PDA

View Full Version : TPI problems AGAIN!!

aggiemudman
03-23-2005, 10:25 PM
Alright....nobody seems to know whats wrong with my truck so here goes.. In the mornings when its cold and im drivin down 2818 it gets all jumpy. I hear a ticking comin from what sounds like the computer. My voltmeter jumps all crazy from 14 to 10 and everywhere in between all fast like. The truck is very jumpy and will backfire a little. Its kinda like the timing is being continuously changed. I replaced the MAF a while back and havent had any problems until about a week ago. It pisses me off sooo bad because i cant do anything to stop it from running like arse. Any suggestions are welcome.

:confused:

robertf03
03-23-2005, 10:35 PM
what year is the ecm?

sounds like a maf sensor burnoff relay problem to me

do you have everything thats 12v power going through the same wire? If those relays kick on while the car is running and its all going through some 14-16 gauge wire that ICM will not be getting enough power and the timing goes to **** when that happens.

fbronco86
03-23-2005, 10:57 PM
what year is the ecm?

sounds like a maf sensor burnoff relay problem to me

do you have everything thats 12v power going through the same wire? If those relays kick on while the car is running and its all going through some 14-16 gauge wire that ICM will not be getting enough power and the timing goes to **** when that happens.

When i was putting my fuel injection on the bronco i had issues with the computer not getting enough power. Sometimes the truck start and run and sometimes it would not. I did not have the correct wire size to the computer.

aggiemudman
03-23-2005, 11:51 PM
its an 88 ecm, dont remember what the power wire is like, but that sounds like a good place to start. Ill definately try that one. All the relays are new, and hopefully still good, but if the power wire doesnt fix it then i will start with relays.

Sharpe
03-23-2005, 11:59 PM
Well make sure the distributor is set to zero degrees timing, the puter controls it. Also if you have Bosch spark plugs, they are crap, change them out. Other than that my advice is, bring your truck to my apartment tomorow morning, and I will hook my code scanner up to it and see what buggin the puter. I live at Sevilla on the corner of Holleman and Anderson and my cell is 361-815-2408. I will only be available from 9-11 tomorow so if you want me to scan it, just gimme a call.

aggiemudman
03-24-2005, 04:59 PM
well i checked timing and relay today and they both checked out good. There isnt a strictly power wire for the ecm instead it is a 4 wire plug that goes to the distributor. So that should be fine i guess. Ive got ac delco rapid fires in there, they could prolly use a checkin, and maybe a cleaning, but i dont think thats the problem. Because it only does it in the mornings when its cold. It doesnt matter if it gets up to running temp or not it still does it. Only later in the afternoon will it run normal with no problems. That makes me think that the MAF is maybe goin bad or theres gotta be a bad connection somewhere.

:confused:

robertf03
03-24-2005, 05:49 PM
There isnt a strictly power wire for the ecm instead it is a 4 wire plug that goes to the distributor.

This part is confusing. The 4 wire plug on the ICM (distributor) does not supply power to the ecm. Are the relays getting the + off of the starter solenoid battery terminal?

aggiemudman
03-24-2005, 06:18 PM
probably so...theyre all connected individually though...no splices. as you can tell im not too bright at the efi crap yet