PDA

View Full Version : Engine Noise, miss, etc.

Seth
04-15-2002, 05:07 PM
Well I have had this noise coming from my engine for a while. Just wondering if there were any ideas about what it might be. It is a fairly consistent knock/tick noise. 99% sure that it is not an exhaust leak or any kind of valve clatter. Also at highway speeds sometimes it gets a miss that you can feel pretty strong in the truck. I am thinking it is a stuck lifter. I have tried pouring three different things in the crank case to unstick it withouy tearing into the motor (gunk stuff, chemtool stuff, and phillips 66 trop art with some other stuff i cant member the name of right now) Anybody have any other ideas of what the problem could be? Or how hard this is to fix if I have to take the manifold off? It is a 95 ford, 351, 113000 miles. Thanks.

StevenAg03
04-15-2002, 11:31 PM
have you tried making sure that the plugs and wires are good....my wires go bad pretty often cause the headers melt them and the spark goes straight through to the closest piece of metal....when it is missing it doesnt do it all the time but it seems to do it more under a load(ie the highway)

Seth
04-15-2002, 11:37 PM
I need to check my plugs (and wires while i am there) I replaced the wires within the last couple years so they SHOULD be ok. no headers either. big problem with that though is even if it fixes the miss -- what is the noise? Thanks
Seth

StevenAg03
04-15-2002, 11:57 PM
when the spark arks through the wire and onto the header(in my case) it makes noise....it sounds like an exhaust leak....

i thought you were supposed to change wires bout as often as an oil change.....well i do anyway...

BigRedFord04
04-16-2002, 12:01 AM
Seth, my truck was doing the same thing about a month ago. I changed the fuel filter and it quit. Might wanna try that if you havent done it recently. I've got the special tool if you wanna borrow it.

Seth
04-16-2002, 12:11 AM
Never thought about that Steven -- also Austin i would like to do that either way cuz it looks like a good ol motorcraft part from the factory Thanks --
Seth