackasic
02-10-2005, 10:25 AM
i have other obligations that weeks, otherwise I would be interested. Well that and the cage isn't finished yet.

Chadnutz
02-10-2005, 10:28 AM
I'll go.

uglyota
02-10-2005, 11:12 AM
I think I've been put to the task of leading this trip, unless someone else wants to do it, so here's a list of potentials, I'll add to it as you add your name.
I'd like to go up friday night and stay through sunday afternoon. I'll get in touch with BMRA and make sure they're expecting us.
If you haven't watched the safety video, make sure and get in touch with Frick (or did Nick take that over?) and watch it. Be sure and send Frick your name, ssn, and next of skin before you leave as well.

Creighton
Feller
Shaun Hanrahan
Stacy
William
Robert
Me
Kopecki
Garrett Waters+1
Garrett Rouse
Nicole
Jason Payne?
Grayson?
Jimmy?
Flem?
Fredo?
John Brown?
DavidO?
Austin?

Would anybody be interested in swingin a shovel for a half a day or so if they'll let us work on Airstrip?

Oh yeah...logistics
Website (http://www.texasmotorizedtrails.com/ohvareas/barnwell/)
Barnwell mtn is about 3 1/2 hours away
Trail use is $20 per day per trail vehicle
Camping is $10/night primitive, $20/night with power
annual membership is $40/year and your gate fees are waived for the first weekend; camping additional. Plan on spending $40 if your driving both days plus $20 to camp Fri and Sat ($16 if you buy a membership).
I'll keep updating this post so look back.
:cheers:

AggieTJ2007
02-10-2005, 11:17 AM
Yeah I would be interested in doing some work and spending the weekend up there. I also have access to some tools in Dallas that I could bring out there.

Creighton

uglyota
02-10-2005, 11:19 AM
aha! Creighton not Kasey...fixed
too many of you J*ep fools have tj in your name :D

TexTJ209
02-10-2005, 11:24 AM
I'll remember that. Damn Toyota people.. :flipoff2: :cheers:

AggieTJ2007
02-10-2005, 11:39 AM
anyone know if they have showers at the campsites?

uglyota
02-10-2005, 11:41 AM
full shower and bathroom facilities
Gilmer (http://www.texasmotorizedtrails.com/ohvareas/barnwell/)

TxCruzr
02-10-2005, 12:16 PM
I'd like to but I'm out.....3 exams that week :(

uglyota
02-10-2005, 12:50 PM
I'd like to but I'm out.....3 exams that week :(
you SUCK!

Kasey are you in?

uglyota
02-10-2005, 02:08 PM
note to self...wear sandals in the shower
so are you coming...er, going on the trip...to gilmer?

CRaSHnBuRN
02-10-2005, 02:36 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm out. The frontend of the buggy is apart, and i still have alot of little things I would like to do. I could get it together in time, but my spare time is very limited right now, and going home to do that would kill time I really need to devote to studying, especially since I have 2 tests the week before the trip, and 2 the week after. I really want say the hell with it and go, but the little voice in my head tells me not to.

uglyota
02-10-2005, 03:50 PM
we're all poor...get someone to split gas with you and c'mon!

Graystroke
02-10-2005, 05:21 PM
hmmmm....

BMFScout
02-10-2005, 05:41 PM
I'm in if fredo will let me borrow his truck :gigem:

BMFScout
02-10-2005, 05:46 PM
not to piss on your parade, but they closed down airstrip b/c of noise on that side of the property, and erosion into the neighbors land. I'm doubting they let you work on it, airstrip is "Wicked Pissah"

Fredo
02-10-2005, 06:03 PM
I'm in if fredo will let me borrow his truck :gigem:

yeah, that sounds like a good idea.... I guess I could come up after work on saturday and hang out saturday night and wheel sunday with the guys who plan on wheeling that day.

uglyota
02-10-2005, 06:23 PM
they emailed back that Airstrip was closed due to erosion and they would love for us to work on it. Membership only gets us in the park, camping is additional...going back to edit earlier post...
add Grayson, Kasey, Jimmy and Fredo?

wturner3
02-10-2005, 07:47 PM
I don't have front/rear lockers (only center). Can I make it?

robertf03
02-10-2005, 07:59 PM
it'll make it down sullihul no problem

AggieTJ2007
02-10-2005, 08:44 PM
i dont have front or rear lockers either but I have a healthy right foot and it helps or at least makes it exciting

Chadnutz
02-11-2005, 02:04 AM
I went once with IFS, two open diffs and all terrains and I couldn't do much.

