PDA

View Full Version : heim id?

uglyota
02-24-2005, 01:52 PM
anybody got a clue what these are or how much they'd be worth? Strong enough for 4-links? 1" shaft, 7/8 bore :eek:
ryan, do you know what kinda pipe I would drill and tap for links using these? How about for heims with a 7/8" shaft?

CRaSHnBuRN
02-24-2005, 02:31 PM
here is the listing of pipe sizes where kopecki gets most of his info

http://wedgewire.com/ps.htm

Where did you find those? They sound huge, but without a strength rating its hard to say if they're up to the task of suspension duties

uglyota
02-24-2005, 02:33 PM
you can probably guess, but I'm not gonna tell you! ;)
They actually don't look like they would handle much misalignment, possibly with high misalignment bushings/inserts?

bburris
02-24-2005, 03:18 PM
They look like they'd handle about as much misalignment as mine do without misalignment spacers. You just have to find some 7/8" spacers and you're good to go.

If you figure out who the manufacturer is then you can probably find the strenght specs...

uglyota
02-24-2005, 03:24 PM
I might just get them anyway, at least I would have 2 spares if the 4 squirrels were too much for them
Oh and for pipe specs check out sss-steel.com and download their .pdfs
how bout a link question: Is there any disadvantage to putting the heims on the frame end of your lower links, and bushings at the bottom?

eight
02-24-2005, 08:53 PM
I'm gonna guess that size of heim will be plenty more than enough for little ugly toyodie. Get some misalignment/reducers to 5/8".

All you need to know to find what size is the ID of the pipe, and the drill size for the tap required. IDs are in the chart chris linked to, and search for a tap chart.

Only disadvantage would be if you wanted to mount a shock or somethin on the link, the link will twist with the axle.

uglyota
03-04-2005, 01:01 PM
Okay I didn't buy them, but it was a great deal. All 5 went for $80
now a question:
In a recent thread on pirate, someone expressed concerns that the upper joint in the picture below was mounted incorrectly for the application, that it would be putting too much pressure on the sides of the joint, and that the mount/joint should be rotated 90* (as we're looking at it). However, it seems like this is the typical configuration for links set up like this. Whaddaya think?
Thinking about using a single 3/4 or 7/8" heim instead of a JJ, btw

Cajun
03-04-2005, 01:32 PM
I haven't seen that thread, but I know that there has been discussion about mounting heim joints that way. The theory is that by mounting them with the bolt perpendicular to the axle, it removes the side loads that kill heims by "popping" the ball out. The type of joint pictured, be it a Johnny Joint, RE Superflex joint, or some other similar product, should have either c-clips or some other system to ensure that the ball/bushings stay in the housing. As long as this is the case I don't think it matters with this type of joint. Also, I think things get overanalyzed on Pirate.

I'm sure one of the fawkinengineers will chime in and correct me on my terminoligy :flipoff2:

uglyota
03-04-2005, 01:56 PM
Designing the mount with the bolt vertical would be a b!tch.
I'd either have to leave the bolt head captive, or the nut captive and make sure the bolt was exactly the right length to avoid making something that looks like this:

Ben97XJ
03-04-2005, 02:10 PM
The reason for wanting the bolt perpendicular tho the axle is that that one joint is taking all of the side loading of the axle. This is not a problem on suspensions with trackbars since the trackbar takes all of the side to side loading. If you make the bolt perp. to the axle the body of the joint would take all of the stress. The JJ has a washer about 3/16 thick with a C-clip holding it in. While the other side has a threaded insert. The threaded part is strong but the washer would be the weak point.

uglyota
03-04-2005, 02:27 PM
dang, just realized I meant to put that stuff on the "why do TJs lift a wheel" thread
If anybody wants to move it, that'd be schweet...