PDA

View Full Version : Welding Axle Tubes

BeachJeepin
05-06-2005, 12:27 AM
Alright, I'm planning on welding an axle truss to my D30, but I don't want to weaken the tube anymore than I need to when I'm welding. What temperature do I need to keep it under in order to prevent damage? Any other precautions I should take? This is what I'm gonna do...
http://www.stu-offroad.com/guards/orffab/fab-2.jpg

uglyota
05-06-2005, 09:07 AM
the tube's not cast, so weld away, just do a little at a time and give it lots of time to cool off between welds to prevent warpage. pumpkin's cast, so you can go to a lot of trouble and preheat and weld with nickel rods and cool slowly in sand, or you can just gitrdun and throw it away if you screw up...it's a 30. You could preheat a bit with a torch, use high-nickel rods, and wrap in towels for cooling.
Ryan might have more input on this...

eight
05-06-2005, 09:23 AM
Why you want to do such a thing?

BeachJeepin
05-06-2005, 12:55 PM
for many reasons that plague a D30, strengthen brackets, prevent tube bending, etc.... if i wanted to minimize welding, what are the areas of an axle that are the most prone to tube bending that I should brace first? I just thought this would be a cheap mod that would stengthen stuff up, and I've been wanting to do this for a while now anyway.

stx4wheeler
05-06-2005, 02:00 PM
i would weld it all like the one in the pic you posted but you need to do it in short intervals of welding and let it cool, or go to another part of the axle away from the spot you just did, and as eric mentioned, make sure and preheat and cool, the housing so that it doesnt get messed up. come one kopecki tell him anything else that we have forgotten since you are the axle welding master.

Shaggy
05-06-2005, 02:22 PM
throw it away and spend money on a better axle... or just leave it be

Fredo
05-06-2005, 02:51 PM
If anything, just put better axle brackets on it. I wouldn't dick with that truss. If you actually plan on jumping or really beating the **** out of your jeep, you're going to break something else long before you bend an axle tube. Not worth the time in my opinion.

jerryg79
05-06-2005, 02:53 PM
If anything, just put better axle brackets on it. I wouldn't dick with that truss. If you actually plan on jumping or really beating the **** out of your jeep, you're going to break something else long before you bend an axle tube. Not worth the time in my opinion.

Fred Brune - Professional Jeepologist

Fredo
05-06-2005, 03:02 PM
Fred Brune - Professional Jeepologist

I hate you Jerry. :flipoff2:

eight
05-06-2005, 03:04 PM
I agree with Fred. What makes you think you'll bend a tube? Somebody on the interweb tell you? Look at all the people running D30s in this club, if they bent easily, Conlee or Lynda or Lissa or Mancuso or any of the others that wheel more and harder than you would have allready bent one.

J Cooper
05-06-2005, 03:52 PM
me gottem 30... brandon spears gots a scout 30 front..... leave it alone

BeachJeepin
05-06-2005, 05:57 PM
I don't do crap just cuz i read it on the internet. Just thought this would be a cheap easy way to beef up my brackets, other than replacing the brackets themselves... guess ya'll think its more trouble than its worth..

stx4wheeler
05-06-2005, 07:28 PM
I don't do crap just cuz i read it on the internet. ..

like put acetone in your gas tank :laughing:

BeachJeepin
05-06-2005, 08:39 PM
shut up kevin.. haha