PDA

View Full Version : Brake Help

JB
10-18-2005, 02:37 PM
My little brother wore the pads down to the rotors, metal on metal, on his 99 Tahoe. I bought new rotors and warrantied the pads. I am trying to compress the piston with my c-clamp, but it is not budging. This is on the side that was bad. The other side went fine. The piston is sticking pretty far out. I beat on it with a hammer a little bit to see if it was jsut stuck, but no such luck. Is it frozen up and in need of replacing?

Brake fluid for the front was also very low.

Need help quick. Thanks

StevenAg03
10-18-2005, 02:40 PM
did you take the lid off of the master cylinder?

if all else fails, replace it....they should be cheap...

agjohn02
10-18-2005, 02:42 PM
just take it to the parts store and get a new one. its way easier than rebuilding it yourself and not that expensive iirc.

Shaggy
10-18-2005, 02:59 PM
rebuilding is probably not worth it on that truck but on my dana60 it was way cheaper... it doesnt look to be too hard either... i bought the kit like a year ago and set it in a box with the calipers... its on my list... damn that is one hell of a long list too

JB
10-18-2005, 03:40 PM
Thanks, I got a new one for $15.

Anything special about bleeding this corner, since it is ABS?

stx4wheeler
10-18-2005, 04:10 PM
tate it isnt hard to do i did it on my 44.

JB
10-18-2005, 07:24 PM
i bled it normal style although the manual says to do something special with the combination valve. It seems fine, albeit a little spongy, but little bro says that is how it usually is.

I assume the piston just extended to far (no pad left either side of rotor) and got stuck.

Thanks for the help

fbronco86
10-18-2005, 08:07 PM
i bled it normal style although the manual says to do something special with the combination valve. It seems fine, albeit a little spongy, but little bro says that is how it usually is.

I assume the piston just extended to far (no pad left either side of rotor) and got stuck.

Thanks for the help

my truck has a bleeder on the abs unit