AggieTJ2007
02-11-2005, 08:44 AM
the problem there was the all terrians and the open diffs

JeepPhisherman
02-11-2005, 10:42 AM
If its dry, I'll be out there with my A/S's and rear locker

CRaSHnBuRN
02-11-2005, 12:25 PM
we're all poor...get someone to split gas with you and c'mon!

lets say I went against my better judgement and went, is there anyone who would like to ride along and split gas costs, or better yet want to tow the buggy? I can get a trailer. I'm not sure I'm going, but just in case

73bronco
02-11-2005, 03:39 PM
I might be in, just need to see if i can get a trailer

Graystroke
02-11-2005, 06:16 PM
the problem there was the all terrians and the open diffs
open diffs...wah! I've wheeled my range rover all over w/ open diffs. I started wheeling the thing w/ 205/80 R16 Michelin tires. I agree w/ Doug about you need to get out wheel your stuff the way it is.
Things you'll learn (and this is for anyone):
where all your low points are. If you haven't yet, get out on the driveway and look under your vehicle...find the low points, where your diffs are, low hanging shock brackets, tranny crossmembers. I can visualize in my head where all the low points are on my truck and can make a pretty good guess to where they are going to hit.
open diffs are going to make you a better wheeler/driver and also make you be a better judge of the terrain and how to read it and pick a line. Anybody can take a rig w/ 44's, two lockers and point it straight.
when your open you have to think of how your axles are going to articulate, when and where the wheels are going to unload, and what type of traction are you going to have.
If your open, you have to try and keep the same amount of traction on both wheels and do a lot of left foot braking. I don't think my foot ever leaves the brake. It also firms up the suspension on a coiler and cuts down on bounce once over an obstacle. You can learn a lot of basics w/ a stock vehicle and can have just as much fun w/o getting into too much trouble on the trail. If you have the clearance try and hit the obstacle square or at ever so slight of an angle and use a little skinny to bump it over one axle at a time.
remember that torque will find the easiest path out and if that path happens to be in mud or in the air it will go that route every time.
and lastly follow the motto of:
as slow as possible and as fast as neccessary
then every thing will be just peachy!

Graystroke
02-11-2005, 06:16 PM
I don't have front/rear lockers (only center). Can I make it?
yes

wturner3
02-11-2005, 07:22 PM
The reason I was asking was to get a good idea of the level of difficulty, as I have never seen the place. I have had my fair share of three wheel motion, trails, and the like. If I saw the terrain I could tell you weather of not I could make it. I have a good bit of experience and confidence in the Rover truck.

Graystroke
02-12-2005, 12:29 AM
there's trails rated from 1 to 4. 1 being that any stock vehocle will make it, 4 being you better have lift, tires, and a locker or two.
In a disco w/ mild lift and a decent size tire you will be able to hit most of the 3's, just have to watch your rear overhang. If you still have the front spoiler I would suggest to remove it along w/ both bumper caps front and rear. I might even loose the tail/fog lights in the rear bumper...I've seen plenty of those destroyed out there as well.
Also. I don't know how long you have had your disco or its history, but make sure the center diff is working. I've seen a few where the previous owner never the diff lock and when someone finally used it it wouldn't lock and the slider was stuck fromlack of use. mine on the other hand glides over there almost too easy.
edit: they may have added a five by now...don't know for sure, but all the trails are well marked and rated fairly well.

AggieTJ2007
02-12-2005, 11:10 AM
yeah i wheel my Jeep wrangler stock w/ 31s all over clayton. i Really enjoyed wheeling stock because no one thinks you can do anything and then your truck works great and everyone is suprised

uglyota
02-14-2005, 10:16 AM
blah blah blah
so are you coming?

for future reference, TAMOR really doesn't plan trips anywhere that doesn't have terrain for stockers...don't let a "non-hardcore" rig stop you from going on a trip

CRaSHnBuRN
02-14-2005, 11:58 AM
Well I'm completely out. After wrangling with my conscience, my bank account, and my hard headed girlfriend, I decided to go, and even got a trailer and a tow rig set up. So of course my manager decides to schedule me to work that weekend. A whole ****ing year of the same two weekends working, one weekend off pattern, and he decides to change it now. And of course, he won't change it because its already posted. So one guy gets back to back weekends off, and I get screwed out of having fun.

Shaggy
02-14-2005, 12:38 PM
no show

AggieTJ2007
02-14-2005, 01:52 PM
that sucks, too bad you have to work Ill take some video and post it for you so you can imagine that you were wheeling

uglyota
02-14-2005, 02:08 PM
you're gonna have video? :D
rollem!

eight
02-14-2005, 02:15 PM
I'm going. Jeep's not sure what it's doing this weekend yet.

