PDA

View Full Version : Q-jet problems

73bronco
03-08-2005, 09:37 PM
Anyone in the club a q-jet expert? I'm having all sorts of trouble since gilmer trip with my damn carb! I've rebuilt it twice now and it runs great for a day or so then starts acting up again.

Heres what its doing: running rich, idle seems to jump up and down about 300rpm, I've made sure all the screws are set in the same positions as before and nothing, still running like S***.

If anyone could help out or recommend a shop who knows alot about carbs that be great. Need this thing up and going for clayton otherwise i'll be bumming a ride

Fredo
03-08-2005, 10:14 PM
it's probably leaking internally at the freeze plugs...you'll have to either epoxy up the plugs, replace the carb, or just ditch that piece of **** for some injection. :)

73bronco
03-08-2005, 11:02 PM
plugs have already been epoxied, i replaced the accel pump, all gaskets, double check all the jets, metering rods, ect.. everything looks fine. The thing I dont get is why it runs good for a few hours then run like crap.

Fuel injection is on the wish list, just have to find a mass air flow 5.0 cheap so i can replace all the upper engine.

robertf03
03-09-2005, 03:49 AM
I've got an 86 intake, throttle body, distributor, and maf pigtail.

grab the harness from a lincoln and the a9l ecm off ebay and your set.

matt
03-09-2005, 11:42 AM
Yeah, upgrade at least to the TBI. Fuel injection would be better because then at steep angles your rig won't die on you like a carb will.

73bronco
03-09-2005, 02:50 PM
I've though about throttle body, but if i go the fuel injection route i think i'm just gonna save up and do a mustang 5.0 swap.

robertf03
03-09-2005, 02:51 PM
I've though about throttle body, but if i go the fuel injection route i think i'm just gonna save up and do a mustang 5.0 swap.

my junks off a mustang ;)

its the one in the first pic

http://tamor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5366

73bronco
03-09-2005, 02:57 PM
ahh ok, but isnt mustang stuff multiport? How much would you be willing to part with it for?

robertf03
03-09-2005, 03:06 PM
ahh ok, but isnt mustang stuff multiport? How much would you be willing to part with it for?

I'll take $75 for the distributor, lower and upper intake, egr spacer, throttlebody and maf sensor pigtail and 8 19lb injectors. I might be able to dig up a fuel rail too, but no guarantees on that, and I don't know if the injectors are any good.

it is multiport. so are lincoln town cars around 86 and up. Thats why I said get the harness off of one of those. They are easy to find and around 30 bones from yards up here. add 4 wires for the maf sensor, swap 4 of the injector wires to work on your non H.O. 302 firing order and it works fine.

73bronco
03-09-2005, 03:15 PM
sounds pretty good to me. Just let me know how to get you the money/pick up parts.

73bronco
03-09-2005, 04:49 PM
shoot my carb will run at just about any angle, just ask the guys who went on the gilmer trip, only problem is its really sensative and hard to tune perfectly. EFI would also be better when i take trips to colorado. Carbs dont like altitude.

BMFScout
03-11-2005, 05:34 PM
when it was running good, my q-jet would run on the rear bumper, and it struggled a little on downhills. The problem I had mostly though, is that you never knew when it was going to run bad. One trip I could stand it on the bumper no problem, and the next trip it would cough out on a slight incline. The reliabilty is the key with efi. Moab trip was a great example, first day of wheeling ran shnitty, Fred rebuilt it in the campground bathroom, the next day I kicked lower proving grounds ass. I am of the Dr. Atkins theory of Off-Road, Carbs are bad...