PDA

View Full Version : The CheapJeep

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

CheapJeep
01-15-2006, 02:27 PM
Finished switching the lines and that was it. Took it for a spin and it steers muy bueno'. Painted some of the cage too, just flat black for now to cover up the welds and prevent rust. Painted the gas tank skid too.

eight
01-15-2006, 07:45 PM
Well, seems I can't find my power steering pump brackets, or don't know what they look like. Maybe if you can find me a picture and send it to me tonight I can still get it tomorrow mornin early before I leave. I did find stuff like a york mount, and just about anything you could want for a 258. I even have tuned headers that'll make people think you have a V8, especially when you have skinny pedal on the floor pointed up a hill.

CheapJeep
01-15-2006, 07:51 PM
I don't need it now, I finally got the p.s. working with the Rolls pump. Thanks for the help though.

CheapJeep
01-15-2006, 11:52 PM
What is this the for sale forum??? My dad just got home so I took him for a spin. He dug the hell out of it. :beer:

CheapJeep
01-17-2006, 10:35 PM
How much for it and the short side shaft? I need the shaft for sure and I could use the pump as well if the rolls thing doesn't work so well on the trail. Thanks for all the help. :gigem:

AggieTJ2007
01-17-2006, 11:49 PM
well it would be about $50-60 for the pump and the shaft. However, I am not sure about dodge axles. It has the funny arm on the driverside and the link, but no studs on the passengerside. Is this the right axle?

CheapJeep
01-18-2006, 12:52 AM
It should be flat top both sides with the knuckles tapped. Is it an 81 or around that year? I didn't think it mattered as long as it was a dodge d44 passenger side drop?
Do you have a pulley puller? I have a cheby pump that was left at Bill's that I could go back and get. All I would need would be the pulley.

J Cooper
01-18-2006, 01:11 AM
I
Do you have a pulley puller?

go to oreilys or advanced and do it there on the table

TMatheaus
01-18-2006, 10:19 AM
when we changed cooks p/s pump, we used the pully puller at advanced, most parts stores usually will have one that they will let you use while you are there at the store

CheapJeep
01-18-2006, 12:58 PM
If he had a puller he could just get me the pulley instead of the whole pump which would save some money. If not I'll just see if I can find the reciept for the pump I left at Bill's and return it, though it was over 2 months ago when it was bought.

CheapJeep
01-18-2006, 12:59 PM
BTW- Sent the guy a pm regarding the shaft, we'll see what he says.

stx4wheeler
01-18-2006, 02:32 PM
so why is the pump at bills if you paid for it, didnt plan on using it, why didnt you jsut take it back, or with you, think man it will save you lots of driving to h-town to take back or get a 30 dollar pump. jsut trying to help you out man

BMFScout
01-18-2006, 02:44 PM
so why is the pump at bills if you paid for it, didnt plan on using it, why didnt you jsut take it back, or with you, think man it will save you lots of driving to h-town to take back or get a 30 dollar pump. jsut trying to help you out man

heres, somehting that, could help?

sasquatch
01-18-2006, 03:51 PM

CheapJeep
01-18-2006, 04:30 PM
Bwahahaha. :laughing: I had planned on using it. I just forgot to take it back whenever I picked up the Jeep. I have to go home to Conroe to get the Jeep sometime this week so going down to Houston isn't a big deal, not to mention my dad's office is only a couple blocks over from Bill's shop, so I can get a free lunch and see him. :gigem:

CheapJeep
01-18-2006, 04:42 PM
BTW- I don't know what day this week or weekend, probably friday afternoon, but if anyone wants to ride down with me to get my pile they're welcome to. I can insure free food. :haha:

stx4wheeler
01-18-2006, 07:15 PM
thanks jimmy that girl that is turning around is smmmmoooking hot!!! i ain't got nun of them classs thingies i can maybe goo.

sasquatch
01-18-2006, 07:16 PM
i get out of class at 12:20. i could lend a hand

CheapJeep
01-21-2006, 11:36 PM
Well Coop and I went and got my pile last night, so it's now here. The 218 crew has been extremely generous and allowed me to work on my junk there as well as lend a hand. Still need to get a couple fittings for the steel braided lines, but we did get new hardlines bent and in.

I just talked to Mark about the shaft and he explained that he bought the axle used and didn't know about it, he did tell me that he had replaced the long side many times due to running 40"s on it, but the short side never broke. But he IS getting me a new shortside for free since it was his deal. So all is well. He'll be at Katemcy the same weekend so I'll finally get to wheel with him.

stx4wheeler
01-21-2006, 11:49 PM
sweetness about the shaft man, now you can use the broken one as a spare to get off the trail if it breaks.

CheapJeep
01-23-2006, 09:24 PM
Installed new ignition today and got all the water out of the seats.

CheapJeep
01-25-2006, 08:24 PM
Coop, C.J., and I went to Eaker(sp?) Performance today and I picked up a removable steering wheel conversion and a nice Grant wheel. Mucho's Gracias to Coop for bolting the wheel to the bracket while I was running around town.

CheapJeep
01-25-2006, 11:43 PM
Some of you might have seen the shasta stuff on my pile at the meeting so I'll clarify what still needs to be done before Katemcy.
Tomorrow-
Get the rest of the brake fittings needed to run my steel braided lines
Run/flare new steel lines
Still waiting on-
Seat covers
Get the shortside shaft from guy
U-bolt pinion for 44

CheapJeep
01-26-2006, 12:11 AM
Bwhahaha, there's really no way of getting out of that one. I've always known that the button on the floorboard to the left of the clutch is the high beam switch. But I thought that Cook and other's with older vehicle's with aftermarket steering wheel's mounted them by the high beam switch and such? I guess I was wrong. Either way I'll be finding a mounting spot on the column with a button switch like Cooks.

sasquatch
01-26-2006, 12:31 AM
my steering wheel is stock. all the shat in the middle of it is gone and the yayhoos who had the truck before me put a button on the piller

CheapJeep
01-26-2006, 12:38 AM
Ah I see. Well whenever I bought the heap it came with that piece-o-wheel that's sitting in my box of parts. Needless to say there was no horn...nada.
I'll just rig it up like your's except for on the column. That's how I've wired up the trail feeders on our Rangers.

TMatheaus
01-26-2006, 01:27 AM
my steering wheel is stock. all the shat in the middle of it is gone and the yayhoos who had the truck before me put a button on the piller
that button was already on the pillar when we got the truck :flipoff2:

stx4wheeler
01-26-2006, 01:19 PM
robbie dont forget your mis alignment washers, and or saftey washers from eaker today if they have them. There you go, there is your reminder you asked for :flipoff2: .

CheapJeep
01-26-2006, 05:15 PM
Your a little late. I was at eaker around 9 am this morning after bowling.

Just got back from Shop 218 and finished up the rear steel braided brake lines. I still need to bleed the rear but I'll wait til' someone's there to pump the brakes cuz my one man bleeder blows.

texasxj
01-26-2006, 05:28 PM
yes i get to pump robbie

's brakes

CheapJeep
01-26-2006, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the help fag.

CheapJeep
01-30-2006, 12:25 AM
Ordering new H.D. u-bolt style pinion yoke from Randy's Ring and Pinion tomorrow.
I still need to find the time to pull the shortside shaft for measurements. :rolleyes:

CheapJeep
01-31-2006, 12:05 AM
No, you can't get the nut's on the back side without hitting on the old yoke.

From what I've learned 80-93 shafts will work, as well as the 3/4 ton d44. Talked to the guy today and hopefully he'll bring it anyway.

I successfully made an ass of myself while demonstrating my lack of painting skills today. Got the cage, btf kit, etc.. half assed painted red. It'll need some touch up. Tomorrow I'll tape off everything for the flat black and maybe start painting the body but most likely it'll be wednesday.

Thanks for the ratty shirt Frick, I got some looks at the gas station earlier tonight, NO FEAR. Also I really appreciate your tire services the other day, blowout's suck.

stx4wheeler
01-31-2006, 01:16 AM
now coop needs to post the monkeyfawkingafootball pics i took of robbie and clayton trying to paint..

sasquatch
01-31-2006, 01:17 AM
wait til you see my hood

CheapJeep
01-31-2006, 10:04 PM
Touched up the cage a bit. I'll end up taking the seats out and doing it all the way after Katemcy, but I need something on there for now to keep rust away. I also covered the cage and etc... with a little help from Frick and laid some paint on the body. I only have the grill, hood, and front fenders left to do tomorrow. Frick advised that I lay another coat down which I'll do as well.

