PDA

View Full Version : Help! : )

4x4TahoeGal
02-22-2005, 02:23 AM
Hey I am thinking about putting a small body lift on top of my 6" susp. on my 'Hoe, and I was curious if anyone in the club knew how to put it on who could show me/help me or whatever... I would really appreciate it so I wouldn't have to spend a buttload at 4WP. If anyone's interested, please let me know, we can negotiate a price or what not. By the way, more people should have gone to Gilmer this past weekend b/c it was a lot of fun, I thought! That place has a lot of fun trails, so I would recommend going there for those who haven't yet! Thanks guys...!

J Cooper
02-22-2005, 02:31 AM
we can do it here in the driveway.... not a big deal...let me know

AggieTJ2007
02-22-2005, 03:26 AM
let me know too, I would like to help out as well.
(hijack) and if you have those pictures developed bring them to the meeting if possible on wens (end Hijack)

eight
02-22-2005, 08:43 AM
I may have done one or five or so of those in my younger days. Its a fair amount of work, plan on a full day.

texasxj
02-22-2005, 09:39 AM
its easy to do just takes a long time. took me 2 days but that was when i didnt know a screwdriver from a socket!!!!

jerryg79
02-22-2005, 09:53 AM
Do you have to rip up the carpet on those trucks to get to the bolts?

texasxj
02-22-2005, 09:56 AM
i had to take the driver seat out of my 97 chevy but that was it

Shaggy
02-22-2005, 10:32 AM
question... why do you want body lift... your not going to bigger tires are you... your tahoe looks good at that height and the tires seem to not rub anywhere.... just curious... and i think body lifts look bad

Sharpe
02-22-2005, 10:48 AM
I can help too. I've done a body lift on a 97 Z71 so the tahoe shouldnt be too different. The part I had trouble with the first time was figuring out how to get the bumper off but now I knw exactly how. It shouldnt take a whole day, maybe like 5 hours especially if we have enough people and tools.

stx4wheeler
02-22-2005, 11:29 AM
ill help.

savvyaggie
02-22-2005, 11:51 AM
it only took me 2 hours, to put mine on by my self on the bronco(and less time to take it back off). but I did not have any bumpers to relocate, and I heard that is what takes so much time...

texasxj
02-22-2005, 12:04 PM
it really kills the gas tank-more than a suspension lift would. makes everything rattle. i have decided to not do a body a DD again!! if you do put it on my sure and get the gap guards-itll look 1k times better.

stx4wheeler
02-22-2005, 01:45 PM
or you can make the gap guards out or thats black garden border from home depot we did it on a friends truck, in highschool and it looked pretty good for like 10 bucks versus like i think a hundred or so for the guards, how much you wanting to go cause with an inch or even two the gap isnt gonna be near as noticable as with a three.

agjohn02
02-22-2005, 01:47 PM
unneeded body lift = ghey

JB
02-22-2005, 02:08 PM
question... why do you want body lift... your not going to bigger tires are you... your tahoe looks good at that height and the tires seem to not rub anywhere.... just curious... and i think body lifts look bad

i concur

looks good as it is

4x4TahoeGal
02-22-2005, 02:30 PM
For those of you who dissed me for wanting to add some height, spare me 'cause i don't need any negativity, thanks. On a brighter note, thanks for all who responded and said they'd help with this - I think that 6" and 3" looks good on 2dr. 'hoes that i've seen, so that's why I am doing it. I heard from my friend at 4WP that I should be able to fit 37"'s once I get the body lift, but I'm skeptical 'cause my 35's with tortions rubs a bit if I turn sharp. Doin' the home depot thing sounds like a good plan, considerin' I'm superlow on cash, haha, but I have absolutely NO clue how to do that! What days over the next couple weeks would be good for yall to help me? I need to run to Austin on friday or saturday to buy it or whatever I guess, I really don't know much about body lifts! I have always been against them and thought they were stupid too, but I do like them combined with suspension. Those who want to help, I like to learn how to do new stuff b/c I know I dont' know much, so I'd like to try and help if at all possible so I will learn somethin' - just let me know what weekend we can do it at Coop's or whatever if that's still all right. Yall just let me know and I will work around yalls schedules. I want it before spring break....Also, what negative things come from a body lift...someone mentioned bad gas mileage....someone else told me I needed gears a while back, but I really dont' have the money, and at the same time I dont' wanna put too much strain on my stuff already. Feedback would be really helpful, thanks again u guys!! Oh yeah, haven't gotten the pics developed - talk to Shawn, they're on his cameras!

