PDA

View Full Version : Trans fluid question

mudtoy67
04-24-2005, 09:06 PM
CDRs truck is just over 110,000 miles, and I think it probably needs to have the trans fluid changed, cause I'm not sure if it ever has. Thing is, I've heard it said before that if a trans is getting old don't change the fluid because you'll end up just causing more problems. I don't know If this is an urban legend or not. So the question is should I-

not change the fluid and just keep it filled up

change the flluid and filter

take it somewhere to have all the trans fluid system flushed

Currently the trans is not experiencing any problems, except occasionally it is slow to go in to Drive when shifting from Reverse.

Edit: for anyone that doesn't know it's a 97 F150, 4.6L, auto trans

Ben97XJ
04-24-2005, 09:24 PM
Do not have it Flushed!!
If there is a drain plug on the pan just pull that and drain and replace. You can do this every once in a while and replace most of the fluid that way.

Or if no drain plug drop the pan and change the filter screen and replace with new gasket.

Both of those should replace about 4 quarts which is roughly 25% of the total capacity of the transmission.

73bronco
04-24-2005, 10:43 PM
if you havent done anything for over 100k miles change that filter, that pan will have all sorts of sludge from the disks you dont want that stuff clogging up the filter.

JeepsterJayson
04-25-2005, 11:12 PM
The theory with changing the fluid and having the trans go out is a pretty sever case of bad fluid. If you check the fluid and it looks like it is severely burnt I wouldn’t mess with it. If you add new fluid in replacement of bad fluid the detergents in the new fluid could cause the disk clutches to deteriorate faster is my understanding. A 97 F150 that doesn’t see sever temperatures in the trans shouldn’t be a problem. Change the filter and fluid at the same time.

Bet you guys didn't know I was still around did ya...

bburris
04-26-2005, 04:07 AM
I over heated the tranny in my old F150 (4.6 with and auto) a little bit towing the Jeep against the wind one time and it slipped a little on OD after that. I decided to chage the fluid and it acted better after that, but I traded it in about two weeks later so I don't guess that's much help...

aggieblazer07
04-26-2005, 04:51 PM
we changed the fluid in a 93 ford and it started slipping pretty bad after that. There is supposed to be some stuff you can put in it to help that though.

mudtoy67
04-26-2005, 05:07 PM
Do not have it Flushed!!

Why? You have a bad experience? I was thinking that maybe the story about the trans failure after changing was that you had old fluid and new fluid mixing together and causing probs like JeepsterJayson was talking about

StevenAg03
04-26-2005, 08:07 PM
the old wives tail is true...if your tranny is acting up then do not shange fluid and what not. IF the fluis is burnt it is thinned out. Once yo replace the fluid it is hard for the tranny to pump the thicker fluid annd therefore it "shells" the tranny....

however, if you have had not problems and the fluid in it now does not smell burnt, then i would go aead and change it out.