PDA

View Full Version : Beer Tap

BeachJeepin
04-11-2005, 04:25 PM
Alright I don't feel like paying $30 for one on Ebay...And I know ya'll have tons of these... I want to stick one on my shifter... 10mm thread, can't be longer than 12" cuz it'll hit my steering wheel. Anything would be awesome... Thanks in advance..

stx4wheeler
04-11-2005, 06:06 PM
you might wanna watch it i think coop was bending his shifter with one of those.

TxCruzr
04-11-2005, 10:36 PM
A cruiser guy I know had a shiner one and he would bend his shifter untill the the tap finally broke.

BeachJeepin
04-11-2005, 11:01 PM
is it just cuz of leverage?

jerryg79
04-12-2005, 06:20 AM
is it just cuz of leverage?

Actually its simple chemistry/metallurgy.

In general, the fittings on beer taps are brass and the shifter is steel. Due to the heat that travels up shifter, a chemical reaction occurs. The brass drops a copper atom and exchanges it for a carbon. Thus the shifter is actually becoming a crude form of brass. And we know about the malleability of brass.

Since the taps have essentially been bathed in beer, which contains CO2, CO2 acts as a catalyst in the reaction and enhances the process. I have read that Guinness taps do not do it as bad, since Guinness contains Nitrogen instead of CO2. The oil in hands does not but help the problem as well.

Two solutions for the problem. Bath the tap in cran-apple juice, as the acid in the juice decreases the reactivity of brass. or wrap a small amount of aluminum foil around the part where brass and steel meet. THis is a better solution, because the foil will act as a sacraficial anode and pick up the copper thus not weakening the steel. I have read also that you could create a "ground wire" from the brass part of the shifter to your radio antenna, but have not seen any posted results.

This concludes our chemistry lesson, any questions?

Shaggy
04-12-2005, 09:54 AM
hu?

uglyota
04-12-2005, 10:45 AM
how about anti-sieze?
I think it's really due to leverage
Guinness on tap is SUPPOSED to be nitrogen-fed, but is usually just CO2

stinger7401
04-12-2005, 10:52 AM

In general, the fittings on beer taps are brass and the shifter is steel. Due to the heat that travels up shifter, a chemical reaction occurs. The brass drops a copper atom and exchanges it for a carbon. Thus the shifter is actually becoming a crude form of brass. And we know about the malleability of brass.

Since the taps have essentially been bathed in beer, which contains CO2, CO2 acts as a catalyst in the reaction and enhances the process. I have read that Guinness taps do not do it as bad, since Guinness contains Nitrogen instead of CO2. The oil in hands does not but help the problem as well.

Two solutions for the problem. Bath the tap in cran-apple juice, as the acid in the juice decreases the reactivity of brass. or wrap a small amount of aluminum foil around the part where brass and steel meet. THis is a better solution, because the foil will act as a sacraficial anode and pick up the copper thus not weakening the steel. I have read also that you could create a "ground wire" from the brass part of the shifter to your radio antenna, but have not seen any posted results.

:madgrin:

jerry.......get a job

jerryg79
04-12-2005, 11:00 AM
how about anti-sieze?
I think it's really due to leverage
Guinness on tap is SUPPOSED to be nitrogen-fed, but is usually just CO2

You doubt me????

I took freshman chemistry twice, i think i know a thing or two.

BeachJeepin
04-12-2005, 11:15 AM
okay okay, but does no one have a beer tap that they don't want?

Shaggy
04-12-2005, 11:21 AM
i could look... i might... but i think i gave them all to austin so who knows... they were all shlitz

jerryg79
04-12-2005, 12:32 PM
okay okay, but does no one have a beer tap that they don't want?

You gotta look for the right brands.....

schlitz, keystone, red dog, etc. those are prob cheaper.

Shaggy
04-12-2005, 02:16 PM
actually keystone are pretty high.. people will spend a little extra on a tap that shows that they buy cheap beer... i got one back in highschool and keystone stuff was up there with miller shiner and all the others

BMFScout
04-12-2005, 04:13 PM

From what I can tell Jerry has less to do than me, and that is ridiculous...

jerryg79
04-12-2005, 04:28 PM
From what I can tell Jerry has less to do than me, and that is ridiculous...

I woke up too early this morning and i was bored.....just thought I'd pass on the knowledge.