4x4TahoeGal
02-22-2005, 02:34 PM
oh, Kev i was wantin to go either 2 or 3 inches...I heard that if I go with 3 then I have to do work on the front bumper or somethin 'cause it rubs??? So I don't think I really wanna do that....maybe just go with 2. like I said, I know virtually nothin' about body lifts 'cause I have always been against them, so i dunno, i'm just learnin'

TxCruzr
02-22-2005, 02:44 PM
If you go with 37s later on you will get worse gas mileage, be putting more of a strain on your drivetrain and be even worse off gearing wise than you are now.
With just the body lift the gas mileage probably wouldn't be affected enough to notice with 1-2 inches of added area for wind resistance. I've heard of people shearing the body mount bolts with a body lift but they were doing some pretty extreme stuff and rolling.

J Cooper
02-22-2005, 03:09 PM
it will be fine... you can come look at cjs truck if you want... its a 6 + 3 and he drives it all over and even tows his jeep with it.... its just a body lift... everyone is acting like your doing something crazy.... big whoop
but yes... make sure to get the bumper relocation stuff and all that stuff.

next weekend would be good for me.. this weekend i have to much school stuff

Sharpe
02-22-2005, 04:06 PM
The performance accesories body lift we bought for my friend's 97 Z71 came with the front bumper brackets. Why drive to austin? Isnt there a 4wheel parts in Houston? Why not just get it delivered?

stx4wheeler
02-22-2005, 06:11 PM
if you talk to i believe jeremy kormon the manager at the 4wp store he can prolly help you out on the price of the kit, plus maybe free shipping or something so that you dont have to go and get it, he has given me a couple of decent deals on stuff i have bought as well as many other people in the club, i would definately getthe bumper relocation kit with either two or a three inch body lift, it comes in lots of the kits, also you need to look at some websites and or talk to 4wp, cause some or most trucks with a 3 inch body have to get a special part for the steering shaft to. i had looked into the totally inclusive kits some when i was thinkin about doing it on my newer bronco and the prices werent that bad. i dont think the body lift will make that much more a difference in gas milage, unless you get new tires, i would advise against going and larger than what you have now cause i have had quite a few friends that did 9 inches on ifs chevy's and some ford f-150's with anywhere from 37's to 39's, and seem that they start running into alot more suspension wear, plus they are extremely slow without gears. a plus of getting a body lift on your truck stacey is you will then be able to un crankthe torsion bars, therefore gaining you a little better tire life and a little bit better ride. my friend that currently has a supercrew, with 37's and 9 inches with no gears and just a chip, gets like 8-9 in town i believe. this weekend or next would be alright for me. depends on my work schedule but that seems to be very up in the air as of now.

uglyota
02-22-2005, 06:48 PM
higher center of gravity makes off-cambers tougher
SAS! Cut it off! :D
edit: order some neoprene sheeting from mcmaster-carr (mcmaster.com) for a better alternative to garden edging gap guards. This is not the stuff wetsuits are made of, it is very strong, flexible, chemical resistant stuff that will probably last longer than your truck.
At least if you keep hanging around with this crowd ;)

eight
02-22-2005, 07:24 PM
I think it looks much better with raised bumpers than gap guards. If I remember right, the kits for Z71s came with front bumper relocation brackets, and I built rear bumper relocation brackets out of the stock brackets and some angle iron. Another thing to do to make it look good is paint the frame. It shows alot, and isn't much work to hit with a wire wheel or somethin and shoot with rubber undercoat in a spray can. The kit should come with the steering shaft extension piece.

If the tires rub any, there's an edge you can cut off the front bumper and I think your air dam is allready trimed. You can also trim the fender about 3/4" and cover it with the factory trim or flares.

agjohn02
02-22-2005, 07:31 PM
the air dam is self clearancing. the gap cover things fill in the daylight between your frame and tub/bed between the rear fenders. might think about some nerf bars to go along with your body lift to cover up the frame hanging down.

Sharpe
02-22-2005, 08:55 PM
On the 90's generation you prety much have to use the bumper relocation brackets with the with the stock front bumper. The way it all fits together, the bottom of the grill has a little lip that kinda goes under the bumper and IMO it would look dumb without the bumper raised. The kit comes with the steering extender to it goes in the engine compartment up by the firewall.

