PDA

View Full Version : Most fun place to offroad?

davido
04-15-2002, 02:34 PM
In YOUR experience, what has been the MOST FUN place to go froadin'? Not most hardcore or most exotic, the place that you have had the most FUN at.

stinger7401
04-15-2002, 02:59 PM
Every year we take a trip up to the Ouray, Telluride, Silverton area and out of all the place i have wheeled this seems to be the funest. Its not as hard core as a place like Tellico but it has its own unique style of froadin. Nights up in the mountains are cool to, in town theres a hot springs were people chill or sittin by the campfire throwin down some brews is always fun to. I'll be organizing this trip again so if anyones interested e-mail and let me know!

P.S. great place to get the parents interested in wheelin due to the nature of the surroundings

bigmike51
04-15-2002, 03:15 PM
Well I haven't been to too many places yet, but out of the the three regular TAMOR wheeling places I would have to say Llano has been the most enjoyable. Game wardens not withstanding I still think it's a great place.

It's also pretty fun bull****ting with BigRed huh Nix?

I'm pretty sure Llano will soon take a piece of my Jeep like it has taken so many of yall's rides and I will have to retract my statements, but it hasn't happened yet. :D

robertf03
04-15-2002, 04:38 PM
tough one, the first Llano trip was great, but back in the day Ft Hood was perfect. Huge bypasses around everything, and a few trips that were almost carnage free.

bigmike51
04-15-2002, 04:40 PM
is that place really all closed off, hell I've got a ID I can get at least one vehicle on base :)

Cody_91YJ
04-15-2002, 05:15 PM
So far I'd say Llano has been the most fun. This weekend was
pretty kick ***

Jason
04-15-2002, 06:44 PM
Clayton

Broncocustom
04-15-2002, 09:24 PM
Clayton has always been fun.

bigFAWKINranger
04-15-2002, 11:03 PM
LLANO is my fave... you have rocks to play on, river to swim in, sand dunes to blast over... and places to camp and drink. the local bumpkins and the game warden are just icing on my llano cake.

Seth
04-15-2002, 11:06 PM
I don't know who knows this place or who has been there etc. I know some people have been but maybe not seen all of it also. Anyways, it is by far my favorite. I have been out there 100 plus times as it is 10 min from my house tops. It is not really open or wahtever, but i have NEVER seen a cop there ( but they are there) Some real good wheeling, getting more and more developed which sux. Basically this is the place that I got into wheelin, went there during those TAAS days when you didnt have to go cuz you already passed, spent many a night out drinking beer, shooting fireworks (at eachother), and all kinds of stuff. ok i am rambling -- so i am a little sentimental. I am sure wiht these boards there will be plenty other 360 stories. all for now
Seth

StevenAg03
04-15-2002, 11:13 PM
As robert said....Llano was a cool *** trip. However, it was more like a big party then wheeling. For the best wheeling trips i would definately have to go with CLAYTON

Rex
04-15-2002, 11:16 PM
I've never been to Llano, but Clayton was very fun and had the best wheeling I've ever done.

BigRedFord04
04-15-2002, 11:40 PM
I really like Llano, and I think it likes me. Everywhere else my truck is allergic to water but in Llano, where there's a ****load of it, I can wheel all day w/o hesitation.

Moab was cool last spring break but it was a lot of just "trail runs" w/o a lot of challenging spots given that i know we were on easier trails b.c. my truck isnt exactly the super rock rig.

This summer I'll probably get introduced to 360. I'll be living w/ my aunt where Adam has told me is not 10 mins from there. Care to show the newbie around Seth?

Seth
04-16-2002, 12:09 AM
Yeah Austin we can definitely go to 360 -- actually i will be out there -- it is just a matter of coming -- we go alot at night -- sometimes more wheeling gets done than beer drinking and fire building -- sometimes not --

robertf03
04-16-2002, 12:26 AM
might have to break in the CJ out at 360 if the swap is finished by summer. I'm sure if we had another TAMOR run down there the cops would show up this time.

Krawler68
04-16-2002, 08:00 AM
BEHIND THE MOVIE THEATER!!!!!

robertf03
04-16-2002, 11:58 AM
behind the theater? no way, that park on Dexter is way more fun that the theater :D

BigRedFord04
04-16-2002, 12:56 PM
***...I sank a duck/swan/something in that pond w/ my potato launcher during one of our drunken escapades down the road.
:D

redcagepatrol
04-16-2002, 03:44 PM
CIBOLO CREEK in San Antonio is always fun for me. Its a short drive for a giant playground that can be VERY challenging

BigRedFord04
04-16-2002, 03:48 PM
I really liked 242 at the beginning of last year too...sucks that they shut it down....:(

redcagepatrol
04-16-2002, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Krawler68
BEHIND THE MOVIE THEATER!!!!!

That's the best place Dougiepoo has ever been to. The only wheeling he's done is in his PowerJoke and that ain't no fun.

