PDA

View Full Version : new 07 tahoe

Jackasic
09-26-2005, 09:47 AM
http://www.chevrolet.com/tahoe/2007/

Fredo
09-26-2005, 09:52 AM
kinda up in the air on that one.....I like some of it, but not all of it. Just not as good of a look as the current style. I'm curious to what it will look like in suburban wheelbase.

StevenAg03
09-26-2005, 10:54 AM
i like it but i think it looks a lot like the current expeditions...

stx4wheeler
09-26-2005, 11:31 AM
oh gooorsh that thing has an ugly frontal view. the old ones look much better than that.

StevenAg03
09-26-2005, 12:50 PM
yeah but it doesnt look quite as bad as the front of the new dodge trucks....they look like the new dakotas...

davido
09-26-2005, 01:38 PM
I like the exterior. Tough looking! It's a combination of the current tahoe and pickup front clip. Harder lines than the current tahoe, but much softer than the pickups (which I don't think have been all that popular). My largest area of concern is the interior. I really like the current one, but the new one seems to be a lot like a Dodge, which I don't particularly like (one of my main reasons for not buying one). Suddenly white face gauges standard is not a good idea.

http://www.truckworld.com/Truck-Tests/04-4way/Dodge-Ram-Driver's-Side.jpg

It looks like they have added even more controls to the steering wheel which is cool. Seems like other trucks have really lagged behind on that. It's probably one of the most missed features when I drive other vehicles. Usually all they have is cruise (if that), having radio controls is great.

davido
09-26-2005, 01:43 PM
Actaully, after finding more pictures of it, it doesn't look bad at all. Outside of a lot of wasted space on the sides, I like that to. Check our more info here: http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20089
I like it with the buckets on the second row. Make the 3rd row much easier to use by adults.

bburris
09-26-2005, 02:42 PM
It looks like the front clip of the Canyon or Colorado or whatever that gay pseudo-mini truck is called. Fugly. The rest of the body looks good, though.

Dave - have you driven a 05 or newer F-series truck? There are about twice as many buttons on the steering wheel as any Chevy I've seen...

JeepPhisherman
09-26-2005, 03:27 PM
I dont think the new interior looks like a dodge at all. I like the black guages and overall minimalist look

edit: wow that pic was big
http://www.gminsidenews.com/naias/GMT900/Tahoe/005.jpg

davido
09-26-2005, 03:56 PM
No, I haven't driven a new F150, I was only searching for a 3/4 or more. I was mostly speaking to the center of the dash cluster/pod. Side by side, not so much.

Fredo
09-26-2005, 03:57 PM
man, looking at the high res version of that interior shot...gm really stepped up the quality of the interior components. The Center navigation/radio/everything else pod reminded me of a newer land rover.

Fredo
09-26-2005, 04:10 PM
you know, the more I look at that thing, the better I like it. Looking at it in this picture, I bet that thing would look badass in Black.

davido
09-26-2005, 04:21 PM
I know what you mean. When the 03 trucks came out, I was pissed because I liked the 02 HD so much, but it grew on me. I think peak power is listed online (at 8 cyl), but I wonder what kind of highway MPG it gets (at 4 cyl). I really like that idea.

Fredo
09-26-2005, 04:42 PM
not to offend you david, but I still hate the way the 03-up pickups look. This front end is how they should have done it.

agjohn02
09-26-2005, 05:12 PM
anyone know how that displacement on demand works? seems like it would be pretty negligable unless the valves deactivate. its still a pushrod valvetrain isnt it?

jerryg79
09-26-2005, 05:18 PM
anyone know how that displacement on demand works? seems like it would be pretty negligable unless the valves deactivate. its still a pushrod valvetrain isnt it?

i was wondering the same thing...Fred?

agjohn02
09-26-2005, 05:27 PM
:flipoff2: :flipoff2: give him a minute to look it up on the internet. then he'll chime in. :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

agjohn02
09-26-2005, 05:37 PM
uh-oh, beat ya to it, but i still dont know how it does it. solenoid driven valves?

