PDA

View Full Version : new pictures of Gregs jeep

Broncocustom
09-16-2002, 08:37 PM
Here is the link to the pictures of Gregs jeep.
http://www.avalancheengineering.com/buggies/buildup_texas.htm

He said that he will be picking it up in two weekends.

redcagepatrol
09-16-2002, 08:45 PM
Should have it for Clayton. What a way to try it out. I am so ready to try and break it. Should be fine,

Scott

aggielr
09-16-2002, 09:10 PM
holy shiat, i'm jelous, that thing looks pretty damn nice, can't wait to see it in action

robertf03
09-16-2002, 09:12 PM
can someone upload a pic? my isp is being gay and won't let me see it

Jackasic
09-16-2002, 09:15 PM
I don't feel so bad about denting the scout after seeing this thing. Look closly at the passanger door and the hood.

http://www.avalancheengineering.com/buggies/ua_top_water.jpg

robertf03
09-16-2002, 09:17 PM
i said upload, not link.
still can't see it, now matter how I try to get there

its gotta be avalancheengr.com for me, not avalancheengineering.com

Jackasic
09-16-2002, 09:17 PM
another shoot from the other side.

http://www.avalancheengineering.com/buggies/Img05.jpg

redcagepatrol
09-16-2002, 09:19 PM
What trail is that? Is that a Ranger? Pretty bad a s s

Jackasic
09-16-2002, 09:20 PM
does this work?

http://www.avalancheengineering.com/buggies/Imgf0006.jpg

redcagepatrol
09-16-2002, 09:21 PM
last post cleared up the truck type, little too slow on the post

Jackasic
09-16-2002, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by redcagepatrol
What trail is that? Is that a Ranger? Pretty bad a s s

Ranger?!? That's an F250. Please put down the crack pipe and step back.:flipoff2:

JB
09-16-2002, 09:24 PM
http://www.avalancheengr.com/buggies/Imgf0006.jpg

Cajun
09-16-2002, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by robertf03
can someone upload a pic? my isp is being gay and won't let me see it

Seth
09-17-2002, 03:36 PM
So what exactly is the true purpose of a front hoop like on his jeep. An is that fourwheeler magazines superduty?
seth

Krawler68
09-17-2002, 03:51 PM
It's supposed to slow or halt an end over end rear rollover, and divert its force into a less violent sideways roll... I think it's supposed to stop endos too... Did I mention the look cool... I think my EB needs one... just have to figure out how to make it work.

Chadnutz
09-17-2002, 04:00 PM
The approach and dearture angles give me a hard on. I'll be in the bathroom for a while.

mark
09-17-2002, 04:21 PM
Thanks for sharing.

Krawler68
09-17-2002, 04:40 PM
What are you so excited about? It looks the same as every other Avalanche jeep...just yellow...

Cajun
09-17-2002, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Krawler68
What are you so excited about? It looks the same as every other Avalanche jeep...just yellow...

I'm not seeing the problem(other than the fact it's yellow)...

The purpose of a "stinger", as those hoops are called, is threefold. First, it will prevent an endo. Second, it protects the hood and radiator from being crushed in a roll. Lastly, and most predominantly in competition, it is a great leverage point for the spotter to attach a strap to. Also, I agree with Doug, they just plain look cool. While I don't see the Scout receiving one, the vision that is my CJ includes one. My only concern is that with the planned 110"ish wheelbase that the added length will get in the way on some of our wooded trails.

That thing is awesome. I don't particularly dig the cage design, but other than that I love the lines on it. Before it's untimely demise, I thought their "Bruiser" was the coolest CJ-buggy thing out there, and Greg's is just as cool. Congrats Greg, awesome ride.

Chadnutz
09-17-2002, 05:15 PM
I don't pay much attention to rigs that are build professionally / commercially, nor do I pay attention to their drivers. I think that super buggies like these make rock crawling too easy. How cool does your rig have to be before normal trails don't excite you anymore. Then you get bored with the normal trail runs and the people you have been wheeling with for a while. Then it seems like you run out of places to go and friends to trail with.

You always have to have the last word don't you...

Cajun
09-17-2002, 05:40 PM
I don't see it so much as making rockcrawling too easy, as much as it allows people to 'wheel places and trails once deemed "impassable." Plus, if you want to compete, this is pretty much what you need.