CheapJeep
02-07-2006, 12:23 AM
Ordering new pinion yoke and maybe some chromo shafts for the front this week. Surprisingly my RobbieFab welding held up and kept the u-joint in but I'm not going to push my luck. Oh, and I had to eat my own words....that welded inner shaft DID break not even 100yds. into Waterfalls. Mark's supposed to be sending me a new one.
Also, I had to eat my own words on the hp p.s. line. I'll be getting it press fit this week. I'm an IDIOT...there I said it.
Hopefully I'll be able to get the chromo shafts for the rear from Ryan and get the fronts ordered too. Not much of a cheapjeep anymore...
I really learned alot from this trip and what I need, I will also be getting a highlift, steal my dad's Warn m12000, onboard air, and a spare. I think that covers what I need?
After that I'll be picking out a c.b. setup I was "given" at Christmas and some sort of head unit/speakers. Make the dash a nice place.

I ended up having plenty of room for my cooler, tool box, spare driveshaft, hubs, fluids, etc... in the back for the trip, I was surprised I actually fit it all in there.

AggieTJ2007
02-07-2006, 12:25 AM
sounds good

AggieTJ2007
02-07-2006, 12:25 AM
pictures *****

CheapJeep
02-07-2006, 12:27 AM
**** resizing, I can't get it to work...
Enjoy
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/blink05/Katemcy1005.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/blink05/Katemcy1006.jpg

TxCruzr
02-07-2006, 12:58 AM
looks like a wallyworld crawler :gigem:

eight
02-07-2006, 08:12 AM
Hopefully I'll be able to get the chromo shafts for the rear from Ryan and get the fronts ordered too. Not much of a cheapjeep anymore...
I really learned alot from this trip and what I need, I will also be getting a highlift, steal my dad's Warn m12000, onboard air, and a spare. I think that covers what I need?
After that I'll be picking out a c.b. setup I was "given" at Christmas and some sort of head unit/speakers. Make the dash a nice place.

And do a springunder.

CheapJeep
02-07-2006, 10:54 AM
And do a springunder.
FAH Q Kopecki!

CheapJeep
03-04-2006, 01:52 AM
Starting to get things together for TCC. I still need to get that shortside inner shaft measurement for the guy. I'd like to go chromo all the way around but we'll see how much skrilla it's going to take. I'll probably take it home and do some work on it before the spring break trip to Port A. While I have it there I'll "borrow" the m12000 and set it up, lower the rear end, take out the shims and move the perches, get a u-bolt pinion yoke for the front, high pressure p.s. line, powertank air, and a highlift. I need to decide on a C.B. setup but not too sure where to start. :confused:

DRAGOONRANCH
03-04-2006, 05:06 AM
you just can't go wrong with a cobra 25 and a 24" firestick. that will be all you need for the trails, but you can jump up and put a little mo' "skrilla" in to it and get a 29WXNV (thats a 29 with noah weather and a blingin green backlite for night wheelin). And if you just want to go super redneck, get a texas star linear (one about 800 watts or more) so you can #### up everyones cellphone and crappy stereo systems. :cheers:

AggieTJ2007
03-04-2006, 08:55 AM
I am going with a 29wxnv, cause my 29ltd crapped out on me. I could get it fixed but it would cost more than I payed for it.

CheapJeep
03-09-2006, 10:46 PM
Well I brought the jeep back with me today so I can do some wrenchin' on it over spring break when I'm not down with the group in Port A. I'll start work tomorrow and see what I can get done by Saturday. I'm pretty sure I'm just going to get chromoly shafts for the front and be done with it. Anybody know who has the best deals and ships out fast for chromoly shafts?

I'm probably going to get the h.p. line made and fab a bracket for the winch tomorrow. Maybe go shopping at 4wheel parts....we'll see.

eight
03-10-2006, 12:27 AM
Yukons are the lowest price and are probably 98% as good as warns. You may have a hard time getting them fast because yours is not really a common axle. If you're going with the shafts you might as well get the good joints too. I don't see any point in upgrading shafts and using stock joints when I was able to break plenty of stock u-joints with stock shafts.

CheapJeep
03-10-2006, 12:48 AM
Ryan, let me know when I can get those chromo rears from you.

Who are some chromo shaft dealers for yukon and alloy on the web? because I know you can give them the measurements and they'll cut the shaft's for you. I would get upgraded u-joints if I got chromoly's anyway, I can't remember how much ctm's run though.

As far as the steering goes, the original line wasn't really intended for high pressure use, plus using hose clamps wasn't the brightest idea I've ever had. It worked fine in 2wd but as soon as I put it in 4wd (or should I say 3 because the shaft broke right after...) the line formed "tumors" and blew off. I'm going to take all the fittings and have a line press fit or whatever. I talked to Fred and Kopecki awhile back about getting the stock bracket and all but they don't really carry anything before 76 and there's a difference that keeps them from being interchangeable.

But if someone finds me a bracket that'll fit my early model block I'll do it. I've already been junkyard diving looking for one around here and found nothing. I do have a saginaw pump that I think was left over at Bill's that I guess I should pick up...I hope that ****'s still there. You think I got joo'd on that one...saginaw for a rolls royce??? hmm? :confused:

Sharpe
03-10-2006, 01:33 AM
Well even if the bracket off a later model straigh six doesnt fit perfectly there is a little thing called welding we can do to make it fit. You know the same thing they did with the RR pump but this time with a practical purpose. For the shafts, I think Warn has decent priced ones. Honestly, I'd get a stock one that isnt fubar'd and run it and then if it breaks, you know you need chromo's. No sense in wasting the money if you dont need to.

Sharpe
03-10-2006, 04:04 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JEEP-CJ-YJ-6CYL-POWER-STEERING-PUMP-W-BRACKET-1976-90_W0QQitemZ8045125981QQcategoryZ33588QQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-Power-Steering-Pump-C-J-Series_W0QQitemZ8045401801QQcategoryZ33732QQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem

And if you really want to be cool and install on board air too,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-AMC-V8-York-AC-Compressor-and-Brackets-A-C-304-360_W0QQitemZ8044274169QQcategoryZ46098QQssPageNam eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Edit: nevermind the york brackets are for a V8. See since my jeep has a V8 I keep assuming everybody else's does too.

CheapJeep
03-10-2006, 09:18 PM
Sweet. I got the two tires that were leaking out at Katemcy fixed and spent the rest of the day buying a new saddle and successfuly cutting my left index finger almost completely off.

I did however finally make new brackets for my cattle guard on my truck and fixed everything on it. Now I don't have to worry about hitting **** anymore, the new brackets are beef. Damnit I can't ****ing type with this thing wrapped up...
Drill Press=1
Finger=0
Going to 4wheelparts tomorrow to get a couple things.

CheapJeep
03-11-2006, 03:01 AM
The shaft Mark owes me will be here monday. I want to save money and get a couple other things before I go off and buy chromo shafts just yet.

BTW- I pulled off the bandage over my finger and got to see just exactly what happened. Basically the bracket I made and the vice sliced through the tip of my finger and took part of the nail with it. Now I have this skin/partial nail barely hanging on my finger... :gigem:

CheapJeep
03-11-2006, 04:02 PM
Unfortunately I wasn't wearing my Mechanix gloves I bought awhile back...lesson learned.

I went to 4wp. today and bought a highlift and some new lights for my truck. I was so close to buying a Powertank but I just couldn't shell out the 450 for the whole package. We'll see though...

I'm running stock u-joints right now with the excpetion of "uber duber" tom wood's extreme duty ones on the rear driveshaft. I'm going to do like Robert said and just wait and see how it does at TCC before I go off and spend money on chromo's and ctm's.

uglyota
03-11-2006, 04:44 PM
Talk to Brandon about cutting fingers "almost completely off"

AggieTJ2007
03-11-2006, 09:43 PM
it would have been worse if you are wearing gloves. Drill press and gloves don't go togethere very well.

Sharpe
03-12-2006, 12:17 AM
Yah I dont see how 1/16" of soft leather is going to slow a drill bit down. I can deffinately see it making it worse by tangling the glove and the shreds of your finger though. I only wear gloves when its cold, but then again I'm not as dumb as you.

CheapJeep
03-12-2006, 03:04 AM
deffinately, but then again I'm not as dumb as you.
At least I'm not illiterate.

agjohn02
03-12-2006, 06:34 PM
maybe your next investment should be some gloves :flipoff2:

very bad advice

CheapJeep
03-17-2006, 09:27 PM
Today I finally got a real h.p. powersteering line made. This time no hose clamps *****es...
I also lowered the Jeep 3" and evened it out so it doesn't sit lower in the front anymore. I tore apart the hub/rotor/knuckle and pulled the broken shaft out. I can't believe someone would actually weld a shaft together, not too mention I still haven't gotten the replacement so in order for me to make Katemcy I need to find one fast.

texasxj
03-17-2006, 09:34 PM
how did you lower it? different shackles?

