PDA

View Full Version : tires - prices & sizes

CRaSHnBuRN
09-28-2005, 12:03 PM
Okay, just doing a little research and dreaming here, in case I can't repair the 36 tsl I flattened on the way home from 47.

Option 1 is just to replace the damaged tire. This is the cheapest option. But who has the best prices on new swampers? (local or on the internet)

Option 2. Sell the remaining three tires, and get a new set. I kinda like this since I want bigger tires anyway (who doesn't?). What kind of tire do I get? Several kinds of swampers (tsl, irok, sx) in the 37-40in range immediately come to mind. But once again, where do I get them for the best price?

What other options do I have for a tire in the 37-40in range with a 15 inch rim? I know there are alot of new types hitting the market, but most seem really expensive. Any ideas?

TxCruzr
09-28-2005, 12:19 PM
Where ever you get them, make sure you can get a warrenty so you don't have to go through this again - Discount, 4WheelParts, Tirerack maybe.
The new PitBull tires look pretty good and have been getting real good reviews but I think they might be a little on the expensive side. Also like the maxxis Mudgrappler I think. Guy back home has a set of 37s and they're a great tire but expensive again. Probably can't beat 37" iroks for price and traction though. I've always like the sx's too, its a challenge to puncture their sidewall.

uglyota
09-28-2005, 12:43 PM
you could go for Travis's 38s

RCcola55
09-28-2005, 01:30 PM
BFG Krawlers.... :gigem:

tigweld
09-28-2005, 02:01 PM
fawk swampers :flipoff2: krawlers or mtr's are the way to go

texasxj
09-28-2005, 02:05 PM
nitto muds, iroks or krawlers

AggieTJ2007
09-28-2005, 02:30 PM
go with the IROKs

CRaSHnBuRN
09-28-2005, 02:34 PM
No MTRs, I have never been impressed with them. Most of the pitbulls seem really wide, which I don't know if I like. I do like the maxxis ones with the crazy sidewalls, but they seem really expensive. Krawlers are smokin, but out of my price range and would require a rim size change. Don't know much about the nitto's, but they look expensive. Swampers have always treated me good, and seem to be decently priced. I'd go with the irok in a second, but thier tread seems really shallow. I want 40in tsls, but they may be overkill. 38 sx's seem like they would match my rig well. I dunno. Hopefully I'll get a chance in the next few days to try to fix my 36, and that will determine where I go from here

TxCruzr
09-28-2005, 02:45 PM
I know that on some of the irok sizes they now have a thicker tread depth...I think the 37 might be one of them. Its also a true 37. You have 30spline longs in the front now dont you? So the front won't be a problem no matter what size you go to, except for maybe 53s ;) Is the rear still stock shafts or cromos?

ishbo03
09-28-2005, 02:57 PM
i had 35 x 15.5 tsl sx on my blazer and i liked them alot. didnt use them on rocks though, just trails and mud. 4wp used to have them for like $220 i think but you're looking to go bigger than i did so the price will change obviously.

stx4wheeler
09-28-2005, 03:30 PM
i would buy travis's 38 sx's, i got my new 38 tsl's without warranty from 4wp for like 800 shipped to my door, i would say iroks though if i were you.

CRaSHnBuRN
09-28-2005, 03:33 PM
what size tsls are you running (the narrow or wide 38s?)? As for buying Travis's, I may look into that. The only problem is I'm trying to con my parents into paying for most of the cost as a early christmas+birthday present, so it most likely will have to go on a credit card

CRaSHnBuRN
09-28-2005, 03:38 PM
Yeah, I'm running the 30 spline longs, as well as a FJ-80 high pinion diff, and I crawl everything, so I could most likely get away with a 42 if I wanted to. The rear R&P is my current weak link in my opinion, but is still prety strong, and I'm not to worried about the rear shafts.

BMFScout
09-28-2005, 03:41 PM
I think the beauty of your rig is the simplicity and reliability. I wouldn't go too big even though it is light, just more headaches on the trail. Have you been limited by your tire size yet?

uglyota
09-28-2005, 03:43 PM
he's just sick of people asking him why he only went with 33s on his buggy :D

CRaSHnBuRN
09-28-2005, 03:45 PM
he's just sick of people asking him why he only went with 33s on his buggy :D

Sadly he's right. everyone walks up to it and say, damn those are some little tires, maybe you should get some 35s.