Also, while extra width is great for stability, it totally changes your line selection, thus changing your approach to virtually every obstacle on every trail that you've ever run before going full-width. As for getting bored with your 'wheeling buddies, why? If you suddenly think you're the coolest thing out there just because you've got a sweet rig, you're a dumba$$. Period. Chances are your 'wheeling buddies will drop you anyway.

If you're building a trail-only rig, why not go all out? Something that will dominate the trails that you normally run and be able to handle itself on any trail in the country. I know that's the goal with mine. I don't think many, if any, wheelers limit their build ups by thinking, "if I run these huge gnarly tires the it'll be too easy," or "Nah, that suspension will give me too much useable travel," or "Those lower gears will give me too much control, better leave those out." I know I'm not going to, and I think there's at least a couple around here that think the same way.

However, having said all this, driving skill is the single most important aspect. When it all comes down to it, no matter how bad a$$ your rig is, it won't drive itself.

Chadnutz
09-17-2002, 10:56 PM
You missed the point of my reply. You pay someone 50 grand to build a buggy that can walk over any trail that TAMOR will encounter. When does the rig become too capable? If you just sit behind the wheel and idle over everything without having to work the brakes here, the gas pedal there, what makes it a challenge. I've had to try to wheel open diffs and IFS for 5 years now, and I know that I am damn proud when I make it up something people don't think I can do. If I can jack off with one hand, read a book with the other, and steer with my knee while still making it across any obstacle out there how am I having fun.

Points of my argument:

Why pay someone else to build YOUR rig?
If you have the best rig around and you don't want to drop another $50,000 into it, when do you lose interest in the sport. When you can't get any better than you are now? When your rig can't get any better? When none of your friends can take your trails?

I am not trying to push my opinions on anyone. I was merely getting the idea out there. I respect the fact that you are building you own rig. This will always leave you with options of tinkering with it to make it better. Not having it as good as it will ever be right off the bad with no idea of how to improve it.

But then I could counter my argument and say that in 3 years no one has touched me in a race when I am on my Jet Ski yet I haven't gotten bored of punishing all who try to beat me.

Seth
09-17-2002, 10:58 PM
So whats the story with those axles, and is that wall on the first superduty pic as vert as it looks?
Seth

StevenAg03
09-17-2002, 11:54 PM
i dont know who mentioned it but gregs jeep does look strikingly simular to Bruiser....i like the jeep....there is always another step with a jeep...and everyother vehicle for that matter...Chadnutz are you seriously saying that if someone told you they would send your Mazda off to avalanche to be built you would tell them no???? if you would your not too bright...

if someone would do that for me id let em have it....then id prolly get something else to tinker on for several years. i could take my time building one and have a bad ass one to use the rest of the time...as a matter of fact that is what greg is doing....he has a TOY that he is building on his own....

robertf03
09-18-2002, 12:01 AM
for some, like myself, the fun is building it. Others just want to wheel it and not have to worry about a spring hanger falling off cause it was welded on in the driveway during a thunderstorm.

It looks cool, but its a single purpose vehicle. Even though I'll probably never drive the CJ on the highway again, I still want it to be able to handle that without drawing every cops attention.

Chadnutz
09-18-2002, 06:46 AM
Only if they buy be a crew cab deisel for the street! haha

Great point Steven.

Nutz

Cajun
09-18-2002, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by Seth
So whats the story with those axles, and is that wall on the first superduty pic as vert as it looks?
Seth

I'm sure someone will correct me, but I believe those axles are 9"/60 hybrids, all wrapped up in a custom chromoly housing. They use high pinion 3rd members and a combination of technology, black magic, and voodoo to make some very stout axles. Very cool stuff, but I'd have gone with the High Marks. Then again I'm just a sucker for portal axles;)

That wall is the exit on Upper Helldorado in Moab. I've never been there, but all the pics and video I've seen of it show it to be just about completely vertical. Maybe Doug can lend some first-hand knowledge as to its angle. While I don't think it has ever been driven without a winch, there was a rumor that a 'Mog did it a year or so ago during EJS.