CheapJeep
03-17-2006, 11:24 PM
Bags.... :flipoff2: Just moved the holes in the shackles.

I forgot to mention I spent a little time junkyarding a couple places today. No luck on the shaft, but I did find an old 4runner and a couple waggy's. None of the places had any front axles sitting around like Gordon's does so that kind of sucks but oh well.

Edit- Feller, I did find a couple shops that specialize in the hydraulic stuff.

CheapJeep
03-20-2006, 06:21 PM
Well I ordered a new inner and stub shaft plus u-joint. I actually called polyperformance and was about to order superior shafts for the front....until he told me the price. Even I'm too much of a joo to spend $400 on 2 CTM's and a total of $810 for 2 stubs, and the inner's...fawk that :eek: . So I just called Houston Drivetrain and they're ordering what I needed. It'll be waiting on me in Conroe when I get home later this week. :gigem:

CheapJeep
03-22-2006, 06:50 PM
I've had a few ideas that I've kind of been keeping to myself for awhile now as to where I want to go with my project next. Here's the list that I've come up with and pics of similar rigs
-Switch to reversed Yota springs up front
-Boatside
-Flatskid
-Stretch the frame in the rear
-Stretch the body (still thinking about this one)
-twin stick the 20 and add tera low gears
-etc...
Pics-
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/blink05/almost1a.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/blink05/sideview_050900.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/blink05/pyro1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/blink05/adsf.jpg

Something along the lines of these. There's another pic of a 72 that I'm still looking for but I might've lost it.

CheapJeep
03-23-2006, 12:31 AM
We'll see how it does this time at Katemcy, but I've been planning on doing some tube work and boatside kind of like Scott's Patrol. As far as stretching it more, I need to find out how it feels now that it's lower. Last time, there were a couple of spots in which it felt a little too tall. Tubing would consist of sliders, stinger which would tie into tube fenders, etc...

As far as the drivetrain goes, I might have a little something in the works, but I'm not positive yet. We'll see....

CheapJeep
03-23-2006, 01:41 AM
It keeps all the fat girls out. :gigem:

Sharpe
03-23-2006, 02:36 AM
It keeps all the fat girls out. :gigem:
Finaly a legitimate excuse!

CheapJeep
03-23-2006, 06:22 PM
Shaft came in. Going back to conroe tomorrow to go put everything back together if anyone wants to help.

uglyota
03-24-2006, 10:38 AM
I think the short side on yota rears is still 22"
ha! I didn't suggest using yota springs...I just gave you their dimensions!
are we really at 26 pages already? Chadwell?
:flipoff2:

CheapJeep
05-16-2006, 08:12 PM
Today I started messing with the Jeep again now that I have room to work on it. Mainly just changed the fluids and picked up a york compressor. I'm buying some 8* shims for the front in the next day or so to fix the pinon angle and other issues. I also need to find a shim for in between the flat top and steering arm, any suggestions as to where I can find one?

Another thing is that I'm about to start gathering parts to make my trac bars for the rear to help fix the axle wrap problem.

I also got a saginaw p/s pump, headers, and spare water and fuel pump's from the Pollock...speaking of which I still need to find him to give him his keystone.

Basically I'm just trying to get everything working correctly and driving well, so I can start on my dash and other projects I have lined up.

agjohn02
05-16-2006, 08:33 PM
I also need to find a shim for in between the flat top and steering arm, any suggestions as to where I can find one?

what is it you're trying to do with this?

CheapJeep
05-16-2006, 09:23 PM
Space the drag link from the leaf spring. I'll either use a spacer/shim on the flat top or a spacer between the arm and the drag link. Because once I shim the front axle upward the drag link will probably hit the leaf's.

agjohn02
05-16-2006, 11:06 PM
ah, a spacer. partsmikeparts.com

CheapJeep
05-17-2006, 12:59 PM
Thanks John. :gigem:

JeepPhisherman
05-17-2006, 01:21 PM
Rotate the knuckles.

CheapJeep
05-17-2006, 01:55 PM
Rotate the knuckles.
That won't fix the problem. The whole axle needs to be rotated upward due to the pinion pointing towards the ground because of my reverse shackle setup in the front.

Sharpe
05-17-2006, 02:06 PM
Yes but his pinion is also in desperate need of rotation. His steering castor is majorly fawked. Went for a test drive the other day and almost died when the steering started vibrating HARD and causing the jeep to swerve all over the road.

Sharpe
05-17-2006, 02:27 PM
Yes it will that's why hes doing it but when he puts the shims in his draglink will probably hit the passenger side spring so he nees a spacer for the highsteer arm.

agjohn02
05-17-2006, 03:32 PM
if its a chevy axle the pinion should be pretty much level and then caster should be good. i know what you are saying about the RS screwing it up. so it has a cast in perch on the pumpkin?

CheapJeep
05-17-2006, 03:38 PM
if its a chevy axle the pinion should be pretty much level and then caster should be good. i know what you are saying about the RS screwing it up. so it has a cast in perch on the pumpkin?
It's a dodge 44. But just as you said John, it does have a perch cast into the pumpkin so you can't cut and rotate the perches.

I'm running heims so I can shim the drag link like I said before if I don't end up getting a spacer for the arm.

CheapJeep
05-17-2006, 03:48 PM
I just took some pics for reference.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/blink05/Partay/fun008.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/blink05/Partay/fun007.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/blink05/Partay/fun009.jpg

uglyota
05-17-2006, 04:18 PM
looks to me like you just need a longer front driveshaft
I don't think the pinion pointing too far down should give you death wobble, I think that problem is coming from somewhere else

Doug Krebs
05-17-2006, 04:20 PM
looks to me like you just need a longer front driveshaft
I don't think the pinion pointing too far down should give you death wobble, I think that problem is coming from somewhere else

pinion won't but if you get the ball joints at a funky caster it makes the steering fubared

uglyota
05-17-2006, 04:36 PM
that's what I mean, if it's a stock axle, doesn't a pinion pointing down (and thus rotating the caster back) make the steering tend to center, whereas shimming it to point the pinion up makes it tend away from center (ie Deathwobble)? I can't remember which is positive and which is negative.

CheapJeep
05-17-2006, 05:08 PM
Maybe from the pics it's hard to tell, but the pinion is definitely pointing down and you can see how the steering is angled upward. I did do a little testing yesterday driving around, and the wobble really only happens when I mash the throttle then immediately let off, which is why I said I need to make traction bars. I can watch the rear axle torque when I do this which I think is sending into the wobble. Either way, I'm shimming the axle to help out that pinion angle because it's hideous and is wearing out my u-joints prematurely.

AggieTJ2007
05-17-2006, 07:08 PM
I still think you should cut and turn the knucles even if you use shims to move the pinion, it will make the jeep alot more driveable and steer alot better

agjohn02
05-17-2006, 08:06 PM
you should have 4-6 degrees of ?positive? caster. the kingpin angle should lean back 4-6 degrees. i know what forward leaning caster will do. i drove with it for two years. it sucks. the only thing i know too much caster will do is feather the edges of your tires more. it may cause other problems though. i could definately see it cause death wobble. i would shim it to the correct caster. forget about pinion angle for now. put an angle finder on a flat surface, like a steering arm to measure the caster. compare this value to the angle of the ground you are sitting on to get actual caster. see how the pinion looks with caster corrected and then decide if you want to hassle with a cut n turn. my bet is you dont need to do it. those axles should have caster built into them, unlike pre '80 scout axles.

agjohn02
05-17-2006, 08:07 PM
oh yeah, forward leaning caster make tires wear very very well and not make any noise.

AggieTJ2007
05-17-2006, 08:20 PM
what about steering, too much and the tires are trying to pick up the vehicle when you turn the wheel

Sharpe
05-17-2006, 10:08 PM
The whole f'in axle is rotated incorrectly. Its not just castor, and not just the pinion angle, its both. When he puts the shims in, they will fix both problems, without any of this cut and turning knuckles crap. I think we are really overengineering the solution here.

agjohn02
05-17-2006, 10:13 PM
The whole f'in axle is rotated incorrectly. Its not just castor, and not just the pinion angle, its both. When he puts the shims in, they will fix both problems, without any of this cut and turning knuckles crap. I think we are really overengineering the solution here.

