PDA

View Full Version : Coolant/Oil Bypass Filters

Chadnutz
04-07-2005, 04:27 PM
Well, I got some extra filtration ideas from TheDieselStop forum and I decided to install bypass oil and coolant filters. I just changed the bypass oil filter after 5500 miles and there was definitely some sludge on the outside of it so I know it is catching some crap. I also sent a sample of my Mobil Delvac 1 off to be analyzed. People run extended drain intervals when they have these oil bypass filters so I'm going to see how long it will be ok to run my oil (especially since it is so expensive) while changing the filters at 5k intervals.

Oil Bypass Filter
This filter catches particles down below 5 microns. I believe stock filters are somewhere in the teens. This is made possible since the filter is not an inline one like the stock filter, therefore low flow is ok. Most of the oil is routed through the inline filter, but some of it goes through the bypass filter for further filtration.

Distrubutor: Oilguard.com (http://www.oilguard.com/Merchant4/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=mtm&Category_Code=OilGuard+diesel+products)
Part Number: EPS-20
Price: $200

Oil supply and return:
http://www.tamor.org/members-rigs/albums/Powerstroke/Inlet_Outlet.sized.jpg

Filter and housing. The housing is thick!
http://www.tamor.org/members-rigs/albums/Powerstroke/Oil_Filter_Housing.sized.jpg

Coolant Filter:
I just installed this on Wednesday along with replacing all of the radiator hoses and coolant. It is also a bypass filter, running in parallel with the heater core, and fed by heater hoses. The filters come dry or precharged with SCA. I had to make the bracket to mount it. I also had the 3/8" inlet and outlet on the filter mount tapped to 1/2" to reduce the length of the plumbing. This was done for free by a machinist friend.

Parts:

Filter Mount: PN 427446C1 from Hogan's Trucks $26.25
Filter: PN WF2071 from Hogan's Trucks $10.17
Brass Tee (2): 1/2" Tee from Valley Valve and Supply $3.67
Brass Barbed Hose Fittings (4): 1/2" thread 5/8" hose from Bryan Hose and Gasket 2.29
Hose Clamps (4): 5/8" from Valley Valve $0.71
Brass Nipple (2): 1/2" from Valley Valve $1.42

Total Cost: $59.79

http://www.tamor.org/members-rigs/albums/Powerstroke/Front_Right.sized.jpg

http://www.tamor.org/members-rigs/albums/Powerstroke/Front_Left.sized.jpg

http://www.tamor.org/members-rigs/albums/Powerstroke/Back_Right.sized.jpg

AggieTJ2007
04-07-2005, 05:37 PM
i hope you really didn't intend on mounting the filter on the frame like that

Graystroke
04-07-2005, 07:25 PM
I had the same thought. From that view it seems vulnerable to rocks and other road debris as well to any off-road travel. I know you don't "wheel" your truck but it is 4wd and probably sees some off-road use whether it be getting to your favorite fishing hole or driving around on a deer lease/ ranch.
I don't "wheel" my burb, but the 4wd definitely gets used. If I were to do either of the two things (and I do regularly) I would be hesitant if I had an oil filter hanging below the frame rail as you do.
Is there not enough room to mount it on a fender well or front radiator support? firewall?
my .02

AgDieseler
04-07-2005, 07:57 PM
There's a lot more clearance than one might think after seeing that picture. The picture is a little deceiving.

Chadnutz
04-08-2005, 01:16 AM
Unless I high center, nothing is going to happen to that filter housing. It is 1/4" thick, so it would take throwing a serious rock at it to break it. The filter element goes inside that chunk of metal. There was no other place to put it given it's size. It is higher than the t-case and I have never hit that before...

