PDA

View Full Version : Lookinf for a sedaline torch

jwingfield2k
06-13-2005, 01:42 PM
Anyone got one they wanna sell? I just need the torch setup kit, torch, regular, and such, and a bottle of acetylene. Somewhere around 40 cubic foot capacity. Anyone got one they wanna sell?

aggieblazer07
06-13-2005, 01:46 PM
do you mean an acetylene torch?

jwingfield2k
06-13-2005, 01:53 PM
isnt that what i said...:)

StevenAg03
06-13-2005, 01:54 PM
i talked to botco and they said they were all out of sedaline....but they had plenty of acetylene....BTW you know that you will also need an oxygen bottle with that as well...

aggieblazer07
06-13-2005, 01:56 PM
you can't get out of this one :gigem:

jwingfield2k
06-13-2005, 01:57 PM
no i dont need oxygen for what im doing.

StevenAg03
06-13-2005, 01:59 PM
please tell us what you need it for...

AgDieseler
06-13-2005, 02:00 PM
He's a huffer.

robertf03
06-13-2005, 02:07 PM
oh dear, this must be leading up to a great idea.

my guess is "sedaline" injection on a ford 6.0

jerryg79
06-13-2005, 02:09 PM
no i dont need oxygen for what im doing.

what's that? drowning yourself? You dont need sedaline, oxyjin, or even propain. Just a bucket and some water.

jerryg79
06-13-2005, 02:10 PM
oh dear, this must be leading up to a great idea.

my guess is "sedaline" injection on a ford 6.0

or doing some work on a bed pan...i mean plate.

jwingfield2k
06-13-2005, 02:38 PM
too funny boys. soldering 2" copper mainline on this old old house's sprinkler system. Old copper line run as the mainline after the doublecheck valve. so old its still got brass hallomatic heads for those of you that know little about sprinkler systems.

And despite yalls beliefs, there is a thing called the bed plate on my engine. since my oil pan is quite large (15 qts for my engine), its wider at the bottom to hold a large quanitity of oil, so the bottom of the pan is wider than the engine block, therefore the bed plate is like an adaptor to mate the two.

No, but I'm looking for a biodiesel co-op to buy fuel for my truck though. My fuel bill is huge.

Fredo
06-13-2005, 02:50 PM
man, between wingfields spelling and his ideas for projects...it's almost like Leebo "Lww K" and chadnutz had some sort of butt baby.

robertf03
06-13-2005, 02:51 PM
$20 bernzomatic propane kit

jwingfield2k
06-13-2005, 02:58 PM
yah, ive got one of those, it doesnt put out enough to heat up that size pipe. thats why im needing a larger one. ive got like 3 of those things in my garage running mapp gas and propane. i gotta get the whole pipe heated up at once, those little torches wont do the trick.

BMFScout
06-13-2005, 03:00 PM
sedaline is the new roofie, don't you fawkers know anything. Roofiecoladas are a thing of the past, the new thing is a sedarita...

How about this one Jerry, "All I need is some Chloroform and she'll be mine..."
What's song is that from, Mr. Muppet Movie? :flipoff2:

jerryg79
06-13-2005, 03:05 PM
How about this one Jerry, "All I need is some Chloroform and she'll be mine..."
What's song is that from, Mr. Muppet Movie? :flipoff2:

Sorry google only turns up some Flickerstick lyrics on that one, but if that's the case you didnt quote it right.

jwingfield2k
06-13-2005, 03:06 PM
I did this Jeporady quiz thing the other day, and one of the questions that was asked was "What is one of the chemicals in plants that is involved in Photosynthesis?"

One of the adults jumped up and screamed chloroform :-\

CJ4
06-13-2005, 03:06 PM
you might want to give brazos valley welding supply a call...its located on 2818 before 21....i got a cylinder for the mig there....i have no idea what they charge for acetylene though...

BMFScout
06-13-2005, 04:25 PM
It was flickerstick, and you are dumb, I am right!

jerryg79
06-13-2005, 04:28 PM
It was flickerstick, and you are dumb, I am right!

All she needs is some chloroform
And she'll be mine

StevenAg03
06-13-2005, 04:43 PM
too funny boys. soldering 2" copper mainline on this old old house's sprinkler system. Old copper line run as the mainline after the doublecheck valve. so old its still got brass hallomatic heads for those of you that know little about sprinkler systems.

And despite yalls beliefs, there is a thing called the bed plate on my engine. since my oil pan is quite large (15 qts for my engine), its wider at the bottom to hold a large quanitity of oil, so the bottom of the pan is wider than the engine block, therefore the bed plate is like an adaptor to mate the two.

No, but I'm looking for a biodiesel co-op to buy fuel for my truck though. My fuel bill is huge.

you do realize that without the oxygen part...the gas will not be that hot....have you tried using the yellow cylinders of Mapp Gas...you can get them at any irrigation supply house or at Home Depot or Lowes or ect or ect. Mapp gas will work for what you are doing. the temperature of Mapp gas is around 5300*F while propane is around 3900*F and Mapp gas is far superior to acetylene for brazing and it is even better for cutting if used in place of acetylene in an oxy-acetylene setup.

anything else you wanna know about sprinklers you let me know....

