PDA

View Full Version : Blazer Revival 2005!

Pages : [1] 2

Doug Krebs
10-12-2005, 03:13 PM
Didn't think I'd wheel the blazer for a while, but I might just be convinced.

Work to be done:

14 bolt:

shave
fix caliper
check center pins

Dana 60:

Brakes
rebuild kingpins
lockright or weld
check on the lockouts

Steering:

Design and build hi steer arms
Tie rod
draglink
tap steering box
ram
hoses

Maint.:

Check york
change oil
change antifreeze
install rearseat belts

Misc:

Build new rear bumper
beef skid plate
get cb fixed and buy antanae

PLACE YOUR BETS LADIES! :flipoff2:

jerryg79
10-12-2005, 03:17 PM
Keep on your aderal and "You cane do eet!"

Clayton here we come!

fbronco86
10-12-2005, 03:31 PM
Didn't think I'd wheel the blazer for a while, but I might just be convinced.

Work to be done:

14 bolt:

shave
fix caliper
check center pins

Dana 60:

Brakes
rebuild kingpins
lockright or weld
check on the lockouts

Steering:

Design and build hi steer arms
Tie rod
draglink
tap steering box
ram
hoses

Maint.:

Check york
change oil
change antifreeze
install rearseat belts

Misc:

Build new rear bumper
beef skid plate
get cb fixed and buy antanae

PLACE YOUR BETS LADIES! :flipoff2:

Just wait till your wife finds out about this haha down the drain :flipoff2:

jerryg79
10-12-2005, 03:36 PM
Just wait till your wife finds out about this haha down the drain :flipoff2:

FLUSH!

Just kidding doug, good luck, and I'm serious about clayton!

You had more to do before spring break with blair didnt you?

fbronco86
10-12-2005, 03:42 PM
What about some body work?

Doug Krebs
10-12-2005, 03:43 PM
Blair already approved and was excited about samantha, a hotel room, and riding in a comfy truck there!

The list shouldn't be too hard to accomplish. First thing I need to do is get the blazer and dana 60 here.

and yes jerry i had more to do before spring break and I really only started the week before...

Mike want to let me borrow the lock right since it's not being used? :gigem:

BMFScout
10-12-2005, 03:47 PM
you didn't hear, Clayton is a Chick Free Zone, men, Jack Daniels Select or whatever the hell that was, and underage wimmens only!

redcagepatrol
10-12-2005, 04:20 PM
you didn't hear, Clayton is a Chick Free Zone, men, Jack Daniels Select or whatever the hell that was, and underage wimmens only!
Oh - I'm going to miss those underage girls sitting on the old guys laps - good stuff.
Note to self: Must make end of year trip

Shaggy
10-12-2005, 04:39 PM
i would put money on it being done in plenty of time... or procrastinated till the last week... but it will make it

jerryg79
10-12-2005, 04:50 PM
sweet action...will you be able to use al's trailer? If so do I need to purchase a brake controller?

Doug Krebs
10-12-2005, 04:57 PM
hell i paid for the tires on the trailer so i should be good! it,s got surge brakes, no controller needed.

Someone school me on tie rods and draglinks. I plan on having the tie rod behind the axle and using chevy tierod ends. Weld in bungs acceptable for the reverse threaded end? I have a tap for the regular threads.

Chevy guys, what pitman arm do i need?

For the steering arms... I have 1" plate at the moment, but I have access to 1.25 and 1.5 for free also, however, I think 1" is the norm, correct?

stx4wheeler
10-12-2005, 04:59 PM
hey doug im prolly going to be ordering a stick or two of 1.5 .25 wall dom for my steering, would you be interested some.

Cajun
10-12-2005, 05:01 PM
Yes, I believe that 1" plate is the norm.

agjohn02
10-12-2005, 05:02 PM
hell i paid for the tires on the trailer so i should be good! it,s got surge brakes, no controller needed.

Someone school me on tie rods and draglinks. I plan on having the tie rod behind the axle and using chevy tierod ends. Weld in bungs acceptable for the reverse threaded end? I have a tap for the regular threads.

Chevy guys, what pitman arm do i need?

For the steering arms... I have 1" plate at the moment, but I have access to 1.25 and 1.5 for free also, however, I think 1" is the norm, correct?

whats the price difference in the insert and tap? if its not much id get the tap.

Doug Krebs
10-12-2005, 05:34 PM
I believe it's around $100 for the tap. If enough people have an interest we could split up the cost and I can use the tap on the lathe at work.

fbronco86
10-12-2005, 05:38 PM
I believe it's around $100 for the tap. If enough people have an interest we could split up the cost and I can use the tap on the lathe at work.

use a tap on a lathe? I want to see that :flipoff2: And no you can not use my lockrite but thanks for asking.

Doug Krebs
10-12-2005, 05:53 PM
use a tap on a lathe? I want to see that :flipoff2: And no you can not use my lockrite but thanks for asking.

Hi yes, you can infact use a tap in a lathe!

If I weld the front, I think the hydro assist will help out with the turning.

Also, blue torch fab arms are 1.25", however I've never heard of arms breaking, only knuckles.

agjohn02
10-12-2005, 05:57 PM
use a tap on a lathe? I want to see that

you can infact use a tap in a lathe!

how else are you supposed to tap a hole perfectly straight?

eight
10-12-2005, 06:27 PM
I just drill the hole to the right size then tap it with a tap and a crescent wrench.

You know you don't have to use left hand threads. Not much more work to adjust with all rights.

You should make it fine. All you really have to get done is to fix the brake caliper and center pins yes? You still got spare 10 bolt shafts? You should just sell the 60 to me, I'll give 20% more than you paid for it.

agjohn02
10-12-2005, 06:32 PM
yeah, you could polish rig it.

seriously though, the drag link isnt that bad to use right hand on both sides. its a pain if you use it on the tie rod though... that is, if you want to align it.

robertf03
10-12-2005, 06:34 PM

Also, blue torch fab arms are 1.25", however I've never heard of arms breaking, only knuckles.

are you sure about that? I would think to use an actual tap to thread something you would have to go super slow, like 25 rpm ?

agjohn02
10-12-2005, 06:54 PM
are you sure about that? I would think to use an actual tap to thread something you would have to go super slow, like 25 rpm ?

if you wanna break a big tap, yes.

drill your tap hole. then turn the lathe off, put it in neutral. put the tap in the tailstock and turn the head by hand. feed with the tailstock until you get it started good. then finish it off with a tap handle using something pointy in the drill chuck to keep the tap centered. bet you didnt know what that little divit in the square end of a tap or the back of a tap handle were for did you?

bada-bing. straight tapped hole.

Doug Krebs
10-12-2005, 06:58 PM
also you can tap on a mill...

Our kick ass jet mill has a power tap feature, although I've never used it.

robertf03
10-12-2005, 07:03 PM
I've used the mill to tap with a tap by turning the chuck by hand

Our lathe at work can do all kinds of threads with the autofeed. I'm pretty sure 7/8 18tpi RH was on the list, not sure if it'll do internal threads on something with an ID as small as steering linkage.

Sharpe
10-12-2005, 07:08 PM
Frick, I need a new draglink so I might go in on a stick with you. I need about 5 feet. I was planning on just doing weld in bungs but if we get somemore people, I'd offer up some $ for the tap. I might make a new tierod too, but lets not get too crazy.

agjohn02
10-12-2005, 07:09 PM
you can cut any kind of external thread on a lathe. at least i havent come across any you cant do with the right tool. it just takes practice. ive never cut internal threads on a lathe using the feed and a boring bar, just with a tap. i dont see why it wouldnt work for bigger threads and im sure the inserts are out there to do it.

eight
10-12-2005, 07:27 PM
Why's everyone think they need this dom crap for steering?

davido
10-12-2005, 07:36 PM
You can take measurements and copy my setup if you want.

Doug Krebs
10-12-2005, 07:41 PM
sweet thanks david, i'd like to take a look at it...

Oh, by the way mike, we had to change the gears in the lathe the other day to cut metric threads. I think thats the first they've been installed since they were still wrapped in cosmiline (sp?)

73bronco
10-12-2005, 08:06 PM
I need new steering so I'm in for sharing the price of a tap and some tube. I found the correct left hand 7/8-18thread tap for $89

KrazyKarl02
10-12-2005, 10:08 PM
This sounds like a fun adventure, any time you need help, let me know Doug, I can meet you at the Kreb-o-perty.