CRaSHnBuRN
02-14-2005, 02:16 PM
that sucks, too bad you have to work Ill take some video and post it for you so you can imagine that you were wheeling

oh thats fawkin low. Not only am I getting screwed out of this trip, but my tow rig for clayton just called and canceled so he could go to padre. And now I gotta listen to this? thats just wrong

BMFScout
02-14-2005, 04:23 PM
work sucks, quit.

BeachJeepin
02-14-2005, 04:27 PM
Padre Sucks. Tell'em its not worth it....

TxCruzr
02-14-2005, 04:50 PM
Can I suggest someone in the club work for a cement plant for a few weeks and one day dump a couple of loads behind coop & nicks house. Between that and the creek we can wheel the piss outa it.

Ok, I'll go back to sleeping in class instead of thinking up this kinda crap. :D

uglyota
02-14-2005, 05:28 PM
what..we've only got 7 definites?
Check out the list on page one and let me know if I should take off your name, take off the question mark, or add your name.
Anybody wanna ride with me?

Graystroke
02-14-2005, 05:34 PM
I'll go if some dallasites want to come...Flem? Fred? Asstin? I'll be in Fort Worth by then. I will actually have to do some prep work this time. I need a new down pipe gasket b/c the rover sounds angry. I might put some sliders on.

ishbo03
02-14-2005, 06:39 PM
eric, i might be interested in riding with you but do we know for sure if we are making it a weekend trip or just one day? cause if its a weekend thing, i can only stay fri. night and have to come back sat. night to study on sun.

CRaSHnBuRN
02-14-2005, 06:39 PM
Padre Sucks. Tell'em its not worth it....

I tried, but his sisters fiancee (a very rich lawyer or doctor from what I understand) is having a week long bachelor party down there. As for work, I wish i could quit, but its kinda hard since my parents give me nothing and I have to pay for everything (school, housing, insurance, vehicle, etc.) And of course they make enough that it wrecks my chances of financial aid, so quitting would practically kill me money wise

uglyota
02-14-2005, 06:48 PM
eric, i might be interested in riding with you but do we know for sure if we are making it a weekend trip or just one day? cause if its a weekend thing, i can only stay fri. night and have to come back sat. night to study on sun.
let's figure it out...I want to (1) go friday night and come back sunday afternoon, but if not enough people are down for that I'd be okay with anything...(2) head up friday night, wheel all day saturday, back saturday night, (3)go up saturday morning wheel a bit saturday afternoon and all day sunday then head back sunday night. What's everybody think? 1, 2, or 3?
since it didn't rain this past weekend, if people just want a day trip Alto probably wouldn't be that bad this weekend

wturner3
02-14-2005, 07:22 PM
I was planning on going up Friday night or Saturday morning, then coming back Saturday night. I can't really afford all the camping fees.

If that sucks too bad I may just sit this one out.

uglyota
02-14-2005, 07:23 PM
okay so this is like an official trip planning thread, so if what you want to say doesn't pertain to an off-road trip this weekend then post it somewhere else.
I'm still trying to find out if you guys really like wheeling or not
edit: william that sounds good...if everybody needs sunday to study, let's do that.
edit2:thanks to whoever cleaned those posts up

BeachJeepin
02-14-2005, 07:25 PM
Take me off the list, I'm going back to Mexico this weekend.

I might make a run to Padre while I'm there. haha

agjohn02
02-14-2005, 09:04 PM
you can take me off. i might hafta work and scout's not ready to wheel yet.

AggieTJ2007
02-14-2005, 10:42 PM
add me to the list of going down friday night and comming back on sunday

Sharpe
02-15-2005, 12:36 AM
I'm going no matter what. When and where are we leaving from Mr. Trip Leader Eric? How long of a drive is it? So it sounds like its camping right?

JeepPhisherman
02-15-2005, 11:20 AM
I'm down for whatever also, I've got to get out of CS before I choke a *****

edit: I like the friday to saturday night idea, I gots some studying to do on sunday also

J Cooper
02-15-2005, 11:23 AM
me and katie are down!!! im ready to wheel!

and i have no money what soever and have to go to Kruses the following weekend.... maybe ill sell some plasma

i like choice (2)

JeepPhisherman
02-15-2005, 11:24 AM
so how much are we looking at for friday and saturday? $30?

CRaSHnBuRN
02-15-2005, 11:26 AM
I'm back in, pending a call from my manager and my tow rig. I had 2 tests moved, as well as a whole lotta of other stuff change since yesterday, so its gonna be hectic. I gotta get back home friday after my lab, rebuild my front axle, and hopefully swap out motor mounts and be back in time to leave that night.

CRaSHnBuRN
02-15-2005, 11:34 AM
What time is everyone planning on leaving?