CRaSHnBuRN
09-28-2005, 03:48 PM
As for being limited, a little bigger tire would give me a little more breakover which would be nice, since I drag the belly alot. I'd also like it for the little increase in approach angle, since I seem to ram that front crossmember into everything. (I'm gonna try moving my front axle forward some as well)

stx4wheeler
09-28-2005, 04:20 PM
mine are 38x12.5x15 inch rim, tsls i got them to ship them to me free thats partially why i got them cheap, but like every two weeks they do the free shipping thing.

CRaSHnBuRN
09-28-2005, 04:23 PM
I'm curious how tall they are? I've always heard the skinny 38s never really measure even close to 38

CRaSHnBuRN
09-28-2005, 04:25 PM
another thing I wonder is whether tire prices will keep climbing, or if they'll drop when all this mess with the hurricanes is fixed.

You know what, that brings up a curious thought. Interco is in Louisiana, right? I wonder how they fared

BMFScout
09-28-2005, 04:44 PM
remember that the bigger the tire the taller the COG, another cool part about the lil bastard.

Cody_91YJ
09-28-2005, 04:47 PM
i'd go with Iroks, they grip, they are cheap, and they actually measure up to their rated size. The newer ones do have thicker tread depth if thats what your really worried about it.

CRaSHnBuRN
09-28-2005, 04:59 PM
remember that the bigger the tire the taller the COG, another cool part about the lil bastard.

I think one thing we learned while trying to flip the buggy this weekend is that the COG is insanely low, so I don't think an inch or so of more height it gonna be a killer.

Okay, for the people voting for the irok, here is a few questions I have about them. I hear they are made from a really soft compund, which is why the stick so well. How is that compound holding up to the granite at mason? I know I tore huge chunks out of my old SSRs up there. The other question I have is the physical differences between the 36's and the 37s. By readin the specs, it looks like the 36 is larger overall yet cheaper then the 37. Why even come out with a 37 then? Do the 37s have the deeper tread?

Oh yeah, if I seem to be asking alot of questions, its because I'm bored and really don't want to study for my strength of materials test tommorow

Cody_91YJ
09-28-2005, 05:05 PM
they do have a softer compound and did very well at Katemcy and everywhere else I've had em so far. They didn't chunk this time out there, but I wouldn't rule it out completely once they get more torn up

Its been a while since I did much research on them, but my understanding is that the 36s & 37s are about the same height (my 36s measured the same as a 37 mtr), but the 37s have a slightly deeper tread

TxCruzr
09-28-2005, 05:21 PM
I think if you go to Katemcy much then iroks won't last long. If you remember shain's sx's and how bad they were torn up, granted he is out there nearly everyweekend but they are a hard tire.
The 38x14.5's are taller than the 38x12.5s

stx4wheeler
09-28-2005, 05:26 PM
i think my 38's measured like 37.5 or 37.7 either way its close enough for me.

Cody_91YJ
09-28-2005, 05:28 PM
I think if you go to Katemcy much then iroks won't last long. If you remember shain's sx's and how bad they were torn up, granted he is out there nearly everyweekend

well yea, as much as he's out there, none of his tires last very long

eight
09-28-2005, 06:33 PM
You really think you'll wear out tires? I'm currently liking 38 x 15 TSL radials, but if I had to pay for tires and get them new, they'd be 39" IROKs or 38 x 12.5 TSLs. What'd you do to your tire to ruin it? If it's just a big hole a farm tire place can probably patch it. And I've patched pretty good sized holes myself with patch/plugs.

CRaSHnBuRN
09-28-2005, 07:06 PM
Like I said, I'm not positive anything is wrong with the tire. I just can't seem to get it to reseat and seal right now. After I get that done, I'll inspect it for other leaks and holes.

As for why I posted this thread. I've been dreaming of bigger tires for a while now, and felt like discussing it. I was planning on trying to get a bigger set around christmas if I could sell enough stuff to afford it. Plus like I said, my BD and christmas is coming up, so I figured, why not start researching

CRaSHnBuRN
09-28-2005, 07:13 PM
plus, with all these new kinds of tires being released, I wanted to see if there was anything new out there I had missed.

eight
09-28-2005, 07:26 PM
Put silicon on the bead.

CRaSHnBuRN
09-28-2005, 07:36 PM
that is in the plan, and I think may also be part of the problem. When I popped the bead completly off with the hilift, I noticed there was some silicon on other parts of the bead, but not much in the area where it was currently leaking air (about a 6 inch wide area). But I have to wait til this weekend for some more free time to go out there and try to reseat and seal it.