Krawler68
09-18-2002, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by Chadnutz

You always have to have the last word don't you...
NO:D

Krawler68
09-18-2002, 07:47 AM
As for that wall...shiat...it's steep... wheelbase is the only thing that conquers it...I went and watched a few people hit it over the summer when I was in moab...damn... I don't think my EB will ever have a chance to climb something like that...

BTW... Chadnutz... quit being an idiot... you saying that you have "wheeled" your IFS rig is like me saying how many hardcore trails my Flowerjoke with 35's and a detroit locker has spanked ...

redcagepatrol
09-18-2002, 08:06 AM
Chadnutz,

As for Higgs having it too easy where "TAMOR" wheels: Obviously you have not been where we have - with Greg.

Places like Clayton, Disney, Farmington, Tellico, Las Cruses, Moab to name a few. There are plenty of obstacles on these trails that we had to winch up because nobody could make it. Now someone in our group might have a chance to make it up and winch us from the top...

Greg was getting tired of the Toyota's constantly showing him up, that is why he is building one at his house. The Jeep is at Avalance because his dad wants to be in a magazine (more or less)

One last thing: Andy is very right is saying that DRIVING SKILLs is truely all that matters on hard trails, not the truck - I have seen it time and time again and it is true

DRIVING SKILLS is all that matters

Krawler68
09-18-2002, 08:11 AM
Scott is Gay...:D

redcagepatrol
09-18-2002, 08:22 AM
Don't make me kick your A S S this weekend Dougiepoo

Krawler68
09-18-2002, 08:29 AM
Didn't we do that once already? I think your girlfriend was begging me not to hurt you... that was before a year of working a roustabout and handling a lot of pissy mexicans... :D

Chadnutz
09-18-2002, 09:20 AM
Doug: There can be a whole range of levels of wheeling. In my definition I would include anything from mudding with your high school friends to rock crawling championships. My truck has logged more off road miles that both of your vehicles combined so sit down until you give yourself room to talk. And when you do talk, learn to respond courteously instead of being such a prick.

Scott: I am referring to the new creation. I know his 2nd generation Jeep wasn't the greatest thing on Earth because I saw it wheel. Driving skills do account for a lot but I am almost positive that given your much greater amount of experience than me, I could go more places with his new "Jeep" than you could in your Toy. And I would say that I have a good amount of experience but I still can't get my damned truck to go very many tough places.

Cajun: Portal axles are $$ but aren't they like $10,500 starting from Avalanche? EACH?

Doug, go ahead and smart off...

Krawler68
09-18-2002, 09:30 AM
Doug: blah blah blah ... My truck has logged more off road miles that both of your vehicles combined so sit down until you give yourself room to talk... blah blah blah

Doug, go ahead and smart off...

I really don't think there's anything for me to reply to... you're obviously delusional. :D

Doug "The Prick" Kiesewetter

StevenAg03
09-18-2002, 10:00 AM
Scott: I am referring to the new creation. I know his 2nd generation Jeep wasn't the greatest thing on Earth because I saw it wheel. Driving skills do account for a lot but I am almost positive that given your much greater amount of experience than me, I could go more places with his new "Jeep" than you could in your Toy. And I would say that I have a good amount of experience but I still can't get my damned truck to go very many tough places.

tell me your joking around right....the problem with the yellow jeep was not its lack of potential, but gregs nerviousness. ever since the roll, greg has been really scared to get it awn like he used to. in addition, you prolly couldnt get his jeep started with all your offroading experience...:D

mark
09-18-2002, 10:07 AM
Why pay someone else to build YOUR rig?

Its a good option if you don't have the time but have the money. This is especially true if someone else can do it to your standards and more quickly (not sure if Avalanche counts on the second point).

If you build it yourself, be proud of it. But don't hassle others who pay to get things done for them. It wont make your stuff any better.

I personally don't have the time to work on my stuff right now nor the money to have it done for me. But I am getting there...

Krawler68
09-18-2002, 10:11 AM
you ever get the salary position Mark?

as for paying somebody to build your rig... like mark and willie said... if you've got the money honey, and I ain't got the time, we'll take our **** to the shop and then we'll have a good time...

Cajun
09-18-2002, 11:00 AM

Cajun: Portal axles are $$ but aren't they like $10,500 starting from Avalanche? EACH?

