PDA

View Full Version : Lincoln 429?

Cajun
08-22-2002, 06:11 AM
Anyone know anything about these engines? I found a guy selling one along with a C6/NP205. Any info would be appreciated, as my only knowledge comes from Junior Brown. Hell, that alone is almost enough reason to buy it!

My pappy said son you're gonna drive me to drinkin' if you don't stop drivin' that hot...rod...Scout? :D

mark
08-22-2002, 08:07 AM
The 429 is a Ford engine. It was used in Ford and Mercury cars starting in the late 60's and lasted for a few years.

It is interchangeable with a 460 and Ford often offered the 460 as an optional engine along side the 429.

Lincoln, as far as I can tell, never used the 429, only the 460.

-Mark

Krawler68
08-22-2002, 08:28 AM
I say 429 bored .60 over... dual plane intake manifold... two propane fuel mixers on 4 barrel throttle plates, and a 18:1 compression rate from custom heads and pistons... it'll run at any angle and snap axleshafts like candy canes. :D

Cajun
08-22-2002, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Krawler68
I say 429 bored .60 over... dual plane intake manifold... two propane fuel mixers on 4 barrel throttle plates, and a 18:1 compression rate from custom heads and pistons... it'll run at any angle and snap axleshafts like candy canes. :D

Just a second there professor...That's not exactly what I'm looking for. So, would parts availability be a problem, or will 460 parts fit it? I'm not sure I understand. I'm looking for something that can be persuaded to put out some respectable hp and torque numbers, but I definitely don't want to "snap axleshafts like candy canes." Is this a viable option, or am I wasting my time?

mark
08-22-2002, 01:24 PM
HP is not a problem with the 429. The least powerful version claimed over 350HP in the late sixties.

There were a number of versions including the venerable Cobra Jet 429.

It is a member of the same engine family as the 460. Some parts will swap, some won't. This will require some research.

But they use the same accessory brackets, manifolds etc. Even the newer Duraspark ignitions will swap with no modifications.

The only issue is age. Correct me if I am wrong, but the last ones were put in cars in the mid '70's.

The combo that you have found is quite popular for swaps into 78-79 FS Broncos. So those folks might provide some good info.

-Mark

mark
08-22-2002, 02:00 PM
I just did a bit of that research (its a slow day at work) and found that aside from the crank and pistons, the 429 and 460 are identical.

Here are a couple of 429 resources:

http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/198944

http://fomoco.com/ford-info-resources.shtml

Good Luck,
Mark

BMFScout
08-22-2002, 07:11 PM
I say fuel injected 392, if it can pull a bus along, it should handle that scout no problem. I will build one one day when funds allow, mark my words, it will be heavy and antiquated, but will make hella torque. Incidentally, did anyone see the scout in 4wheel whorehouses rag they send out? It has a 500ci caddy motor in it and 6, yes 6, shocks on the rear axle. This guy has a tech page for scouts, and is a tool.

StevenAg03
08-23-2002, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Krawler68

propane is gay doogie....why would someone want propane when they can afford FI....

robertf03
08-23-2002, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by BMFScout
I say fuel injected 392

I say IH 400. best motor ever made. wait a second, its a rebadged AMC 401 :D

BMFScout
08-24-2002, 03:24 AM
i say FLem is a jealous fag, sorry I didn't call you tonight rob, I forgot. I am reaaly drunk at this point, let's drink beer and work on **** tomorrow night, I will be in the shop more than likely. Need to get **** done before skool starts, are you going donw to TAMU anytime soon? I need someone to haul my "chopper" down ther so I don't have to haul a trailer behind Scout.
-end of drunken post from a glorified moped owner

Krawler68
08-26-2002, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by StevenAg03

propane is gay doogie....why would someone want propane when they can afford FI....

Because propane is MUCH less complicated, cleaner burning, promotes longer engine life, cheaper when purchased tax free, and if a motor is built for propane it can produce MUCH more HP because of the 103 octane rating of Propane... it just requires compression... and the only gay thing here is your 258... you can't afford propane OR Fuel injection so hush Stevie... :p :D

robertf03
08-26-2002, 09:15 AM
its a good idea, but the whole alternative fuel thing kinda sucks. Its hard enough to find a gas station selling diesel in North Dallas. Getting that siamese tank of yours filled would be a half hour drive or so.

Krawler68
08-26-2002, 10:36 AM
yeah but the 32 gallon capacity means I don't have to do it very often... and the best place to get the LPG is at welding supply stores... around here those are a dime a dozen... On the way back from CO with my dad I was able to find a station every time we needed to fill up. We even woke one guy up to sell us Propane at 11:30 at night in lubbock. Not bad if you know where to look.

StevenAg03
08-26-2002, 10:41 AM
what if you accidently run out on the traill.....your fawked then...

and what if you tank springs a leak....with gas you can easily siphon it all out and fix the leak. nope...not propane...