... and by "we" you mean creighton?

edit: oh yeah, and the mochachino stallion.

AggieTJ2007
05-17-2006, 10:15 PM
ok, so I haven't looked at it, I don't even **** w/ leaf springs, All I have to do to set pinion angle or caster is make some arms longer, and whalla it changes

CheapJeep
05-17-2006, 10:15 PM
Finally, somebody actually listened.....

AggieTJ2007
05-17-2006, 10:17 PM
Ok I reviewed the pictures, I just felt like giving advice for something I hadn't even really looked at

agjohn02
05-17-2006, 10:18 PM
i had to use spacers and bend the arms a little because of the RS.

http://tamor.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5093&stc=1

agjohn02
05-17-2006, 10:22 PM
Finally, somebody actually listened.....

WTF?

... i would shim it to the correct caster. forget about pinion angle for now... see how the pinion looks with caster corrected and then decide if you want to hassle with a cut n turn. my bet is you dont need to do it.

CheapJeep
05-17-2006, 11:47 PM
WTF?
I know, that comment wasn't directed towards you at all. :gigem:

uglyota
05-18-2006, 08:58 AM
Do what you want, but I'm pretty sure you're both mistaken. By shimming the axle to rotate your pinion, you are also tipping your caster forward, which is going to make the axle tend to steer towards the sides of the road, whereas in the stock condition the axle tends to the center. Shimming for pinion angle will exacerbate the Death Wobble
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caster_angle

Doug Krebs
05-18-2006, 09:04 AM
Do what you want, but I'm pretty sure you're both mistaken. By shimming the axle to rotate your pinion, you are also tipping your caster forward, which is going to make the axle tend to steer towards the sides of the road, whereas in the stock condition the axle tends to the center. Shimming for pinion angle will exacerbate the Death Wobble
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caster_angle

oh snap, look who invented it!

Arthur Krebspplied the first the positive caster angle to automotive front-train in his 1896 car English patent : "To ensure stability of direction by means of a special arrangement of fore-carriage, that is to say, to re-establish automatically the parallelism of the two axles of the vehicle when there is no tendency to keep them in any other direction, or after a temporary effort has caused them to diverge from said parallelism. [...] The axle of the fore-carriage is situated a suitable distance behind the projection of the axis of the pivot-pin in order to ensure the stability of direction above referred to."

to bad he was french... although he has to be of german decent with the krebs last name

uglyota
05-18-2006, 09:05 AM
oh yeah I was gonna mention that...a hard-on for obscure concepts is definitely in your blood :D

davido
05-18-2006, 09:20 AM
As long as your shimming it back to stock location, it shouldn't matter. I have huge shims on the front but it just made it back to stock angle. I didn't "raise" my pinion. It needed the huge shim because of the home grown reverse outboarded shackle setup with Cruiser leafs and a 1-ton axle.

DRAGOONRANCH
05-18-2006, 09:32 AM
As long as your shimming it back to stock location, it shouldn't matter. I have huge shims on the front but it just made it back to stock angle. I didn't "raise" my pinion. It needed the huge shim because of the home grown reverse outboarded shackle setup with Cruiser leafs and a 1-ton axle.

I am pretty sure this is what a few people are missing. If I am wrong, please correct me, but I believe that once the pinion angle is back to normal, the caster will be too. Unless this has been modified before (kingpins cut off and rotated) the axle will be right again. Did someone say "overengineered" earlier, thats what aggies do right. :flipoff2:

uglyota
05-18-2006, 09:33 AM
but he says he already has death wobble

DRAGOONRANCH
05-18-2006, 09:38 AM
could the death wobble be attributed to the caster being to far back (top of kingpin being to far to the rear of vehicle). I would think that DW would start once it was too far either way. I say shim it, them fix the caster as needed, cause the pinion is definitely to low.

uglyota
05-18-2006, 09:46 AM
I don't know, I wouldn't think that would happen until the caster was past like 45* though

Sharpe
05-18-2006, 12:38 PM
Dammit Eric you're busting my balls here. The entire axle is rotated too far down and the pinion angle is pointed towards the ground. I dont know if when we experience was tecnically "death wobble" but I do know the entire jeep was shaking violently and started swerving all over the road.

SHIMS WILL FIX BOTH PROBLEMS.

uglyota
05-18-2006, 12:51 PM
well then put some shims in and see if it needs a steering arm spacer, if it does put a couple washers under the draglink heim and go see if it's fixed
how long are the front shackles? Shorter shackles will help that pinion angle too

CheapJeep
05-18-2006, 12:55 PM
I am pretty sure this is what a few people are missing. If I am wrong, please correct me, but I believe that once the pinion angle is back to normal, the caster will be too. Unless this has been modified before (kingpins cut off and rotated) the axle will be right again. Did someone say "overengineered" earlier, thats what aggies do right. :flipoff2:
You got it correctly. I don't know how many times I tried to explain it, I even included pictures, but the shims will fix both.

Oh well. :gigem:

agjohn02
05-18-2006, 02:21 PM
well then put some shims in and see if it needs a steering arm spacer, if it does put a couple washers under the draglink heim and go see if it's fixed
how long are the front shackles? Shorter shackles will help that pinion angle too

i cant figure out if you are retarded or just have so much hemp stashed in your bunghole that its restricting blood flow to your brain. :flipoff2:

uglyota
05-18-2006, 02:30 PM
everything I've said in this thread is correct and makes sense in the context of the information given. what's retarded is thinking that tipping your pinion up will improve deathwobble, and wanting to put a spacer under your hy-steer arm when a misalignment washer will do the job :flipoff2:

CheapJeep
05-18-2006, 02:38 PM
everything I've said in this thread is correct and makes sense in the context of the information given. what's retarded is thinking that tipping your pinion up will improve deathwobble, and wanting to put a spacer under your hy-steer arm when a misalignment washer will do the job :flipoff2:
Wow, I never realized you were so ignorant. Do you not understand that the ****ing pinion and caster problem will be fixed by shims. The caster angle is pitched upward and pinion down, when I shim it, it will be level. You really don't listen when you make comments like that, I already have misalignment washers that I will put in there and if that doesn't work then I will go to a spacer.

This isn't rocket science, so why try to overengineer everything, just accept what's been said. :gigem:

agjohn02
05-18-2006, 02:51 PM

dont you know that deathmobble is caused by compounded u-joint angles?

you got a half inch misalignment washer? you could use some pvc pipe or poop tube if you want it to be really strong.

BMFScout
05-18-2006, 03:02 PM
shims are ghetto, cutting and turning the axle is the only right way to do it. I haven't even read any of this post, but do what you like and report back.

Doug Krebs
05-18-2006, 03:06 PM
shims are ghetto, cutting and turning the axle is the only right way to do it. I haven't even read any of this post, but do what you like and report back.

Whatever, I have 15 degrees shims under the blazer and you saw how well that worked! I had no idea what my angle was going to be when I repositioned the front hangers and used the new springs. I only used the shims because I had 4 days to finish it.

All I can say is if you use a big shim on the bottom, you better get one for the top if the axle uses bolts like a dana 60 does. If it uses U-bolts, they will just rotate.

eight
05-19-2006, 08:59 AM
Why you need shims on top of d60? Mine tighten down good.

Robbie, don't worry about Eric, he's just a hippy that spends too much time on offroad forums and too little actually working on things.

uglyota
05-19-2006, 09:26 AM
Yeah Robbie, Ryan's right, I've never built anything myself and definitely have never messed with a leafspring suspension and had to solve caster and pinion angle problems. I only know how to talk trash on the internet

agjohn02
05-19-2006, 12:07 PM
here eric. the diagram on the left is robbies axle without shims. the diagram on the right is robbies axle with shims.

red is for the kingpin axis. green is for the pinion.

uglyota
05-19-2006, 12:30 PM
yes thank you for showing me what I've just described several times :rolleyes:
If deathwobble is being caused by too little caster angle in the left diagram it will be worse in the right diagram.
The solution is to get the suspension set up and settled in as desired (since height of the rear suspension affects caster), take off the front driveshaft and drive around with different shims to find the ideal caster for the front axle, then decide what is needed to get the pinion pointed where you want it (at the tcase if you have a cv driveshaft, parallel with the ground if non-cv) without affecting the knuckles. This will most likely require a cut and turn.
It really doesn't matter because apparently I'm an ignorant ******* for trying to help here

sasquatch
05-19-2006, 01:19 PM

you should try the easier solution first. death wobble is something that definitly needs to be fixed. i was starting to get it on my jeep for obvious reasons.

robbie, didn't you weld the perches on the first time?