EDIT: why are you going to use a copper mainline. i know that you say it already exists, but why not use a compression fitting or somethign of the like to get to PVC. makes noe sence and is far less headache....also where in the hell are you that a house uses a two inch mainline. that is usually reserved for larg comercial jobs.

sasquatch
06-13-2005, 05:11 PM
They have torches that just run off the acetylene B tank. I have one that's called a Turbotorch. I use it for sweating in the copper drains and refridgerant lines on a/c units. Its nice to not worry about blowing holes in the copper and the rig is also lighter. You buy the torch/regulator and pay for the tank once and exchange it just like every other tank. But the larger the pipe the more time it'll take to heat up the pipe to take the solder. It should be fine to use with 2" though, be sure to rough up the ends and use flux.

And the mapp gas will work too if you're not doing this everyday.

davido
06-13-2005, 06:33 PM
I did this Jeporady quiz thing the other day, and one of the questions that was asked was "What is one of the chemicals in plants that is involved in Photosynthesis?"

One of the adults jumped up and screamed chloroform :-\

Don't you mean...

One of the chemicals in plants that is involved in Photosynthesis.

Then someone jumped up and screamed...

What is cloroform?

I may be going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing you're no Ken Jennings.

redcagepatrol
06-13-2005, 10:25 PM
man, between wingfields spelling and his ideas for projects...it's almost like Leebo "Lww K" and chadnutz had some sort of butt baby.

good - oll LeeBo... :gigem:

StevenAg03
06-14-2005, 08:04 AM
HUH HUH....I GAHT LOCKA....AN DANA FOTY-FOR....HUHHUH :gigem:

jerryg79
06-14-2005, 08:09 AM
HUH HUH....I GAHT LOCKA....AN DANA FOTY-FOR....HUHHUH :gigem:

Say it with me Wingfield "Mondo Body Damage"

StevenAg03
06-14-2005, 09:24 AM
Say it with me Wingfield "Mondo Body Damage"

its "MONDOH BAH-E DAMAGE"...and hearing that on the phone when you call and ask how everyone is fairing in cruces while your 600 miles north in montrose is priceless....

ahhh damn it Jerry...that also reminds me of when me and Doug beat him back home and the putrid odor emitting from the "licked clean" plates hidden under his bead and other things in that room was almost too much to handle. hell he hadn't been there in a week to fabreeze it every day....

ahhh but it reminds me of when everyone pissed, err...pitched, in on a bottle of Southern Comfort for lee....was that the same night i decided it would be a good idea to finish mowing the lawn at 2am and the neighbors asked Doug not to start his bronco that late at night....nahhh different night...

but then there was the time that Crystal Wash-n-banger IMed him under an alias screen name and he said "I have an athletic build and look sexy playing pool nekkid"....the pool table just wasn't the same after that....hmmm....there are quite a few stories revolving around that girl and her need for oral fixation....even if the receiving party hasn't showered after several days of working on ones bronco....

and then there was the freezing cold ass raining night that Doug shook his weener at Dustin to get him to fight....

i don't know weather to hate or love that house we lived in....i think it was too much of a party street...I'm the only one affiliated with that house that stayed in school...Doug come back after a couple year hiatus

EDIT: i almost forgot about that FHK girl that took a full shot of everclear cause we told her we would give her a case of beer(of which we only had 5)...them FHK ones are crazy

jerryg79
06-14-2005, 09:29 AM
its "MONDOH BAH-E DAMAGE"...and hearing that on the phone when you call and ask how everyone is fairing in cruces while your 600 miles north in montrose is priceless....

Thank you for clarifying the spelling, I was at a loss as to how to spell like it is pronounced.

Now you're making me remenisce about good 'ol 1503 Austin. Had to burn the house down after we left you know, too much of a disgrace to the Muslims that owned it. I think it was all the porkin'. :flipoff2:

(Isn't lee still on here occasionally)

StevenAg03
06-14-2005, 10:10 AM
dont know nor do i care...its what it was...i cant go back and change it...

jwingfield2k
06-14-2005, 03:02 PM
anything else you wanna know about sprinklers you let me know....

I appreciate the offer, but my dad has done sprinklers all his life. First off one little bottle of MAPP gas won't do the trick for heating a 2" line at once. It works (used it this morning) for doing half inch lines and 1" lines, but when you do two inch you need to whole pipe to be hot at once, and don't have to wait around all day for it to get heated up.

And he never used oxygen when he had his installation company (now he just draws the plans on autocad). I'm still guessing no one has a tank and torch kit they need to sell, and still as it stands I don't need oxygen for what I'm doing. But if you need any sprinkler help, feel free to ask.

Oh and the house that uses two inch mainline is a house that was built in the 50's (more than likely). Over off of Inwood and NW Highway area for those of you that know the area. Huge lawns, pools, yada yada. The house itself has two water meters. Same area that Ross Perot lives (not something to be proud of that is), but rather large houses.

StevenAg03
06-14-2005, 03:47 PM
yes I know where your talking about...most all the houses by White Rock Lake have all copper systems...and they are the biggest pain in the ass to repair....

So your dad is now one a landscape architect that draws sprinkler plans up huh? I hate some of those guys cause they are always dicks and think their sprinkler designs always work in the real world like they do on paper and it rarely happens. What company did he work for? My dad is the commercial superintendent of Dallas operations for Choate Irrigation(the largest commercial and residential sprinkler company in the US) and i have my irrigation license and worked for my "step-mom's" irrigation company(not my dads, that would be a conflict of interest) when I'm home so i wont be needing any help...but if you have any questions feel free to ask :flipoff2:

Doug Krebs
06-14-2005, 04:03 PM
yes I know where your talking about...most all the houses by White Rock Lake have all copper systems...and they are the biggest pain in the ass to repair....

maybe a pain, but not compared to replacing the entire plumbing in 30 years or so when the galvanized iron pipe starts to corrode from the inside out. Ask my Al, I'm sure he'd love to talk pipe and how to lay it! :laughing:

StevenAg03
06-14-2005, 06:39 PM
FYI they dont use galvanized pipe anymore and it is very rare to find it in a house say less then five to ten years old

Chadnutz
06-14-2005, 07:00 PM
Acetylene burns really dirty and bright by itself. We braze stuff at work with both oxy. and ace. I also ran the chilled water lines for our psychrometric test facility (a/cs) and it was 2" copper pipe. You will enjoy the extra heat and clean burn, I promise.

Graystroke
06-14-2005, 08:03 PM
just jb weld the SOB!

Doug Krebs
06-14-2005, 09:09 PM
Acetylene burns really dirty and bright by itself. We braze stuff at work with both oxy. and ace. I also ran the chilled water lines for our psychrometric test facility (a/cs) and it was 2" copper pipe. You will enjoy the extra heat and clean burn, I promise.

There is actually a torch designed to just use acetylene. Of course it also mixes oxygen from the air. It doesn't burn like acetylene coming out of an oxy/acet torch with black wispies. I've seen AC people use them and have also seen them used to repair brass instruments.

agjohn02
06-14-2005, 09:15 PM
i use the acetylene only torch at work a lot for soldering brass. it siphons air and burns it with the acetylene. works good.

Jackasic
06-14-2005, 09:26 PM
i've got a snake.

jwingfield2k
06-14-2005, 10:52 PM
My dad owned a company called Main Three and Associates. Every new school that goes up, he draws. He does all the Eckerds, Chilis, Mac Grills, Tony Romas, all of Brinkers stuff, did willowbend mall, did stonebriar mall. He designs it all. And I totally agree with what you said about design guys being dicks, because theyve never been in the field. (That where alot of my repairs come in, moving heads to right spots). But he was design and install, and then sold his company and went straight to design. Not to take a wack at your dad, I'm sure he does great work, but Choate doesn't do the highest quality of work in the area.
Dad isnt a Landscape Architect, he's irrigation if I mistyped something earlier.

And still a little mapp gas bottle isnt enough to heat up a 2" pipe by itself. I'm just gonna take two torches to it tomorrow and cover both sides is what I'll end up doing. Pain in the butt, but it'll get it working.

Steven, do you work in Dallas area?

AgJohn and Doug hit it straight on the head. Thats what I was needing. the acetylene torch just like theyre talking about. Doesnt need oxygen.

And yes old old houses did come with galvanized. When one of my friends bought his house it had galvanized house mainline. He's taking care of all that this weekend. :-D

Steven sorry if I came across rude, I didnt' know you actually knew what you were talking about (compared to some people in here). But you are knowledgeable, and no harm meant. But still as it stands, I just need an acetylene only torch:-D.

Heres a pic of the doublecheck... two inch copper through the whole thing, old house. all the heads that were original were copper and sweated on throughout the whole system. This house has 12 zones, probably a few acre lot I supposed, two water meters for this property. And heres a pic of those old HallOMatic valves... PITA little butts. The diaphram on this valve went out, but the good thing about these old ones is that I can flip the rubber seal upside down cause its not all jacked (which I'm thinking the other side is). Hopefully thats the case and I won't have to put in a new valve and dig a massive hole. Oh and compression fittings aren't the most reliable things in the world for this situation, thats why I'm not going that route.

Oh, take a look at the new Weathermatic SL1600 controller and the weather station. Weathermatic took us out to III Forks the other day and showed us all about it. They're sending out a guy to install outs and the weather station this friday afternoon for free. I think I got a 12 station controller at john deere landscapes for 160+tax today, and if you buy a weather station the controller is free right now. Theyre the best controllers out there right now, and I wired and programed 12 stations in less than 30 mins for my first time messing with this thing outta the box. http://www.weathermatic.com/smartline/index.html
Until next time.

Violentv8toy
06-15-2005, 12:19 AM
my dad can lay pipe better than your dad.

StevenAg03
06-15-2005, 12:24 AM
ill agree with you on Choate not doing great work, but only with residential jobs...they just do cookie cutter jobs and each crew does about three or so eight zone houses a day. Commercial jobs are a totally different story. they do top notch wok on commercial jobs and that's why my dad works in commercial.

where is willowbend mall? my dad might have done it. in addition to him being commercial superintendent which intels overseeing all the foreman's crews, he has three of his own crews that only do jobs for the Sinacolas(rich, extremely picky Italians and they get whatever they want) and a select other group of people. i know he did the shops of legacy and a few other high profile malls. What is your dads name?

The reason i said landscape architect is because the landscape artist usually does the sprinkler design as well.

i am currently on a co-op with a company called Parker Hannifin so i am not working for my dad/step-mom. But they do jobs all over and mainly focus out in forney by where they live. she also rakes in some good dough by doing back flow testing since it is required every year. 20 a day during the summer at a minimum of $50 is some damn good money in my opinion. The other day she was *****ing cause she only made $800 profit for flagging, dropping off the crew, installing the controller, and doing a walk through with the customer. I wouldn't *****, but then i guess when your used to that profit number being somewhere around 2000 i guess you have a point.

you didn't come across rude...i was just giving you a hard time....

i don't know what old timers were thinking when they installed a sprinkler...i couldn't sweat a whole one in...but I'm sure they cost an arm and a leg...

are you gonna try and replace the diaphragm first? I'm sure you can find them at John Deer Landscapes or Whickham or even longhorn i suppose.

as far as controllers go, i don't care too much for weathermatic, but I'm partial to rainbird stuff. IMO their ESP-MC series is the top of the line commercial controller and the ESP-LX+ is the best "residential" controller on the market. Every Commercial sprinkler installed by Choate gets a ESP-MC regardless of size

and again...if you have any further questions, let me know... :flipoff2:

StevenAg03
06-15-2005, 12:25 AM
my dad can lay pipe better than your dad.

why are you watching either my dad or your dad lay pipe? :rainbow:

jwingfield2k
06-15-2005, 12:37 AM
Hey, I just did a repair job on a 5.5 million dollar house the other day and it had 11 zones I think and it was using the Rainbird ESP LX 12 zone controller (i think 12 zones). I don't like Rainbird at all, I don't like their nozzles much. Of course on my system at the house we divided our lot into 17 zones. Everything is perfected for sun and shade spots, and weathermatic gave us a $3,000 controller, the old SL42, 6 months ago it was the best, now its obsolete. Read up on that weathermatic controller, I would lay down any amount of money that once you used this controller you'd love it. my dad specs it on every job now. His name is John Wingfield Sr, and his company is Cornerstone Irrigation. (self employeed, and hes the only employee). Alot less hassle that way. This new SL1600 SmartLine controller is perfect for commercial jobs as well, weathermatic brought in 1000 irrigation contracts and asked them all "what do you want to see in a controller."
BAM, its amazing, and can install in one second. It depends on what I'm doing that day. I mean I can pull in $2000 a day landscaping with one of my guys helping me, but thats not an everyday thing. But $1000 definately isnt unheard of for sprinkler work. I charged the customer 250 for the controller, (the guys at john deere landscaping gave me 60 bux off so I got it for 160 ttl). SO theres 90 I made and didnt do anything. And then a 100 installation charge and zone config. That took me an hour. SO theres 190 in a little over an hour. Then digging up this valve if need be will definately be a costly job.
Willowbend mall is at Hebron (Park BLVD) and Tollway up in Plano.
And Stonebriar is on 121 and Tollway in Frisco. My dad also does all the McDonalds, and well pretty much designs about everything now. His license is #851, if that tells you how long he's been in the business.

Oh no one really carries Hall O Matic stuff except for Hall Sprinkler anymore. They used to be located off of Forest and Greenville, but they now moved to Seagoville and Mesquite. I' not driving to either place, so if the rubber seal is bad, they're just gonna get a whole new valve.

This is controller can also test the mA to each valve so you can see when wires or solenoids are going bad. This system is 30 years old, and the controller also has a valve locator, where it sends pulses to the solenoid and u can hear a valve buried 2 feet underground completely covered up. No more searching the yard and using the coat hanger or poking screw driving method to find valve boxes. Work at 6am tomorrow, im out.

Steven, do you live in CS or Dallas area?

Sharpe
06-15-2005, 02:03 AM
Sprinklers are boring can we talk about something more entertaining like Frick's spelling?

jerryg79
06-15-2005, 06:32 AM
My dad is an Oil and Gas accountant and he used to count pipe, my step-mom is an accountant too, and I'd like to hit her with a lead pipe.

Tell me about the Sinacolas, Wolverton. That is the company in Frisco that called me about a job. I'm not really interested in working for them since they are in dallas, but all the info I could find on them was on TXDOT's site. Do they do heavy/highway as well as residential?

AgDieseler
06-15-2005, 07:23 AM
Do you see what happens, Larry? Do you see what happens when you **** a stanger in the ass?

StevenAg03
06-15-2005, 08:17 AM
Wingfield you act as if mesquite is a long way from north dallas...also you know that depending on who you are depends on the discount you get from JDL? Im not sure what level you are and you might check into getting it raised for better discounts.

