PDA

View Full Version : Flat towing

CRaSHnBuRN
02-17-2005, 03:57 PM
what are the laws concerning flat towing a vehicle? I have heard quite a few different opinions on just what is legal.

AggieTJ2007
02-17-2005, 05:32 PM
i am not for sure but If you have to have lights on the vehicle of course

Sharpe
02-17-2005, 06:19 PM
You do have to have lights but you probably wont raise any eyebrows if they dont work. I flat towed a 91 chevy dually from houston to kingsville (4 1/2 hours) with lights that weren't connected because I didnt have a 4 to 7 prong adapter. No problems.

sasquatch
02-17-2005, 07:14 PM
Same here. I flat towed my CJ up to Dallas from South Texas with out working lights. Its about a 7 hour drive straight up I-35. No problems.

texasxj
02-17-2005, 07:33 PM
i dont think many cops care as long as your are driving safe and have your own flashers on or have another truck behind w/ flashers on. we towed a buddy home that blew out his rearend w/ a truck in front->tower->towee->one in back 'down 410 in sa and we had 2 cops pass us.

Doug Krebs
02-17-2005, 07:44 PM
legally i'm pretty sure you are supposed to have the vehicle registered and insured,a trailer has to be registered but not insured. Don't qoute me on it

Are cops going to care? I guess that just depends...

eight
02-17-2005, 08:24 PM
You're supposed to have it registered and insured.

If somehow you could get it registered and inspected, which I don't think would be that terribly difficult, when you want to tow it on a trip, you can add it to your insurance policy on friday and cancel it monday.

CRaSHnBuRN
02-18-2005, 11:29 AM
well I would probally just rig up some magnetic light mounts, or something that clamps to the tube. My main concern is the registration and insurance. I don't know if I could get it insured, or even registered since it doesn't have vin numbers on it. I still have my truck's title I could use I guess. I also don't want to pay much on insurance. Could you actually just insure it for a weekend? Seems like they wouldn't let you do that, at least not more than once, or it would cost alot. If it was a normal rig, I probally just say screw it and take the chances of getting pulled over and hassled, but something tells me the buggy may be something that catches every cops eye

eight
02-18-2005, 01:12 PM
Krebs did the weekend insurance thing. And its common for bad people to do the same thing so they can get inspection then drive around without insurance.

CRaSHnBuRN
02-18-2005, 01:39 PM
really? What kinda of cost am I looking at on the weekend thing? And what happens the next time I want to go somewhere? Do I gotta change insurance companies, or do I just try to pull it on them again?

uglyota
02-18-2005, 01:47 PM
your insurance policy isn't a contract with a time commitment. You can change your coverage every day if you want to. At only a few bucks a month (10 for me I think?) to add a vehicle to an existing policy, a few days of coverage should be negligible. I've flat towed my junk all over creation and never been hassled...ran a stoplight at 2am in front of a cop in Huntsville and all he cared about was that it hadn't been reported stolen. Even let me off with a warning.