4x4TahoeGal
02-22-2005, 10:03 PM
Okay well I have a hook up at the 4wp in Austin, so I am gonna give him a call in the mornin'....I didn't know they could ship it here to CS for me from that store, so I guess that would be much easier. The manager there said he knows Busa and some others in TAMOR so maybe that'll helpme, *** ....I don't mind about the gas mileage going down, I'll prolly stick the the 35's so I don't run into further problems. I am just bored with how it looks right now, so I wanna do somethin, u all know how that goes! :) I would like to come look at CJ's truck....does he have that silver Z71?? Sorry, I am so bad with names, I just know the rigs! I will get the parts and all that this wkend hopefully then yall can let me know when would be a good time to do it...(Cooper, it's really up to you since it's at your place!)... then whoever wants to/can help can ome. Thanks a bunch, I know this isn't a big deal or anything, but I'm a pansy and don't wanna mess stuff up, that's why I asked so many questions...thanks guys!

4x4TahoeGal
02-22-2005, 10:05 PM
oh yeah, and the 'hoe did pretty well this past weekend, I was pretty surprised! We stuck to the easier trails, but for having and IFS it was pretty impressive to me! And luckily nothin' got screwed up. Thanks Garrett, for lettin' me ride the harder trails with ya - your Bronco's really fun!!! :)

CJ4
02-22-2005, 11:36 PM
yeah its silver...i should be at the house anytime after 4:00 on thursday...i wont be there tom though...field trip to tsip country for law...

73bronco
02-23-2005, 12:30 AM
the bronco has a 2in body lift on top of my suspension, I didnt have any noticable drop in gas milage after putting it on, dont know if the kits come with it but remeber you'll need longer brake lines from master cylinder to frame, plus if your tranny shifter is like mine you'll have to weld in a spacer in the shifter and kickdown rod. I'd be in on helping also.

stx4wheeler
02-23-2005, 02:00 AM
some trucks you have to mess with the brakelines and some you dont i know on most fullsize broncos you dont, but you might have to on the t-hoe. stacey here is another idea since the guys at extreme offroad in college station put you sus. lift on call them up and let them know who you are and tell them you are thinking about putting a bodylift on, and ask them all EXACTLY what you would need to do so, or any mods that would need to be made, they will most likely be able to tell you everything you need to know, and then you can tell us :gigem:

redcagepatrol
02-23-2005, 08:37 AM
chebbys show too much frame with body lifts... :rolleyes:

4x4TahoeGal
02-23-2005, 10:51 AM
Ok well I called 4wp and these are the prices I got: $140 for the 2 in' body (perform. access.) plus the back bumper brackets which run around $50 or so. Also, I'm puttin two more hellas on the front so i was wonderrin' if anyone knew how to do the welding with the brackets and stuff. I have to move the two that I have right now a little bit closer. They said it'd be around $70 for install, so if any of yall wanna do some weldin' or what not then let me know when we do the lift, haha.... i dunno if these prices are all right, i can spend that 200 for the lift just fine, just wonderin' if anyone knows where i could get it cheaper, prolly not. sorry this is turnin' into a bigger deal

uglyota
02-23-2005, 10:54 AM
welding's not a problem.
Good and/or pretty welding...now that may be another story ;)
how much does Performance Accessories want for a Performance Accessories body lift?

Sharpe
02-23-2005, 02:20 PM
Check ebay if you're looking for a deal. There's always brand new unopened bodylifts on there. That's wher I've gotten 2 of the 3 BL's I've done.

J Cooper
02-23-2005, 08:31 PM
me and kevin got started early on fixin the T'Ho. rear end making a funny popping sound... thought it was either rear end limited slip popping or u-joint... pulled the cover it was fine, put it and park and the t-case u-joint jumped like an inch... so we replaced both u joints and resealed the diff..... IN THE RAIN!!!

its ok we got jack n the box for our work...
no 30 pack but close enough

stx4wheeler
02-24-2005, 01:21 AM
hey guys keep all the totallly non related b.s out of this thread, thanks.

4x4TahoeGal
02-24-2005, 02:42 AM
Coop & Kev, thank yall sooo much for everything yall did on the Hoe today!! I appreciate it so much-sorry, i wouldda bought yall a case or somethin' instead of jack in the crack! *** shouldda said something! : ) .... Most of the perform. access. lift kits were around 150, so 140 was a fine price, no biggie...guess we'll see what to do with the gap guards and all that stuff after it's on or what not...need to order it soon i guess! ha

Jackasic
02-24-2005, 09:02 AM
like you post frick? When did we ever edit threads for content? Get a little power ...

