PDA

View Full Version : Gilmer Joint TAMOR LHOR Trip, April 27th

mark
04-15-2002, 05:25 PM
We have a joint Longhorn Off-Road and TAMOR trip comming up at Barnwell Mountain Recreation Area near Gilmer, TX.

For those of you who don't keep up with the threads, this is an off-road park operated by TMTC (http://www.texasmotorizedtrails.com) and financed by your state gasoline taxes.

While some of our members find the trails to be too easy, most will find something to please them on this 2000 acre trail system.

For details see the Barnwell Mountain site. (http://www.texasmotorizedtrails.com/ohvareas/barnwell/index.html)

Trails range from easy to difficult

See their site for the schedule of entrance fees and membership options.

-Mark

froader03
04-15-2002, 06:35 PM
anyone plan on going up there friday? not that I am, but might want to so I thought I'd give people something to think about and maybe it can be discussed a little further at the meeting.
what are the LHOR boys' plans?

JB
04-15-2002, 07:40 PM
I will be going sometime Friday, though dunno if it will be from CS. Looks LHOR found out about our new BBS, guess they don't like us :(
http://www.longhornoffroad.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=001538 ..fawkers :D

link doesnt work, cut-n-paste or just go to their website

mark
04-15-2002, 10:35 PM
<Hillbilly mode on>

I see that they not only have our address, but they have concluded we are pretentious...nope pretndtous...um prenttensiuoosos...****...stuk up.

I thought my letters was nice.

We aint even got the site up yet an deys offended wez not lettin eberyone in.

Damn, we haven't even got to Gilmer an they is startin a pissin match.

<Hillbilly mode off>

-Mark

AGRVR
04-17-2002, 02:18 AM
Grayson and I also just realized that the Texas Rovers club based in Dallas will be at BMRA the same weekend...so that should be pretty funny too.

JB
04-21-2002, 11:11 PM
What time is everyone planning on getting to Gilmer on Friday. I will be up at SMU Thursday and will be leaving from their with a few other Broncos, so if anyone wants to caravan from Dalla area around noon or so on Friday, let me know.

robertf03
04-21-2002, 11:21 PM
what part of SMU are you meeting at? I'll probably be leavin around noon too, and I'm just up the road from SMU off of Hillcrest

JB
04-22-2002, 01:03 AM
I will let you know when I know tomorrow.

Jason
04-22-2002, 11:03 AM
I am plannning to drive to Dallas after class friday night, and then leave from Dallas about 6 am Saturday, Should put me in Gilmer about 8:30. I assume people are planning to stay Saturday night, right? Looks like it is supposed to rain, so things should be a little more challenging.

Jason

BigRedFord04
04-22-2002, 01:31 PM
Just a little FYI for anyone planning on going that hasnt been:

Gilmer is NOT fullsize friendly. TONS of trees everywhere and a good turning radius is necessary. Narrow track helps too.

This is what my day was like there all day...

bburris
04-22-2002, 09:06 PM
d a m n Austin, why didn't you just mow that little sapling down with your grille guard

did you end up scraping your paint on any of those tight places?

robertf03
04-22-2002, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Jason
I am plannning to drive to Dallas after class friday night, and then leave from Dallas about 6 am Saturday, Should put me in Gilmer about 8:30. I assume people are planning to stay Saturday night, right? Looks like it is supposed to rain, so things should be a little more challenging.

Jason

It looks like I'll be leaving no earlier 4 am sat morning, had something come up so Friday won't be an option. Want to caravan out there?

AgDieseler
04-23-2002, 01:02 PM
Sure, we could all leave around 6:00AM.

Flem
Jason Marek
David Oliver

Anybody else want to join?

robertf03
04-23-2002, 01:16 PM
I just pm'ed you about it I guess while you were posting this

by the way, thats Jason Larman, not Jason Marek

Jason
04-23-2002, 02:09 PM
I am way over in Rowlett, almost Rockwall, so I think I am the farthest east. We can all meet at my place if we want to. Flem, are you bringing the CJ? If we want to leave from my place, PM or email me for directions. If not, let's come up with a place to meet.

Jason Larman

robertf03
04-23-2002, 02:19 PM
CJ's not quite finished yet, I'm bringing the Maxima. We can meet at your place seeing as its the closest to Gilmer so non of us would have to backtrack any.

Rex
04-23-2002, 02:35 PM
Add me to the caravan list. I live in Rowlett, so I'll be over at Jason's. :D

ZZX81
04-23-2002, 04:22 PM
Hey I'm going to have an extra seat to Gilmer this weekend if any one wants to take it. I can leave anytime after 12 on Friday, and anytime on Saturday. If any one wants a ride either e-mail me at ZZX81@yahoo.com or give me a call at 695-0760.

JB
04-23-2002, 05:10 PM
so is anyone goin to be there Friday? I will be there around 3p on Friday.

BigRedFord04
04-23-2002, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by bburris
d a m n Austin, why didn't you just mow that little sapling down with your grille guard

did you end up scraping your paint on any of those tight places?

I took down one about that same size later in the day w/ my rear bumper trying to get out of a ravine. I got some pinstriping but nothing too terrible.

Oh, No, I didnt touch that particular tree...I think the tire stuck out just enough to keep it less than the thickness of a sheet of paper away from the paint.

JB
04-24-2002, 08:11 PM
I can get to Gilmer, but is it hard to get to BMRA once I am in Gilmer? Can someone give me directions from 271? THanks.