AggieTJ2007
04-08-2005, 02:48 AM
i woulding be worried about it getting a hole in it but it getting caught on a rock and destroying the filter/ ripping the thing appart, I am sure the filter is not made to survive rock hits

Chadnutz
04-08-2005, 02:52 AM
That's why I didn't put one on the Mazda...

jerryg79
04-08-2005, 03:20 AM
i woulding be worried about it getting a hole in it but it getting caught on a rock and destroying the filter/ ripping the thing appart, I am sure the filter is not made to survive rock hits

I think you're over reacting a bit. He doesnt really wheel this thing. It's mainly driven on the street, so it may as well be a really tall Honda civic. The gas tank on my truck hangs down lower then that, I'm pretty sure there isnt a scratch on it, and I'm sure it does just as much ranch driving etc, as chadnutz truck does.

BMFScout
04-08-2005, 09:47 AM
dammit jerry, you are supposed to rip on chadnutz, that is the rule.
Check this out, Your filter is dumb.
Was that so hard Jerry? Jesus tits, move up north and turn soft. "Make mine a manhattan Barkeep." ;)
Is it common for diesel guys to send out their oil for inspection? There was a place to send out oil when I worked at the airport, but we never sent any in. We always cut open and inspected the filter, but never sent out anything.

jerryg79
04-08-2005, 10:35 AM
I'm just trying to stay away from ripping on Chadnutz just for the sake of ripping on Chadnutz.

On a side note, drama in the office, secretary didnt get a raise, burst into tears, cussed out boss and stormed out. Awesome.

Kumbaya!

StevenAg03
04-08-2005, 11:34 AM
Is it common for diesel guys to send out their oil for inspection?

at bus-ops we send off samples of oil and tranny at every oil change(~3/year) and coolant samples every year. And that is per bus...thats about 600 samples a year.

AgDieseler
04-08-2005, 11:36 AM
Is it common for diesel guys to send out their oil for inspection?
It's usually done when people are initially setting up oil systems for extended drain intervals, and they need to figure our when it's time to change the oil. Otherwise, it's done every 100,000 miles or so to see if things are holding together in the motor when compared to an engine's first oil analysis.

I just change my oil and filter every 3000 and call it good.

BMFScout
04-08-2005, 02:11 PM
I did it when the oil change light came on in Melba since the Chebby's actually monitor your driving style and conditions and tell you when to change it. Now in the toyody, every 8-10,000, but I use mobil 1 :)

Chadnutz
04-11-2005, 11:28 AM
I think this looks pretty good. I was hoping they would give me an oil change interval. I'll post up on TDS and see what people who know anything about these numbers say.

Numbers are in PPM btw.

fbronco86
04-11-2005, 11:46 AM
It's usually done when people are initially setting up oil systems for extended drain intervals, and they need to figure our when it's time to change the oil. Otherwise, it's done every 100,000 miles or so to see if things are holding together in the motor when compared to an engine's first oil analysis.

I just change my oil and filter every 3000 and call it good.

Oil and filiter every 5000 miles and be done with it.

jerryg79
04-11-2005, 11:47 AM

Oil and filter ever 6-10k miles, throw a new engine in at 85k be done with it :flipoff2:

fbronco86
04-11-2005, 11:48 AM
Oil and filter ever 6-10k miles, throw a new engine in at 85k be done with it :flipoff2:

crap i just rolled 87k in my truck i guess i should get a new engine then. :flipoff2:

jerryg79
04-11-2005, 12:07 PM
BTW, Chadnutz, I'm not sure how much research you did, so maybe its cheaper, but Mustang Cat on 290 in houston has a whole fluid analyzation lab, for lubricants and hydraulic fluid. Not sure if they would've have done it, and not sure how much it actually cost you, just a suggestion.

Chadnutz
04-11-2005, 09:03 PM

Easy for you to say. It costs $110 for 4 gallons of Mobil Delvac 1 and only $25 or so for Delo 400. I'm running extended intervals so I can afford the synthetic.

fbronco86
04-11-2005, 09:29 PM
Easy for you to say. It costs $110 for 4 gallons of Mobil Delvac 1 and only $25 or so for Delo 400. I'm running extended intervals so I can afford the synthetic.

