PDA

View Full Version : Relocating Axle

TRDyota
05-05-2005, 09:08 AM
I need to bump my rear axle forward a little (~3/4"). Sky-manufacturing makes some blocks (below) that could work. They cost $22, but they would be super easy to make on my own. Plus, I think theirs might be too thick. My center pins only stick out by about 3/16", so I might could get by with something .25" thick.

I've never had to use anything like this, so I'm assuming that they just weld to the axle? And, how is it going to effect my u-bolts? Cause the "flattest" part of the spring would no longer be centered.

Thoughts?

I think this would be way easier than messing around with re-drilling the front spring hangers.

uglyota
05-05-2005, 07:22 PM
I would just put an extra hole in your spring perches and ubolt plates. I have my front axle set up like that

TRDyota
05-05-2005, 08:17 PM
That would work, and it would be cheaper. Seems like it would be kinda hard to get a drill up in there though.

Graystroke
05-05-2005, 08:24 PM
if those would work. i would by those for only $22. wouldn't be worth my effort me being such a high paid wood consultant and all.

davido
05-05-2005, 08:37 PM
Welcome to the working world of the gainfully employed (time vs. money) :D

uglyota
05-06-2005, 09:01 AM
you gotta take off the ubolts and pull the axle from the spring anyway to install them...how much extra effort is it to drop the axle a little farther so you can fit a drill in between them?

TRDyota
05-06-2005, 09:19 AM
Its a lot of drop. Whatever the height of the drill and bit is. The axle is limited in how far it can move because the wiring to the locker does not have a lot of slack in it. Its possible...just very cumbersome.

uglyota
05-06-2005, 09:35 AM
there's not something you can unplug?
you can also put a jack on the spring itself to make it stuff while you drop the axle

Cajun
05-06-2005, 09:53 AM
Ferfawkssake it's $22. Buy 'em and be done with it. :D

They should bolt to the spring pack.

TRDyota
05-06-2005, 09:53 AM
I think it will work, without stuffing the spring. Worst-case, I'm sure there is something I can unplug. Do you have a power drill at your place? I'm looking to fix all this when I get back from NY in 9 DAYS!!! I won't be back in College Station till June, for class. So can I invite myself over and mooch of your tools? I'll buy you some lunch or something. I'd buy ya beverages, but I'm only 20.

TRDyota
05-06-2005, 10:02 AM
Ferfawkssake it's $22. Buy 'em and be done with it. :D

They should bolt to the spring pack.

Two things:

1) Its not the money. 22 bucks ain't bad. Its just that the rear of my truck sits up high enough already. Like Eric said, if I gotta separate the springs from the axle anyways, I might as well lean on a drill and make a new hole.

2) Would they even need to bolt into the spring pack? I've never seen these used before, but it looks like you'd just slip it between the axle and the spring, and slip the U-bolts over it.

Wait, maybe that's what you meant by "bolt to the spring pack". I was thinking that maybe you meant bolt IN the spring pack. Which is it?

Cajun
05-06-2005, 10:34 AM
I don't have any experience with those units, but ORD makes a similar item that moves the axle 1.5" off center, either forward or backward depending on installation. The centerpin of the pack runs through the block, for lack of a better term, bolting it to the pack. These, however, may not.

They don't need to bolt to the pack, they could easily be sandwiched between axle and spring. Most items like this (shims, the aforementioned ORD zero rates, etc.) are secured some other way, however. You'd be surprised how much something like this can wander around if not secured.

uglyota
05-06-2005, 11:13 AM
Roger brown makes these as well...he will drill them either way (so they bolt to the pack or not)
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/Shims.shtml#StdRelocationPlate
But I should be back in town next sunday maybe (the 15th?) and could help you out.

TRDyota
05-06-2005, 11:57 AM
Ok, this sounds good. Now I just need to double check exactly how far I need to move the axle.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't do this? Is this quing to put some weird stress on the axle or U-bolts that I should be aware of?

uglyota
05-06-2005, 08:07 PM
Is there any reason why I shouldn't do this? Is this quing to put some weird stress on the axle or U-bolts that I should be aware of?
Worst thing it can do is help your pinion angle a bit.
Make like a tennis shoe...

Violentv8toy
05-06-2005, 08:28 PM
or you can get some hangers, cut the original crappy ones off and reposition and be done with it.

or if you've grown partial to the crappy ones, cut the welds and grind down and relocate and reweld.

uglyota
05-06-2005, 08:34 PM
crappy ones? Didn't you make them?

TRDyota
05-07-2005, 09:41 AM
crappy ones? Didn't you make them?

Yes he did. And yes, he knows they're crappy. I still have steel to make new ones, I just thought it would be a pain to get a torch in there. And the one side is mighty close to the gas tank too.

Redrilling the spring perches still might be easier.

TRDyota
05-08-2005, 08:17 AM
Okay, so I double checked the dimensions from Pirate, and I need to move the axle forwards .5-.75". Figured I would split the difference and call it 5/8".

And, unless I just use a really really big drill bit, I think it would be easier to torch the holes in the spring plates.

bburris
05-08-2005, 03:40 PM
Why does your axle need to come forward half an inch so bad?

stx4wheeler
05-08-2005, 05:22 PM

exactly my thinking is half or 5/8 and inch gonna make a whole lot of difference. Why are you wanting to do this?

jerryg79
05-08-2005, 05:46 PM
exactly my thinking is half or 5/8 and inch gonna make a whole lot of difference. Why are you wanting to do this?

ummm apparently you didnt read above PIRATE SAID SO!!!!! Next will be tauras fans, f150 springs, and what else was it jimmy? :D

BMFScout
05-08-2005, 07:19 PM
I think Doug said it was an automated-plasma cutter...

TRDyota
05-08-2005, 09:12 PM

Because it bothers the crap outta me! It hurts me eyes big time. And if its a simple fix, and I am already in there to fix my shackles, then it I give it the green light. If its something thats more trouble than its worth, then no big deal. I think this one won't be too bad though. A simple redrill will give me mucho satisfaction.

bburris
05-08-2005, 09:17 PM
Do you know how hard it will be to drill through multiple leaf springs with a hand drill? It was a pain to get through one with a drill press for an experiment I started and I still didn't trust it enough to run it...

uglyota
05-08-2005, 09:21 PM
he's drilling the plate and perch, not the springs. It takes like a half hour. No big deal. Brandon I think it's a 1/2" bit, maybe 5/8" either way I have the right one.

TRDyota
05-09-2005, 07:14 AM
Thanks, Eric. Its going to be a few weeks. I'll be giving you a call when the time gets closer, and we can figure something out.