PDA

View Full Version : College Station Inspections

Texas2Wheeler
07-23-2005, 10:22 AM
If you're running straight pipes on your truck will it still pass inspection in College Station since they don't have emissions testing?

jerryg79
07-23-2005, 10:34 AM
I wouldnt think so, it still has to have a muffler i believe

StevenAg03
07-23-2005, 11:36 AM
it wont pass in College Station...but if you go to Dixie Tire Co. in Bryan, it will pass no problem...search the boards newb there is a thread on this.. :flipoff2:

jerryg79
07-23-2005, 11:46 AM
it wont pass in College Station...but if you go to Dixie Tire Co. in Bryan, it will pass no problem...search the boards newb there is a thread on this.. :flipoff2:

Someone said on here the other day that Dixie Tire doesnt do inspections anymore......maybe you need to search :flipoff2:

Jackasic
07-23-2005, 01:33 PM
they don't, there is a new inspector Nazi for the county and they decided it wasn't worth the hassel. Quite a few places quite, rather than deal with him.

JB
07-23-2005, 01:35 PM
The new guy is a dick. I would have passed it when I still worked where I did. You can try Quicker Sticker behind Napa. I heard they pass anytyhing, but I not sure now.

StevenAg03
07-23-2005, 01:44 PM
dont even think about quicker sticker...they failed me because my wiper blades werent good enough for them... :rolleyes:

Violentv8toy
07-23-2005, 03:18 PM
i work at kwik kar on rock prarie and from the overall feeling about inspections around college station, good luck. Even if you're diesel and straight pipe, we won't pass. If your wipers aren't good enough, you won't pass. also, the kicker is that if you live somewhere other than college station, they will tell you to get it inspected in your own county in which the vehicle is registered.

RCcola55
07-23-2005, 05:05 PM
i work at kwik kar on rock prarie and from the overall feeling about inspections around college station, good luck. Even if you're diesel and straight pipe, we won't pass. If your wipers aren't good enough, you won't pass. also, the kicker is that if you live somewhere other than college station, they will tell you to get it inspected in your own county in which the vehicle is registered.

when did u start working there, i guess there goes my old job

and yes u have to have a muffler and even a cat in a non emissions county, it doesnt have to work though, and u can get it inspected if its registered somewhere other then bryan county, u just have to sign a waiver

TexTJ209
07-23-2005, 05:09 PM
dont even think about quicker sticker...they failed me because my wiper blades werent good enough for them... :rolleyes:

I went to quicker sticker a few months ago..they didn't even open the hood, or check my wipers. I was out in under 5 minutes.

Violentv8toy
07-23-2005, 07:04 PM
started working there the 5th of july.

Texas2Wheeler
07-23-2005, 10:56 PM
Would they look under the truck for a cutout?

Oh and the 06 registration sticker has your county of residence on it, since mine says Tarrant does that mean that they will reject me no matter what and tell me to go back to Tarrant?...If that's the case, I guess cutouts are out of the question too.

StevenAg03
07-24-2005, 12:18 AM
being that its a college town they will let you inspect it there...otherwise you should go to your county of residence...

uglyota
07-24-2005, 10:55 PM
They have to inspect it...your vehicle is supposed to be inspected in the county in which it sees the most use (it's just convenient that Brazos doesn't require emissions)
glad I got mine before you left John...thanks again

mark
07-26-2005, 03:23 PM
So I don’t even want to hear you guys complain. I just spent three hours of my life getting my CJ inspected up here in Northern Virginia (NOVA)

The safety inspection is a joke as we all know how unsafe a 20 year old CJ is. But mine passed anyway. They look for things like body lifts, but completely ignore the fact that my Jeep exceeds the bumper height limit by about a foot. They are supposed to check the condition of the brakes. Disks are easy, but rear drums are much more of an issue. The technician briefly considered removing one of my rear tires but decided he didn’t want the challenge. So he asked me if they were OK. Of course they are.