I am going to try to have the klogger ready to rock, look out, it will have 3.55's instead of 3.00's.... And maybe a new cup holder...

StevenAg03
10-12-2005, 10:15 PM
anytime something needs to be tapped, wether it is internal or external, the guys at work use the lathes...they have speed and feed charts on printed on metal tags on the side of the machines. today i watched a guy tap a metal bar with 1.00"-8 using a carbide cutter. when he tapped the matching internal threads he used a regular tap and did it with power on the lathe...

Doug Krebs
10-12-2005, 11:17 PM
Looks like I'll get the blazer on friday the 29th...

I'm not sure I want to start on the hi-steer arm's until then, but I'm sure someone around here will let me use a dana 60 knuckle to model it. I'm not sure how involved I want to get with ackermann angle at the moment since I don't have definate plans for the buggy... I'll just copy BTF arms or something similar.

Plan for steering is Crossover, tie rod behind the axle with the ram also behind.

What do I need a 1.5" x 8" cylinder?

eight
10-13-2005, 06:03 AM
You need 8" only if your tie rod willhave 8" of travel. Since you're designing your arms, you can make the travel whatever you want. Found out my cylinder costs $380 if one were to buy it from parker.

jerryg79
10-13-2005, 07:14 AM
I'm in!

Talked to Samantha last night....she's been bustin my balls about going to one of her co-workers' weddings on that weekend, so the first thing she said when I told her I would be there that weekend was "Oh good now we can go to that wedding" :mad:

Some how in typical Jerry fashion, I weaseled my way out of that one and convinced her that we should goto Clayton.

Wish I could help you work on the Blazer Krebs, but I'll only be down there twice between now and Clayton, once to Help Samantha move and once for Thanksgiving.

Karl, I'm questioning the sanity of bringing the Klogger on this trip. Maybe you can wheel with a Z-71 or something :flipoff2:

StevenAg03
10-13-2005, 08:09 AM
Found out my cylinder costs $380 if one were to buy it from parker.

dont buy anything from parker....everyone that works there is crooked... :flipoff2:

BMFScout
10-13-2005, 08:44 AM
Why's everyone think they need this dom crap for steering?

Pretty soon they'll be wanting to make cages out of it too, right Kopecki? Fawking ridiculous!!

chevsu
10-13-2005, 10:27 AM
i think i paid close to $100 for a 7/8 18 left hand tap. i had to get it made by a company that we buy tooling from. the right hand i think only paid $40 for it. i used the tailstock to tap my tierod and draglink i never touched the tap with a wrench or tap wrench. just use a 8 point socket and a extension in the chuck. i have also used a really big tap wrench and set it up on the lathe and then turned it on and let it tap. i paid a little over a $100 for the taper to. What TREs are you planning on using?

chevsu
10-13-2005, 10:29 AM
you can also look at my setup on the heep for tie rod behind the axle. also conley just bought the inserts and i think they were pretty cheap. cheaper than buying the taps and spending time doing it. you could weld them in and then turn the O.D. down to the same as the tie rod. you would never be able to tell that they are welded in.

Sharpe
10-13-2005, 10:58 AM
Man I dont know if I want to do inserts or tap it. Damn decisions...

jerryg79
10-13-2005, 11:03 AM
Man I dont know if I want to do inserts or tap it. Damn decisions...

Mike had a similar dilemma last weekend :flipoff2:

fbronco86
10-13-2005, 11:13 AM

Can you not make a cutter outta cobalt to turn the threads?

bburris
10-13-2005, 11:31 AM
Part # 2584A918 at http://www.mcmaster.com/
$91.60

This one is cheaper, but I don't know if it's any good:
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=2063296&PMT4NO=1993599

Just as a warning: When we made my steering, I threaded an old TRE with some grease on the threads into the inserts before welding and it was hard as hell to get them out. Threading the TREs in that I wanted to use was still almost impossible. Using 1.5" OD .25" wall DOM meant the 7/8" insert has a really thin wall that is extremely prone to warping. I ended up having to chase the threads with a tap in order to make them work.

When I build another steering setup I'm going to use tube that can simply be tapped instead of using any type of insert.

Doug Krebs
10-13-2005, 03:51 PM
Can you not make a cutter outta cobalt to turn the threads?

That would be a real pain in the ass to do with the small ID and the fine pitch. I don't want to waste tubing...

fbronco86
10-13-2005, 04:06 PM
That would be a real pain in the ass to do with the small ID and the fine pitch. I don't want to waste tubing...

How deep do you thread this hole? I really think the weldin inserts are the way to go. Just my 2 cents

agjohn02
10-13-2005, 04:51 PM
How deep do you thread this hole? I really think the weldin inserts are the way to go. Just my 2 cents

yeah, but anybody can do it that way. you have access to tools most guys dont. i like the idea of tapping the right handed one and welding the left handed one in, then turning the weld down. it'd be cheaper and look good.

Sharpe
10-13-2005, 05:14 PM
Then why bother tapping the right hand one? Why dont you just run heims at one end and TRE's at the other while you're at it?
:flipoff2:

Doug Krebs
10-13-2005, 05:37 PM

If i had your 2 cents I'd have a bronco! :flipoff2:

jerryg79
10-13-2005, 05:44 PM
BURN!!!!

On a side note this thread title makes me laugh on many levels!

First Revival makes me think of bible-beaters and those people are dumb and make me laugh.

Then I think that thread is about reviving a truck that just got revived a year and a half ago and has been parked in a covered barn since. :D

Doug Krebs
10-13-2005, 05:52 PM
BURN!!!!
First Revival makes me think of bible-beaters and those people are dumb and make me laugh.

Hey, craig was the one that talked me into calling this thread a "revival". :gigem:

Actually, I'd like to find Robert Cox's (Stuart's dad) old jimmy and revive that thing. Actually I remember seeing it a few years ago pulling around mastercraft in kingwood. It was topless and had some decent looking women in the back.

Doug Krebs
10-13-2005, 06:28 PM
you can also look at my setup on the heep for tie rod behind the axle. also conley just bought the inserts and i think they were pretty cheap. cheaper than buying the taps and spending time doing it. you could weld them in and then turn the O.D. down to the same as the tie rod. you would never be able to tell that they are welded in.

when's the jeep going to be in college station next?

You have a autocad or solidworks file of the steering arms?

Doug Krebs
10-17-2005, 03:45 PM
Thinking about getting the blazer this coming weekend. Progress should start soon. Hopefully I'll have the house done by the end of the weekend. I already started on the garage. Put two couches on the curb on saturday morning that reaked of cat piss and they were gone within a half hour!

chevsu
10-18-2005, 09:19 AM
i'm not sure the when the jeep will be back in CS, maybe the next 47 trip. i have the file on autocad. i also have a blank set with no holes in it yet thats made out of A516 grade 70 1" plate. i might could part with them if the price is right.

Sharpe
10-18-2005, 11:01 AM
We put some couches out on the curb and somebody took one and left the other, so Garret ran over it with his bronco. Then it was gone the next day. I dont know if the trash man or someone else took it...

fbronco86
10-18-2005, 01:24 PM
If i had your 2 cents I'd have a bronco! :flipoff2:

You are just jealous cause my rig can kick your rigs ass haha. Dont make me get it out for clayton to kick your butt :flipoff2:

Doug Krebs
10-18-2005, 02:48 PM
You are just jealous cause my rig can kick your rigs ass haha. Dont make me get it out for clayton to kick your butt :flipoff2:

i'm not scared ***** bring it! :flipoff2:

Shaggy
10-18-2005, 03:08 PM
i would love to see the shat box on the trail... **** it if the engine dont run gud... if it starts wheel it

Doug Krebs
10-19-2005, 11:57 PM
So I finally messed with the hydraulic pump for the 1st time in 6 months or so. I stopped listening to the manufacturer and started sticking the air hose in different ports to figure out what they do.

So, I figured out the relief valve was draining back into the resevoir and not letting pressure build. So I plugged the return from the relief valve, reassembled, hooked it up to the ram and holy **** it works. So I guess buying another pump assembly for 60 bucks like the manufacturer suggested didn't end up being the problem.

So now I have to decided whether or not to **** with the internal relief valve, or buy something like this (http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2005101923545816&item=9-941&catname=hydraulic) . Only problem with that is I'm pretty sure I have to plumb another return line back to the resevoir, which just sucks.