CRaSHnBuRN
02-15-2005, 11:40 AM
oh yeah, does anyone know if gilmer takes credit cards?

uglyota
02-15-2005, 11:42 AM
Right on guys!
I think we should just plan on all going down Friday night (leave from McDonalds on University at 6...sharp!), wheel all day Saturday, and one group can head back Saturday night and I think we'll have enough people that there will be enough still there Sunday to caravan back Sunday afternoon (pending studying and breakage)
If you leave Saturday night fees will run about $30. If you wheel Sunday it'll be about $60. Riders might think about splitting trail fees as well as camping fees.
Did I miss anything?
:gigem:

uglyota
02-15-2005, 11:56 AM
so shawn are you riding with me? Okay with splitting tow rig gas?

ishbo03
02-15-2005, 12:46 PM
are u one of the ones who will be leaving fri. and comming back sat.?

uglyota
02-15-2005, 12:52 PM
If you need to get back saturday night that's cool with me.

AggieTJ2007
02-15-2005, 01:03 PM
that sounds good, I just got payed today so I have enough money to stay all weekend. I just want to get out there and wheel my jeep. With the amount of money I have put into it I want it to see as much trail time as possible. I also have this itching to get it stuck, but I don't know why, just one of those things

uglyota
02-15-2005, 01:10 PM
does "stuck lying on it's side" count? :p

Sharpe
02-15-2005, 01:13 PM
that sounds good, I just got payed today so I have enough money to stay all weekend. I just want to get out there and wheel my jeep. With the amount of money I have put into it I want it to see as much trail time as possible. I also have this itching to get it stuck, but I don't know why, just one of those things
So I can pull you out because I am the Jeep Recovery Vehicle after all. Eric, do they take credit cards there? What is the food situation, do we need to bring camping food or will there be fast food places and stuff nearby?

AggieTJ2007
02-15-2005, 01:27 PM
lying on its side counts as long as it is not on its top (neither perfered)
as for food I plan on bringing some meat and charcoal it would be cheaper if you decide to bring real food and cook as well as taste better

uglyota
02-15-2005, 01:32 PM
I wouldn't bet on the credit cards...find some cash or a check
I'm bringing my own food, and will bring a stove that all are welcome to use (though it hasn't been used in several years!)

02JeepX
02-15-2005, 01:32 PM
What is the food situation, do we need to bring camping food or will there be fast food places and stuff nearby?

theres fast food restaurants that are really close

i might be interested in going... depends if a friend of mine can go

wturner3
02-15-2005, 01:33 PM
Will there be enough camping shelter among the rest of yall? I don't have any.

uglyota
02-15-2005, 01:37 PM
30% chance of rain. My tent sleeps 2 comfortably, I've got a spot for you if Shawn doesn't need it.

AggieTJ2007
02-15-2005, 01:44 PM
i have a tent too that may have room for you it depends if my friend comes with me or not. I will let you know as soon as possible

edit: I do have room in my tent for you

stinger7401
02-15-2005, 02:06 PM
please use the edit button instead of posting 2 or 3 or 4 concecutive posts.....

stx4wheeler
02-15-2005, 03:08 PM
alright start sending my the you all saftey info i promise it is not that hard and if you have already been on one or two trips this year i very possibly have you already in my system already, and any non tamor riders i will need there infor to thanks and gig'em im jealous of you guys geting to go wheel to, argg for work.

uglyota
02-15-2005, 03:19 PM
alright start sending my the you all saftey info i promise it is not that hard and if you have already been on one or two trips this year i very possibly have you already in my system already, and any non tamor riders i will need there infor to thanks and gig'em im jealous of you guys geting to go wheel to, argg for work.
exactly what info should we send you?

jerryg79
02-15-2005, 03:41 PM
I hope your "system" is just one continuous paragraph of names, socials, and contact info, no commas, capitalization, periods, or correct spelling :flipoff2:

ishbo03
02-15-2005, 06:05 PM
well erik, turns out that stacy wants to go on the trip so ill be riding up there with her and using my own tent. i appreciate the offer though, some other time maybe. ill still take u up on using your stove though if thats cool.

uglyota
02-15-2005, 06:33 PM
well erik, turns out that stacy wants to go on the trip so ill be riding up there with her and using my own tent. i appreciate the offer though, some other time maybe. ill still take u up on using your stove though if thats cool.
no prob...
anyone else wanna ride with me (or tow me:D )?

JeepPhisherman
02-15-2005, 09:02 PM
eric, I might be up for riding with you, dont know if I want to take the truck up their (looking for a new vehicle)
Does sleeping in the back of a truck count as camping?