Yes, they are. However, judging from the other components that were chosen, cost dosen't seem to be the governing factor in parts selection.

robertf03
09-18-2002, 11:08 AM

as for paying somebody to build your rig... like mark and willie said... if you've got the money honey, and I ain't got the time, we'll take our **** to the shop and then we'll have a good time...

beautiful doug, rhyming "time" with "time"

redcagepatrol
09-18-2002, 11:27 AM
Scott: Driving skills do account for a lot but I am almost positive that given your much greater amount of experience than me, I could go more places with his new "Jeep" than you could in your Toy. And I would say that I have a good amount of experience but I still can't get my damned truck to go very many tough places.

What makes his truck that much more capaple than the Toy???? an inch or so more ground clearance and alot more weight??? I really doubt it. I would love to prove to you that Driving Skill (especially in Rock Crawling) is ALL that matters once you get past 35" tires. I know that with your rock crawling experience and lockers that you would either roll the rig or just not make it up and over the obstacle. 42's spin on rock just like any other tire if it's not in the right place.

Just a reminder, 37" tires on light rigs pretty much always win the competions, not the 44's or bigger

Seth
09-18-2002, 11:32 AM
So where is Higgs in all this discussion? It's a nice rig, if i had the chance i would do the same i think. Plus more ***. Just think of the toys you could buy. And Scott -- how is this new frame and body effecting the weight of your rig? All for now.
Seth

redcagepatrol
09-18-2002, 11:35 AM
Higgs is not on the forum... yet at least

the new body / frame should be less than the old truck

mark
09-18-2002, 11:39 AM

Still working in Houston for KBR. But I am flying to DC tomorrow for an interview for a spot in another division.

-Mark

BigRedFord04
09-18-2002, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by StevenAg03
you prolly couldnt get his jeep started with all your offroading experience...:D

ROTFLMFAO....hahahahahaha....cibolo creek....hahahaha....

Krawler68
09-18-2002, 11:48 AM
I was just wondering when somebody OTHER than me was going to call Chadwell on the whole "experience" thing...

Scott... I think my Grandmom could make greg's rig go places your ol' toy couldn't go... :D Hell i bet her Camry could go places your Toy couldn't go... :D

And I think you should dispell the whole "my old Toy was light" myth...that thing was a tank... you had EVRYTHING on it...and that exo cage weighed it down even more. Maybe it will be light now... but in the past it was mighty chunky for being a Toy.

As for light weight winning comps...let's not get into this conversation or we'll notice a trend in TAMOR of everybody building Sami's... :D Competition performance is a different animal than trail performance... trails aren't always verticle climbs and v-notches... I would HATE to see some of these lightweight rigs make a day or week of trails in Colorado or Las Cruces...
The fact is that what we do is different than what they do, and I try not to compare them anymore... I just steal ideas from their shiat... here's to fawkers who experiment with hydro suspension so i don't have to... :D

Chadnutz
09-18-2002, 12:01 PM
Did mine not start at Cibilo or was that his? Mine has some sort of ignition problem where when I turn the key it just clicks. You might say it is the solenoid, but I've replaced it. You might say it is the starter, but I replaced that and it came with another new solenoid. It is something between the key and the solenoid I think.

Only once has it failed me no matter how many times I turned the key so I had my ex come give me a good yank ;) with a strap and it roll started.

All very good points. This is another time when I can put my foot in my mouth for spamming my opinions, but I will still put my off road miles up against Dougs. You've wheeled the Bronco what, once? No, neighborhood parks and trees don't count.

And Scott, look at his approach and departure angles, the reliability of the drivetrain, and countless other cool, but overprices mods on it. Both front and rear tires are pretty much behind or in front of (respectively) the chassis and body.

BigRedFord04
09-18-2002, 12:04 PM
...so I had my ex come give me a good yank ;)

I got a good yank too...:D

BigRedFord04
09-18-2002, 12:06 PM
cool, but overprices mods on it

they're only overpriced b.c. YOU cant afford it...quit bein' jealous, you're smelling the place up

Krawler68
09-18-2002, 12:06 PM
I would venture to say that my three trips out in my bronco (Moab, Alto, San Angelo) put more offroad miles than your mazda has seen... but I actually wasn't speaking to my trail rig... I have wheeled the powerstroke more than I should which is A LOT (Dunes to Slickrock to Mountain trails to good ol' mud whompin').

