PDA

View Full Version : cj axle issues

colman
03-29-2005, 08:41 PM
well i screwed up my axle just like my brother did except thanks to those crappy torx bolts i can't even get my diff cover off, they all stripped once i got the torx socket in there. so if anyone has any cj rear axles let me know cause it is starting to get nice our and if i have to go much longer without my jeep i'm gonna shoot myself. thanks
81 cj5 was planning on changing gears to 373 and i have 273 but i will take almost anything at this point

J Cooper
03-29-2005, 08:48 PM
you have narrow track axles right? we got a narrow track 44 here at the house... come get it... talk to nick on price... wont be much

eight
03-29-2005, 09:17 PM
You can have my narrow track amc20. Gots a welded diff, 2.73 gears, and perches on top for SOA, no perches on bottom. But its down in Karnes City and I don't know when I'll go there next.

Nick's axle is better, and if the gears are still in it I think they're decently low.

AggieTJ2007
03-29-2005, 09:26 PM
just wondering, how did you do this?

J Cooper
03-29-2005, 09:37 PM
... i think nick said he had wide track axles on that jeep... so guess it wont work.

eight
03-29-2005, 09:54 PM
If it's the old one from his CJ5, its narrow.

colman
03-30-2005, 07:56 AM
sweet, can you gove me nicks phone number so i can give him a call. thanks alot

and how did i do this, i just tried to loosen the nuts bolts on the diff cover and they stripped, guess that they had gotten soft or the last person to take it off overtightened them but i still couldn't get more than 2 of them off

Moose
03-30-2005, 08:33 AM
stupid comments: did you try the next size down socket, hammer it on and use a cheater bar. make sure you're using 6 point sockets, and not 12 point sockets

maybe try using some vise grips? if they're stripped?

J Cooper
03-30-2005, 09:36 AM
.. he has those famous jeep "star" wrench whatever you call em's with the rounded edges... just because you cant get those out is no reason to get a new rear axle... the first time i took mine off they stripped and were a pain but i got them out and just replaced them with normal bolts...

try the hammer deal like he said.. but with those use the next size up and hammer it in there or get a drill and a bolt extractor.

colman
03-30-2005, 10:41 AM
those famous "star" bolts are called torx and the rear is locked, i assume something in the pumpkin blew up and is blocking the ring and pinion from turning, also there is slop at the yoke(which is also destroyed) and the seals on both ends are gone and leaking oil into my drums, well to make a long story short i need either to rebuild it or get another one and i would like to upgrade to a 44 from a 20 so if nick has this one that would be perfect

stinger7401
03-30-2005, 01:06 PM
yes I do have one, it is missing the drums and gears but has everything else. It is setup for spring under.

J Cooper
03-30-2005, 01:35 PM
those famous "star" bolts are called torx and the rear is locked, i assume something in the pumpkin blew up and is blocking the ring and pinion from turning, also there is slop at the yoke(which is also destroyed) and the seals on both ends are gone and leaking oil into my drums, well to make a long story short i need either to rebuild it or get another one and i would like to upgrade to a 44 from a 20 so if nick has this one that would be perfect

yeah i know what they are called...

didnt know you blew it up.. didnt know same as your brother did in the first post ment it was trashed. well then yeah you probably need a new one... come get it out of our garage... no gears you were gonna regear anyways right. might even throw in a transmission or tcase.. got 2 sets that would fit your jeep.

matt
03-30-2005, 10:27 PM
I had one of those beauties strip on the top of the tranny when I was trying to pull the tranny out and fix the clutch. Ended up having to weld a nut on the end of it and take it off that way. Be advised it is wise to replace all of those junk jeep torx nuts as quickly as possible. Even the torx sockets are known for stripping out because of leverage issues and slippage.

colman
03-31-2005, 09:24 AM
thanks for everyones help, i got most of an axle from nick now i hope that i have a set of 11" drums at the shop and that i can get a set of gears and a locker or limited slip soon, i will be ready for TCC somehow