73bronco
02-15-2005, 09:59 PM
I'm definatly in, friday-sunday; probably have room for 1more if anyone needs a ride

Chadnutz
02-15-2005, 11:09 PM
I need to work this weekend.

eight
02-15-2005, 11:27 PM
Erik I can tow with dodge, but if so you'll be paying all fuel costs. But it should get above 14 mpg towing the little yodie. Or I'll just ride with you and pay some fuel.

CRaSHnBuRN
02-16-2005, 07:31 AM

yeah, give us a list of what you need

uglyota
02-16-2005, 09:38 AM
Garrett, I think I'm carpooling with Ryan, but we'll probably have an extra seat. On the trail, I only have the one pass. seat

AggieTJ2007
02-16-2005, 09:55 AM
i have an extra seat going up there as well as an extra seat on the trail if anyone needs it

ishbo03
02-16-2005, 10:51 AM
depending on how hard the trails are, i may need to jump in with one of yall on the trail if stacy decides not to wheel her tahoe. i have no idea what she is thinking though. she says she wants to but we will see

stx4wheeler
02-16-2005, 12:27 PM
i need your university identification number or ssn, and i need an emergency contact number that we can reach someone at in case something happens, and your name. i need this from all of you and have only got one email as of yet for the trip this is really not that hard and there is no excuse for not doing it, cause seriously if you got time to look at the boards you got time to EMAIL me at kevind@neo.tamu.edu, me a three line thing that is required of us by the university to have. thank kevin

uglyota
02-16-2005, 01:06 PM
Feller wants to know if anybody's leaving from CS Saturday morning

eight
02-16-2005, 01:55 PM
depending on how hard the trails are, i may need to jump in with one of yall on the trail if stacy decides not to wheel her tahoe. i have no idea what she is thinking though. she says she wants to but we will see

See if we have someone with us that knows gilmer well. She can at least do the hummer trail, and I know there are more that are fullsize friendly, I just don't know which ones. There are some trails I wouldn't put that nice pretty tahoe through on account of trees.

Graystroke
02-16-2005, 02:29 PM
don't go down spider ravine! you would have fun on clyde's ravine. there should be enough trails to entertain. I know where a lot of them are...just can't remember the names.

JeepPhisherman
02-16-2005, 04:28 PM
i have an extra seat going up there as well as an extra seat on the trail if anyone needs it

Is it cool if I grab that seat? Half of gas?
What days were you planning on leaving/comming back?

AggieTJ2007
02-16-2005, 06:00 PM
yeah, you can grab that seat, I plan on leaving friday and returning sunday. Half of gas sounds great

JeepPhisherman
02-16-2005, 06:45 PM
thanks
I might be bringing a buddy along also, so do you have a backseat?
if not, and he comes, I'll just drive the wanna-be ugly truck out there

J Cooper
02-16-2005, 07:18 PM
ok well i think im out, im really sick and doc said to take it easy for about 10 days.... and i also have to go to Chili Challenge the following weekend, I have bairly enough money for 1 or the other and i really cant miss that since i am an officer and were going to represent the club about TCC.

if i had the money i would be there, even being sick..... sorry guys, wish i could go... have fun

AggieTJ2007
02-16-2005, 10:44 PM
I am sorry to say that I don't have a back seat.

wturner3
02-16-2005, 11:14 PM
Who do I need to contact about watching the awsome safety video?

AggieTJ2007
02-16-2005, 11:24 PM
call kevin at 979-574-6870 also email him your name, ssn or uin, emergency contact and emergency contact number to kevind@neo.tamu.edu

Sharpe
02-16-2005, 11:38 PM
I have up to 4 extra seats. If you want to ride with me, just pay my wheelin fee's for one day and make your own sleeping arangements, I will be sleeping in the burb.

CRaSHnBuRN
02-16-2005, 11:55 PM
I swear I'm gonna killl someone. I have worked my ass off for this trip. I've fought with my gf, nearly been fired, nearly got in a fist fight with my manager, was screamed at by the boss, called in several favors on a tow rig and a trailer, and finally rearranged my entire work and school schedule just so I could go. But all that wasn't good enough. I'm out. No trip for me. All this ****ing work and it all gets destroyed in one night because one dumbass at work ****ed it all up. Damn it, so much time, stress and money down the drain for nothing

stx4wheeler
02-17-2005, 01:07 AM
you need to contact me about the safety video call me tomorrow after 6 and we will see if we can work something out, cause i am not sure how long i have to work on friday call me at 979-574-6870 kevin

JeepPhisherman
02-17-2005, 01:48 AM
So, do we have a tally of the all the people going?
I'm pretty sure I'm in with one passenger.

