PDA

View Full Version : F-Won-Fiddy

Shaggy
07-14-2005, 07:59 AM
well my f150 is starting to act up... when i accelerate the rear axle makes noise.. it sounded like a broken spring in the drum at first so i went ahead and did a break job... about a year over due... didnt solve the problem which i figured it wouldnt when i noticed there were no broken springs. further looking the rear u-joint on the driveshaft looks pretty bad... i can see that the bottom of the cap is broken.. i have goosed on it quite a bit since it has started making this noise to help it break... but it hasn't... i am gonna replace the u-joint today but i really dont think it could make this noise... if it continues after i change it maby someone wants to go on a ride with me and hear it cause i cant think of what it would be.

StevenAg03
07-14-2005, 08:04 AM
hey tate...my pimpsled(aka the aerostar.. :rolleyes: ) was doing pretty much the same exact thing you are describing....almost sounded as if someone was tapping to pieces of steel together....i thought it was something wrong in the rearend or even worse, the tranny. turns out it was the u-joints...

also the noise wasnt consistant...sometimes it was louder and more noticable then others...

aggieblazer07
07-14-2005, 08:57 AM
my u-joints were making a similar noise a couple weeks ago. i replaced them and haven't had any noises

Doug Krebs
07-14-2005, 09:17 AM
like everyone else said... probably the u-joints. On the blazer one time i thought my detroit had a problem, turns out it was u-joints.

Shaggy
07-14-2005, 10:41 AM
i replaced the rear one on the shaft... it was trashed... missing several bearings... cant believe i never dropped the shaft... the front ujoint felt as though it needed to be replaced but it wasnt that bad... i didnt have a way to get back to the parts store so i just put the driveshaft back in... i might get one later but prob not for a while because this seemed to solve the problem... i think i burnt a 1/4" off my rear tires trying to make it make the noise again :)

Shaggy
07-14-2005, 10:49 AM
oh and my press and the u-joint got into a fight.... needless to say the u-joint kicked my press' ass... ill get a pic up as soon as my girlfriend gets home from class... (note to self 4 foot cheater pipe on jack to press not good idea)

Doug Krebs
07-14-2005, 11:14 AM
be careful with presses... you might end up bending the ears on the yoke instead of pressing out the u-joint. Cut the ***** in half with a torch if you're having that much trouble. I always use a ball peen hammer.

Shaggy
07-14-2005, 12:57 PM
i got it with the torch and a hammer

aggieblazer07
07-15-2005, 11:06 PM
I always use a socket and a sledge hammer to get them out

Shaggy
07-15-2005, 11:37 PM
i did that it wasnt working too well so i thought i would use the press... it didnt work so i used the socket and sledge to finish