CheapJeep
05-19-2006, 01:48 PM
robbie, didn't you weld the perches on the first time?
Not on the front axle, they're cast into the diff. You're thinking of the rear axle.

Anyway, shims are on the way, we'll see what happens.

agjohn02
05-19-2006, 03:39 PM
yes thank you for showing me what I've just described several times :rolleyes:
If deathwobble is being caused by too little caster angle in the left diagram it will be worse in the right diagram.
The solution is to get the suspension set up and settled in as desired (since height of the rear suspension affects caster), take off the front driveshaft and drive around with different shims to find the ideal caster for the front axle, then decide what is needed to get the pinion pointed where you want it (at the tcase if you have a cv driveshaft, parallel with the ground if non-cv) without affecting the knuckles. This will most likely require a cut and turn.
It really doesn't matter because apparently I'm an ignorant ******* for trying to help here

what i dont think you are understanding is that the caster is built into this axle already. he just needs to get the pinion level like it is from the factory and it will restore proper caster.

dont be a mechanic and just replace parts (shims) until it feels right. be a technician and diagnose and fix it before you ever drive it by measuring. you should already know what your caster is before you ever order shims and what it needs to be after you install them. that way you know which shims to order. eric is making it too complicated and you are making it too easy. you'll be lucky if you get it right. meet at my happy medium and things will go much smoother. see the last line in my sig?

uglyota
05-19-2006, 04:20 PM
so how many degrees of caster is "proper?"

and just for fun, did your Scout in stock form have "proper caster?"

agjohn02
05-19-2006, 05:17 PM
so how many degrees of caster is "proper?"

and just for fun, did your Scout in stock form have "proper caster?"

see, i knew you werent actually reading this thread

you should have 4-6 degrees of ?positive? caster. the kingpin angle should lean back 4-6 degrees. i know what forward leaning caster will do. i drove with it for two years. it sucks. the only thing i know too much caster will do is feather the edges of your tires more. it may cause other problems though. i could definately see it cause death wobble. i would shim it to the correct caster. forget about pinion angle for now. put an angle finder on a flat surface, like a steering arm to measure the caster. compare this value to the angle of the ground you are sitting on to get actual caster. see how the pinion looks with caster corrected and then decide if you want to hassle with a cut n turn. my bet is you dont need to do it. those axles should have caster built into them, unlike pre '80 scout axles.

CheapJeep
05-21-2006, 08:33 PM
I ordered 6* shims after I checked the angle, it'll be close but I think 6 is right.

I also have some new rubber I'm picking up this week, I'll probably go get my new rims tomorrow.

TxCruzr
05-21-2006, 09:00 PM
I also have some new rubber I'm picking up this week, I'll probably go get my new rims tomorrow.

That was quick. Mickey's really suck that bad?

CheapJeep
05-21-2006, 09:47 PM
Nah, they're great tires I just want bigger and something different.

william_ace
05-21-2006, 10:02 PM
what you getting?

TxCruzr
05-21-2006, 10:23 PM
Wouldn't gearing help you more than a tire that is half an inch larger? A well setup rig on 33s will do better then a less setup one on 40s.

CheapJeep
05-21-2006, 10:29 PM
All in due time. It's a project, that's why you add/change/build things constantly... I have drivetrain plans in the future, but this is a good deal so I'm not going to pass it up. They're 38" SSR's :gigem:

agjohn02
05-21-2006, 10:29 PM
36" iroks :gigem:

edit: ah you're shwartz is bigger than i thought. better take it easy on the 44 for a while.

AggieTJ2007
05-21-2006, 11:54 PM
you might be pushing that 8.8 a little too after you get some lower gears

uglyota
05-22-2006, 08:35 AM
hey now, no disagreeing, you wanna get this thread locked again? :flipoff2:

AggieTJ2007
05-22-2006, 11:40 AM
sorry, Robby have fun with them tires I wanna see them`

J Cooper
05-22-2006, 02:03 PM
All in due time. It's a project, that's why you add/change/build things constantly... I have drivetrain plans in the future, but this is a good deal so I'm not going to pass it up. They're 38" SSR's :gigem:

your putting 38s" on your jeep?? guess that year of me talking to you, as well as everyone else and going on trips went right out your ears

have fun... buy spares... and adjust your carb before anything

J Cooper
05-22-2006, 02:04 PM
Wouldn't gearing help you more than a tire that is half an inch larger? A well setup rig on 33s will do better then a less setup one on 40s.

no ****.. id run 33s before i ever ran 38s or 40s

agjohn02
05-22-2006, 02:09 PM
no ****.. id run 33s before i ever ran 38s or 40s

shhhhhhhhhhhhh, dont try to tell him anything. he'll get pissy. he's already figured out how he's gonna do it. :flipoff2:

sasquatch
05-22-2006, 02:12 PM
i do agree that you are going to be hearing alot of snap, crackle, and poping with those tires and locked axles. probably. maybe save them for when you get bigger axles

JeepPhisherman
05-22-2006, 02:19 PM
why are you deleting people's posts robbie?

and I agree, 38's on a 44 will give you lots of personal time with that axle

agjohn02
05-22-2006, 02:26 PM
here delete this one

i even personalized it for you :flipoff2:

CheapJeep
05-22-2006, 03:12 PM
your putting 38s" on your jeep?? guess that year of me talking to you, as well as everyone else and going on trips went right out your ears
have fun... buy spares... and adjust your carb before anything
Ah yes, I was waiting for you to post something like this.... :rolleyes: I guess you just don't get it. Why are you always trying to sound like a mentor or something? I built your spare tire carrier, hauled your pile to Clayton (you only paid for one tank of gas btw), plus a ton of other ****... not the other way around.

why are you deleting people's posts robbie?
You're kidding right? Just read through a few pages of the cluttered b.s. then think about it.

i have drivetrain plans in the future, but this is a good deal so I'm not going to pass it up I guess nobody read this...

JeepPhisherman
05-22-2006, 03:17 PM
Most of this forum is cluttered b.s.
That's what this place is for, talking about tech outloud, getting opinions, people disagreeing with you, etc.

I figured it out after I read the "John Cox..." thread.

JeepPhisherman
05-22-2006, 03:18 PM
And I saw that you were getting a good deal, but just cause I get a good deal on a VW truck doesnt mean I'm going to go out and buy one...

Best of luck with the 38's. Let me know what you have to do to the 44 to get it to hold up, and I'll bomb proof mine for the 35's.

agjohn02
05-22-2006, 03:19 PM
this kid's fiesty ain't he? i knew the throne wouldnt be empty long.

think of all the fun we missed by him having his rig built by a professional drag racer:flipoff2:

Sharpe
05-22-2006, 03:20 PM
And I saw that you were getting a good deal, but just cause I get a good deal on a VW truck doesnt mean I'm going to go out and buy one...
Why not? Eric did.

Robbie's running ****ty gearing with a ****ty motor, do yall really think he will have a problem with breakage? I dont...

CheapJeep
05-22-2006, 03:22 PM
think of all the fun we missed by him having his rig built by a professional drag racer:flipoff2:
If you actually saw the thread I built my rig....I did everything myself with the exception of the cage but like I stated numerous times I was there to help build it. :flipoff2:

At least get your **** straight before you run your mouth about things you don't know about.

CheapJeep
05-22-2006, 03:29 PM
BTW John, I think your mall crawling pic better suits you seeing that I've wheeled more trips than you. :flipoff2:
Not too mention, my heep isn't yellow...

uglyota
05-22-2006, 03:36 PM
maybe you should get your **** straight...I think John's got a couple of weekends at gilmer on you, he lives like ten minutes away

agjohn02
05-22-2006, 03:51 PM
maybe you should get your **** straight...I think John's got a couple of weekends at gilmer on you, he lives like ten minutes away

yes, but everyone knows the only real wheeling is done on sanctioned TAMOR trips. if you consider more than zero a lot of trips. then yes, you're an expert.

its not that close eric, its about 35 mins.

what's so bad about 4.56 gears?

BMFScout
05-22-2006, 04:12 PM
Robbie, you're coming off as a prick. We all know you're not, take a deep breath.