Enabled by GM's powerful electronic powertrain controls, Displacement on Demand saves fuel by using only half of the engine's cylinders during most normal driving conditions. When loads are light, the control system automatically closes both intake and exhaust valves for half of the cylinders, cutting off their air and fuel supply. The fuel supply resumes and the valves are reopened to provide all-cylinder operation when the driver needs it for quick acceleration or for hauling heavy loads.

BMFScout
09-26-2005, 05:42 PM
I don't know how it works but I know fred does without looking on the internet, he has been talking about it for months. They did it back in the day but it sucked, you're not supposed to be able to even tell this one deactivates cylinders.

uglyota
09-26-2005, 05:46 PM
not to offend you david, but I still hate the way the 03-up pickups look. This front end is how they should have done it.
I like the 'chevy scowl'
this thing looks like just another SUV

agjohn02
09-26-2005, 05:51 PM
all you need to know...

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/0405phr_gmdod/

Fredo
09-26-2005, 05:52 PM
It's been a couple months since I read the article on it in Engine Masters, but from what I remember, it is all dependent on the lifters. It's got this oil passage control manifold thing that is in the lifter valley cover and basically what it does is shut off the high pressure oil supply to certain lifters. It still has a low pressure trickle but it doesn't allow enough valve lift for operation of that cylinder. To keep the lifters in place it has low tension springs to keep the lifters from floating out of the bore when they are inactive. Besides that, it shuts off the fuel injectors to those cylinders.

I may have not gotten all of that correct, or forgot something, but I've drank a lot of beer and slept since I read that article.

Matt Conlee
09-26-2005, 06:01 PM
every time chevy comes out with a new body people ***** but give it a few weeks and you will probably like it more. Unless you are one of those people who lack taste and think dodge has done a good job styling there trucks. :flipoff2:

agjohn02
09-26-2005, 06:04 PM
It's been a couple months since I read the article on it in Engine Masters, but from what I remember, it is all dependent on the lifters. It's got this oil passage control manifold thing that is in the lifter valley cover and basically what it does is shut off the high pressure oil supply to certain lifters. It still has a low pressure trickle but it doesn't allow enough valve lift for operation of that cylinder. To keep the lifters in place it has low tension springs to keep the lifters from floating out of the bore when they are inactive. Besides that, it shuts off the fuel injectors to those cylinders.

I may have not gotten all of that correct, or forgot something, but I've drank a lot of beer and slept since I read that article.

when i started reading i figured the same thing. interesting that the high pressure oil de-activates the lifter. i guess this is a failsafe so that if the DOD system fails the lifters will be stuck in v8 mode rather than the other way around.

Fredo
09-26-2005, 06:28 PM
when i started reading i figured the same thing. interesting that the high pressure oil de-activates the lifter. i guess this is a failsafe so that if the DOD system fails the lifters will be stuck in v8 mode rather than the other way around.

oh yeah, it is the other way around isn't it. I had forgot about that. Good failsafe though.

davido
09-26-2005, 10:03 PM

No offense taken. Not my favorite either, but it still beats the hell out of the alternative.

davido
09-26-2005, 10:07 PM
every time chevy comes out with a new body people ***** but give it a few weeks and you will probably like it more. Unless you are one of those people who lack taste and think dodge has done a good job styling there trucks. :flipoff2:

Ohhhhhhh! Two SNAPS up for Conlee. :gigem:

JB
09-26-2005, 11:22 PM
It looks like the front clip of the Canyon or Colorado or whatever that gay pseudo-mini truck is called. Fugly. The rest of the body looks good, though.

Dave - have you driven a 05 or newer F-series truck? There are about twice as many buttons on the steering wheel as any Chevy I've seen...