I guess I'll contact the manufacturer and see if they have any suggestions.

Matt Conlee
10-22-2005, 08:44 AM
I this going to be ready for clayton. That would be awsome

Doug Krebs
10-22-2005, 10:33 PM
I this going to be ready for clayton. That would be awsome

thats the whole point! went and got it today.

lets put it this way, heres the score:

F150-----0
CTD------1
squirrels -3

KrazyKarl02
10-23-2005, 01:55 AM
I do not understand why F150 has a zero, but mine will rip some sh**! Look out it will have 3.55's!

fbronco86
10-23-2005, 10:02 AM

F150-----0
CTD------1
squirrels -3

The squirrels kick ass :gigem:

Matt Conlee
10-23-2005, 05:38 PM

F150-----0
CTD------1
squirrels -3
Can you explain the scoring for me

Doug Krebs
10-24-2005, 10:59 AM
Can you explain the scoring for me

scoring...

F150 didn't fair so well pulling the blazer, extra engine, some tubing, a dana 60 in the bed, and a couple of other hundred pounds of ****.

I made it 5 miles and couldn't go faster than 40mph. I couldn't get the tongue weight I wanted because my dad bought a gay hitch orginally for the truck and it would have bottomed it out. Also, those trucks have really soft springs in the rear which didn't help anything.

My oldest brother was helping me that day and he just bought a CTD a couple of months ago. He was on his way home at that point but had offered to help earlier. So I went back to the property and he met me there about an hour later. I shifted the blazer forward on the trailer and rearranged the other stuff while i waited.

The squirrels... if you come to the RV this weekend and look in the crock pot you'll find out!

I have pictures, but I dropped my camera about a year ago and it only works with memory cards now. I took the pictures on the regular camera memory and thought there was a way to transfer them to the card, but I can't figure it out.

Work on the 60 starts tonight, I'm going to try and get the kind pins out!

AgDieseler
10-24-2005, 12:39 PM
...I'm going to try and get the kind pins out!
Via con dios

fbronco86
10-24-2005, 01:00 PM
scoring...

F150 didn't fair so well pulling the blazer, extra engine, some tubing, a dana 60 in the bed, and a couple of other hundred pounds of ****.

I made it 5 miles and couldn't go faster than 40mph. I couldn't get the tongue weight I wanted because my dad bought a gay hitch orginally for the truck and it would have bottomed it out. Also, those trucks have really soft springs in the rear which didn't help anything.

My oldest brother was helping me that day and he just bought a CTD a couple of months ago. He was on his way home at that point but had offered to help earlier. So I went back to the property and he met me there about an hour later. I shifted the blazer forward on the trailer and rearranged the other stuff while i waited.

The squirrels... if you come to the RV this weekend and look in the crock pot you'll find out!

I have pictures, but I dropped my camera about a year ago and it only works with memory cards now. I took the pictures on the regular camera memory and thought there was a way to transfer them to the card, but I can't figure it out.

Work on the 60 starts tonight, I'm going to try and get the kind pins out!

40mph that really sucks

On a side note

I pulled my bronco for the last time this weekend thank god that SOB is heavy.

StevenAg03
10-24-2005, 01:01 PM
40mph that really sucks

On a side note

why are you thankful for its weight? :confused:

jerryg79
10-24-2005, 01:02 PM
40mph that really sucks

On a side note

where to?

and have you thought that maybe its not just the bronco that is a heavy SOB?

fbronco86
10-24-2005, 01:08 PM
where to?

and have you thought that maybe its not just the bronco that is a heavy SOB?

The bronco is at my parents property in Onalaska, Texas. Its also sitting on some kustom red oak jack stands. Its really kinda sad I had a tear in my eye while doing all of this. I am going to sing amazing grace when i get the torch out on it.

And yes I might be the SOB causing the heavy load on my truck

Back to Krebs Thread,

We gonna work on the Blazer this weekend?

jerryg79
10-24-2005, 01:10 PM
The bronco is at my parents property in Onalaska, Texas. Its also sitting on some kustom red oak jack stands. Its really kinda sad I had a tear in my eye while doing all of this. I am going to sing amazing grace when i get the torch out on it.

And yes I might be the SOB causing the heavy load on my truck

Back to Krebs Thread,

I was thinking more about your traiEr

Doug Krebs
10-24-2005, 01:45 PM

I'll be working on it for sure! Can I buy your Dana 60 hub socket off you?

Doug Krebs
10-24-2005, 01:47 PM
Via con dios

My plan is too park the F150 next to the blazer and stick the axle in between the 2 tires. My work happened to have the correct allen wrench and I plan to just use a long cheater!

jerryg79
10-24-2005, 01:52 PM
My plan is too park the F150 next to the blazer and stick the axle in between the 2 tires. My work happened to have the correct allen wrench and I plan to just use a long cheater!

Your smart, so I hope you would put some wood between the tires and the axle.

Also dont bite off more than you can chew with this thing. Just remember at 4 o'clock on that friday, my truck is leaving with or without your blazer behind it ;) :D

fbronco86
10-24-2005, 02:14 PM
I'll be working on it for sure! Can I buy your Dana 60 hub socket off you?

Yes for a few keystlopes and a dana 44 socket. Long as project "SS" works out I am down for that.

I will bring it this weekend for ya

or who ever I gave my dana hub 44 socket too give it back.

jerryg79
10-24-2005, 02:19 PM
Yes for a few keystlopes and a dana 44 socket. Long as project "SS" works out I am down for that.

I will bring it this weekend for ya

or who ever I gave my dana hub 44 socket too give it back.

I still have mine, and I even tried to give the damn thing away.

Doug Krebs
10-24-2005, 02:31 PM
Your smart, so I hope you would put some wood between the tires and the axle.

Also dont bite off more than you can chew with this thing. Just remember at 4 o'clock on that friday, my truck is leaving with or without your blazer behind it ;) :D

we're leaving that late?

half the stuff I really don't have to do on it. I'm doing the essential stuff first. Once the dana 60 is reassembled I'll work on the arms. Then put it underneath the blazer and build the drag link and tie rod. Then fool with the hydro assist.

Think about what I did before the spring break trip that one year, now think what I can do with adderall! :gigem:

jerryg79
10-24-2005, 02:43 PM
we're leaving that late?

half the stuff I really don't have to do on it. I'm doing the essential stuff first. Once the dana 60 is reassembled I'll work on the arms. Then put it underneath the blazer and build the drag link and tie rod. Then fool with the hydro assist.

Think about what I did before the spring break trip that one year, now think what I can do with adderall! :gigem:

Good I'm glad you have a plan. Per a conversation with Karl it was established that I should probably say something to that effect.

I figure my mom's graduation is a 9AM, ends around 12. Goto a nice lunch done around 2-3.

Obviously this is a little premature (that's my style :D ), but I figured I would drop my truck off with you before graduation. You could put the trailer onthe truck and the blazer on the trailer with everything loaded. And then we just bail when I get there. If we do that I would have to trade cars with you or blair for the day so I could get to graduation, etc.

Samantha wants to head to CS on Thurs night. If that is the case, I would like to stay at yalls house that night. We could have most everything ready to go the night before. Is that cool?

Doug Krebs
10-24-2005, 02:53 PM
Let Karl worry about the klogger and not me! I'm sure I'm going to have to pull that thing around clayton! :flipoff2:

Sounds like a plan to me. You and samantha are welcome to stay thursday night. You can borrow my truck if you'd like or if you're feeling just wild and crazy you can take the radian :rainbow:

I'd like to have the blazer driving by the end of november so I can have 2 weeks to drive it around and find any problems.

I think it's about 6 hours to clayton, so we still might be able to do a little night wheeling depending on when the group leaves!

Doug Krebs
10-24-2005, 03:33 PM
Whats everyone using for dana 60 u joints? Not expensive one's either.

I'm going to take a look at the lock outs tonight. Any idea how strong the stock manual hubs are?

fbronco86
10-24-2005, 03:37 PM
Whats everyone using for dana 60 u joints? Not expensive one's either.

I'm going to take a look at the lock outs tonight. Any idea how strong the stock manual hubs are?

I never broke one. If you are nice to me I have a spare stock ford hub. I could part ways with

Sharpe
10-24-2005, 05:08 PM
I'm running stock sized spicer everything. I know they dont make hubs anymore but mine are in ok shape so I'm keepin em for now. Probably wont bother with upgrading till I break.

Doug Krebs
10-24-2005, 05:47 PM
Kingpins...... Done!!!

In between two tires didn't work... I was almost lifting the blazer in the air and too much flex with the tires.

Right next to me was two perfectly spaced trees, so I used the Craig Knoeller method and stuck the axle between the trees. It also allowed me to put my feet on the garage and push with my legs.

Total time: 15 minutes 10 of which was dicking with the axle between the two trucks.

Fredo
10-24-2005, 05:53 PM
kickass doug! nice method!

Doug Krebs
10-24-2005, 06:56 PM
kickass doug! nice method!

have to give credit to craig!

onto the hubs... they look exactly like warn hubs I think they'll be fine for the time being.

The stock u-joints look Ok, they are just old, so i'll probably replace them.

Other things to do on the dana 60:

cut old shock mounts off, weld new ones on when the axle is underneath.

finish wire brushing the axle and knuckles

paint

reassemble

I hope to have this done buy the weekend so I can start on the arms on saturday.

Frick, if you're reading this when you finding out about that tube for the steering???

jerryg79
10-24-2005, 07:17 PM
Ahh craig and his trees. You can also use them to straighten pieces on mike's trailer :gigem:

Good job doug!

fbronco86
10-24-2005, 09:07 PM
Ahh craig and his trees. You can also use them to straighten pieces on mike's trailer :gigem:

Good job doug!

I do remember using that big ass post oak for that. Dont worry my dad has about 40,000 trees on our place that he watches. Some of them died some come next winter I gotta help replace the dead ones.

jerryg79
10-24-2005, 09:10 PM
I do remember using that big ass post oak for that. Dont worry my dad has about 40,000 tires on our place that he watches. Some of them died some come next winter I gotta help replace the dead ones.

tires?

fbronco86
10-24-2005, 09:10 PM
have to give credit to craig!

onto the hubs... they look exactly like warn hubs I think they'll be fine for the time being.

The stock u-joints look Ok, they are just old, so i'll probably replace them.

Other things to do on the dana 60:

cut old shock mounts off, weld new ones on when the axle is underneath.

finish wire brushing the axle and knuckles

paint

reassemble

I hope to have this done buy the weekend so I can start on the arms on saturday.

Frick, if you're reading this when you finding out about that tube for the steering???

I put those autodrive pos's from oreilys in mine never broke one. I put mine is a pretty good bind a few times. Its all in the casting of the u-joint anyway. you may get a good one you may not. Long as some ass did not put the damn thing in the snow while it was cooling you are prob in good shape. (btw our plant in canada was trying to figure out why the cast gears were breaking and then they found out the foundry up there was putting gears in the snow to cool them)

bburris
10-24-2005, 09:11 PM
Are there a lot of power lines in Kingwood?

fbronco86
10-24-2005, 09:11 PM
tires?

its says trees stupid haha

fbronco86
10-24-2005, 09:12 PM
Are there a lot of power lines in Kingwood?

they run underground so we have no idea :flipoff2:

jerryg79
10-24-2005, 09:13 PM
Mike why is it that I picture you trying to bite your ear while you type :flipoff2:

Doug Krebs
10-24-2005, 09:16 PM
Mike why is it that I picture you trying to bite your ear while you type :flipoff2:

RUFF!

Doug Krebs
10-24-2005, 09:19 PM
Ok, i apparently need a chevy style yoke for the 60 for some reason, anyone haven one laying around?

fbronco86
10-24-2005, 09:26 PM
RUFF!

I am done with the boards for the night :flipoff2:

stx4wheeler
10-24-2005, 09:47 PM
doug calling on steering pipe after i get out of my horrible test tomorrow sorry i ahve been studying lots, and i aslo havea spare ford 60 hub if it will work for you , and am gona try to get another, along with two ford spindles dont know if they are the same, from my old summer parts truck, but it is all relative to time on that. i will call you asap when i get a price on the tube.

CRaSHnBuRN
10-25-2005, 02:49 AM
hey krebs, you just buy this and wheel it. it would be alot easier

http://www.lonestar4x4.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5539

Doug Krebs
10-25-2005, 08:34 AM
hell no, do you see my signature? I dont' need another large piece of ****! I want to spend about $300 on the blazer which most will work on the buggy too.

uglyota
10-25-2005, 10:11 AM
what is going on with those wheels? Cut the centers out of chrome steelies and weld them into hummers?

davido
10-25-2005, 10:20 AM
"4500.00, NO TRADES, NO LOWER, BUYER MUST PICK UP FROM CORPUS"

...."4000 someone come pick it up"

Someone could still buy it and remove the body and make a sweet rig out of it. ~dso

StevenAg03
10-25-2005, 10:53 AM
what is going on with those wheels? Cut the centers out of chrome steelies and weld them into hummers?

they are custom wheels...you can buy them like that chief... :gigem:

uglyota
10-25-2005, 10:56 AM
okay but they use the hummer beadlocking stuff :confused2

TexTJ209
10-25-2005, 10:58 AM
Yeah, they are recentered Hummer wheels.

Sharpe
10-25-2005, 11:00 AM
Goddam yota people...get with the times. They're like Karl's wheels, only better...and safer...

uglyota
10-25-2005, 11:13 AM
Goddam yota people...
so I'm still waiting on a list of your carnage from this weekend :flipoff2:

Doug Krebs
10-25-2005, 07:02 PM
enough with ya'lls gay rims...

David Oliver style, don't scratch it!

Doug Krebs
10-25-2005, 07:15 PM
anyone use rotors that are less than perfect?

one of mine is under about .02, but other than that it's fine

the other one is pitted on both sides for about 3" and it's over by .01. Turning them down .01 isn't going to fix the pitting problem.

I guess the only adverse effects would be chewing up the brake pad quicker? Think it would grab?

On the the thing one, does it matter that much? I don't see .02 under being a huge factor in stopping.

agjohn02
10-25-2005, 07:36 PM
this reminds me. one of mine is under spec. the dangers are that they will get too hot or worse case collapse and lock up.

Doug Krebs
10-25-2005, 07:38 PM
this reminds me. one of mine is under spec. the dangers are that they will get too hot or worse case collapse and lock up.

so, for crawling or the occasional slow ride around town would it be ok? I eventually will replace them, but i'm already spening too much on this.

Doug Krebs
10-25-2005, 07:38 PM
ok, time for another raping...

anyone know where you can get the studs for the steering arm cheaper than $7 a piece??? Thats just crazy!

agjohn02
10-25-2005, 07:57 PM
so, for crawling or the occasional slow ride around town would it be ok? I eventually will replace them, but i'm already spening too much on this.

definately ok for that.

agjohn02
10-25-2005, 07:58 PM
ok, time for another raping...

anyone know where you can get the studs for the steering arm cheaper than $7 a piece??? Thats just crazy!

partsmike?

Doug Krebs
10-25-2005, 08:03 PM
definately ok for that.

what do you think about the pitted one?

eight
10-25-2005, 08:10 PM
Well I'd imagine the studs are just normal studs somethin about 5/8" fine on one side coarse on the other. If I were in need of such a thing, I'd check a business that specializes in fastener sales. It'd need to be close to home so shipping isn't needed.

Or you can just use bolts like most everyone else.

agjohn02
10-25-2005, 08:21 PM
i dunno about the pitted one. just have it turned 10 thousands and see how it cleans up. try it. if it grabs, going slow, then dont use it. id have to see it before id try to guess.

ive read some reason why bolts are a bad idea but i dont remember why.

Doug Krebs
10-27-2005, 11:07 PM
I think I'm just going to use grade 8 threaded rod or something better. I found threaded rod on mcmaster that was similar to the arp bolt properties. I can't see spending 50-65 on 8 studs. Nuts will be lug nuts.

Sand blasted the knuckles and brake plates today. Ran a tap down all the holes only to discover one hole on the steering arm side either was too big and tapped, or a stud ripped out. There is no thread until about 1/3 of an inch down. With the all thread I'll be able to go all the way to the bottom.

agjohn02
10-27-2005, 11:39 PM
[QUOTE=Doug Krebs]Nuts will be lug nuts.

QUOTE]

are they the same taper? the cones cant be that much.

tigweld
10-28-2005, 07:32 AM
lug nuts are what the sky arms come with and I think the taper on the hole is a little more and somewhat shallower than the holes for cones.

fbronco86
10-28-2005, 11:01 AM
I think I'm just going to use grade 8 threaded rod or something better. I found threaded rod on mcmaster that was similar to the arp bolt properties. I can't see spending 50-65 on 8 studs. Nuts will be lug nuts.

Sand blasted the knuckles and brake plates today. Ran a tap down all the holes only to discover one hole on the steering arm side either was too big and tapped, or a stud ripped out. There is no thread until about 1/3 of an inch down. With the all thread I'll be able to go all the way to the bottom.

Is that threaded rod rolled threads?

uglyota
10-28-2005, 12:36 PM
doesn't that defeat the purpose of cone washers? I thought the point was that they had a split in them and would compress around the stud when the nut was tightened down around them :confused2

Doug Krebs
10-28-2005, 01:20 PM
doesn't that defeat the purpose of cone washers? I thought the point was that they had a split in them and would compress around the stud when the nut was tightened down around them :confused2

you're thinking of 10 bolt or dana 44 arms

uglyota
10-28-2005, 01:24 PM
isn't the principle the same?

Doug Krebs
10-28-2005, 01:29 PM
i'm not sure we're talking about the same thing here

uglyota
10-28-2005, 01:34 PM
yota hi-steer arms have 4 tapered holes in them. The studs go through these holes, a split cone washer is dropped onto the stud and fits the taper in the hole, and a nut is tightened onto the stud and down onto the cone washer, pushing the arm down and tightening the cone washer around the stud. The taper and the ability of the washer to compress are important to keeping the assembly together. Very resistant to loosening from vibration.

Doug Krebs
10-28-2005, 01:45 PM
yota hi-steer arms have 4 tapered holes in them. The studs go through these holes, a split cone washer is dropped onto the stud and fits the taper in the hole, and a nut is tightened onto the stud and down onto the cone washer, pushing the arm down and tightening the cone washer around the stud. The taper and the ability of the washer to compress are important to keeping the assembly together. Very resistant to loosening from vibration.

thats like a dana 44 or a to bolt...

dana 60's just have a stud with a tapered stud, like a lug nut, that tightens the arm down.

tigweld
10-28-2005, 01:50 PM
the stud is also smaller than 44's or 10 bolt's

Doug Krebs
10-28-2005, 01:51 PM
the stud is also smaller than 44's or 10 bolt's

1/2-20... find me some quality threaded rod!

uglyota
10-28-2005, 02:00 PM
funk all that noise this is what you need:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=387955

tigweld
10-28-2005, 03:12 PM
I wonder about that welderbuilt guy, builds those bad ass knuckles but his own rig is all pop toob and weld fitings

eight
10-30-2005, 09:23 PM
yes but he is such a badass welder that its the strongest way ever, only if done by him, because he's such a badass welder

uglyota
10-30-2005, 09:54 PM
I think that's what happens when your hobby becomes your job. Working on your rig stops being fun

AgDieseler
10-31-2005, 09:41 AM
Talky talky no more talky. More pictures.

Doug Krebs
11-03-2005, 07:07 PM
currently making the double steering arm... Waiting for the mill to make a 15" long pass. Hopefully I'll get all the holes drilled an bored tonight and then next tues make the final shape. I'll post pics when I get home.

Doug Krebs
11-03-2005, 11:25 PM
pics... couldn't remember what degree the kingpin is offset. I'll finish the rest up tues hopefully

KrazyKarl02
11-03-2005, 11:58 PM
pimp

stx4wheeler
11-04-2005, 04:13 AM
nice toes dougie

Doug Krebs
11-07-2005, 09:15 AM
nice toes dougie

Thank you!

I had a dream about wheeling the blazer last night. I figure it must be a sign to work on it more.

fbronco86
11-07-2005, 09:16 AM
I think its 10 degrees. Hey is that ram gonna work for yeah

Doug Krebs
11-09-2005, 11:39 PM
yeah i thought it was 10 degree's, verified it on the knuckle. Not sure if the ram is going to work yet, when I get the axle under there I'll know for sure. Getting better gas mileage now that it's out of the truck? :flipoff2:

Almost got the double arm done. I precision ground the large radii on the two ends with the angle grinder. Not worth it at this point to waste time on that.

Helped garret start tapping his tierod. I'm too chicken to turn the lathe on and actually "power tap" it, so it's just manual cranking on it, so progress is slow.

I have all of tommorow afternoon off, so I should finish both arms tommorow hopefully.

agjohn02
11-09-2005, 11:50 PM
Almost got the double arm done. I precision ground the large radii on the two ends with the angle grinder. Not worth it at this point to waste time on that.

Helped garret start tapping his tierod. I'm too chicken to turn the lathe on and actually "power tap" it, so it's just manual cranking on it, so progress is slow.

ive got some grinders at the wind tunnel that'll make a great finish on the end of that if you wanna.

i wouldnt turn the lathe on either, not worth it.

Doug Krebs
11-20-2005, 10:00 PM
So I'm getting deeper involved and further behind!

Cooper, Eric, and I went to the junkyard where I jooed the mexican down from $60 to $35. I got a pair of 52" springs, a 2wd steering box, and ford van pitman arm.

The springs are for the front and will move the axle forward, they should also flex better.

The steering box and pitman arm are for the crossover steering. It doesn't have as much drop as I have read or I got the wrong one. It might work though.

CheapJeep
11-20-2005, 10:20 PM
Good find. What yard did ya'll go to. Gordon's? I got jewed there... :confused2

jerryg79
11-21-2005, 06:07 AM
So I'm getting deeper involved and further behind!

Cooper, Eric, and I went to the junkyard where I jooed the mexican down from $60 to $35. I got a pair of 52" springs, a 2wd steering box, and ford van pitman arm.

The springs are for the front and will move the axle forward, they should also flex better.

The steering box and pitman arm are for the crossover steering. It doesn't have as much drop as I have read or I got the wrong one. It might work though.

Less than a month, better get crackin! :flipoff2:

CRaSHnBuRN
11-21-2005, 06:24 AM
yeah, its crunch time (oh ****, I better get to work on my own ****, or at least wash the dirt off from gilmer :D )

Doug Krebs
12-05-2005, 11:54 PM
definately crunch time... You know I'm serious when I start making lists of what and when I need to do :flipoff2:

Goals for tommorow morning:

- take first 15mg of adderall
- press studs out of rotors
- clean bearing hubs
- figure out how many studs need replacing
- cut spring caps for upper kingpin
- weld caps on arms
- machine lower kingpins
- sandblast a few items

Afterclass:

- take second 15mg of adderall :laughing:
- pickup new rotors and lug studs from parts store
- press in lug studs
- drive home

At home:

- finish designing front hangers
- drive to maching shop drill lots of holes and cut out brackets
- weld up front mounts reinstall bumper
- paint various items (remaining 60 parts, leaf spring packs ) in between

Hopefully I get all that accomplished tommorow...

Remaining:

- weld carrier/ install
- install pinion
- change all axle seals
- install/assemble kingpins, steering arms, knuckles
- install spindles
- pack bearings
- install hub/rotor assembly
- install lockout hubs
- install brakes
- bleed brakes

- install leaf packs
- figure out if rear hanger needs to be moved;
if x=0 then skip making shackles;
else make new shackles;
end;

- swap sector shafts
- drill and tap box
- install 2wd pitman arm
- measure for tierod/pitman arm
- buy pipe
- tap pipe
- mount ram
- ram tap up my ass :gigem:

- get 38.5's mounted
- sawsall the **** out of fender where necassary
- driveshaft?!?
- drop soap in shower

Sharpe
12-06-2005, 01:09 AM
You're gonna need to make new shackles regardless of moving the rear hanger.

Shaggy
12-06-2005, 01:27 AM
you have done more in less time without adderall

uglyota
12-06-2005, 10:31 AM
- figure out if rear hanger needs to be moved;
if x=0 then skip making shackles;
else make new shackles;
end;
:laughing:
nerd.

spring hangers working out allright so far? :gigem:

Doug Krebs
12-08-2005, 12:27 PM
Enough with waiting for it to warm up... I'll be working all day today on the blazer. Substituting beer with coffee.

Started at 7:30 this morning. I think I'm more anal than David Oliver with the taping!