Seth
05-22-2006, 04:17 PM
Robbie, you're coming off as a prick. We all know you're not, take a deep breath.

agreed

stinger7401
05-22-2006, 04:18 PM
http://www.rubiconownersforum.com/phpbb2/images/smiles/new_popcornsmiley.gif

This is great! Haven't seen a thread like this on here in a while at least since astin and Doug K. left.

agjohn02
05-22-2006, 04:19 PM

thats what i was thinking, but it only makes me wanna proliferate the situation. having a bad week?

uglyota
05-22-2006, 04:25 PM
Dammit Nick would you quit posting smilies from the Rubicon Owner's Forum? :D

agjohn02
05-22-2006, 04:44 PM
Dammit Nick would you quit posting smilies from the Rubicon Owner's Forum? :D

i dont think that is from the rubi forum, but this most definately is...

http://www.animeacademy.com/forums/images/smilies/humping.gif

AggieTJ2007
05-22-2006, 05:18 PM
I would build the drivetrain then add the tires. I can go alot of places on 33's that people don't think that you can. I have followed and done obstacles on 33's that guys on 38's didn't make

CheapJeep
05-22-2006, 06:53 PM
Installed shims today. Caster and pinion angle are now correct. Also ordered new rims today.

agjohn02
05-22-2006, 07:14 PM
Installed shims today. Caster angle is now level as well as pinion at decent angle. Also ordered new rims.

am i reading this wrong?

TxCruzr
05-22-2006, 09:46 PM
I would build the drivetrain then add the tires. I can go alot of places on 33's that people don't think that you can. I have followed and done obstacles on 33's that guys on 38's didn't make

Yes, but that is because you think driving off the side of a cliff is a good idea cause billy bob said there is a trail somewhere down there :flipoff2:
Don't get me wrong, I think its entertaining as fook :gigem:

Sharpe
05-22-2006, 09:54 PM
Perfect example, the waterhole on aggie highway at katemcy. At TCC 3, I convinced Cody A. and Mario to try it. Cody was on his 37" (I believe) Iroks and Mario on his 3 38's and 1 36" TSL's. Neither made it and had to get dragged out. Naturally, this made Creighton curious and he spanked it with his little 33's. Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!" :flipoff2:

J Cooper
05-23-2006, 03:14 AM
Ah yes, I was waiting for you to post something like this.... :rolleyes: I guess you just don't get it. Why are you always trying to sound like a mentor or something? I built your spare tire carrier, hauled your pile to Clayton (you only paid for one tank of gas btw), plus a ton of other ****... not the other way around.

yes i am trying to be a mentor you little fvck. why the ****ing personal attack on me?? wtf did i do beside ask a question why you say one thing and then go do another. your the one always looking up to us and saying how you want to learn ****. you think you ****ing know it all? your a ****ing kid dealing with people that have done this **** since you were in like 1st-8th grade. experience is knowledge. i let you help cause i thought you wanted to learn some ****... you really think i had to have your help?? and my jeep is the furthest from a piece of "heep"... and dont offer something if your going to be a ****ing prick about it later. and if you wanted money just ask, this is the first ive heard about it. ill write you a check when i get home. ill deduct the broken window and all the broken property at my house. just dont talk to me if your gonna have this kind of attitude you ****y ****.
damn im glad im graduating.

DRAGOONRANCH
05-23-2006, 04:37 AM
Yall gonna make "Big Daddy" come home early and snatch yalls ***es back in line aint ya. If the smoke don't clear soon, I am gonna get my belt and do a little attitude adjustin. I got a big gut, so it's gonna be a big belt. Cool down, quit cryin and cowboy up biatches.

:angry:

You can procede to bust each others balls now. I will sit back and enjoy the show.

CheapJeep
05-23-2006, 04:40 AM
What's with all the cursing and name calling? You would think that at almost 25 yrs. old you wouldn't act like a "kid" as you labeled me. My point is to enlighten you towards some of your less than helpful/supportive previous posts that string all the way back to six months ago. You should really think about how you come off when you say things in that manner, you aren't teaching or getting through to anyone that way.

With that being said, enough with the bickering, if there is a need to discuss personal matters save it for p.m.'s or something other than the open tech/project forum.

DRAGOONRANCH
05-23-2006, 04:41 AM
We need a new officer position, and I will put my name in the hat for it. Lets call it the "Man at Arms", "Longarm", or some ****. This will consist of going to someones house and snatchin a new knot on their noggin when they get out of line on here.

Post up some good names for the new position if you have something better. I can feel the animosity retreating already. :flipoff2:

BMFScout
05-23-2006, 08:32 AM
:littlesmiliedudeeatingpopcorn:

uglyota
05-23-2006, 08:58 AM
Installed shims today. Caster and pinion angle are now correct. Also ordered new rims today.
so you drove around and it rides and steers just like the dodge did from the factory?

CJ4
05-23-2006, 09:35 AM
We need a new officer position, and I will put my name in the hat for it. Lets call it the "Man at Arms", "Longarm", or some ****. This will consist of going to someones house and snatchin a new knot on their noggin when they get out of line on here.

Post up some good names for the new position if you have something better. I can feel the animosity retreating already. :flipoff2:

Will the club pay for gas expenses?

DRAGOONRANCH
05-23-2006, 09:40 AM
Will the club pay for gas expenses?

I would think that the sheer fun of the position would be payment enough, but from what I read on here, you would likely get plenty in donations. :D

BMFScout
05-23-2006, 10:25 AM
I would think that the sheer fun of the position would be payment enough, but from what I read on here, you would likely get plenty in donations. :D

When the need arises, someone would have to submit a work order. The "Longarm" position would then return a quote for the services to be provided. The requestor would then submit a purchase order for the services if they were trustworthy, or might need to pay up front via credit card, or paypal. I think COD might be trickier than we want to deal with, and international orders are just a pain, should probably stick to the contiguous 48. Once the services are complete an invoice will be sent, and payment is expected within 30 days. Late payment is subject to suspension of credit, and submittal to a collection agency, unless the "Longarm" decides to just come beat your ass instead. After all, that is his job. :gigem:

bburris
05-23-2006, 10:55 AM
Hey turns out I need a job guys.

Have guns, will travel.

BMFScout
05-23-2006, 11:10 AM
Hey turns out I need a job guys.

Have guns, will travel.

I thought you were going to be a minuteman?

bburris
05-23-2006, 11:12 AM
I found out the trained versions that get paid aren't much brighter than the minutemen... I can't work with people that stupid when my life is on the line.

uglyota
05-23-2006, 11:14 AM
no job that pays you to put your life on the line is gonna attract the brightest crayons in the box

bburris
05-23-2006, 11:16 AM
Seriously, I've **** smarter things than some of those kids... And they all had to go through the same background check I did. Unbelieveable.

Grad school here I come. Full time job for now, then cut back in the fall to start at either UT-Arlington or Texas State.

uglyota
05-23-2006, 11:36 AM
well, I guess some rodents are considered to be fairly intelligent :flipoff2:

jerryg79
05-23-2006, 11:38 AM
When the need arises, someone would have to submit a work order. The "Longarm" position would then return a quote for the services to be provided. The requestor would then submit a purchase order for the services if they were trustworthy, or might need to pay up front via credit card, or paypal. I think COD might be trickier than we want to deal with, and international orders are just a pain, should probably stick to the contiguous 48. Once the services are complete an invoice will be sent, and payment is expected within 30 days. Late payment is subject to suspension of credit, and submittal to a collection agency, unless the "Longarm" decides to just come beat your ass instead. After all, that is his job. :gigem:

you would need a subcontract, a purchase order is for goods not services :flipoff2:

BMFScout
05-23-2006, 11:41 AM
good call, feel free to wite up a revision and I'll submit it directly to the higher-ups without taking anytime to look it over.

jerryg79
05-23-2006, 11:49 AM
good call, feel free to wite up a revision and I'll submit it directly to the higher-ups without taking anytime to look it over.

:D :flipoff2:

mudtoy67
05-23-2006, 12:22 PM
This thread is on it's way to being properly hijacked :laughing:

Wait, let me help...

Coco Loco has the best mexican food in Bryan

agjohn02
05-23-2006, 12:52 PM

hmm is that the same as this?

Installed shims today. Caster angle is now level as well as pinion at decent angle. Also ordered new rims.

thats why your thread is now on it's way to syria. you just edited the post to make you look right instead of discussing the tech like you should.

anywho, you have zero caster im assuming and the pinion is still pointing down some. scouts came from the factory with zero caster till '80. it should drive better but not as good as it could. referr to my post a while back about making it too complicated or too easy...blah blah. you made it too easy and its still messed up.

sasquatch
05-23-2006, 12:56 PM

take some pictures of the new angles

sasquatch
05-23-2006, 01:18 PM
why do i feel the need to post this...

The forums are a place to voice your opinion and views on different topics. In light of the events of the past week, the rules are being posted to be re-affirmed.

1) No personal attacks from one person to the other. Yes there are differences between personal attacks and light joking. If the situation ever arises again, the officers and I have agreed that the thread will be closed and a decision will be reached by us as to what will be done about it. If it stays it will be reopend and the war will commence.

2) No foul language will be used. For the most part the language barrier has been built. The misconstructions that have been formed steming from root words will stand. Their original forms have already been taken care of and are filled in with ***. To those who think its annoying, deal with it.

agjohn02
05-23-2006, 01:30 PM
why do i feel the need to post this...

you're just mad because i called you dumb. thats not a personal attack, its scientific fact. the proof is in your post. :flipoff2:

AgDieseler
05-23-2006, 01:35 PM
My uncle has a pocketknife.

sasquatch
05-23-2006, 01:43 PM
you're just mad because i called you dumb. thats not a personal attack, its scientific fact. the proof is in your post. :flipoff2:

when was i involved in this waaah-athon. if you called me dumb somewhere, i didn't even notice. i was referring to the rule offending posts on page before this

agjohn02
05-23-2006, 02:37 PM
ah, the coop asterisk-fest... who called you dumb?

stinger7401
05-23-2006, 03:14 PM
:littlesmiliedudeeatingpopcorn:

Here you go Jimmyhat...http://www.rubiconownersforum.com/phpbb2/images/smiles/new_popcornsmiley.gif ...im tellin ya, this is the **** this board was built off of, took me several years to realize it but in my older days now I'v seen the funnier side of life... :cheers:

"LETS GET IT AWN!!"

CheapJeep
05-23-2006, 09:56 PM
Bedlined the inside of the tub. C.J. and I adjusted the jets after helping Danny work on his scout. Here's some pics of the bedliner and shims.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/blink05/Partay/jeepwork001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/blink05/Partay/jeepwork003.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/blink05/Partay/jeepwork006.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/blink05/Partay/jeepwork005.jpg

Shaggy
05-23-2006, 09:58 PM
i would get longer bolts

CheapJeep
05-23-2006, 10:02 PM
I am, just forgot to pick up the hardware when I was at home depot earlier. I stacked a few washers beneath the drag link to help raise it up, but I'll definitely need to get a high steer arm spacer due to the amount that it needs to be raised.

HULK-1
05-23-2006, 10:43 PM
The bedlining looks good in the tub robbie, thnx for letting me borrow ur battery today :gigem:

J Cooper
05-23-2006, 11:20 PM
tub looks good.. any left over? i would do the fender wells while your at it.. CJ did and it looked good.

oh and grab some red paint and finish that cage while the seats are out :flipoff2:

AggieTJ2007
05-23-2006, 11:55 PM
have you considered the 231 doubler? Its not very much to build and would work great w/ your pass drop axle and give you a great crawl ratio.

Sharpe
05-24-2006, 12:04 AM
Robbie would have to move his rear axle way back in order to cram a doubler in there. I havent looked at his but on my jeep, I have a T11 or 12 and the t-case is attached directly to the tranny, with no adapter. I figured they did this to minimize length as the rear driveshaft is only like 20" long from the factory. Even though Robbie has a different tranny, I'd imagine the t-case is attached the same and the rear driveshaft is the same length. This doesnt leave even a little room for any extra length. While I'm sure he will end up stretching the wheelbase more some day, like all CJ5 jeepers do, jumping into two big projects like that at once wouldnt be a good idea.

AggieTJ2007
05-24-2006, 12:08 AM
yeah, but just one of those ideas, It will make my driveline short, but its why I plan to keep the jeep low and just cut the body, I mean its already dented

stinger7401
05-24-2006, 12:15 AM
on a serious note, be really careful with those shims, i replaced two sets of those, they are very prone to cracking in half, i actually used to carry spares with me, one happend on engineer pass in colorado, my rear end passed me up, i knew i was in trouble.

CheapJeep
05-24-2006, 01:03 AM
Thanks Nick, I'll probably buy a set of spares like you said. After riding with that xj guy in clayton when he cracked both of his it's probably a good idea. I just remember being in the back seat with no doors and his rear axle smacking the fenderwells.

I still have a little bit of that bedliner stuff left over if you want it. I didn't realize it was so expensive, about $60 for the kit, but it's best to do it the right way the first time.

Shaggy
05-24-2006, 06:55 AM
why not cut off and weld on new perches at the right degree?

Seth
05-24-2006, 07:17 AM
why not cut off and weld on new perches at the right degree?

lmao

Shaggy
05-24-2006, 08:46 AM
i never looked at the axle... the spring perch is cast into the center section isnt it... eh

BMFScout
05-24-2006, 09:49 AM
i never looked at the axle... the spring perch is cast into the center section isnt it... eh

the funny part about that is a few pages back on this thread. Everyone pulled out their e-wang and let it fly. It was neat!

DRAGOONRANCH
05-24-2006, 09:58 AM
the funny part about that is a few pages back on this thread. Everyone pulled out their e-wang and let it fly. It was neat!

In classic Mel Brooks style, "May the schwartz be with you!"

BMFScout
05-24-2006, 10:27 AM
"there's two sides to every schwartz, he got the up side, I got the down side."

"I'm a mog, half man, half dog. I'm my own best friend"

DRAGOONRANCH
05-24-2006, 10:38 AM
"there's two sides to every schwartz, he got the up side, I got the down side."

"I'm a mog, half man, half dog. I'm my own best friend"

You gotta have mad respect for a man with a twisted mind. :D

stx4wheeler
05-24-2006, 10:44 AM
robbie i would go over the tub one more time like we talked about yesterday, for a litle thicker coverage, oh yeah and wasnt that easier than fawking with grinding all the seems down and painting it!

CheapJeep
06-02-2006, 04:25 PM
Had a final hoorah with the ol' Claws... Got my 38"s on with the new rims.

Pics.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/blink05/Partay/jeepwork008.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/blink05/Partay/jeepwork009.jpg

:flipoff2:

agjohn02
06-02-2006, 04:31 PM
looks good...

and fragile :flipoff2:

J Cooper
06-02-2006, 04:40 PM
looks good
but have you measured it... is it wider than long yet?? and i think my might wanna go ahead and find yourself a sawsall... its gonna rrrrrrrrruuuuub

stinger7401
06-02-2006, 04:52 PM
I didn't know you bought landon's old jeep??

Fredo
06-02-2006, 05:27 PM
I didn't know you bought landon's old jeep??

I thought the same thing when I saw those pics. That reminds me....that jeep had one tough sounding 304 in it. Random I know, but that was triggered in my head when I thought of that jeep.

J Cooper
06-02-2006, 05:35 PM
ya it does look just landons jeep just minus the motor

kinda looks like a jeep from clayton too... but it was a CJ6 and he hand brand new 44s

http://tamor.us/members-rigs/albums/album210/IMG_0189.jpg

Shaggy
06-02-2006, 06:14 PM
what was wrong with the claws... they only had like one trip in them right?

CheapJeep
06-02-2006, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the complement's. I like the way it looks, it doesn't remind me of a rollerskate now. :laughing: I'm going to bring back a sawzaw when I go home this weekend for the party crashing. My plan is to somewhat comp cut the rear like C.J.'s then tube fender the front to look like this with a radiator hoop and stinger.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/blink05/Partay/DSC_0231.jpg

As for the claws, they did well at Katemcy both times and hooked up pretty well at 47 but I really didn't like the rubber compound. They were way too stiff and I ended up blowing beads when I was only aired down to about 10 psi. It's just personal preference, I guess some people like them more than others.

StevenAg03
06-02-2006, 08:01 PM
As for the claws, they did well at Katemcy both times and hooked up pretty well at 47 but I really didn't like the rubber compound. They were way too stiff and I ended up blowing beads when I was only aired down to about 10 psi. It's just personal preference, I guess some people like them more than others.

what wheels were you running? i have stock jeep 8in wide wheels on mine with 35" BFG's. i never blew a bead at 8psi...

william_ace
06-03-2006, 01:15 AM
not raggin on ya but are you gonna upgrade the rear axle anytime soon?

CheapJeep
06-03-2006, 02:31 AM
I was running the stock 7" cj wheels or whatever...I needed to sand blast them though, the inner part of the rim was corroded with rust but anyway.

As for the 8.8 I planned on buying Ryan's chromo rear shaft's but I haven't gotten around to it yet. But if that falls through I have "other" plans to come. :gigem:

HULK-1
06-03-2006, 10:27 AM
It looks good robbie :gigem:

Matt Conlee
06-03-2006, 12:47 PM
Looks good, I hope the axles hold up. It might be time to start collecting spare parts.