Krawler68
08-26-2002, 10:54 AM
if my tank spring s a leak I'm more than ****ed... it is rated at 2500 PSI and is extremely flammable in gasseous form. That's why the cage is built around it and all my lines are steel braided and Steel mesh covered... it's also why I replaced my sending unti and its seal. Of all the problems with LPG a leak isn't a common one... The 1/4" thick tank is plenty beefy. Remember the tank that I had filled in C.S.? It's still the tank that's running my EB... that's over a year later and it was only a 10 gallon fillup... doesn't seem to be leaking now... considering its placement I doubt anything will change that.

As for running out on the trail... I have an 80 gallon portable tank that will be chained to my trailer with a "wet leg" ( filler hose and regulator). If I have any problems one of you boys can always run back to the rig and save my ass... once again... this is one of my least worries...

Check out how many people in the West have been switching to LPG because of emmisions requirements and performance... I'd say 10+- competition rigs run it now... MANY more recreational rigs.

StevenAg03
08-26-2002, 11:01 AM
the only reason there is still some of that ten gallons is cause the SOB doesnt run...:D :D

Krawler68
08-26-2002, 11:15 AM
every time you start it it runs... it's still a little rough, but it starts right away nowadays, I think timing is a little off still.

Apparently there were some minor things wrong with it that Matt fixed and it made a big difference. I fixed my grounding problems and my alternator magically started charging. Matt has been driving it around San Angelo testing things on it... it still has LPG in it and runs pretty good... Gas would have gone bad after sitting this long. :D :D

mark
08-27-2002, 10:09 AM
Ya got an engine yet?

-Mark

Cajun
08-27-2002, 11:29 AM
Not yet...Currently at the top of the prospect list is a '71 or '72 Lincoln Mark III that has a 460 to donate to the cause. It has 370 Factory h.p., which I'm pretty fired up about, and the price is right.

Problem is, the car comes with it, it's in Navasota, and I don't have a trailer big enough to get it home. I'll be looking into renting one of those car haulers from U-Haul unless I can figure out something better.

mark
08-27-2002, 01:18 PM
You ought to come down and spend a day pulling the engine and tranny. Then drop off the rest at a local scrap yard.

Anderson is not too far from Nastysota. I'll bet those guys might lend some space and tools...

Mark

Broncocustom
08-27-2002, 05:12 PM
You can pull the stuff and then take the body to Toris(SP?) salavage yard down 105 outside of Navasota. Or my trailer is in Anderson. You can borrow it and bring it back when your done. If you want I can ask my father-in-law if you could use the car lift in the shop in anderson to pull the tranny and they also have the A-frame to pull the engine.

Cajun
08-27-2002, 07:16 PM
That would be great. I have an engine hoist and A frame here at my shop that I am planning on bringing, but I'd rather have too much stuff than not enough.

James, is your trailer gooseneck or standard bumper hitch? Also, any info. on this Toris (or whatever) salvage yard in Navasota would be great. I'd LOVE to not have to haul the Lincoln back to LA.

Mark, I plan on making this a weekend excursion to Aggieland. Alligator season starts tomorrow, so I'll be busy with that until we fill our tags. As soon as I find an open weekend and set this up I'll let y'all know, so you guys can come help, or at least point and laugh. I'll probably bring Matt with me for a "strong back and weak mind", at least those LSU guys are good for something.:D Anyone got room for a couple of fat guys to crash?

Thanks.

Jackasic
08-27-2002, 07:43 PM
you are welcome at my place. I might have to actually unpack though:rolleyes:

I'v got more room now that I have kicked mark to the curb:D

Broncocustom
08-27-2002, 08:30 PM
My trailer is a bumper pull car hauler. It will fit a big old car.

Cajun
08-27-2002, 08:37 PM
*In my best Mr. Burns voice*

Eeeexcellent...

StevenAg03
08-27-2002, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Broncocustom
'87 Suzuki Samuari (new)
'73 Bronco (under going rehab)
'78 Bronco (runs but is rusting away)
'50 F-1 (some day might be a 4x4)
'99 F-350 4x4 (sits at the airport)
'02 Expeditions (Amie putting alot of miles on this one)

hey james looks as though you might be in the market for a "new" vehicle....i think your getting kinda low on 'em

Broncocustom
08-27-2002, 08:48 PM
I sold the suzuki two weeks ago, I just forgot to take it off my profile. I still want an Amigo to add to my collection.

StevenAg03
08-27-2002, 08:54 PM
awwwww come awn.....you know you want to make an old lincoln into a 4x4 with 42's.....:D

Cajun
08-27-2002, 09:00 PM
Yeah, I'll get right to that. I just have to grow my mullet out first.

:rolleyes: