PDA

View Full Version : dana 60 front help

stx4wheeler
06-14-2005, 11:57 PM
just what it says im trying to get the 60 tore down for its rebuild, and cant figure out how to get the autotrash hub out, i havent ever messed with the auto hubs. from what i can see from manuals i have and common sense that the center part that is splined externally and internally slides over the axle shaft, yet i have tried excessive oiling, and repeated blows with a large rubber mallet, the tip of the seems to have a spot where a locking snap ring would go but there isnt one, and the tip of the shaft mushrooms out a little after the groove for the snap ring some one help me out quick please!!!

spool
06-15-2005, 07:30 AM
Looking at the pic there is still a internal snap ring in the hub body holding the hub in.

mudtoy67
06-15-2005, 07:47 AM
Pic

stx4wheeler
06-15-2005, 09:21 AM
no there isnt a snap ring in there, i have dug around in there and looked at it alot and there isnt a snap ring, i can get the hub almost out enough that it should come free but it seems the center piece that is over the axle shaft, is what is holding it in, but i will look again for a ring when i get home from work.

JB
06-15-2005, 11:14 AM
I think we have talked about this before :flipoff2:

JB
06-15-2005, 11:25 AM
On mine, it ended up that the splines on the shaft were slightly spun, which would not allow the hub to pull back off. I had to order a new stub shaft.

stx4wheeler
06-15-2005, 11:29 AM
i am thinkin this might be the case on mine to john, because i can get the end of the shaft to go inside that center piece, except for like maybe 3/8 of an inch of it.

do you all think that hitting the end of the shaft with a grinder or sandpaper, would work to get it out?

fbronco86
06-15-2005, 04:07 PM
Kevin I am really surprised to see you using pictures. Are you sure there is no snap ring in there sometimes there are really hard to find. Get some carb cleaner and blast it out so you can see better. Did you take the snap ring out already?

Reporting from Wisconsin yippee

Graystroke
06-15-2005, 06:19 PM
I would try an old style brake drum puller for tapered and keyed brake drums. You may be able to get one (rent one) at an autoparts store or a better rental place like U-Rent-It. It attaches onto the wheel studs and is held on w/ the lugs. I has a center screw w/ a titty on it that will fit the end of the shaft. On the center screw is a kind of big wing nut that you knock around. ah **** it I'll go get my camera and snap a pic

Graystroke
06-15-2005, 07:58 PM
here

jerryg79
06-15-2005, 08:10 PM
I think we have talked about this before :flipoff2:

I like John's way better. There's alot higher possibility of personal injury, thus making for better stories to tell the grandkids when you feed them there first beer at 15 :gigem:

plus wouldnt your way be pulling on the spindle nut behind the hub? Or am i confused? Its been a while since i took my bronco apart

Graystroke
06-15-2005, 09:31 PM
is there a nut behind the center sprocket thing? i'm guessing there is now that i think about it. i guess to set bearing preload. if so, then no it won't work. i'm not familiar w/ hubs. i'm just familiar w/ drive flanges. what a pita. i second the tow strap thing. what exactly is the tow strap hooked on?

Shaggy
06-16-2005, 12:05 AM
i have spare stubshafts if you need one... but i think there might be a clip in there... you take it out yet?

william_ace
06-17-2005, 10:50 AM
This is kevin not will

there is supposed to be a clip in the part where bdr used paint to show, and there is supposed to be a clip on the shaft, the one on the shaft is not there and the one on the hub body isnt there either, i am in cs right now put plan of using a sanding wheel or something to take it down a little and hopefully force it off.

how much you want for the stub tate if i **** this one up?

Shaggy
06-17-2005, 04:41 PM
i dont know... we will talk if you need it

stx4wheeler
06-18-2005, 10:54 PM
i got averything torn apart tonight when i got back home, and sure enough one light run withthe grinder around the tip of the stub shaft and then everything pulled out like a hot knife through butter. and man i knew this axle was in bad shape, but i am suprised they were even able to drag the truck into the junk yard i got it from, the gears are totally rusted, all of the bearing on the carrier and pinion, had exploded, the bearing in both hubs had an exterme amount of play, and half of the roller part of the bearings were cracked in half, and under further inspection it seems that the kingpins are ****ed at least on the passenger side. but hey i guess thats what you get when you pay a hundred bucks.

BMFScout
06-19-2005, 12:12 AM
let me know if you need any bearings! :)

stx4wheeler
06-19-2005, 11:27 AM
jimmy do you think i could have you buy them or get me a deal, and then through work ship them to my local purvis for free possibly?

BMFScout
06-19-2005, 01:05 PM
Cash in my hand, I take them home with me works better. I could do that, then ship them to you on my own time. Give me numbers and I will get you prices, might be cheaper still. I pay 10% over cost, has to be cheaper unless you go with brand x bearings, which might be what you want to do, and that is fine.

stx4wheeler
06-19-2005, 10:23 PM
alright ill get the part numbers and call you or send a pm, i got some time to decide on what bearins to use since i am now waitig on steering parts, radius arm wedges and other asorted crap.