Doug Krebs
12-08-2005, 12:32 PM
If anyone decides to stop over, I'll probably have the garage closed, so don't be dettered by that. Also, I'll probalby make a walmart run to get some carb cleaner so I can start cleaning bearings, etc...

Doug Krebs
12-08-2005, 10:05 PM
Wow, learned something new tonight...

Thought i didn't label the bearing caps when I took it apart several years ago. So I went to pirate and started searching... Nothing was in the Dana 60 bible about it. So I starte searching the conventional way. On each cap there is a letter stamped either horizontal or vertical, it's stamped the same way on the housing where the gasket lays.

So the letter A was stamped on mine... I'll take picture and post tonight, maybe it will help someone else.

In the end, I did label them, but I had the races stuck on the caps and it was hiding. However, I didn't remember which way it went, writing in or out.

Shaggy
12-08-2005, 10:09 PM
that is how my dana44 was... still marked it when i took it apart just cause i didnt know at first

eight
Every axle I've taken apart has had the caps marked in some way that made them obvious as to where they go.

Shaggy
but mine used a D and opposite way D

Doug Krebs
12-08-2005, 10:43 PM
Ok I'm dumb, eat my ass :flipoff2:

I'm thinking someone has redone the axle seals at one point in time, unless orange RTV is factory. When I took the carrier out I thought it was odd it didn't have any shims, and I really hadn't thought about it till I was putting it back together. However, the carrier moves horizontally. I don't have a dial indicator here, but using a pair of calipers, it appears to move .015". I really don't have time for this ****! Any suggestions?

Shaggy
12-08-2005, 11:02 PM
i have a dial indicator you can borrow

eight
12-08-2005, 11:23 PM
The carrier shims are behind the carrier bearings. Most of my axles' carriers have been loose enough to be removed easily, but I never had one worn enough to move sideways.

Look like you've got a few choices.
1. Reset the grears. Lots of fun pressing bearings on and off.
2. Put shims in the wrong spots to make it tighter.
3. Say fawk it, it's made it this far, should make another 20 years.

Doug Krebs
12-08-2005, 11:24 PM
i have a dial indicator you can borrow

we've got a couple at work, but thanks for the offer

I think I'm going to bring some shim stock home from work and mess with it a little. I'll do it right after the clayton trip. Hopefully it will be ok

fbronco86
12-09-2005, 09:05 AM

I'm thinking someone has redone the axle seals at one point in time, unless orange RTV is factory. When I took the carrier out I thought it was odd it didn't have any shims, and I really hadn't thought about it till I was putting it back together. However, the carrier moves horizontally. I don't have a dial indicator here, but using a pair of calipers, it appears to move .015". I really don't have time for this ****! Any suggestions?

I have heard you should leave the carrier in the housing or things like that happen. Did the carrier just slide in? I have to beat mine in with a 2x4 and good size hammer. Thats how I set my preload. :gigem:

tigweld
12-09-2005, 10:26 AM

that crappy orange rtv job is factory, that's how every front 60 i've seen is.

jerryg79
12-09-2005, 11:57 AM
alright krebs, i've got multiple voicemails and pm's from naysayers who think i'll be heading up to clayton on Friday sans a trailer...what's it gonna be...I think you can pull it out. :beer:

Shaggy
12-09-2005, 03:13 PM
i think he can... shouldnt be too hard not that much left to do

BMFScout
12-09-2005, 03:19 PM
I'll bet a bottle of Jim Beam Special Reserve or whatever the hell it was, that he makes it! If not, swing through Dallas Thursday night and pick up my scout!

uglyota
12-09-2005, 03:25 PM
wanna drop down into Mississippi and snag the Ugly girl on your way here?

jerryg79
12-09-2005, 03:27 PM
wanna drop down into Mississippi and snag the Ugly girl on your way here?

thought about it but I have time restrictions, and I'm cutting it close at it is.

Doug Krebs
12-10-2005, 09:52 AM
alright krebs, i've got multiple voicemails and pm's from naysayers who think i'll be heading up to clayton on Friday sans a trailer...what's it gonna be...I think you can pull it out. :beer:

WTF??? Who are these little pussies that won't talk **** on here?

It's not like I have to rebuild an engine or some ****. I'm still shooting to go to 47 tommorow now that it's at 2:00. I'd say it's a 75% chance I don't make it tommorow though.

fbronco86
12-10-2005, 10:24 AM
WTF??? Who are these little pussies that won't talk **** on here?

It's not like I have to rebuild an engine or some ****. I'm still shooting to go to 47 tommorow now that it's at 2:00. I'd say it's a 75% chance I don't make it tommorow though.

I aint talking shat.

Doug Krebs
12-10-2005, 03:55 PM
Ok... Midafternoon piss break. Wasted about 2 hours this morning at mack bolt and steel cause they couldn't find 3/4 schedule 80... Anyways wanted to get the steel before they closed.

Got the carrier shimmed, kingpins rebuilt, and the steering arms on. I'm going to start working on the front leaf spring hangers now.

I'll be working all night incase anyone wants to visit. I'll be leaving to drill some holes for the spring hangers. Just call before hand 220-6444.

fbronco86
12-10-2005, 07:38 PM
Put that SOB under the truck and call it good.

Have you looked at the drive shalf yet? I had to get mine shortened a little cause 60 housing sticks out more than a 44.

Shaggy
12-10-2005, 11:27 PM
i think the axle moving forward will help with that problem

Doug Krebs
12-11-2005, 12:45 AM
Put that SOB under the truck and call it good.

Have you looked at the drive shalf yet? I had to get mine shortened a little cause 60 housing sticks out more than a 44.

drive shaft is still a mystery at this point. While the snout is longer on the 60, I'm moving the axle forward a couple inches. We'll see tommorow when I get it under there.

CRaSHnBuRN
12-12-2005, 04:09 AM
so is the D60 in?

Doug Krebs
12-12-2005, 10:39 AM
so is the D60 in?

no, come over and help...

I need a couple of bolts to hold in the springs and then it will be in. Home depot, lowes, and TSC didn't have what I needed so I'll stop by Ace at lunch and get what I need.

jerryg79
12-12-2005, 10:43 AM

I need a couple of bolts to hold in the springs and then it will be in. Home depot, lowes, and TSC didn't have what I needed so I'll stop by Ace at lunch and get what I need.

Sweet, I will call you tonight to work out some logistics etc.

PS I love you

CRaSHnBuRN
12-12-2005, 12:52 PM

yeah, I wish I could, but I'm in the same boat as you. I still need to put the buggy steering back together, fill my propane tanks, and finish the hood. Plus I still have 2 more nights in a weeks worth of graveyards left, and more final to go (just finished one). Right now I've been up for over 24 hours straight, so its time to get a little sleep before going back to work. Hopefully i can spend a little time tommorow morning getting everything back together

Sharpe
12-12-2005, 01:24 PM
Damn 9/16" hardware, its the biggest PITA to find...

tigweld
12-12-2005, 02:47 PM
Damn 9/16" hardware, its the biggest PITA to find...

Why? every industrial fastener supply store around here has'em, even various lengths and thread counts.

Shaggy
12-12-2005, 02:53 PM
i think he was using sarcasm there

davido
12-12-2005, 03:03 PM
I'll let you in on a secret. Doug may be going, but his rig isn't. :flipoff2:

tigweld
12-12-2005, 03:07 PM
oh i didn't realize thanx for pointing it out

uglyota
12-12-2005, 03:08 PM
Hey Jerry your PM box is full. Here is my message:

Dear SnatchAdams:
Long time no see! How you doin man! ***!
Just wanted to drop you a line and say hi.
Oh btw I heard doug won't have the blazer ready by this weekend, wanna tow my rig for me? I can pay 1/4 gas and will even bring sodas and chips. Oh and we have to use Doug's trailer ***!!!!
-Eric

mudtoy67
12-12-2005, 03:10 PM
I'm coming to town tomorrow after my last final......I'll come over and help ya. :)

mudtoy67
12-12-2005, 03:41 PM
Also if there's anything you can't find in CS and you know where to get it down here I don't mind picking anything up and bringing it up. Like your hard to find bolts.

davido
12-12-2005, 04:04 PM
Doug, have you tried A+ or whatever that place is on Texas by Villa Maria? That's who had my G8 5/8 bolts for my D-60.

BMFScout
12-12-2005, 04:07 PM
all they sell is bolts and screws, if they don't have it I would laugh at them and ask them why they are in business. They probably will, next to Wendy's.