Aren't the buttons on the back of the wheel? My 04 doesn't have any, but I wish it did. I thnk only the lariats and fx4s got that option

agjohn02
09-26-2005, 11:33 PM
No offense taken. Not my favorite either, but it still beats the hell out of the alternative.

seconded

bburris
09-26-2005, 11:59 PM
Aren't the buttons on the back of the wheel? My 04 doesn't have any, but I wish it did. I thnk only the lariats and fx4s got that option
No, my brother has a 2005 F350 FX4 Lariat and it has the same radio controls that my Chevy has, plus the controls for the 6 disc CD changer, the primary a/c controls and the cruise control crap that Ford has put on the steering wheel since ~95.

Graystroke
09-27-2005, 12:02 AM
I'm guessing, something w/ oil pressure... they like to use this sort of thing like on the trailblazer motor's variable valve timing

agjohn02
09-27-2005, 12:03 AM
the z06 has that variable valve timing too

its cool they're using oil pressure to run this stuff. its a source of energy thats already there.

tigweld
09-27-2005, 07:55 AM
are u sure bout the variable cam timing on vettes, I don't remember reading that. I don't think it would work on a single cam motor, being gm's version is only a hydrostaticly controlled cam gear. If it worked like honda's vtech i could easily see it on a vette, but I don't think they changed the valvetrain enough to incorperate this. I could be wrong though.

Fredo
09-27-2005, 09:17 AM
Where did you see that John? I've read a lot on the new ZO6 and don't remember variable valve timing anywhere in there. Now they do have a variable backpressure exhaust system for less restriction at WOT.

StevenAg03
09-27-2005, 09:25 AM
...cruise control crap that Ford has put on the steering wheel since ~95.

my 86 has the cruise control on the steering wheel....fawkin chevy owners :flipoff2:

Fredo
09-27-2005, 09:49 AM
my 86 has the cruise control on the steering wheel....fawkin chevy owners :flipoff2:

Don't be jealous just because ford owners are retarded and can't operate a set of cruise controls on the turn signal switch. :flipoff2:

jerryg79
09-27-2005, 09:50 AM
Don't be jealous just because ford owners are retarded and can't operate a set of cruise controls on the turn signal switch. :flipoff2:

I loved that on the red rocket, On the steering wheel sucks, I cant mult-task :D

StevenAg03
09-27-2005, 11:47 AM

i beg to differ with your statement....i have used the cruise control on my sisters truck more then once now... :flipoff2:

StevenAg03
09-27-2005, 11:48 AM
I loved that on the red rocket, On the steering wheel sucks, I cant mult-task :D

WTF???to operate chevy cruise means you remove your hand from the steering wheel...on fords you simply move your hands around the steering wheel....no multitasking... :gigem:

jerryg79
09-27-2005, 11:53 AM
I drive with my right arm on top of the steering wheel. Other arm can operate the cruise control mounted on blinker. Otherwise right arm must come down to 10&2 and push buttons. my new truck has the buttons on the steering wheel., and dodge put all the buttons wierd. set and decel should be the same button, but they put on/off and set on one side and decel/accel on the other.

agjohn02
09-27-2005, 12:58 PM
Where did you see that John? I've read a lot on the new ZO6 and don't remember variable valve timing anywhere in there. Now they do have a variable backpressure exhaust system for less restriction at WOT.

now that i think about it , im not sure at all about that. i thought i read it abou the z06 but on second thought it could be the trailblazer engine grayson was talking about. dont even remember where i read about it. hot rod magazine maybe, somewhat recently.

tigweld
09-27-2005, 02:12 PM
Gm doesn't have variable valve timing, just the variable cam timing sprocket thingy. Gm needs to figure out a way to integrate the japs vtech design, tha'd be friggin' awesome. Vhe variable exhaust restrictors on the z06 would probably get dropped of in a trash can somewhere on the way home from the dealer if I had one, seems way to yuppie for my taste.

