PDA

View Full Version : Shackle Hangers

TRDyota
05-06-2005, 12:27 PM
My shackles are getting pretty flat, and I need to move them back a little. Who makes some cheap ones, with bushings? The cheapest I could find was like $45, bushings included.

Or could I get by with taking someone's old shackles and cut them apart to use the "eye" and weld that part to the frame (forgive me for the run-on sentence)?

I'll also have to cut part of the trailer hitch out. The hitch has the gussets on em that stick out/down pretty far, and they will interfere. I don't really do any towing at all, so I don't think it should be a big deal.

stx4wheeler
05-06-2005, 02:03 PM
do you mean you want to move the shackle hanger, back to make the shackle stand more upright?, or are you talking about getting a longer shackle? kinda confused here.

uglyota
05-06-2005, 08:25 PM
3/4 elliptical makes your shackle angle adjustable

TRDyota
05-07-2005, 09:37 AM
do you mean you want to move the shackle hanger, back to make the shackle stand more upright?, or are you talking about getting a longer shackle? kinda confused here.

more upright

TRDyota
05-07-2005, 09:37 AM
3/4 elliptical makes your shackle angle adjustable

Explain. I'm not sure what you you're talking about...

uglyota
05-07-2005, 11:41 AM
clamp a half a main leaf (and second too maybe?) to the bottom of your frame rail with the eye pointing down and back. if you don't like your shackle angle, loosen the clamping mechanism and move the leaf forward or backward. If you don't like 3/4 ellip, put another clamp near the eye.

TRDyota
05-07-2005, 11:38 PM
Do you have any pictures of this?

Ben97XJ
05-08-2005, 02:01 AM
Try This! (http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/susp/elliptical.html)

Shows your basic setup on a jeep.

TRDyota
05-08-2005, 07:51 AM
clamp a half a main leaf (and second too maybe?) to the bottom of your frame rail with the eye pointing down and back. if you don't like your shackle angle, loosen the clamping mechanism and move the leaf forward or backward. If you don't like 3/4 ellip, put another clamp near the eye.

Wouldn't it just be easier to cut the "eye" off the spring, weld it to the frame, put a bushing in it, then call it good?

Mud King
05-08-2005, 11:28 AM
then i think youd be missing the whole point of buggy leafs?

TRDyota
05-08-2005, 09:01 PM
Then maybe buggy leafs is not for me...

Its probably worth paying the 40 bucks for shackle hangers and doing it right the first time.