PDA

View Full Version : spring is almost here-leaf springs anyway!!!

texasxj
09-29-2005, 05:01 PM
Ok guys help me out a little here. My 14 is almost ready to bolt up so its time to get serious about springs.
Vehicle-84 2 door xj
350/TH350/NP231
Front-dana 44-IP
rear axle-14ff-456s welded DBC
Tire size-35-37.
Front lift-7.5 rubi coils<-- :-))) or 9" rustys <-- :-(((
Rear-shooting for 6-8"
Q=question

Original Plans-Alcan 6" + extra height for 500#(7"-load around 200??) or 8" with no weight. +Chevy lowering shackles. Reinforced hangers etc.

I want longer springs for more flex and move the axle back a hair. Dont have much room to move axle without getting rid of what is left of my fenders.
I can also take the tubs out since they have started to seperate from the fender but I dont want the fender flapping in the breeze.
I didnt measure my stock spring length so I am a little lost on orig length.
Q=What was my stock length?

Plan B-56" rear springs with an AAL or 2 and a 4" shackle flip. Like i said I want to move the axle back a hair. Reinforced hangers and shackle mount.
I would rather go this route because of cost. And springs would be ready to wheel-not so stiff as new springs.
Q=How much will the 56" springs move the axle back?-2-3"?
Q=How much "lift" will this provide?

Welding and cutting is not an issue as far as availability.

Ok so main things that I want to know is:
Has anyone done one of these setups in any way shape or form.
How far will the 56" move the axle back.
What about 52" or just have alcan make the springs a certain length with an offset center.
What length?
Tell me what is good and bad about my ideas-I dont care you wont hurt my feelings!!! to some extent!!!

I will prob have more questions as time goes on. And as far as $ goes.
THANKS for any info, suggestions, recomendations.
Pics that may help as far as fender issues and to give you and idea of what i am working with here are in album below.
http://tamor.us/members-rigs/album98?page=1

Sharpe
09-29-2005, 06:03 PM
If you go with 52's or 56's I have a set of stockers of each.

texasxj
09-29-2005, 06:14 PM
figured you would. what would you recomend

Sharpe
09-29-2005, 06:28 PM
For the rear...56's. They have a 4" offset center pin and obviously flex more because they are longer. With the correct shackle angle and leaf combination you can get some insane flex out of them. You also can decide how u want to mount them. If you mount them with the short side forward (thats the way they come stock), you have more rear overhang and dont get the relocating back benefit, but when they flex the point your pinion up, obviously good for the u-joints. If you put the long end forward, you will probably have the same flex, but your pinion angle wont be as good and might even require shims to keep it acceptable. I have the 56's here in CS and the 52s are at home still in the truck BTW.

eight
09-30-2005, 12:10 AM
F150 rear springs are pretty simular to the 56" chevys. They're 57" long with a 3.5" offset. The distance they will stretch it depends on where you mount the spring hanger.

Cajun
09-30-2005, 12:14 AM
F150 rear springs are pretty simular to the 56" chevys. They're 57" long with a 3.5" offset. The distance they will stretch it depends on where you mount the spring hanger.

These springs are infinitely excellent. They flex a ton, but are very soft. I've already bent one and I'm running an antiwrap bar. Buy and carry spares.

eight
09-30-2005, 12:22 AM
You use the 2.5" or 3"? Reverse or normal shackles? My fronts are the 3" wide and seem to flex good, haven't really used them yet but I'm hoping they hold up. I think they had 4 leafs stock not counting the overload. I had 7 leafs in mine and that seemed about at stiff as my old 7 leaf 2.5" wide CJ/YJ springs. Last weekend I removed a leaf from each to lower the height some.

Cajun
09-30-2005, 12:59 AM
2.5" 5 leaf (including overload) ones in the rear, reversed. Spring over and a VERY torquey big block :D

uglyota
09-30-2005, 02:41 AM
The distance they will stretch it depends on where you mount the spring hanger.:laughing:

stx4wheeler
09-30-2005, 02:45 AM
the 2.5's are very flexy, the 3 ich ones from bronco's and f-150s flex pretty darn decent as well and i dont think you would have to worry about bending them up like andy has said. and maybe add a zero rate one there you can lok at my zero rates when they come in in a few weeks, and the guy that is making mine can make it as tall as you need it, i am getting a 2 inch block esssentilly, with a 1.5 inch rear offset, drilled and machined to bolt to my spring pack with a longer center pin.

eight
09-30-2005, 06:14 AM
Zero rates are for queers with fullsizes. It's a fawkin block.

stx4wheeler
09-30-2005, 09:42 AM
its a fawking block that moves my axle back, and keeps me from having to put big old drop shackles on that will drag across everything. :flipoff2:

Shaggy
09-30-2005, 03:21 PM
i have like 2.5 sets of ford ones if you need any... i dont know what happened to the other .5 of one set

texasxj
10-03-2005, 01:39 PM
ok so 56" rears and a shackle flip???? sound good???
robert do you still have that shackle flip from your burb?

Sharpe
10-03-2005, 03:30 PM
Yes I do but its already spoken for. Want dem springs? They're here at my crib in CS.

stx4wheeler
10-03-2005, 06:15 PM
ive got some lift shackles for those springs clayton. they are 3 in leaves righ?