4x4TahoeGal
02-24-2005, 11:36 AM
i musta missed something, ***...

stx4wheeler
02-24-2005, 01:57 PM
like you post frick? When did we ever edit threads for content? Get a little power ...

the only reason i did it cause i dont mind a few posts that get a little off topic, hell i do it to, but when there is a bunch then, and it gets to have nothing to do with the thread then i cant see a reason why they are needed.

Jackasic
02-24-2005, 04:53 PM
but that's half the fun:D

ok, i'm done now.

4x4TahoeGal
02-24-2005, 09:05 PM
hey i am gonna get the lift and stuff from 4wp this wkend hopefully.... turns out that they don't make a back bumper bracket for my tahoe - i guess that atleast some of yall know how to do it...??? They said there's weldin' and stuff involved, is that still okay with those who wanna help? oh, promise i'll actually be there the whole time if we do this, I won't have a test to study for, hahaha

william_ace
02-24-2005, 11:25 PM
not that i really know anything about chevys, or might have just looked it over but, what about replacing the body mounts while your doin the body lift. just a thought. Im sure they are stock right now, and might not be a bad time to replace them.

4x4TahoeGal
02-27-2005, 07:40 PM
I got the lift and the lights - Saturday/Sunday good for whoever wants to help with it??? Lemme know so I can make plans

AggieTJ2007
02-27-2005, 07:47 PM
that sounds good, I will be here in town to help, just let me know when

J Cooper
02-27-2005, 08:18 PM
thats cool with me... ill be there trying to finish the truck... well just make it a wrenchathon weekend.

Texas2Wheeler
02-28-2005, 08:41 PM
I could probably drop by...don't have a 4x4 of my own to wrench on yet, so I'd be glad to dig in on someone elses. Name a place and time and I'll show up. I'm Brent by the way.

Shaggy
02-28-2005, 08:45 PM
yall make any progress on this thing or yall startin next weekend

stx4wheeler
02-28-2005, 09:26 PM
starting this weekend

Lynda
03-01-2005, 09:02 AM
Post some pics guys!

4x4TahoeGal
03-03-2005, 03:22 AM
hey cooper, what time do u want me to bring the 'hoe to ur place on saturday??? let me know and whoever wants to help can come over accordingly, i guess : )

J Cooper
03-03-2005, 03:28 AM
whenever you want... just not too early... gonna be up kinda late at a concert friday.

Texas2Wheeler
03-03-2005, 06:06 AM
yall still planning on working on the tahoe this weekend?

4x4TahoeGal
03-03-2005, 01:28 PM
hey cooper, what time do u want me to get to ur place on saturday to start??? whoever can show up would be of great help i'm sure, haha

Jackasic
03-03-2005, 07:13 PM
what, no post hoe'ng in this thread? Fine time to start that.

BTW Frick, she has a boyfriend ;) (so no need to suck up)

stx4wheeler
03-05-2005, 01:49 PM
Work starts in a few minutes come on by coopers house everyone, call me for directions if you dont know where it is 979-574-5870.

Shaggy
03-05-2005, 05:29 PM
the lift is on and they are messing with the grill guard and lights now... i had to poop out... im gettin old

william_ace
03-05-2005, 06:21 PM
well how did it turn out?

Ben97XJ
03-05-2005, 06:47 PM
It looks pretty good! She needs to make some gap guards for the rear. The plastic edging wasn't wide enough.

AggieTJ2007
03-05-2005, 07:30 PM
we just got everythign finished about an hour ago. The actual body lift was probably one of the easiest things. Taking the bumper/brush guard off and back on took the most time

J Cooper
03-05-2005, 07:32 PM
here are some pics from today.... put on the 2" body lift moved up the bumper and ranch hand, clearanced the fan shroud, made a cover for the rear and mounted and wired up the 4 lights on the grill...

all went pretty quick except for the ranch hand being a punta....

... and a the 'ho took 7 guys to life up 3" .... heavy (probably all the bling in it :flipoff2: )

had alot of people come by to help... it was a definetely a classic tamor wrenchin day like we use to have.

J Cooper
03-05-2005, 07:35 PM
couple more

4x4TahoeGal
03-06-2005, 09:59 AM
Thanks to all you guys who helped with the lift and lights! I really appreciate it so much - it looks really nice!! :) Yall can stay at the beach house anytime of the year since yall always help me with crap, so just lemme know if yall want to, esp. on Spring Break or whatever. Thanks!