Sharpe
06-03-2006, 01:23 PM
That damn thing actually rides nice now, even with unbalanced tires. The shims helped alot and the tires actually make it look decent. I still think they would look better on pigpen though.

william_ace
06-03-2006, 08:00 PM
if you gonna go that big of a tire i'd say go with a bigger axle

CheapJeep
07-15-2006, 08:03 PM
After alot of thought, I've decided to keep the Jeep. I built some new supports for the battery tray, then pulled out the dash so I can start designing a new one for my gauges and all. I'm probably going to find a tilt column out of a 90's chevy since the support for the stock one is about to rip out of the firewall. I reinstalled the seats and covers after I finished bedlining the interior, I made sure to drill some holes in the seats too so my ass doesn't get wet anymore from standing water.

I took my dad for a ride in the Jeep for the first time...he dug the hell out of it. Then cut some donut's just for good measure.:gigem:

DRAGOONRANCH
07-15-2006, 09:08 PM
After alot of thought, I've decided to keep the Jeep. I built some new supports for the battery tray, then pulled out the dash so I can start designing a new one for my gauges and all. I'm probably going to find a tilt column out of a 90's chevy since the support for the stock one is about to rip out of the firewall. I reinstalled the seats and covers after I finished bedlining the interior, I made sure to drill some holes in the seats too so my ass doesn't get wet anymore from standing water.

I took my dad for a ride in the Jeep for the first time...he dug the hell out of it. Then cut some donut's just for good measure.:gigem:

Glad to hear you saw the light man, I love the heep. Sounds cool on the steering column, keep up the good werk. :cool:

Sharpe
07-16-2006, 12:41 AM
So then whats the plan for the z71? If the column out of a 91 (c/k series, not r/v) will work, I have one.

DRAGOONRANCH
07-16-2006, 01:02 AM
So then whats the plan for the z71? If the column out of a 91 (c/k series, not r/v) will work, I have one.

From what I saw, the Z does need some tender luvin care. :flipoff2:

AggieTJ2007
07-16-2006, 01:18 AM
where did you see these pictures

CheapJeep
07-16-2006, 01:20 AM
He saw it in the driveway when he picked up his truck.

AggieTJ2007
07-16-2006, 01:32 AM
ahh, I wanna see a picture

agjohn02
07-16-2006, 02:02 AM
He saw it in the driveway when he picked up his truck.

so everybody knows but its still a secret?

Sharpe
07-16-2006, 02:16 AM
so everybody knows but its still a secret?
Sssshhhhh!

Shaggy
07-16-2006, 05:10 PM
i want to know

agjohn02
07-16-2006, 05:13 PM
yeah, me too

CheapJeep
07-16-2006, 06:15 PM
I didn't realize my personal matters were of such importance to you. Not really anybody's business but if you must know, pm me.

HULK-1
07-16-2006, 08:25 PM
It does need some TLC

CheapJeep
07-16-2006, 08:30 PM
Really? I didn't notice. :flipoff2:

AggieTJ2007
07-16-2006, 10:00 PM
I think you should piece it together enough to enter it in the next tough truck race that is nearby

CheapJeep
07-28-2006, 02:04 PM
Came back home yesterday to get a little work done before alto. The saw zaw and I had a little go around with the Jeep this morning. I comp cut the rear, and after I finish eating I'm going to start working on the front. I can't decide if I want to cut the fenders to where only the inner fender is left or if I want to just pull the whole thing off.

Other than that, I picked up some new hardware from TSC for the steering and spring plates since I put the shims in. I need to get the old dash back in so I can hook up my lights and stuff since I haven't finished my new one yet. I still have other projects I can do but I don't know, we'll see if I get to them.

BMFScout
07-28-2006, 03:05 PM
Came back home yesterday to get a little work done before alto. The saw zaw and I had a little go around with the Jeep this morning. I comp cut the rear, and after I finish eating I'm going to start working on the front. I can't decide if I want to cut the fenders to where only the inner fender is left or if I want to just pull the whole thing off.

Lord help you when Flem reads this! :flipoff2:

agjohn02
07-28-2006, 07:01 PM
...saw zaw...

thats a joke right?

jerryg79
07-28-2006, 07:10 PM
thats a joke right?

yes that really annoys me too, i saw it on pirate the other day and it made my skin crawl

sasquatch
07-28-2006, 07:48 PM
sawzall

agjohn02
07-28-2006, 07:53 PM
so i just went back and actually read the post and let me get this strait (;)just for you jimmy)

you comp cut the rear on a stock wheelbase?

CheapJeep
07-28-2006, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the grammar lesson, it was a joke. I'm glad you actually caught it.

Well let me set you Strait... :flipoff2: When I welded the new spring hangers on the frame I pushed them back 4"s to give me a little more stretch. Then when I made new perches I drilled the pin holes 1" foward to give me a little more as well. So with about 5"s stretch and 38"s I was smashing the rear fenders when flexing. I will say it doesn't rub anymore, but I will need to stretch the frame some when I eventually do my other swap which will probably make it not look as wierd.

CheapJeep
07-28-2006, 09:41 PM
So after taking care of some small bugs I decided to take the Jeep out for a spin. It drove awesome on the road, no more death wobble. Surprisingly it has pretty good power, I mean what else do you expect from a bad little 258?

After that, I decided to revert back to old highschool days and do a little mudding. I then decided the perfect place was our creek leading to the pond. I used to cross it all the time on my fourwheeler so no big deal. I descend down the bank and into the water, no problems so far. The bottom is the light brown clay stuff and my swampers floated right over it for the most part. The problem came about when I realized there was a downed pinetree on the other side. I figured no problem just haul ass. Well I do so and after several tries I realize it's not going to happen, too steep, no traction, and I didn't really think to air down so I was running 30psi... I tried to turn around in the creek but with all the rutt's I left I really couldn't get any traction even with the wheels clocked. So I then decide I'll just back up the bank and be done. Eehhh no. I wasn't really stuck, I could go foward and backward, I just couldn't get out of the creek....so maybe that is stuck. I realized this wasn't working for me so I walked to the barn and got the tractor. I tried pulling both ways, but not much luck after a solid hour of working. I managed to get the rearend up the embankment but because of the angle the motor died. By that time my dad got home and saw what was going on. He wasn't too pleased. So he hooks up with his 3/4ton sub. but even with the 8.1 he couldn't get enough traction with the soft soil. Finally we decide to hook up using the 12,000lb Warn and after several tries we finally got it out. I was covered in mud head to toe, as was the Jeep.

eight
07-28-2006, 10:08 PM
Here's the slightly dangerous yet unsafe way to try next time you're by yourself. Put the tractor in low gear with plenty of slack in the strap, and let it go. Run to jeep, get in and wait for slack to pull out, then spin the tires slowly and let the tractor pull you. Once out, put the jeep in neutral and stop the tractor. Or just get a real tractor.

AggieTJ2007
07-28-2006, 10:31 PM
thats funny right there, I kinda like kopeki's way of doing it and as I am drunk I think it would be fun.

Now the real solution would be a bigger motor (460 or 454)

CheapJeep
07-28-2006, 11:46 PM
and axle's go KABOOM!!! That 258 tearsass though, it's not too bad. But really, when I decide to take some downtime and do a motor/trans swap I'll go one ton, that's a good while from now though.

See I would've tried Kopecki's idea but we have a J.D. 4400 with the wanker hydrostatic transmission so no go. Everytime I would try to back up the embankment it was so slick and steep I'd slide sideways back into the creek. Finally I managed to get the rearend partially up the bank then I just said fawk it and went for the tractor.

CheapJeep
07-29-2006, 12:08 AM
Forgot to mention I made a spacer for my drag link. Kind of janky but it works. Just cut a 2" piece of scrap tube, welded a washer on both ends, and voila... I guess I'm becoming somewhat of a joo these days, at least it looks good and functions correctly. :flipoff2:

agjohn02
07-29-2006, 03:11 AM
Forgot to mention I made a spacer for my drag link. Kind of janky but it works. Just cut a 2" piece of scrap tube, welded a washer on both ends, and voila... I guess I'm becoming somewhat of a joo these days, at least it looks good and functions correctly. :flipoff2:

sounds dangerous, no street time right? only a trial clogger from now on?

uglyota
07-29-2006, 09:26 AM
uhhhh...huhuhhhh...
is this going between the heim and steering arm?

CheapJeep
07-29-2006, 10:15 AM
Thanks, but it's a temporary fix until I get a flat top spacer.

AggieTJ2007
07-29-2006, 11:16 AM
was that scrap tube your chromoly or regular tube