agjohn02
09-27-2005, 03:11 PM
im pretty sure i remember it being GM and varaible valve, or cam, cant remember, timing. ill look for it when i get off work.

agjohn02
09-27-2005, 03:30 PM
aha, its was the LC3 in the new caddy STS-V. PIMP.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/enginemasters/articles/cadillac/0504em_cady/index.html

tigweld
09-27-2005, 03:38 PM
valve timing and cam timing are 2 different things, variable valve timing being much more involved. to put variable valve timing the valvetrain would have to completely change, there would be a need for more lobes on the cam or some crazy rocker arms and pushrods. the variable cam timing stuff looks like it could easily be adapted to a cam-in-block design. this is all just my thoughts after learning how the different oem's have done it, they could always come up with some crazy new design that would just blow my mind, but I really thing all this jazz is unneeded on a zo6. the low end grunt that all this stuff brings is already there, 427 cubic inches.

agjohn02
09-27-2005, 03:40 PM
valve timing and cam timing are 2 different things, variable valve timing being much more involved. to put variable valve timing the valvetrain would have to completely change, there would be a need for more lobes on the cam or some crazy rocker arms and pushrods. the variable cam timing stuff looks like it could easily be adapted to a cam-in-block design. this is all just my thoughts after learning how the different oem's have done it, they could always come up with some crazy new design that would just blow my mind, but I really thing all this jazz is unneeded on a zo6. the low end grunt that all this stuff brings is already there, 427 cubic inches.

see above post to understand why i was confused. it was BOTH.

tigweld
09-27-2005, 03:49 PM
aha, its was the LC3 in the new caddy STS-V. PIMP.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/enginemasters/articles/cadillac/0504em_cady/index.html

it still doesn't change the lift or duration of the cam, only the overlap and timing in realation to the crankshaft, nothing new or groundbreaking.

Fredo
09-27-2005, 03:50 PM
The variable exhaust restrictors on the z06 would probably get dropped of in a trash can somewhere on the way home from the dealer if I had one, seems way to yuppie for my taste.

Nah, they just need to be fixed so they are in full "muffler bypass mode" :D

agjohn02
09-27-2005, 03:53 PM
it still doesn't change the lift or duration of the cam, only the overlap and timing in realation to the crankshaft, nothing new or groundbreaking.

maybe not but you cant say that isnt an impressive engine, and variable overlap and cam timing is very ground breaking in a GM V8.

tigweld
09-27-2005, 03:54 PM
see above post to understand why i was confused. it was BOTH.

but that's imposible with only a cam gear. if it is I wanna know how the cam gear affects the duration and lift of cam, that's a new one to me.

agjohn02
09-27-2005, 03:57 PM
it doesnt, but as far as GM V8's go, overlap is valve timing, not cam timing. thats why i called it both. its no vtec, but its getting there.

tigweld
09-27-2005, 04:02 PM
maybe not but you cant say that isnt an impressive engine, and variable overlap and cam timing is very ground breaking in a GM V8.

the same technology has been available in the trailblazers inline 6 since they came to market a couple of years ago. the 440hp daddy is a very impressive engine, the intercooler tubes are real cool, but caddy had to do something the n/a northstar is kinda a dog compared to the other oem's performance luxury platforms.

agjohn02
09-27-2005, 04:12 PM
the trailblazer is GM's production test stand. they've had DOD for a year already as an option. i foresee VVT in caddies in the near future. its the only platform thats practical to implement it in.

tigweld
09-27-2005, 04:16 PM
caddy is behind (but catching fast) when you look at the other foreign performace luxury sedans, guranteed new caddy performace stuff will be comming out, should be neat.

Fredo
09-27-2005, 04:28 PM
caddy racing is helping the drive and determination to make the cars better....it doesn't hurt to have two identical CTS-V Race cars ripping everybody a new areshole every weekend in SCCA Pro-Series. :gigem: