PDA

View Full Version : cb and radio

CRaSHnBuRN
10-08-2005, 12:27 PM
Okay, these are dumb questions, but I'm bored and this place has been dead lately.

Last time out davido acted surprised that I didn't have a CB in the lil bastard yet. I had planned on putting one in before christmas, but I've been thinking that over a little. I had one in the old truck, but it really only came in handy in keeping the whole group together on the way to where ever we were going wheeling (example, mason or cibilo creek). Once we were on the trails, it seemed that no one ever used them. Of course they're nice to have in an emergency, but only if other people are listening. For example after i got split up from the tamor group on waterfall last TCC, I tried 3 different times from 3 different cb equiped vehicles to figure out where everyone had gone, but no one answered. I also carry my cell phone with me most of the time, and I seem to have much better luck with that, even when I'm out in the middle of no where. So just how much do you use your cb, and do you think its worth even bothering with it? Another thing I realized is I never see cb antennaes on buggys, or even many full bodied rigs anymore. So what are they using?

Second question concerns having a CD player or some form of music in you rig. Am I crazy for wanting to put one in my rig? I'd like to be able to listen to music while waiting for my turn at obstacles, but some people argue that you should be listening to you vehicle for signs of problems, or that the music would irritate other people on the trail (not that I really care :flipoff2: )

TxCruzr
10-08-2005, 12:55 PM
The only time I have really ever used my cb was to talk **** to truck drives...thats what happens when your driving 350+ miles without a stereo :D
The stereo has proven more useful. Your really going to have to crank it up to no hear something going wrong with your motor. The first sign of something different/wierd, just turn it off and listen for a sec. Also get some of the neon lights for rocklights that will bump to the music :gigem:

CRaSHnBuRN
10-08-2005, 01:20 PM
I wonder what would be the best method for installing a cd player and speakers on a buggy? I'm thinking I could hang an ammo box under the dash bars, and put the radio in there to keep it protected from the elements, and then put 2 more skinny ammo boxes behind the seats with holes cut in them for speakers. Perhaps make these easily removable so I can pull them out when the weather is bad or I want to listen to music back at camp

TxCruzr
10-08-2005, 01:31 PM
Check out some of the marine stereo places. They have little plastic boxes the stereo slides into and has a front flip up cover. As for the speakers just use a set of the walmart 9.99 specials. Mine have held up and sound alright. And if they did die from water or anything then who cares, it was 10 bucks.

bburris
10-08-2005, 04:13 PM
There are also marine grade speakers that hold up pretty well to water.

CRaSHnBuRN
10-08-2005, 04:40 PM
yeah, I'm familiar with all the marine grade stuff (helped outfit a friend's boat before I moved up here).

CRaSHnBuRN
10-08-2005, 04:42 PM
and quite frankly, I'm more afraid of the dust messing things up then moisture. My buggy is still covered in dust from the last trip to 47

Sharpe
10-08-2005, 09:29 PM
If you dont get a CB for th buggy, then you wont get a cool sesame street handle. Just FYI cookie monster, bigbird and the count are already taken, try to guess who's who from the group that went to Alto.

uglyota
10-17-2005, 04:53 PM
the importance of your on-the-trail soundtrack and the volume at which you can blast it is on par with the integrity of your motor or axles. Don't leave home without a good selection of speed/death metal :gigem:

AggieTJ2007
10-17-2005, 07:50 PM
the dust, and water and moisture don't hurt the CB. I have powerwashed the inside of my jeep w/ the Cobra CB mounted and it didn't hurt it. It has also been rained on several times too

agjohn02
10-17-2005, 07:52 PM
the importance of your on-the-trail soundtrack and the volume at which you can blast it is on par with the integrity of your motor or axles. Don't leave home without a good selection of speed/death metal :gigem:

i think one of my speakers still works

AggieTJ2007
10-17-2005, 08:01 PM
oh yeah, eric clean out your box

uglyota
10-18-2005, 11:41 AM
fresh as a spring rain.
They both work now. I decided the only way to keep them in place when I get frustrated was to screw them to the shelf behind the seats. They should stay put now

Sharpe
10-18-2005, 11:54 AM
the dust, and water and moisture don't hurt the CB. I have powerwashed the inside of my jeep w/ the Cobra CB mounted and it didn't hurt it. It has also been rained on several times too
Not to mention hitting puddles doing about 30 mph with the windshield down...