Seth
04-25-2002, 01:06 AM
i am sure they have a map on there website

bburris
04-25-2002, 01:20 AM
be sure and know where you're going before you head out there...when David and I stopped to ask for exact directions we just got blank looks from the locals

AgDieseler
04-25-2002, 08:34 AM
The map on their site is pretty sucky. It gives a map of the town, but no more than that. I guess we might have to stop at a gas station, and get more blank looks. Gilmer does have a nice mullet collection though.

Jason
04-25-2002, 08:48 AM
When you come in on 271, go into Gilmer, which will kind of feel like turning left. Go through 2-3 lights, and turn right at the Golden Corral, I believe this is 155. Go about 4-5 miles. If you are paying attention, you will see a trail up on the side of one of the hills. The turn in for TMTC is at the top of the hill. There is a sign (or at least there was) on the left side of the road, but the entrance is on the right. It is real easy to miss, as you are just coming up the hill, and it is a very sharp turn to get in there. Only other clue I remember to help find it is that the road does widen out to 4 lanes. If/when you find it, drive through the campgrounds up front, and go through the gate at the top. Check in at the office.

Doug Krebs
04-25-2002, 11:46 AM
So who is actually leaving college station other than myself???? Please send me an email at Dkrebs@neo.tamu.edu everyone that is going, and where you are leaving with, and what group, and who's in the group. Thanks

ZZX81
04-25-2002, 10:04 PM
So who all is going to leave from College Station, and when are they leaving? Do we have anyone to lead any of the groups going up on Saturday yet? Is any one going to camp on Saturday night? I guess that is enough questions for now, just trying to figure out what is going on.

Seth
04-26-2002, 02:09 AM
well i guess you 2 are -- wish i could

BMFScout
04-26-2002, 03:41 PM
I will be there, wouldn't miss this ****. I don't know if I am going to stick around tonight and leave tomorrow, or head home tonight, then out from Big D tomorrow. I will be there, Scout willing, it will just depend on what the boss wants to do about how and when I am getting out there, probably won't camp Sat night, go back to plano. BEAT THE HELL OUTTA LHOR! (I know , I know, that was lame and childish, and there is no clear way to "beat the hell outta" someone at froading, but I felt compelled to say it, the brainwashing and all...)

Doug Krebs
04-26-2002, 09:06 PM
Ok guys this is the list I have right now. If you are leaving from C.S. we are meeting at the Mc.Donalds on university across from campus, the usual spot, but we are leaving at 6:30 to get a little head start since it’s far away. The group I have leaving from here is Doug Krebs, Jimmy Mancuso, Carol Mancuso, and Andrew Carrigo. If you have a problem with the departure time or anything else give me a call at 847-0311. You can call at anytime, if i’m not here just leave a message. Also, if you owe Lynda any info make sure she get it!!!! Oh, and if anyone has a spot for my top to go for the weekend that would be great, don’t really want to mess the fiberglass up on a tree at gilmer. Thanks, see ya’ll tommorow - Doug

Rex Haber
Jason Larman
Mike Knoller
Andrew Carrigo
John Brown
Robert Fleming
David Oliver
David Ohen...blah
Doug Krebs
Jimmy Brune
Jason Kelly

Jimmy Mancuso

Carol Mancuso

davido
04-28-2002, 12:05 PM
My pics are posted (http://offroadrepublic.com/fj40/tripreports-020428/) There's a lot more out there. Good time. Here's some teasers.

http://offroadrepublic.com/fj40/tripreports-020428/DSC01434.JPG

http://offroadrepublic.com/fj40/tripreports-020428/DSC01440.JPG

JB
04-28-2002, 08:21 PM
http://www.superford.org/registry/users/106/75/DCP00680.JPG

not too many of any of ya'll, but here are some more...PICS (http://www.superford.org/?vID=75)

Mark, Doug, and Andrew, if you will send me your addreses, I can send you a few pics I got of you, maybe one or two a piece jbrown89@tamu.edu

JB
04-28-2002, 09:04 PM
What did the black XJ break? And whover was driving it, (same guy who spotted the brown Bronco up Fun Country????), he says thanks, you helped him out alot.

BigRedFord04
04-28-2002, 10:33 PM
What the **** is this (http://offroadrepublic.com/fj40/tripreports-020428/DSC01416.JPG) !?!

JB
04-28-2002, 10:40 PM
***, VehiCross w/ 31in Boggers on 15x10s. It was really muddy when we left today

BMFScout
04-29-2002, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by JBrown89
What did the black XJ break? And whover was driving it, (same guy who spotted the brown Bronco up Fun Country????), he says thanks, you helped him out alot.

Ryan broke his axle u-joint/ball joints on that side. He was just over that ledge on Houston, all four wheels giving it hell and it jettisoned the right front wheel. It was ****ing cool. The phone call to his dad was classic. "Is the truck at home? I need to borrow the trailer" "It's really not as bad as it could have been..." It really wasn't that bad, just broke the ball joints and shattered the u joint, busted the brake line, bent the steering a little, the housing and knuckle were still good. We clamped off the brake line and drove it into town that night. Think this will give him an excuse to upgrade. He isn't in the club but I will tell him the guy in the brown bronco said thanks, ryan really wanted him to get up fun country, he gave it a hell of a run, lockers would have made all the difference on that slick ****.

JB
04-29-2002, 01:47 PM
here are some more pics from Rodger's site, there are some pics of you guys, so you can jsut open it up and save it to your computer.
PICS (http://www.superford.org/registry?vID=125)

redcagepatrol
04-29-2002, 02:47 PM
that was some pretty good carnage, the only thing I say break up here in Farmington was a u-joint. Also watched a rollover or two or three, but they didn't break and kept going.