Thanks Creighton, but I guess I'll be driving my junk out there, might even take it on the trails.

robertf03
02-17-2005, 02:13 AM
Grayson, you still going? I'll spot ya down spiders ravine. I got Jimmy through it no problem :D

ishbo03
02-17-2005, 07:51 AM
me and stacy are still in

AggieTJ2007
02-17-2005, 09:15 AM
hey Kevin did you know that your phone number is wrong in your profile/member list.

uglyota
02-17-2005, 10:01 AM
So, do we have a tally of the all the people going?
from page 1:

I think I've been put to the task of leading this trip, unless someone else wants to do it, so here's a list of potentials, I'll add to it as you add your name.
I'd like to go up friday night and stay through sunday afternoon. I'll get in touch with BMRA and make sure they're expecting us.
If you haven't watched the safety video, make sure and get in touch with Frick (or did Nick take that over?) and watch it. Be sure and send Frick your name, ssn, and next of skin before you leave as well.

Creighton
Feller
Shaun Hanrahan
Stacy
William
Robert
Me
Kopecki
Garrett Waters+1
Garrett Rouse
Nicole
Jason Payne?
Grayson?
Jimmy?
Flem?
Fredo?
John Brown?
DavidO?
Austin?

Would anybody be interested in swingin a shovel for a half a day or so if they'll let us work on Airstrip?

Oh yeah...logistics
Website (http://www.texasmotorizedtrails.com/ohvareas/barnwell/)
Barnwell mtn is about 3 1/2 hours away
Trail use is $20 per day per trail vehicle
Camping is $10/night primitive, $20/night with power
annual membership is $40/year and your gate fees are waived for the first weekend; camping additional. Plan on spending $40 if your driving both days plus $20 to camp Fri and Sat ($16 if you buy a membership).
I'll keep updating this post so look back.
:cheers:

JeepPhisherman
02-17-2005, 11:54 AM
Oh, well I tend to ignore your posts anyway eric

uglyota
02-17-2005, 12:14 PM
don't worry, I'm sure you're not alone.

02JeepX
02-17-2005, 12:57 PM
are we still planning on working? if so, other than a shovel and gloves is there anything else we should bring??

uglyota
02-17-2005, 01:06 PM
I can't seem to get any more input from them on whether they want us to work or not, but yeah bring gloves and a shovel or bow saw or whatever you've got and we'll see when we get there.

JeepPhisherman
02-17-2005, 06:22 PM
How long of a drive out there is it?

sasquatch
02-17-2005, 07:17 PM
I made it in 3.5 - 4 hours that time I went and nobody else showed up. :flipoff2:

AggieTJ2007
02-17-2005, 09:44 PM
does anyone know if there are grills at the campsites or not?

Sharpe
02-17-2005, 10:31 PM
Ok Eric, what time exactly are we leaving at and from where? Are you certain they take checks?

stx4wheeler
02-17-2005, 11:09 PM
no sorry guys the one in my profile is right i messed up when i posted my number is 979-574-5870, sorry for any inconvience

uglyota
02-18-2005, 10:05 AM
saturday "showers likely" (60% chance) high 59
sunday "tstorms likely" (60% chance) high 70
Leaving from McDonald's on University at 6pm. Get there early
Get your info to Frick, and I'm sure they'll take a check
anybody wanna split gas with me or tow me?

JeepPhisherman
02-18-2005, 10:37 AM
man...
4 hours, tstorms likely, I dont know if I'm up for it anymore.

uglyota
02-18-2005, 10:43 AM
anybody who's familiar with gilmer, any idea what we'll be in for?

jerryg79
02-18-2005, 10:44 AM
anybody who's familiar with gilmer, any idea what we'll be in for?

Oh grasshopper, red clay prus bookoo rain equars much vely vely messy!

Graystroke
02-18-2005, 10:48 AM
Gilmer Mountain(Red Clay Mountain)+ Water=Slippery as seal ****!
In mexico they would say,"no bueno"

uglyota
02-18-2005, 10:53 AM
We might as well go to Alto if we're just gonna slop around in the mud.
So maybe we'll take a vote at McDonalds, unless enough people post up today.
:(

AggieTJ2007
02-18-2005, 11:11 AM
I don't care where we go, I have never been to gilmer or Alto, I would like to get some good flex in because I have not had a chance to flex my jeep so I am interested in checking out clearance everywhere and if anything rubs.

CRaSHnBuRN
02-18-2005, 11:21 AM
would you'll consider just postponing it to next weekend perhaps? I may be able to make that one if so, and maybe the weather would be more cooperative

AggieTJ2007
02-18-2005, 11:38 AM
the only problem with postponing it is that I have already made arrangements to go this weekend and I would not be able to go next weekend.

my Vote= go to either Alto or Gilmer, I don't know which one is better because I haven't been to either

uglyota
02-18-2005, 11:40 AM
sounds like they'll both be sloppy this weekend...
I'm thinking day trip to the Den tomorrow. How much rain has San Antonio gotten lately?

AggieTJ2007
02-18-2005, 02:22 PM
so are we still meeting at McDonalds at 6?

uglyota
02-18-2005, 02:25 PM
still the plan ,but I'm gonna start calling people in a little while. It sucks but I don't think gilmer's a good idea this weekend and the rest of the places we can daytrip, so we might back up departure time about 12 hours.

Fredo
02-18-2005, 02:31 PM
Well, it's not raining in Dallas, nor does it look like rain, but that can always change. Gilmer is kind of like a big sponge. It can pour and pour all night, but then be fairly good wheeling the next morning.

AggieTJ2007
02-18-2005, 02:47 PM
well dont hold me to this, I have been looking at different Radars and weather data and it looks like most of the rain is going to stay to the west of Dallas. the rain if any will be light and short, nothing that is going to soak and make things horrible.

I vote go to Gilmer

Sharpe
02-18-2005, 03:36 PM
well dont hold me to this, I have been looking at different Radars and weather data and it looks like most of the rain is going to stay to the west of Dallas. the rain if any will be light and short, nothing that is going to soak and make things horrible.

I vote go to Gilmer
I second.

02JeepX
02-18-2005, 04:40 PM
i just found out that a friend is coming into town so im going to have to sit this one out

4x4TahoeGal
02-18-2005, 06:07 PM
i vote gilmer

73bronco
02-18-2005, 06:15 PM
we still meeting at McDonalds at 6?

AggieTJ2007
02-18-2005, 06:17 PM
yes we are be there early though

JeepPhisherman
02-18-2005, 06:31 PM
Alright, I'm pussing out on this one too. I might be up for a day trip tomorrow if the weather if fine, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up at 6th st. tomorrow night.

jwingfield2k
02-18-2005, 11:16 PM
nasty drizzle up here in dallas.

Fredo
02-19-2005, 04:21 AM
nasty drizzle up here in dallas.

nasty drizzle? since when is drizzle nasty?

eight
02-19-2005, 08:08 AM
Yea yall beetches go. Slick = more fun.

jerryg79
02-19-2005, 09:39 AM
nasty drizzle? since when is drizzle nasty?

we had blizzard-like flurries here yesterday

AggieTJ2007
02-20-2005, 06:27 PM
Went to gilmer and Had an awesome time, here is a short recap of the trip

The trip to Gilmer was awesome, I broke in my brand new tires very well, lifted a frount tire a couple times on some steep hill climes, almost rolled sideways once (on a rockpile), demolished 5 trees, backed into one tree, smoked 3 tires, got stuck in the mud twice, I climbed several 4 and 5 rated trails with my newly lifted jeep, including one at nice, learned that I need 35s and lockers. Bronco bumpers will dig into the mud, rockcrawler are not good in the mud, highschool kids are fun to wheel with, and eric can blow fireballs with wiskey.

The carnage included, Eric's bent leafs, a bent coil bucket on the EB, I broke a sway bar link, bent the tailgate and rear quaterpanel, broke a sidemarker light, and ripped my cb cable off.

uglyota
02-20-2005, 07:21 PM
yep it was kickass, even tho I only got to wheel 3 trails (one forward and backwards) before my rear leaf springs decided to do yoga. Turns out the story about lift blocks amplifying axle wrap is true.
4-hour driveshaft worked like a champ, spring hanger stayed welded to the truck, front springs kick ace, but no shocks and soft springs=mucho body roll
Maybe we'll put together a full recap later, but everyone who suckered out because of the rain missed out! Just enough rain to keep the dust down. I gotta go back!

Sharpe
02-20-2005, 09:34 PM
Here's some teaser pics while I upload all the rest to my member gallery. How do we start a "trip pictures" report?

Sharpe
02-20-2005, 09:58 PM
http://www.tamor.org/members-rigs/Robert-Sharpe?page=1
Here's the rest of my pics.