This is just my 2 cents here. Newer engines are made to run with synthethic oils. They have different properties than the regular fossil oils. The main differenace that I know between the oils is that synthetic is a smaller atom and the newer engine has tighter specs. The older engines have tolarlences made for the older oils. And I am done thanks :flipoff2:

anyone else have an opinion?

usmcagg02
04-12-2005, 06:02 AM
i think mortal combat is the best video game ever.

fbronco86
04-12-2005, 07:18 AM
i think mortal combat is the best video game ever.

no way street fighter

Shaggy
04-12-2005, 10:00 AM
Old English 800 is the only 40 that is worth a damn

robertf03
04-12-2005, 10:44 AM
Old English 800 is the only 40 that is worth a damn

king cobra

usmcagg02
04-12-2005, 12:21 PM
"colt .45, works every time."

StevenAg03
04-12-2005, 01:47 PM
definatly the cobra....after twoor three you cant even taste them anymore....and it leads to things like "chicken toes"

Shaggy
04-12-2005, 02:22 PM
story?

bburris
04-12-2005, 03:30 PM
It involves leftover chicken wings being eaten by Robert and then the strategic placement of the bones between someone's toes while they were passed out on the couch...

BMFScout
04-12-2005, 03:51 PM
This is just my 2 cents here. Newer engines are made to run with synthethic oils. They have different properties than the regular fossil oils. The main differenace that I know between the oils is that synthetic is a smaller atom and the newer engine has tighter specs. The older engines have tolarlences made for the older oils. And I am done thanks :flipoff2:

you are an engineer right? Did Ron tell you this ****? you can't really believe the size of atoms from one oil to another would make a difference in any engine tolerances, new or old? Are we talking micro machines motors? I don't know the difference either, but I assume it is less prone to breaking down, and it is good. You could be right, but it sounds like something Ron told you ;) :flipoff2: We're gonna fight this weekend...

StevenAg03
04-12-2005, 08:02 PM
its like brett said....but the funniest part of it was when we were all at Mi Cocina for lunch the next day robert says "bwok bwok, chicken chicken, bwok bwok, chicken toes"(like the song chickenhead)....

eight
04-13-2005, 02:19 PM
Extended interval change air filter.

Parts:
NAPA 2790

Costs:
$40.190

eight
04-13-2005, 02:35 PM
So with this bypass oil filter crap. You change the bypass filter and the normal oil filter every 5000 miles? So you have about 3 quarts of oil in them. Then most strokes with chips burn 2 quarts per 5000 miles. So you gotta replace 5 quarts of expensive oil, plus an extra filter. 5 quarts = $34.375 + ? for filters.

Or use regular oil.
16 quarts of Delo = about $30 + $12 motorcraft filter = $42.

So if your filters cost less than $7.625 you save money and can use that to offset the cost of the fancy filtration system.

Chadnutz
04-13-2005, 08:37 PM
I have the air filter setup already..

The extra oil filter was hardly purchased to save money. I said I wanted it so I could afford to run synthetic oil.

eight
04-13-2005, 08:51 PM
Ah yes, so your diesel engine doesn't wear out? Or is there a benefit?

Chadnutz
04-13-2005, 09:37 PM
Because synthetic is better than dino..

AgDieseler
04-13-2005, 10:50 PM
Because synthetic is better than dino..
Well...sort of. There a whole lot more to it, and I won't fill you in on the details.

Now, this is where you copy a post from TDS written by an Arkansas born-'n-bred engineer, all be it a maintenance engineer, saying that "the bottle told me so." That bottle could be the unbiased opinion of the manufacturer, or of that week's moonshine bottle, which his eyes were straining to read anyway. :flipoff2:

All in all, dino juice, especially the Uncommon Base Grade Delo, is just as effective as synthetic given the right drain intervals. :beer: