PDA

View Full Version : Lots of D60 questions

CRaSHnBuRN
07-01-2005, 03:26 AM
1. Where can you find the inner C's, and knuckles for a ford D60 for a decent price? Other than happening upon them used? I know Dedenbear and crane sell them, but I'm thinking more like oem parts (cheaper). Also, how much would you say the parts from the knuckle out of a Ford D60 are worth (Caliper bracket, caliper, disc, spindle, hub, lockout).

2. Did D60s and 14bolts come with the u-bolt plates that sit on top of the spring from the factory? Or do they all hang under the axle like stock yotas?

3. If a beefed up tierod (1.5 OD) was used in the stock location, would there be enough room to mount a 2.5in hydraulic ram between it and the axle tube? I know I've seen alot of rigs running a 2in ram in that location, but didn't know what the size limit would be. I'm also guessing there may be a difference between Chevy/dodge and ford on this matter, because I hear the fords tie rod sit in closer.

4. How do you tell what size u-joint your yoke uses?

More questions to come as I think of them. I know some of these are kinda dumb, but I'm still new to this domestic stuff. And no, I haven't sold the buggy or the toy axles.

CRaSHnBuRN
07-01-2005, 03:37 AM
More questions.

5. Is there anyplace locally where I may be able to find a used orbital valve for full hydro steering?

AgDieseler
07-01-2005, 07:45 AM
I'll take a stab at a couple of these.

When I built my 60, I got a lot of stuff on eBay. Look for a guy - d60provider - he sells a lot of stuff, and if it's not listed then just contact him directly - he probably has access to it. Chevy knuckles are significantly stronger, and I suggest going with those outers if possible, but if you must have Ford...

U bolt plates were on top. I'm 99% sure that the switch to upside-down came with the 88-98 generation.

You probably have a 1310 yoke, but you can measure the distance between the ears - effectively trying to find out the distance from cap to cap of the u-joint that fits. I think that Tom Wood for some other website has the cap to cap measurements and their Spicer numbers.

Bryan Hose and Gasket has a bunch of stuff. Check there.

AggieTJ2007
07-01-2005, 07:46 AM
check on pirate, there is a great dana 60 info thingy that explains all of this stuff

CRaSHnBuRN
07-01-2005, 08:08 AM
yeah, looked at the pirate thing a few times allready. One place mentions something about stock inner C's being for sale, but later searching of pirate shows those may not be available any more. As for the strength on knuckles, I know chevy are better, but they use 6 bolts to hold the spindle to the knuckle, vs the ford which is 5.

CRaSHnBuRN
07-01-2005, 09:19 AM
Damnit, I want to post pics of what I got a few days ago, but can't load them up

TexTJ209
07-01-2005, 11:06 AM
Did you buy that Ford Dana 60 from Gordon's, or what?

CRaSHnBuRN
07-01-2005, 11:18 AM
Nah, I picked up a couple of D60s from a friend of mine. One is your normal Ford HP D60 with kingpins and 4.10s. The "rear" axle is where it gets wierd. Once again its a HP d60 with 4.10s and a LS. It is also disc braked. But the problem is if it was used in the rear the diff is offset to the driver's side. And the other wierd thing is how the disc brakes were put on. Basically there is a flange welded to the tube with 5 bolt holes. From that flange out it is identical to the front axle. Its like someone took everything from the knuckle out of D60, and bolted it to the flange. Its really odd. If you added some C's, knuckles, and axle shafts, you could have another HP front, except this one would now be a passenger side diff

CRaSHnBuRN
07-01-2005, 11:19 AM
of course I can't use either one, so I'll most likely just sell them. But I may use the money made from them to swap D60s into my buggy, or just upgrade my toy stuff more

TexTJ209
07-01-2005, 11:27 AM
I'm trying to find a Ford 60 for less than the $1k they go on for ebay. No luck yet..you should get a nice chunk of cash from them I would think..

CRaSHnBuRN
07-01-2005, 11:30 AM
yeah, I think I'll be able to sell them for a decent profit

CRaSHnBuRN
07-01-2005, 11:58 AM
oh yeah, the axles came off of a 6x6 version of one of these

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=355327

CRaSHnBuRN
07-03-2005, 07:23 AM
nobody else have anything to say?

Can someone at least give a educated guess to what I could part out and sell the rear axle for. A high pinion housing (with much longer than stock tubes that could easily be cut down to whatever length someone wanted), 4.10s and a limited slip. One set (2 sides) of ford spindles, hubs, caliper brackets, calipers, rotors, drive flanges, and all associated bolts, bearings and seals.

Graystroke
07-03-2005, 09:51 AM
is this the driver drop one or the "weird" pass drop one...I'm confused. Got a pic of the LR axle? how much for that?

CRaSHnBuRN
07-03-2005, 09:55 PM
One axle is a normal steering ford D60 with a driverside diff. The other D60 is a rear axle, with no steering, but is hipinion. Basically its almost identical to the front axle, except instead of knuckles, it has a flange that is used to bolt on the outer parts of a front D60. I know its kinda hard to see, but in that link I posted there are some pics of how it looks.

CRaSHnBuRN
07-04-2005, 07:30 AM
here is a pic to help clear what I'm talking about up a little.

CRaSHnBuRN
07-04-2005, 07:40 AM
The rear is offset the same amount as the front is offset, so if it was put in the back of a vehicle, and ran leafs, you would need 31.5 inches or more between the spring perches. I'd keep it and run it, but that perch width is what kills me because my buggy springs are inboarded a lot in the back.

As for the price on this axle, or the front one, if you're interested, PM a reasonable offer.

CRaSHnBuRN
07-04-2005, 07:51 AM
pics

CRaSHnBuRN
07-04-2005, 08:01 AM
more, also notice the big ass dual CV jionted drive shafts?
(btw the rear axle is upside down, to heavy to flip for the pics)

CRaSHnBuRN
07-04-2005, 08:04 AM
oh yeah, they look rough in the pics, but actually are in pretty good shape. Don't ask me why some one would paint axles white, then black, then red

bburris
07-04-2005, 04:53 PM
Is that front kingpin? Are those some sort of Ford style coil buckets and radius arms on it? PM me with a tenative asking price if you have something in mind...

Shaggy
07-04-2005, 06:59 PM
ill give you 150$ for the front

CRaSHnBuRN
07-04-2005, 11:30 PM
note the "reasonable" part of my post on prices. As for the guys who want to know what I want, I'm gonna go home to where the axles are tommorow and look over them one more time and get some more measurements and confirm some things. Then I'll put them up for sale tommorow night

CRaSHnBuRN
07-04-2005, 11:31 PM
and tate, if I sold it for $150, I'd be taking a $50 loss :D

Shaggy
07-05-2005, 09:45 AM

Sharpe
07-05-2005, 09:55 AM
I'll buy one or both of those driveshafts from you. Can you PM me details like u-joint size, etc.? Thanks