The Sinacolas(formerly known as Sinacola & Son but the dad died so not its just Sinacola) just do commercial construction i believe. i can ask my dad though he would know...he is their personal sprinkler ***** so to speak, and thats a good thing... He said he was at a walk through with them and the superintendant of the job was telling them they were gonna have to repair the concrete where some trucks had driven on it and broken it. My dad said the owner stood up and said [italianmafiavoiceon]I aint fawkin fixin no fawkin concrete. I told that mother fawker to stay off the fawkin concrete...ect...ect[/italianmafiavoiceoff] this is in the middle of a final walkthrough meeting mind you.

my dad had just finished putting in a sprinkler at their headquarters over off of the tollway and 121. Not even a month afterwards they brought one of their trackhoes in and started digging a pond. ripped through all the sprinkler and Putt Choate told my dad to replace it all for free once they were done. Putt makes plenty of money but the sinacolas are such a big client that he wanted them happy.

They are quite the large company...own something like a mile or so of realestate on the tollway from 121 down in frisco.

jerryg79
06-15-2005, 08:27 AM
Wingfield you act as if mesquite is a long way from north dallas...also you know that depending on who you are depends on the discount you get from JDL? Im not sure what level you are and you might check into getting it raised for better discounts.

The Sinacolas(formerly known as Sinacola & Son but the dad died so not its just Sinacola) just do commercial construction i believe. i can ask my dad though he would know...he is their personal sprinkler ***** so to speak, and thats a good thing... He said he was at a walk through with them and the superintendant of the job was telling them they were gonna have to repair the concrete where some trucks had driven on it and broken it. My dad said the owner stood up and said [italianmafiavoiceon]I aint fawkin fixin no fawkin concrete. I told that mother fawker to stay off the fawkin concrete...ect...ect[/italianmafiavoiceoff] this is in the middle of a final walkthrough meeting mind you.

my dad had just finished putting in a sprinkler at their headquarters over off of the tollway and 121. Not even a month afterwards they brought one of their trackhoes in and started digging a pond. ripped through all the sprinkler and Putt Choate told my dad to replace it all for free once they were done. Putt makes plenty of money but the sinacolas are such a big client that he wanted them happy.

They are quite the large company...own something like a mile or so of realestate on the tollway from 121 down in frisco.

I know they do some heavy highway, cause they are on the contractor list for TXDOT, and I saw some article about them doing all the work on some tollway or something. Mario Sinacola & sons?

Oh and I think you have to have a potty mouth to be in construction, cause in the 6 months I've been here, I've heard way worse things said at meetings etc.

StevenAg03
06-15-2005, 08:50 AM
Just got done talking to pops...he says that the Sinacolas are mainly an excavating and concrete company, but they do a lot of large scale commercial projects, IE the Shops of Legacy. Ans you are right, Sinacola does do highway, they arecurrently building the new 121 highway right now. He was asking what type of job you were looking into, he may have some contacts there i dont know...

Wingfield, after speaking with him he said that most of his jobs are from your dad with the others being from Tom something or other. He did do Stonebriar and says that your dads stuff is great cause it works in the field. He also said that he would prefer to work on your dads jobs for this reason.

As far as liscens go, the company my dad used to subcontract for before he went to choate was DFW sprinkler Liscens # in the teens and my great uncle is liscens #20....so your dad aint got **** on people i know... :flipoff2:

Also on the weathermatic stuff...he said that he doesnt prefer it over rainbird because of availability. However, he feels that before long, they will be at the forefront of commercial irrigation controlers for the reasons you mentioned above, remote controling, onboard valve locater, the weatherstations ability to adjust daily watering cycles based on evaperation rate, humidity, and wind, and the ability to shutdown a station if it is flowing too much water at a given time. he told me that the weathermatic rep brought him into ask him about what he wanted to see on a weathermatic controller.

almost forgot...if yopu have any questions regarding sprinklers let me know.. :flipoff2:

jwingfield2k
06-15-2005, 10:56 AM
Haha, I think we both know pretty much everything, so we might as well call it even on this. But thanks for the compliment on my dad, he knows his stuff. My dad pretty much designs everything thats worth anything in North Texas, and misc high-end jobs all over the country. He just works downstairs in the dining room-converted to one person office pullin in 6 figures as he sits there in his underwear playing connect the dots on autocad. his job is so easy its disgusting.
ANYONE CAN DO HIS JOB, but the part that makes him valuable is his insane customer service, and HIS PLANS ACTUALLY WORK IN THE FIELD, unlike all these other dime a dozen hot shots out there charging a buttload for shotty work. I don't mind, cause their half ass work gives me work to do.:)

As I see your dad has been in for a while too, i just asked my dad and his first license number was #238, but he didnt do some paper work and had to redo his licensing down the road. But your dad definately has him beat by a long shot.

That weathermatic SL1600 with smartline weather station will take over the industry, shoot I put another one of those things this morning, thats 150 bucks right there I made in an hour.

Hey, where did you say you lived right now?

jerryg79
06-15-2005, 11:05 AM
Hey, where did you say you lived right now?

And so begins the courtship :rainbow: :flipoff2:

StevenAg03
06-15-2005, 12:04 PM
jerry eat a dick...

the liscens numbers were for the owner of DFW Irrigation that we used to work for and my great uncle...i live in Fort Worthless....

Violentv8toy
06-16-2005, 01:11 AM
sounds like yall got alot in common. Why don't yall do lunch and talk about it?

BMFScout
06-16-2005, 12:39 PM
sounds like yall got alot in common. Why don't yall do lunch and talk about it?

good call! :gigem:

might try this out, maybe someone there will know or care about the heated rainbird/weathermatic debate!
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/water/

That, and my uncle has a pocketknife, but of course you guys already knew that.
;)

jwingfield2k
06-16-2005, 03:32 PM
Just good to talk to another guy whos bankin' the big bucks. Too bad it's about a million degrees outside today, my rates make the heat worth it though. :gigem:

uglyota
06-16-2005, 03:58 PM
aight since you like talking about money so much, care to elucidate on the nuances of sprinkler repairman and/or Christian ethics that allow you to charge $250 for a part that cost you $160?

StevenAg03
06-16-2005, 04:55 PM
its about supply and demand...you can do it yourself if you wanna save money. there ar a couple ways to do it...you can go to Home Depot and get a system designed by rainbird with everything there in the stor for you to buy. only problem is its a ****ty system, ****ty heads, ****ty valves, ****ty controler, scheduel 40 pipe, and they will tell you to put the double check right by the water spicket in the front yard. The problem with scheduel 40 is its not needed after the doublecheck and it restricts flow. the other way is to design it yourself(but if you dont know what your doing it will still suck) and then go to a sprinkler house such as john deere landscapes, longhorn, or whickham and buy the parts. only thing is you wont get service if a irrigator walks in(they will leave you and go to them...there are signs posted inside that say this...after all the home owner isnt where they make their money) and you will pay nearly double what an irrigator pays. youll be hard pressed to buy all the parts for a sprinkler at around 200 a zone. my dad charges 250 and thats cheap. FYI if you ever get a bid on a sprinkler and there is tax tacked on at the end, tell them to go jump in a lake, agricultural services are non-taxable and they probably dont have a tax liscens.

you ask what christan morals allow someone to do this? same ones that allow mechanics to charge you $50/hour to fix something, if you were to go and try to buy that "$160" controller, it would be way more then that....

jerryg79
06-16-2005, 04:58 PM
There's no tax on any service

uglyota
06-16-2005, 04:58 PM
He went to the store specifically to buy that part for that person who was paying him to do that job. If his bill itemized materials I would be pissed if he put $250 when it only cost $160

StevenAg03
06-16-2005, 06:35 PM
an itemized bill wouldn't say 160 - controller, 90 - installation....or maybe it will but if you don't want to pay it, then it can be removed and you can look for someone else to do it

or maybe he is getting paid by a third party...in which case they probably paid for a complete system....the way my dad does it is his bill says $250/zone and everything is included for that price

uglyota
06-16-2005, 06:40 PM
I charged the customer 250 for the controller, (the guys at john deere landscaping gave me 60 bux off so I got it for 160 ttl). SO theres 90 I made and didnt do anything. And then a 100 installation charge and zone config.
I could be wrong, but this looks to me like ****ing a stranger in the @ss

StevenAg03
06-16-2005, 06:43 PM
do be jealous cause your not smart enough to get into irrigation :flipoff2: ...its all like that...when i said my step-mom makes 800 profit in a day...i mean on a bad day...thats with givin the head messcan an extra hundred or hundred fifty...

uglyota
06-16-2005, 06:48 PM
not jealous, I just think there's a right way and a wrong way to do things

wait a second...they got a messkin making a hundred fitty in a day?
I'm gonna have to talk to brandon...
:D

StevenAg03
06-16-2005, 07:49 PM
he makes more then 150...then guys fresh out of the river make 75 and they dont know jack except how to operate a few different shovels...

Violentv8toy
06-16-2005, 09:30 PM
i sold books last summer and one day i made 1200 before 8pm. Who gives a fawk.

uglyota
06-16-2005, 09:54 PM
he makes more then 150...then guys fresh out of the river make 75 and they dont know jack except how to operate a few different shovels...
i've been meaning to ask...where do you put the gas in those things?

jwingfield2k
06-19-2005, 06:58 PM
Eric, contractors get discounts. At the nursery down the street where I buy all my plant material, I get atleast 40% off what the normal consumer would pay. Its called buying wholesale. Theres no way for a contractor to make money unless he buys the parts for cheaper than the consumer, puts a little markup on then, and then charges for labor.

I try to stay away from installing systems, you can definately lose moeny on those, (weather, lazy labor, mechanical stuff).
Also, its dumb to itemize everything in a bill. You bid stuff by the job. You tell the customer you will get one objective done and heres the price.

Example: Say a mechanic quotes someone $500 for a repair job, and his costs are $150 parts. All the sudden he finds a new place he can get parts, or finds some on sale. Is he going to lower the price of his bill to the customer.

On all mulch jobs I tell the customer, "Ok I'll mulch all these beds for $400.00"
Whatever it takes I get em mulched and get my check. ALot of the times theres left over mulch, its already paid for, and I take the extra supplies back home and stack it all on pallets in my backyard. Now next time I have a mulch job, I use material thats already been paid for, and still charge the customer for the mulch (can't give it to them for free.)

Never bid stuff by materials, always bid it by the job. Now I'm finally good enough to not bid incorrectly and lose my shirt on a bunch of things. But 90% of the time I come out perfectly even or with a little extra.

I've done somewhere around $3,000.00 in mulch jobs since spring, alot of it has been extra thats left over from another job. A 2.2 cubic foot of mulch costs me $2.20 and I charge the customer $8.00 for the mulch and installation. Figure out the profit on being able to accurately estimate that much mulch and risk your butt on big jobs and come out on top. There is a high price to pay for risky work. Just gotta be good at it.

Sorry that I've figured out the way business works. And I can tell you this. The last time I worked for someone besides myself was when I was 16 years old. Never again will I have someone tell me what time to be at work and when I can home, and how much I make. I value my mind and my ability much more than someone that wants to meet a bottom-line. Congrats to you Steven for knowing the ropes.

savvyaggie
06-20-2005, 11:00 AM
Eric you need to catch up!!!! I charge alot higher profit percentage than they do (but in a different line of business). That's the only way you'll ever have any bling-bling!!

If they are willing to pay you the amount that you are asking, then what is wrong with it? you are getting what you want and they are getting what they want..

Eric---- are you back in town????

jerryg79
06-20-2005, 11:36 AM
More generic interpretations of the business world please.

robertf03
06-20-2005, 11:49 AM
More generic interpretations of the business world please.

supply and demand, guns and butter, equal opportunity employer, sales quota, HR department, jerry is gay, point of diminishing returns

savvyaggie
06-20-2005, 11:55 AM
Yeah!!!!!

jerryg79
06-20-2005, 12:01 PM
supply and demand, guns and butter, equal opportunity employer, sales quota, HR department, jerry is gay, point of diminishing returns

TINSTAFL!

jwingfield2k
06-20-2005, 01:36 PM
Also Eric, you have to take into account the countless hours I have spent setting up my business, investing in myself, and if not that, atleast running to the supply houses to get parts and get money for atleast that. It's not rocket science.

uglyota
06-20-2005, 02:45 PM
if you charged the customer for the job, then congratulations, you increased your profit margin. You said that you paid $160 for the controller and charged the customer $250.
That is my only issue. If you "charged them" by including that cost in your all-inclusive, out-the-door pricing, then that's fine.
Also, I'm glad that you know how the world works at the ripe old age of what, 20?
now figure out how to build a truck and take your home improvement bs to homeimprovementsforgayfirsttimehomeowners.com forum.
:flipoff2:

ps yeah jordan I'm back (you honked at me the other day)! :beer: ?

savvyaggie
06-20-2005, 03:01 PM
ps yeah jordan I'm back (you honked at me the other day)! :beer: ?[/QUOTE]

I honk at everybody, I must of saw your sexy legs and honked. ;) .... lets go have a :beer: . I am leaving tonight for dallas, but will be back weds. evening.

uglyota
06-20-2005, 03:02 PM
woohoo TAMOR meeting Wed!

BMFScout
06-20-2005, 08:24 PM
f'n A, hey Jordan I am in town too, am I not cool enough to hang out...fawker :)

YEAH!!!!

savvyaggie
06-21-2005, 08:59 PM
f'n A, hey Jordan I am in town too, am I not cool enough to hang out...fawker :)

YEAH!!!!

I know..... ;)

i'm am currently drunk in dallas in a hotel bar, but will be back tomorrow and I will be up for anything!!!!

uglyota
06-21-2005, 09:46 PM
Pollo a las nueve?

BMFScout
06-22-2005, 01:42 PM
no, how 'bout we go to the chicken around 9. I'm helping Brandon with some crap but he hits the sack early being old and all, might be closer to ten for me.

uglyota
06-22-2005, 01:45 PM
没有,我会更喜欢鸡在九

BMFScout
06-22-2005, 03:03 PM
screw you too...:)
I'm out, working at the airport, then adding gear oil to yota tranny for big road trip weekend...

uglyota
06-22-2005, 03:30 PM
How's bout you guys come to my house tomorrow and help me drink Dan's beer :p

savvyaggie
06-22-2005, 07:53 PM
so what's tha plans?????

StevenAg03
06-22-2005, 09:24 PM
how bout we keep this thread on topic guys....i mean come awn...hes "lookinf for a sedaline torch" and we need to find him one :flipoff2:

jwingfield2k
06-22-2005, 09:54 PM
you soooooo funny. Hey Steven, man I gotta show you this new Weathermatic controller. This is insane. I've been at Weathermatic for about 10 hours in the past two days meeting with the President, VP, and 3rd guy in charge (whatever his title is).

Also, I found out why Putt likes Rain Bird so much, and not Weathermatic. Rainbird pays him money to put in their stuff, thats why they have the biggest market share or irrigation products. I dont know if your dad knows that or not, but that Stonebriar and Willowbend were completely spec'ed for all weathermatic parts, but rainbird paid Putt Choate to switch over and use all of rainbirds stuff. Somehow they worked around the whole "kickbacks are illegal aspect I'm guessing." Theres no argueing that fact, because Putt will straight up tell you Rainbird pays him to use their products. We figured out a a way yesterday to give the contractor/customer a warranty for this Smartline stuff, but the catch is that they have to use all the new parts from the Smartline product lineup. Mike Mason, the Weathermatic President put together a 10 year warranty for all jobs that use completely Weathermatic materials, and are designed by my dad. I don't know what the warranty is if the design isnt from my dad, but it's not 10/yrs. Kinda cool eh? Works out for everyone there:) And our products are the same price as Rainbirds, and the availability is the same. We just don't pay contractors off when they use the materials.
Although, Rainbird won't be able to touch a controller and weather station like this for another two years. You need to come to my house in richardson and check this thing out, it'll blow you away. (hows that for keeping the thread on topic)?

TexTJ209
06-22-2005, 10:04 PM
A 6 page thread about high tech plant watering. Right..

aggieblazer07
06-22-2005, 10:12 PM
that paragraph was not worth reading :(

jerryg79
06-22-2005, 10:19 PM
"kickbacks are illegal aspect I'm guessing." Theres no argueing that fact, because Putt will straight up tell you Rainbird pays him to use their products.

Contractors always use who ever is cheapest, that would be the point to the whole bidding process.

How is a kick back illegal on a private job between two private companies? I wouldnt even think it would be illegal between two private companies on a public job. Its when government officials get involved that kickbacks are illegal.

StevenAg03
06-22-2005, 10:26 PM
you soooooo funny. Hey Steven, man I gotta show you this new Weathermatic controller. This is insane. I've been at Weathermatic for about 10 hours in the past two days meeting with the President, VP, and 3rd guy in charge (whatever his title is).

Also, I found out why Putt likes Rain Bird so much, and not Weathermatic. Rainbird pays him money to put in their stuff, thats why they have the biggest market share or irrigation products. I dont know if your dad knows that or not, but that Stonebriar and Willowbend were completely spec'ed for all weathermatic parts, but rainbird paid Putt Choate to switch over and use all of rainbirds stuff. Somehow they worked around the whole "kickbacks are illegal aspect I'm guessing." Theres no argueing that fact, because Putt will straight up tell you Rainbird pays him to use their products. We figured out a a way yesterday to give the contractor/customer a warranty for this Smartline stuff, but the catch is that they have to use all the new parts from the Smartline product lineup. Mike Mason, the Weathermatic President put together a 10 year warranty for all jobs that use completely Weathermatic materials, and are designed by my dad. I don't know what the warranty is if the design isnt from my dad, but it's not 10/yrs. Kinda cool eh? Works out for everyone there:) And our products are the same price as Rainbirds, and the availability is the same. We just don't pay contractors off when they use the materials.
Although, Rainbird won't be able to touch a controller and weather station like this for another two years. You need to come to my house in richardson and check this thing out, it'll blow you away. (hows that for keeping the thread on topic)?

there is a lot of things that Putt does that are out there. He sued home depot because they wouldnt give him credit. doubt he won but still. he has his own check cashing company that comes around on pay days and for a small fee they cash the messcans checks. also he has his own company in mexico that takes care of all the green card BS. The company sends them over here and brings them back every so often only to send them right back to the states.

as far as kickbacks from rainbird, this is true. they often send owners on trips for using their products, and using a lot of them. my dad got a trip to cancun or some mexican place like that. he also said that another reason he is currently pro-rainbird is that weathermatic products just dont sell at the supply houses. he got a controller for a job from john deere and couldnt get it to work. after several days messing with it he called the weathermatic rep out. The rep said it was out of date and should have been pulled from the shelves some time back. they apperently have a shelf life of only so long.... weathermatic simply cant touch rainbird in sales right now. not to say that wont change.

i was talking with my dad this weekend about wethermatic controlers and he sais he likes the weatherstations. told me that they measure a little as 1/100 of an inch of moisture to change the station times so that they only get the required amount of water a week. i also noticed that there were 6 deep cycle batteries sitting in the garage. when i asked him about it he said he has a sprinkler somewhere running off the batteries hooked to an inverter because there is no electric meter at the job yet. said two car batteries last one day

yes a six page thread on hightech watering of plants....thing is you need some technology when you have thousands and thousands of dollars worth of plants that your responsible for. If you install a system and it gets too much water your screwed...too little water and yolur screwed. these plants arent cheap...

uglyota
06-23-2005, 09:27 AM
that paragraph was not worth reading :(
thanks...you can skip ^^ that one as well :D
nearly every company that sells a product has some method of "showing their appreciation" to their biggest customers. Whether it's a week/weekend at a ritzy hunting camp (as forest product companies do for homebuilders that choose their products) or marlin fishing (as my old boss did for his big customers). Like jerry said, it's fine until it gets involved with gov't contracts or you get accused of trying to monopolize.