Krawler68
04-16-2002, 04:05 PM
when did the dougiepoo start? Wheelin' the powerstroke? Blah... only to get where I'm going...It sure ain't any fun. I'd rather wrench american than wheel a nip.:D :D And as I recall you had some good "sober" times at all the old hot spots and mud puddles back when you were footloose and fancy free, Glass houses and all that other mess pardner'.

davido
04-16-2002, 07:14 PM
Well I'll ring in with mine. I wanted to hold back for a while to see what everyone else though. I never really thought of it, but TAMORites have traveled to a ton of places:

Moab, UT
Las Cruces, NM
Farmington, NM
Clayton, OK
Padre Island, TX
360 - DFW, TX
242 - Houston, TX
Spring Creek - Houston, TX
Fuqua - Houston, TX
Cibilo Creek - San Antonio, TX
Devils Den - San Antonio, TX
Pelican Island (Galveston)
The Slabs - Kingsland, TX
Shiloh - Alto, TX
BMRA - Gilmer, TX
Ft. Hood - Killeen, TX
Lake Waco - Waco, TX
"?" (I forgot the name) - Crosby, TX
Nueces River - Uvalde, TX
Tellico OHV - Tellico Plains, TN
And almost literally all over Colorado.

For me it's hard to pick. The hardest I ever laughed was probably at the last Big Texas Outting (http://highlift.com/trips/021499/index.html) (Ft. Hood). But I've also had a TON of good times in Clayton. As a single trip, the Pelican Island trip was a blast. Colorado and Moab were the destinations of the epic TAMOR trips.

All in all, I think Ft. Hood was the most fun. Not because it had the best wheeling from a hardcore standpoint. In fact it was far from it compared to today's standards. BUT, it was a place that ANYONE with a 4x4 could go to and have fun. From stockers to wicked, they showed up there.

It had areas affectionately known as Chicken Foot, Pucker, Devil's Tower, Kyle's Step, The Tank Traps, The Playground, Nosebleed. Besides those areas, there really wasn't a whole lot there. But it was fun.... for everyone.

BigRedFord04
04-16-2002, 09:07 PM
I immediately notice that your list lacks Llano and Shiloh. Anyone think of any others?

StevenAg03
04-16-2002, 09:12 PM
He didnt mention the Little Brazos either....:D

Fredo
04-16-2002, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by BigRedFord04
I immediately notice that your list lacks Llano and Shiloh. Anyone think of any others?

The Slabs - Kingsland, TX - AKA - The Slab, AKA - L-L-A-N-O

Shiloh - Alto, TX - AKA - S-H-I-L-O-H

I learned to READ!

BigRedFord04
04-16-2002, 10:53 PM
well **** me sideways...he still forgot the little brazos and "the river" (I think)...

BMFScout
04-16-2002, 11:02 PM
that would hurt...

redcagepatrol
04-16-2002, 11:41 PM
He forgot Crosby in Houston and Featherlite in San Antonio.

Damn, there are only two places on there I haven't been to, one of which I will be at in two weeks. I must be a 'froadin Freak.

bigmike51
04-16-2002, 11:46 PM
what's this place in crosby??

I'll probably be around houston alot, might have to check it out

AGRVR
04-16-2002, 11:52 PM
My vote would be pretty much anywhere in the San Juans. There are trails there for everyone and you can see 4 seasons in 24 hours...

mark
04-17-2002, 06:10 AM
what's this place in crosby??

Croby is that little place that backs up to 59, noth of houston. Seems it was mostly mud. It was a cross between Llano and Spring Creek. Did we mention Spring Creek?

What about that place we went with the Baylor folks near Waco?

-Mark

Krawler68
04-17-2002, 08:37 AM
In all honesty...Moab is definetley my favorite place. Low breakage potential, good traction EVERYWHERE, beautiful scenery, cute college women (sometimes), awesome restaurants, beer for minors, good home made beer, awesome climate...damn the list goes on and on...

JB
04-17-2002, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by mark

Croby is that little place that backs up to 59, noth of houston. Seems it was mostly mud. It was a cross between Llano and Spring Creek. Did we mention Spring Creek?

What about that place we went with the Baylor folks near Waco?

-Mark

Crosby is off of Hwy 90. You can also get there from I-10E though.

It is alot of mud, and alot of ATV stuff. That mud is nasty and if you leave it on, it will leave spots all over your paint.

BigRedFord04
04-17-2002, 12:38 PM
...awesome restaurants, beer for minors, good home made beer...

Eddie McStiff's 13 Beer Tour...whoo, that messed me up...

StevenAg03
04-17-2002, 02:12 PM
oh dave....you forgot Lake Waco. Not very fun, seing as it is mostly a place for ATV's, but we did go

Krawler68
04-17-2002, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by BigRedFord04

Eddie McStiff's 13 Beer Tour...whoo, that messed me up...

I LOVE Eddie McStiff's!!!!! Here's to Lime Beer and Pints of guiness stout "Mormon Molasses".

8Runner
04-17-2002, 06:08 PM
Ft. Hood for me, but Clayton is a second. I imagine my opinion will change when I finally make it to Colorado to wheel.

redcagepatrol
04-18-2002, 08:11 AM
It's a gigantic muddy area under a bridge on the Crosby freeway

redcagepatrol
04-18-2002, 12:49 PM
We forgot another one that we have been to.

The officer trip to WACO with Bear offroad

davido
04-18-2002, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by redcagepatrol
It's a gigantic muddy area under a bridge on the Crosby freeway

Does anyone remember the name of the place in Crosby?

bigFAWKINranger
04-21-2002, 12:25 PM

I LOVE Eddie McStiff's!!!!! Here's to Lime Beer and Pints of guiness stout "Mormon Molasses".

doug likes "mcSTIFF" huh? note to self- avoid over nite trips with doug... if possible keep mcSTIFF outta his grabby hands.