PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know anything about Hydroboost?

Graystroke
04-03-2005, 01:31 AM
My susburban has mushy brakes. I'm fairly certain I have a week power steering pump and I'm thinking this is the cause of my mushy brake problem. Anybody have experience on Hydrobost systems?. If the pump doesn't do the fix could it be the accumulator? I've noticed w/ in the last couple of weeks that if I'm turning into a steady curve and I touch the brakes I can feel feedback through the sterring wheel. Like it looses power and the wheel is trying to straighten. WTF?
PS People(me included)always dis on Land Rovers about some of their wacky limey engineeing, but I have to say they don't have **** on GM. My RR is ten times easier to work on....maybe it has to do to the fact that they were hand made by a bunch of Brits in white lab coats.
I'd rather take my Sub to a shop and work on the LR.

73bronco
04-03-2005, 02:18 AM
Hydroboost kicks some serious a$$, got it on my bronco and locks up those 37's like nothing. I would make sure you had all the air out of the system, I know when I first put mine in it felt a little funny until i bled the system real good. You might also make sure the o-ring at the back of the unit isnt leaking. Other than that only thing it really could be is the PS pump, but start with the cheap stuff first.

Sharpe
04-03-2005, 10:52 AM
If the brakes are spongy shouldnt that mean the master cylinder is on its way out? Generally if the pedal is overly firm the booster is the problem. If you want to add more capacity to the pump reservoir, people have used a radiator hose clamped to the pump neck, then another filler neck at the top of the hose to increase the capacity. Maybe a cooler might help too.

Graystroke
04-03-2005, 06:40 PM
this isn't a modification. I shouldn't need a cooler or extra capacity. It is a factory system.

73bronco
04-03-2005, 07:23 PM
did you check that o-ring, its pretty common for them to go bad, theres nothing really in those boosters to mess up other than seals