*Edit: I think we are talking about Ace, the place Doug said he was going at lunch.

Shaggy
12-12-2005, 04:15 PM
yes.... are yall really serious that he may not get it together?

Shaggy
12-12-2005, 04:16 PM
should have left the 10 bolt in till he had the 60 all together

Fredo
12-12-2005, 04:45 PM
Doubters! Damn Dirty Doubters!!!! :flipoff2:

Shaggy
12-12-2005, 04:46 PM
i believe in you dougie

davido
12-12-2005, 04:59 PM
Yes, Ace would be the place I was refering to. You would think that since I was there this morning that I would be able to remember the name. Anywho, glad he stopped by there. He's got a plan down, but there are a lot of loose ends. I'm mostly giving him **** (because I can since he doesn't surf from work).

He'll probably make it just in time with some long nights ahead.

Doug Krebs
12-12-2005, 07:36 PM
all of you are *******s! It will make it like a champ, although if anyone has a battery powered sawsall that my come in handy on the trail :D

uglyota
12-12-2005, 08:23 PM
I'll bring a hatchet. It will removes pesky sheetmetal quickly and runs on beer :D

davido
12-13-2005, 12:47 AM
I have a DeWalt 18V sawsall. I'll be sure to bring it. :)

Sharpe
12-13-2005, 01:20 AM
I was actually serious about the 9/16" hardware. Yes most fastener specific stores sell them but TSC doesnt and therefor I have to go out of my way to get them, as a result they are a PITA to get...

Doug Krebs
12-13-2005, 02:11 AM
decent progres tonight, even though there was a big yellow toyota turd in the driveway distracting me...

Axle is about 12 bolts from being underneath the blazer. I moved the rear spring hangers forward and didn't buy the bolts for them.

Bumper's back on which means the front spring hangers are back on and the leaf springs are attatched.

Plans for tommorow (I don't have work)...

- Get bolts, drill new shackles, hang the 60

- figure out what degree I need to mill the shims for a decent pinion angle

- change sector shaft from 4wd to 2wd, install ford van pitman arm, tap the box

- figure out lengths for Draglink and TRE

- go to machine shop, tap ends, install

Hopefully I get all that done in an orderly fashion and am finished early. However, I don't expect to get more than that done. If so...

- Press in new lug studs

- Pack bearings, install hub and rotors

- Install brakes (bleed later as I still need to figure out whats wrong with the rear caliper)

- set the ***** on tires!

BDR if you help, I'll supply beer and food, although I'm not drinking till it's on its wheels.

mudtoy67
12-13-2005, 02:30 AM
Cool. My exam is over by 5, so I should be up there by 7 or so, and can stay as late as you need.

Sharpe
12-13-2005, 02:38 AM
The shimks I have are 6 degrees and my pinion angle is prety good.

Fredo
12-13-2005, 03:34 AM
BDR if you help, I'll supply beer and food, although I'm not drinking till it's on its wheels.

I feel you on that one doug. Jimmy and I have been that way for the past two weeks. Jimmy thinks he might have lost a pound or two...it's crazy.

Doug Krebs
12-13-2005, 08:43 AM
When I wake up my hands are stiffer than my weinus!

Lets do it Bobby! Off to get bolts.

Doug Krebs
12-14-2005, 03:44 AM
First off I would like to have sex with tate's drill, that thing kicks ass!

Made good progress today, slow, but good. I stopped caring about things looking good...

Got the suspension installed and the 60 underneath it. The way I mounted my springs are giving me some serious pinion angle issues. Right now it's pointed at the ground about 9ish degrees. I made some 10 degree shims and I'm afraid if i go more it might spit them out. I think I'm going to redrill the shackles up and inch or so. I don't think I need all the length on them.

Also, got the 2wd sector shaft in and the pitman arm installed.

Got the tie rod and drag link tapped. Got the drag linked sleeved, but had to stop pounding on the tie rod due to an angry sick wife at 2AM. Sleeving them worked better than I though it would...

Plans for tommorow after work...

- Finish shims and install
- Finish sleeving the tie rod
- Install tie rod and draglink
- Press in lug studs if the SAE guys are there, if not do it first thing thursday morning

- Torch off remaing spring hangers to provide more clearance for the springs
- Pack bearings and install rotor and hub
- Install brakes
- Figure out which caliper is sticking on the 14 bolt and why

May not get all of that done, but I'd like to at least drive for an hour or so on thurs just to make sure everything is right.

Thursday is hopefully the day to tie up loose ends, change oil, etc...

The last major task is the drive shaft. I'm calling carruth dogget to see if they have any coarse spline PTO shafts. I'm sure they do but I might not be willing to pay for it. If not square driveshaft city.

IF and only if I get all this done will I screw with hydro assist. Crossover it self will probably be heaven compared to what I'm used too.

Special thanks to BDR for helping me with the tierods. He machined and tapped them while I worked on milling the shims, although I think he had fun playing with the lathe :beer:

Fredo
12-14-2005, 03:52 AM
kickass Doug! Keep up the good work!

StevenAg03
12-14-2005, 09:03 AM
pics?

uglyota
12-14-2005, 12:33 PM
did you make the shims aluminum or steel? If they're steel weld them to your perches

Doug Krebs
12-14-2005, 01:41 PM
did you make the shims aluminum or steel? If they're steel weld them to your perches

steel, I could give them a couple tack welds...

i'll get pics when i have time

fbronco86
12-14-2005, 06:38 PM
steel, I could give them a couple tack welds...

i'll get pics when i have time

get er done

AgDieseler
12-15-2005, 12:49 AM
I just want pics of that thing wheeling again. Nice Dougie-Poo.

KrazyKarl02
12-15-2005, 09:04 AM
How's the progress today? Keep the adderall drip going!

Doug Krebs
12-15-2005, 03:48 PM
everything is bolted up in the front...

brakes on...

making shims and driveshaft right now at the machine shop

hopefully i'll be done tonight and finish up any loose ends in the morning

BMFScout
12-15-2005, 04:48 PM
F'n A Dougie! Let's geet it awn!!

Doug Krebs
12-15-2005, 05:58 PM
Finished making circles into squares for the drive shaft... Once I get home and get the shims on I'll pound the weld on the ends and then figure out the length I need as I made them long...

Then I'll tie up loose ends...

Bleed brakes
spool winch
tie down the batteries
check oil
fill diff
calm the **** down
drink a god forsaken beer
install drive shaft
pack

I got all of tommorow morning to finish anything else... Also need to bring the tires in to get swapped... maybe I'll do that when i get home if all my jackstands are being used by people doing brake jobs :flipoff2:

Doug Krebs
12-16-2005, 01:31 AM
few things to finish up in the morning...

then roll out

fbronco86
12-16-2005, 08:43 AM
few things to finish up in the morning...

then roll out

Sweet action.

Chadnutz
12-16-2005, 10:17 AM
Nothing like finishing at the last minute and testing your shiz on a trail 6 hours away. Good luck! :flipoff2:

jerryg79
10-10-2006, 02:12 PM
Blazer Revival Part 33-1/3

This time it counts!...er something :D

Doug Krebs
10-10-2006, 02:15 PM
Nothing like finishing at the last minute and testing your shiz on a trail 6 hours away. Good luck! :flipoff2:

Yeah, so that sucked major balls. I didn't have a good time and for the first time actually disliked wheeling.

So... Round 2!

Plan is to finish up loose ends and to fix whatever problems it has. Only new thing will be hydrosteering, and only after everything else is finished.

Loose ends:

Front shocks which includes welding mounts on the axle and frame.
New yoke on pinion and drive shaft
Securing front brake lines.
Fix steering, which includes a new tierod.
Bump stops.
Fix winch.
Tidy up interior wiring.
Repair onboard air.

I'd like to test it at least twice. Hell, as soon as I'm done with the major crap, I'll take it to 47 as often as I can.

BMFScout
10-10-2006, 02:35 PM
Oct 21 at Gilmer, be there, be there, be there!!

Doug Krebs
10-10-2006, 02:58 PM
Oct 21 at Gilmer, be there, be there, be there!!

Sister-in-laws wedding, not an option.

Doug Krebs
10-10-2006, 03:27 PM
Karl, any chance you could swing buy the property and take the gas tank from ron's suburban? It's a 15 gallon and would give me some better clearance.

