PDA

View Full Version : 14 bolt prices?

Cajun
08-27-2002, 08:06 PM
What are boneyard 14 bolts going for over there these days?

I found 1 that the guy will sell for $100, I'm pretty sure it's from a dually, not sure if it's a regular or a cab and chasis one.

All others are $250. That seems a bit steep to me. Hell, I almost went to blows with the owner of one yard today for suggesting that his price was high!

StevenAg03
08-27-2002, 09:20 PM
i think you could find them no problem for 100....350 does seem kinda high for a common 14 bolt

AgDieseler
08-30-2002, 09:48 AM
If you're going to get a 14FF from a boneyard, there are a few thing you might want to keep in mind.

A late model axle (~'90 on) will have a lot of extra gusseting on the housing. It's cool, but not worth much extra money over an older style. Definitely go for '85 and on. The pre '85 axles had funky backing plates and are more difficult to adapt than the later style. Also, avoid 11" drum brakes. Shoes are no longer available. I know because I have them, and its a pain to get them relined. Go for an open carrier because that is what the $330 detroit fits in.

And unless the axle already has the right gears, carrier, 13" drums, is SRW, has good bearings, and is in near perfect condition, you should never pay more than $200-275. I would only pay $300 if the axle met the above criteria and for some reason already had a detroit in it. Don't worry too much about finding "the one," because they're a dime a dozen.

Good luck!