As for the other comment... overpriced mods? I imagine they probably cut greg a pretty good deal on stuff seeing as what a good cutomer he is... just because you can't afford them doesn't mean they're overpriced.

Krawler68
09-18-2002, 12:07 PM
Damn beat me to it Austin... but it gave me this prime opportunity for a pad... :D

BigRedFord04
09-18-2002, 12:10 PM
you need to put that pad in your panties

Krawler68
09-18-2002, 12:16 PM
That was grosssss... ewww

StevenAg03
09-18-2002, 02:19 PM

gregs not getting portal axles so why does the price of them matter....also as far as weather or not your mazda starts everytime has nothing to do with this thread....when i said you couldnt get into the JEEP and start it...i didnt mean your mazda...i meant the JEEP....

BMFScout
09-18-2002, 04:02 PM
It uses a locker derived from a wrecked UFO, it actually has kryptonite Klutches, and depleted uranium cross shafts, keep your pacemaker away from it and wear lead suits when servicing...

Krawler68
09-18-2002, 04:43 PM
I think ti would have proven to be VERY complicated to go to portals on his basically stock jeep design frame... the tubes are 5-6" higher than on a regular axle and his roll-center would have been crazy high... this is the main reason I decided to avoid portal axles in my research for a HD option on my EB... I would however like to go portal if I ever do a tube chassis buggy.

Cajun
09-18-2002, 04:53 PM
I don't see why portals on a "conventional" frame would be that complicated. As for a high roll center and COG, these can be avoided by limiting suspension uptravel. This allows for a great deal of controlled droop as well as keeping overall vehicle height low for the sake of stability. The EB buggy in TTC is a perfect example of this building philosophy, and it performs quite well.

Krawler68
09-18-2002, 04:59 PM
The Eb buggy at TTC also has a notched tube fram that keeps the COG VERY low... the TIBUS K-5 blazer on Mog axles is what I'm talking about and the last thing i want... that thing was forking TALL... Jophn Reynold's EB was about a foot lower than ANY of the other competitiors because of his notched frame design... it allows the axles more uptravel. Another problem on MANY rigs with portals... the axle WILL hit the oil pan if you keep the lift too low...so either move the axle WAYYYY forwards or keep it high...

Cajun
09-18-2002, 08:25 PM
Notched frame or not, JR's buggy dosen't have much uptravel. Look at the coilovers when it's on level ground, they're nearly fully compressed.

BigRedFord04
09-18-2002, 08:33 PM
yeah...so there...take that doggie poo

Cajun
09-18-2002, 08:44 PM
http://home.earthlink.net/~enghorn/_uimages/undressed.jpg

http://64.14.193.106/p162932_image_large.jpg

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not seeing a notched frame in either of those pics. What I am seeing in the second one is a pair of bumpstops that are awfully close to the axle while the vehicle is on level ground.;)

Krawler68
09-18-2002, 10:58 PM
Take a look at the frame when it was bare... it has a definite "notch" in the front of the engine compartment and a big "notch in the rer by the "bed"... he and I discussed this design in detail when Eric Filar first posted pics of it.

I was curious as to how it worked...so he was gracious enough to explain.

BigRedFord04
what are you f*ckers talkin' about...theres no "frame" on that thing

Krawler68
BTW I love how he put a sway-bar on the rear of that rig and NEVER takes it off... kind a break from convention huh?

davido
10-15-2002, 12:18 AM
Is this thing home yet? ~dso

redcagepatrol
10-15-2002, 07:42 PM
Nope,
just talked to Greg, he is still "waiting on an axleshaft", but once they get it in, it will be done that day. He has been "waiting on the axleshaft" for about a month now. He really hates Avalanche now.

Krawler68
10-16-2002, 07:57 AM
I think he should throw the avalnche jeep in the gutter and head to Fat City and have eric filar build it... :FLIPOFF2:

redcagepatrol
10-29-2002, 02:30 PM
GREG WILL BE GETTING THE HEEP THIS WEEKEND!!!!

He is leaving thursday night...

They said that they have the tracking number for the axle shafts ( in the mail) - sure does take along time...

davido
11-11-2002, 05:25 PM
OK, where is it??