I wouldn't mess with it, but I'm going to have to drop the tank anyways. When I started it a couple days ago gas was leaking from somewhere above the tank. I'm assuming it's rotted fuel lines.

If you come into town this weekend I give you key?

jerryg79
10-10-2006, 03:35 PM
Too bad, I'm headed up to the lake this weekend, could've swung by if me hadum key. GF would probably have b!tched anyway, so prob better.

AgDieseler
10-10-2006, 03:56 PM
...Tidy up interior wiring...
That has been an ongoing project since 2000. :flipoff2: Ask Wolverton for pictures.

Doug Krebs
10-10-2006, 03:58 PM
That has been an ongoing project since 2000. :flipoff2: Ask Wolverton for pictures.

***... You should see it now! In 2003 I converted it to push button start. The push button for the starter, and the toggle for the ignition is just wrapped around the steering column. Wires all over the place!

Doug Krebs
10-10-2006, 03:59 PM
Too bad, I'm headed up to the lake this weekend, could've swung by if me hadum key. GF would probably have b!tched anyway, so prob better.

Wouldn't that be out of your way? No worries, I don't have the time to mess with it for at least 2 weeks.

KrazyKarl02
10-10-2006, 04:33 PM
If you come into town this weekend I give you key?

Is the tank still physically attached? I can get it, have to get the keys this weekend and bring it to you some other weekend.

Oh and you owe me something that is inappropriate for to mention in a public forum for this!!!!

jerryg79
10-10-2006, 04:43 PM
Wouldn't that be out of your way? No worries, I don't have the time to mess with it for at least 2 weeks.

Not totally, just come back via 59, goto kreboperty, cut back to 45 on 242. Plus they gots cheap diesel at the flying J on 59 and 242 :gigem: It wouldnt bother me, now not sure sammy would be excited about sitting in mosquitos while i disassemble a crappy suburban.

Doug Krebs
10-10-2006, 04:51 PM
Is the tank still physically attached? I can get it, have to get the keys this weekend and bring it to you some other weekend.

Oh and you owe me something that is inappropriate for to mention in a public forum for this!!!!

I'm assuming it's still attatched. It would require unbolting, taking apart the gas lines/cut them, and undoing the electrical connections.

I'd like the hardware (the two straps that wrap underneath) but sometimes the bolts don't of easy.

Maybe you stop by and squirt some Kroil :flipoff2: on them this weekend, and then pick it up the next game weekend?

I will do all inappropriate acts regardless!

CRaSHnBuRN
10-10-2006, 05:29 PM
you doing hydro assist? I'm going to be ordering parts from surplus center soon. Figure out what you will need and we could get a group buy together on that as well

Doug Krebs
10-10-2006, 05:43 PM
you doing hydro assist? I'm going to be ordering parts from surplus center soon. Figure out what you will need and we could get a group buy together on that as well

I have everything I need already, well I need to pay mike for the ram if i use it. What ram are you using out of curiousity?

CRaSHnBuRN
10-10-2006, 05:45 PM
I think I listed it on my buildup thread. Its a 1.5x8 with a .75 rod, made by columbus. I used one very similar to it on the buggy, and was very happy with it.

Doug Krebs
10-25-2006, 08:39 PM
another thing I might like to do is quite down the exhaust. Right now it's true dual with a flow master per side and dumped before the rear axle.

Who's got a cheap solution to quiet it down? Also, making it come out the back somewhere would probably help with inspection if I decide to do that.

I have no problems buying bends and chopping them up.

agjohn02
10-25-2006, 08:51 PM
my dual in single out magnaflow is quite at idle and road speed but sounds good at higher rpm. this from an old man who doesnt like his vehicles loud anymore.

stx4wheeler
10-26-2006, 08:26 AM
i scraped my headers, went from true duals to one single 3 inch flowmaster 80 series. and ran it all the way out the back mucho quiter now.

sasquatch
10-26-2006, 10:34 AM
another thing I might like to do is quite down the exhaust. Right now it's true dual with a flow master per side and dumped before the rear axle.

Who's got a cheap solution to quiet it down? Also, making it come out the back somewhere would probably help with inspection if I decide to do that.

if you dont want to do much work, just replace the mufflers with quieter ones

jerryg79
10-26-2006, 10:36 AM

who cares how loud it is if it cant even make it to the trail?

DRAGOONRANCH
10-26-2006, 10:41 AM

x2 on the quieter muffler and if I remember right, all you need is a turndown 6"s from the back of the cab.

Oops, this is blazer, I forget things sometimes. Guess it might be out the back then. How about turn out infront of tires?

fbronco86
10-26-2006, 12:20 PM

None of this matter unless Blair has approved this project :flipoff2:

BMFScout
10-26-2006, 12:41 PM
None of this matter unless Blair has approved this project :flipoff2:

says the guy that missed the off-road event last weekend to hang out with his girlfriend.

(still pissed about the xr100 crack ;) )

jerryg79
10-26-2006, 12:42 PM
says the guy that missed the off-road event last weekend to hang out with his girlfriend.

nice :gigem:

fbronco86
10-26-2006, 12:48 PM

Maybe one day you can step up to a XR125 :gigem:

BMFScout
10-26-2006, 01:00 PM
I'm also pissed you weren't there because Karl and me had to cook.

Doug Krebs
10-26-2006, 01:15 PM

Thought we we're going to go up to the barn and put on new exhaust?

This will be the last thing I do.

I'll probably drop the tank this weekend and make a new tierod.

eight
10-29-2006, 05:04 PM
Yea run a single exhaust out the back. That'll make it much quieter. If you've heard me jeep lately all it has is a 24" glasspack but with a single 3" run out the back it is not loud. Duals are allways louder.

Doug Krebs
10-31-2006, 01:16 AM
Hmm... need to get started soon, but I can't neglect school.

This weekend I must get the gas tank situation figured out and a new tie rod. I have a test on Tues, so I need all of sunday to get prepared for that.

After test on tues, I'm free for a while, except a damn wedding on the 11th. Between tuesday and friday I'd like to get the shock situation rectified. I also need to get a new yoke and fix the driveshaft.

I'd like to wheel it on the 12th at 47, but I think that's pushing for time, especially since I have the wedding that weekend.

I can probably work on it a decent amount during thanksgiving, which would probably consist of the hydroassist.

Hopefully wheel again before clayton and tie up loose ends.

Doug Krebs
11-07-2006, 10:17 PM
Craptastic, nothing can ever be easy! Since I was gay and put the tierod on the back of the axle it's going to be hard to place the shock. Unless I was to have shock mounts about 8 inches long there's no way to angle the shock of the back towards the cab.

I'm probably going to have to make a pretty decent sized shock hoop, as there isn't alot of room to put a long shock as it sits now. The ford shock towers are kinda useless unless you can angle them back. Reason being is the steering shaft comes in at angle from the cab and close to the frame. The shock hoop will have to clear this as well. :(

Anyone have some short pieces of 1.25" tubing? I'll probably need 2 5' lengths or so. If no one has any, I might see how much carwash will charge.

agjohn02
11-07-2006, 10:19 PM
you got me, carwash?

Doug Krebs
11-07-2006, 10:24 PM
you got me, carwash?

he sells tubing on pirate. Some how he gets it for a really good deal. I don't think he does big orders or long orders as he has to ship it. From what I remember his prices are pretty good. Probably easier than calling up all the yahoo's around here and then they have to order it in anyways.

agjohn02
11-07-2006, 10:29 PM
ah, yes. i bet you can get pre-bent shock hoops for a k5.

eight
11-07-2006, 10:30 PM
Scrap those stupid arms and put the tie rod in the stock location on the knuckles. Its easy and it works.

Doug Krebs
11-07-2006, 10:40 PM
ah, yes. i bet you can get pre-bent shock hoops for a k5.
Probably but I'd bet they'd be more than I can build them for and I'd most likely have to modify them. The axle is a couple inches forward from stock and they most likely would be too short.

Doug Krebs
11-07-2006, 10:43 PM
Scrap those stupid arms and put the tie rod in the stock location on the knuckles. Its easy and it works.

Probably be less work at the moment, but probably cost more money. Shouldn't be too much more trouble then monkeying around with the ford towers. The mount on the axle will be pretty damn simple.

JeepPhisherman
11-07-2006, 10:46 PM
I've seen some 12" shock hoop kits for toys for like $45. They come in pieces so they're customizable. I'll find the link if you want.