PDA

View Full Version : Wrenchin Saturday

uglyota
08-05-2005, 04:41 PM
Eric & I are going to be working on replacing my knuckle and converting to Hi-steer at my place on Saturday if anybody wants to join the fun.We'll be @ my house, probably starting mid-morning (the earlier the better because of the heat - me thinks).

7701 Gettysburg in Raintree (other side of 6 on SW Parkway)
9:30 or so...

8Runner
08-05-2005, 05:19 PM
Sounds good. Others are welcome to come by too. I have plenty of driveway space & mediocre air tools if you have some minor work to do on your own rig.

CRaSHnBuRN
08-06-2005, 12:09 AM
I'll try to get by with that pitman arm adapter. If I'm not there by ten or so, have eric call me. Would you or eric have one of those fork things you use to get TREs off?

Graystroke
08-06-2005, 12:21 AM
which house do ya'll live in? I had some friends that rented the one on the corner years ago.

8Runner
08-06-2005, 08:45 AM
Not sure what TRE's even are so I doubt I have one. We'll be here most of the day, so come on by.

We're at the end of the cul'de'sac, but it's a short street.

JeepPhisherman
08-06-2005, 10:10 AM
tre= tie-rod end

8Runner
08-06-2005, 10:26 AM
It deosn't much matter. Eric still sleeping I think, & I don't know what the hell I am doing!

CRaSHnBuRN
08-06-2005, 11:50 PM
so how did it go? Remember this about rebuilding toy axles. The first one is always a *****, and all the ones after that pretty much suck as well :flipoff2: Those things are some greasy pigs aren't they? Sorry I couldn't stick around and help, or at least yell instructions, but I was dead this morning. Its a ***** getting back into the graveyard shift after having a few weeks off. Did eric ever show up? And who ended up with my socket BTW?

8Runner
08-07-2005, 01:21 AM
It went alright. We got 1 knuckle on and are planning on finishing tomorrow. It definitely was a greasy mess - I learned a ton though about how all this crap works though (and also understand more about why it's so to f*!k up on the trail). Eric did show up, though not until after doing his good deed for a day. Evidently he resucued some biker that broke a spoke. I personally think that is code for "I was too hung over to reach my phone", as was hinted by the fact he was still yakking when he got here... :flipoff2:

Regardless, thanks a bunch, eric for helping out with this.

Chris, I still ahve your socket, we didn't end up needing it since we took the whole knuckles apart. I'll get it back to you, with your $$ via Eric.

uglyota
08-08-2005, 09:23 AM
well, when those of us who drink on a third grade level try to play with the big kids...

okay Busa, Scott, Chris, anybody, we had to beat on the birf with a deadblow hammer to get it in the ball, and the outside of the bell scrapes the inside of the ball quite a bit just turning. I think the ball's bent.

Also, with the hy-steer on, axle moved forward, and steering box in the stock location with a bling bling radiator preventing it from being moved forward, the TR and DL cross. Moving the axle back an inch might work, but would probably put the tires in the firewall, does anybody carry a shorter pitman arm?

Oh yesh good times! Not doing mine until I have a parts washer handy...

Shaggy
08-08-2005, 09:08 PM
i have a partswasher... but it wont be handy till my house stuff is out of storage

CRaSHnBuRN
08-09-2005, 05:42 AM
I use lots of carb cleaner, and only rebuild them with good grease, not that horrible black **** they come with. You also don't need to pack the knuckles with grease, just use enough on the correct parts. Then rebuild them form time to time, and you won't have as big as mess. Rebuilding a axle that never has been done before gross, cause normally the seals are bad and its a mix of black grease, dirt, skunky water, and old gear oil. As for the pitman arm, check with ott, like I said in the pm. They claim thiers allows you to move the axle forward 3.5 inches, which hopefully should get it done. If they don't answer, and they won't, go to inchworm gear, which handles ott stuff and is much easier to reach. Has he thought about a different steering box, one with a forward facing pitman arm? FJ60, scout, etc? As for the birf, since its a longfield, call bobby and discuss the problems.

uglyota
08-09-2005, 09:39 AM
Hey Ugly's axle has 220,000 miles on the original build. None of this "rebuild it frequently" stuff. I'm gonna rebuild it once with longs and lockah and if I outgrow that stuff I'll move on to something else.