PDA

View Full Version : Brakes doing weird stuff

TRDyota
04-25-2005, 08:17 PM
Wow, I haven't posted in a long time. Lets just say I am back from the dead.

So, I gots drums in the rear, and theys lockin up sometimes whenever I am just barely rolling (i.e. < 5 mph) and I tap the brakes. Then, they stay locked, and so I have to give it a lot of gas in 1st gear to get them to unlock (or I just put it in reverse and rock it). 90% of the time, this happens whenever the truck has been sitting a while, before the brakes have had the chance to warm up, but every now and then, it just happens. Whats the dilio?

P.S. T-Minus 3 weeks till I move back to College Station...

fbronco86
04-25-2005, 08:23 PM
wheel cylinder is locking up. you should probably replace both rear ones and bleed the brake system.

Shaggy
04-26-2005, 10:35 AM
wash out the drums really good with a pressure washer... may just be some mud or crap in there

StevenAg03
04-26-2005, 02:16 PM
check to see if your hub seal is leaking. if gear oil gets onto the shoes, it will get hot with use. once it is hot it is sticky and will cause exactly what you are discribing. this happens all the time with the busses....

TRDyota
06-06-2005, 06:20 PM
And the winner is...Steven. I took the truck to a couple of brake places to have it looked at, and the grease seal is leaking and has saturated the shoe on the driver side, rear drum. Looks like its going to be a lot of work, and the parts get a little expensive. Well, I guess its not that bad, its just that there are other things I want to be saving my money for.

I wonder what could cause the grease seal to fail? I had done some mild wheeling in the Adirondacks up in New York, but I did't think that I was that rough on anything. Could it be just from natural wear? Or is it most likely that it came from rough use? The truck is just shy of 70,000 miles.

Violentv8toy
06-06-2005, 10:12 PM
i was in New York 2 weeks ago bumming around. I should have met up with you. I completely forgot.

redcagepatrol
06-06-2005, 10:19 PM
I wonder what could cause the grease seal to fail?

ever driven in water or mud? One drop of muddy water or a grain of sand will take out a rear axle oil seal real quick if you take it back up to highway speeds. Pretty easy to fix - the seal costs about $10 and the brake shoes - ??$45??. Just pull that shaft, pop out the seal and tap the new one in.

TRDyota
06-07-2005, 08:28 AM
i was in New York 2 weeks ago bumming around. I should have met up with you. I completely forgot.

I was long gone two weeks ago. Sorry. But its great to be back...