PDA

View Full Version : Compressor Question

8Runner
07-22-2005, 10:38 PM
Ok, so I just got one of these.

http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/154157_lg.jpg

It's a 2HP 90psi continuous duty compressor. Got it still in the box for free from my dad, who is moving. He evidently won this thing golfing and was going to use it to fill up his golf cart tires if he ever got one - that was a year and a half ago :rolleyes: Anyway, I told him I'd buy him one of those wallyworld $29 cigarette lighter jobies that would be much easier for him to move & use if he ever got a golf cart.

Anyway, my question is, is this a halfway decent compressor that I can use for airtools & such? What is the typical PSI airtools run off of? I had been planning on getting one soon since I finally have a garage, so hopefully this one will work.

tigweld
07-23-2005, 12:01 AM
It will probably work for a little while, then cycle for a while. So it takes a while to get anything. would work pretty good for one framing nail gun or really good for a trim gun

Doug Krebs
07-23-2005, 12:33 AM
Like ryan said, they have no reserve. My dad has one pretty much identical to that one he using to remodel our house. I couple uses with the nail gun and it turns on, but it does refill it self very quickly. For light impact use and other tasks it will probably work fine. For sanding or prolonged use it would probably run the whole time.

They are also pretty loud. Too bad you can't return it and buy a bigger one with a cast iron pump.

8Runner
07-23-2005, 08:36 AM
This one supposedly has a cast iron pump. My most liekly use will be an impact, or maybe a grinder at some point. It is a cast iron pump and has a 4.5 gallon tank. Will that run an impact or should I just sell it - I doubt I'll do much nailing :)

AggieTJ2007
07-23-2005, 11:43 AM
it will run any airtool you hook up to it. Impacts and air rachets work the best because you don't run them continually and the compressor has time to refill.

I have a smaller pankake style compressor, and I can run an air drill but I have to take breaks to let the compressor refill.

I would suggest keeping it and using it because it is still small enought that you can move around, and it will let you run air tools

uglyota
07-23-2005, 11:50 AM
Keep it Chris, unless you want a big compressor for your shop. That will make all your truck projects go way faster. I have heard good things about the IR small compressors. It will do everything except sand and sandblast...maybe paint

usmcagg02
07-23-2005, 12:51 PM
let me see if i got this right...you got something for free and you wonder how well it will work? :rolleyes: :flipoff2:

8Runner
07-24-2005, 04:06 PM
YEah, I was deciding whether to sell it & get another. After the last few posts I decided to give it a truy, I bought some mid level air tools - an impact and cut off wheel (Husky brand from Home depot since I had a discount & new credit to burn). Supposedly they are 4CFM avg at 90psi, which this compressor should be able to keep up with.

I gave it a quick try thismorning and the ratchet did ok, it runs it down leaving it on at full bore, but lasts long enough for what I bet will be useful. I doubt the cutoff will work for any big jobs, because it burns it up quick. Brandon said I could put another larger tank between, but I think I'll use it on a few projects and see how it works first.

Oh, and it fills trailer tires just great :gigem:

8Runner
07-24-2005, 04:07 PM
New question, how do you lubricate your tools if you don't have an inline lubricator? Do I even need to worry about it?

Shaggy
07-24-2005, 04:36 PM
drip some oil in the line... it will oil them fine

Graystroke
07-24-2005, 06:26 PM
drip it into the tool

Shaggy
07-24-2005, 07:09 PM
that is what i ment

uglyota
07-24-2005, 10:23 PM
yup squeeze the trigger of the tool and drizzle a tsp of oil in the first use, less each subsequent time, more if you're trying to get more 'umph' out of your impact. Wrap a rag around the exhaust and run it for a few secs to get the excess out. You don't need an inline oiler, but an inline dryer is good for your tools and essential if you use it for painting