J Cooper
02-20-2005, 10:40 PM
. How do we start a "trip pictures" report?

well get cody to start one for you guys

sweet as. i should have just gone...ive never been to gilmer....but then i would have missed out on some awesome drinking times.

any other carnage? garrett no blown up 3rd members? how did the trees treat the burban?

eric... looks like you should of put like a 6-8" plate on top of that block... might have prevented that. do you think your "add a leaf" on top set up caused that to happen?

oh well ill be in cruses next week :flipoff2:

AggieTJ2007
02-20-2005, 10:53 PM
ive got some movies but I can't seem to figure out how to upload them

J Cooper
02-20-2005, 10:59 PM
you can upload them to your members rigs page just like a jpg

Cody_91YJ
02-21-2005, 12:17 AM
well get cody to start one for you guys

Done.
If your already registered on the TAMOR member rigs...you DONT have to re-register for the event gallery. Just log in with your member rig username / password. Please make a new "sub/nested album" for your own pictures...if you need instructions on how to do that, theres a sticky in the club suggestions forum

if you have any problems, shoot me a pm.

Sharpe
02-21-2005, 08:28 AM
Nope no other carnage besides what Creighton listed. It was all mostly on his jeep... The burban did great but Eric was spotting me so that deffinately helped. On the way up there I developed a hole in one of my brakelines on the rear axle from it rubbing against the spring perch so we clamped it off until we got there. Saturday morning I didnt get to wheel the burb cause of the brakeline but around lunchtime Eric and I went into town to get the **** I needed to fix it; new line, little tube bender and a some rubber hose to cover the lines with to make chafe-gaurds (Creighton's idea). Creighton and Garret had been out wheelin while Eric and I were in town so they new of a few wide trails for the burban when I was done fixing my ****. I think I only did 3 or 4 trails in the burb but I had a blast. The burban did awsome with everything but turning. Factory push pull coupled with a detroit in the front SUCKS. With the detroits front and rear it walked up just about anything I pointed it at. There was the one rockpile where I planted the diff of my 60 on a rock REALLY hard but other than that I didnt have any problems. Some of the trails were a little tite, like wedging myself between two trees with like 2" on each side.

uglyota
02-21-2005, 09:41 AM
sweet pics robert!
yeah wiley coyote backwards is hard on rear springs.
Coop I'm not sure an 8" perch would have helped...I probably should have had more than 3 thin leaves in the back, and my top antiwrap thing definitely helped for a while, but a flatter one probably would have been better. I could tell exactly when they kinked up...they were definitely doing well until then

Sharpe
02-21-2005, 02:05 PM
How do I load pics in the trip pics section?

Cody_91YJ
02-21-2005, 02:44 PM
Same as the member rig section...FAQ (http://tamor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3958)
If you've already registered on the member rigs...just log in, with that username/password

uglyota
02-21-2005, 04:39 PM
So what do you guys think of this:
I started writing a trip report in the header of the Gilmer album. If you want to add something, you can log in, go to options>properties, and edit it in. Use <p> to make a new paragraph, and the rest works itself out.
Or you can email sections/notes to me (especially what happened when Robert and I were eating pizza...er, getting parts) and I'll add them in.
I'll probably work on this a bit at a time for the next few days, but if someone wants to sit down and write the whole thing, go ahead and do it, it won't hurt my feelings.
And if you think it sucks, let me know and I'll give you one of these:
:flipoff2:
yeah that's right

Sharpe
02-21-2005, 05:06 PM
So who do I need to talk to to get my windshield banner?

uglyota
02-21-2005, 05:18 PM
talk to the merchandise man...Ben

Shaggy
02-21-2005, 05:38 PM
and it is a sticker not a banner

uglyota
02-21-2005, 05:44 PM
good thing you cleared that up, cuz otherwise nobody could have figured out what he was talking about :rolleyes:

73bronco
02-21-2005, 06:54 PM
figured out what was causing my carb to run like s*** on the way back. That nose dive while we were "muttin" screwed up the float level. got it apart last night and fixed it, but when i went over a bump the damn thing started stumbling again, guess a rebuild might be in order

Violentv8toy
02-21-2005, 07:04 PM
looks like a good trip.

Are those your chevy springs in the rear, eric? what are you gonna do now?

AggieTJ2007
02-21-2005, 07:59 PM
i wanna hear about the expedition into town, I missed that somewhere along the way

uglyota
02-22-2005, 09:25 AM
Not chebbys, just a kludged together pack made of rancho lift (?) leaves and your stock rears...mostly. I think I just need more leaves.
The expedition into town wasn't anything special, went to every auto part store, found out that no junkyards within any decent distance stay open on the weekends, hit up walmart and pizza hut, came back.

AgDieseler
02-22-2005, 02:35 PM
This one's pretty funny:
http://www.tamor.org/members-rigs/albums/Robert-Sharpe/34_G.jpg

uglyota
02-28-2005, 11:24 AM
Videos?
Please?

AggieTJ2007
02-28-2005, 12:18 PM
Im working on it, the website doesnt support *.asf which my video camera records in so I need to convert them to *.avi or *.mpeg and then i can post them