The emission test is a pita. Norm wouldn’t fit on the rollers at one place and I had to go to another. No one knows anything about CARB exemptions, which hurts my cause. But it passed with flying colors.

All that and it costs $48.

I wish Dixie tire would open an Arlington, VA location.

-Mark

robertf03
07-26-2005, 03:36 PM
Mark I dont know if you have had to get an inspection in DFW or Houston in the past 3 or 4 years, but that sounds the same

uglyota
07-26-2005, 03:41 PM
I used to like getting emissions tested because I came out of it knowing that everything was running right. Ugly truck's first inspection showed Hydrocarbons 100x the limit, a new O2 sensor got it well below

Shaggy
07-26-2005, 04:21 PM
last time i saw norm he was on 33"s how big is he now

Chadnutz
07-26-2005, 04:29 PM
I lost the cat somewhere down the line and have passed inspection twice since then. I do have a muffler though.

usmcagg02
07-26-2005, 06:21 PM
So I don’t even want to hear you guys complain. I just spent three hours of my life getting my CJ inspected up here in Northern Virginia (NOVA)
-Mark

where do you live? i'm in quantico, but i dont know of anywhere to wheel around here

BeachJeepin
07-26-2005, 09:51 PM
of all the Mexican shops down here I go to the one that didn't pass my TJ because I have those rock gaurds in front of my headlights. Dam things don't make a difference. HE made me take them off right in front of him, He inspected it, and I put them right back on, again right in front of him..... What's the point?

Better than Minnesota where they won't pass you if your fender flares are wider than 3". Rubicon owners are pissed because their stock fenders are like 4".

mark
07-27-2005, 09:45 AM
last time i saw norm he was on 33"s how big is he now

He's on 35's. It about as big as I can go and keep it inspected and somewhat street legal. The big gottcha's here are tire coverage, window stickers and bumper height. The inspection folks generally don't mess with you on any of it unless it’s out of hand. But the cops occasionally use any of the above as an excuse to write tickets.

I want to keep Norm street legal. That has been the biggest factor in stopping me from seriously molesting the Jeep.

As it is now, Norm doesn't look too illegal. I took the body lift out when I added the 35's so he's about the same height. I have kept backspacing close to stock so the tires are 99% covered by the sock flares. But the silver steel wheels and an overall lack of decals and lights keep him from screaming "pull me over."

Tire coverage with a max of 3" fender flares is the limit in PA where we do most of our wheeling. We just need tire coverage here in VA. So most of the street legal TJ's in our club have 6" flares.

The inspectors run scared of the VA Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ aka. smog Nazis). If they pass a polluter, it is big fines and prison time for repeat offenders. They don't screw around with the smog tests. No one really cares much about the rest of it.

-Mark

Texas2Wheeler
07-28-2005, 09:56 AM
Alright, I was thnking about going cutouts, but it sounds like it's really not worth the trouble. Guess I'll just save the money so one day I can actually buy a 4x4.

Fredo
07-28-2005, 10:25 AM
wha?! Norm is on 35s? No more Bridgestone Duelers?!?! Say it ain't so Mark! I thought those tires would never die.

I like our inspections....nice and painless. In fact, my car ran just as clean as the eclipse that was on the rollers in front of me. For some reason my inspection cost $60 though, and I was asked to pay in cash.....weird.

StevenAg03
07-28-2005, 10:27 AM
wha?! Norm is on 35s? No more Bridgestone Duelers?!?! Say it ain't so Mark! I thought those tires would never die.

I like our inspections....nice and painless. In fact, my car ran just as clean as the eclipse that was on the rollers in front of me. For some reason my inspection cost $60 though, and I was asked to pay in cash.....weird.

:laughing: :laughing: ROFLMFAO....been there done that... :laughing: :laughing:

mark
07-28-2005, 11:48 AM

Troy's Thornbirds and Gregs American Racing wheels will never die.

-Mark