PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust studs

uglyota
07-20-2005, 10:28 AM
Metric.
M10x1.5 35mm long, to be exact
what's special about exhaust studs? Are they treated, stronger, or special in any way?
and where can I get some (besides the dealer)?
Can't find them at Jegs, JCWhitney, parts stores, or any of the other places I've tried.
Would 70,000lb stainless studs from McMaster work?

KrazyKarl02
07-20-2005, 06:25 PM
If this is for the ugly, I would say exhaust bolts are the least of your worries..... I suggest you use some JB Weld!

Seriously I do not know any difference in exhaust bolts and normal bolts, put lots of anti-sieze on...

agjohn02
07-20-2005, 06:27 PM
and dont use stainless nuts on stainless threads unless you dont want to ever take them off or tighten them. they gall.

why wont bolts work?

uglyota
07-21-2005, 08:18 AM
Karl I know you're just kidding but there's really not much wrong with the ugly truck, it's more streetworthy than probably half the rigs in this club.
It's practically stock, it just looks funny cuz it's missing the bed.
and my exhaust leak really is the biggest problem it has right now, followed by front shocks, followed by moving the rear shocks. After that it's protection

Re: exhaust studs
Are helicoils stainless?
toys are notorious for having the exhaust studs pull through the threads in the aluminum head. Soon after I got the truck, in my infinite wisdom I decided that header bolts were cooler than studs and made the problem worse. I'm not even sure i used the right thread pitch.
Another friend told me they just make their own at his shop, so I think I'll save some money and get a handfull of grade 8s from John Deere and cut the heads off
I'm going studs so I can torque them more precisely
thanks

Mud King
07-21-2005, 01:57 PM
NAPA has em, dont know if we have a NAPA around here or not though?

aggieblazer07
07-21-2005, 01:58 PM
there is a napa off harvey mitchell by the TSC

uglyota
07-21-2005, 02:06 PM
and another on Texas in Bryan.
They don't have metric

agjohn02
07-21-2005, 05:17 PM
ace bolt and screw on texas in bryan

KrazyKarl02
07-21-2005, 06:12 PM
Karl I know you're just kidding but there's really not much wrong with the ugly truck, it's more streetworthy than probably half the rigs in this club.
Have you seen my truck? I am the absolute last person that should be able to give someone crap (well except for maybe flem), but I still do......

BMFScout
07-21-2005, 09:20 PM
ACE doesn't do studs, just bolts and screws, duh! (no seriously they don't I was dumbfounded) They did have metric bolts though, and i torqued them with a special open/boxed end torque wrench...

uglyota
07-22-2005, 11:28 AM
Have you seen my truck? I am the absolute last person that should be able to give someone crap (well except for maybe flem), but I still do......
yeah...late model f250, right? :flipoff2:

Got 16 grade 10.9 m10x1.5 bolts along with lock washers and nuts for $12. Not bad.

and yes I tried Ace bolt/screw, Mack nut/bolt, the BMW dealer (who should have them but was an @sshole and wouldn't even try to find them for me), the toyota dealer (who went in the back and looked for 5 minutes then came back and told me they didn't have 1.5 thread) and the chevy dealer (who found them spec'd on the 5.3LS but a little too long and over $4 a piece).

jimmay why couldn't you use a regular torque wrench :confused2

agjohn02
07-22-2005, 04:04 PM
jimmay why couldn't you use a regular torque wrench :confused2

im pretty sure he is talking about a combination wrench.

you know goodntight torque specs.

uglyota
07-22-2005, 04:06 PM
wris-torque?