PDA

View Full Version : almost ready

bigFAWKINranger
09-18-2002, 09:52 PM
here's the latest problem with the preparation for my solid axle. i need to know the EXACT mounting location of a YJ steering box in relation to the axle tube. i have estimated where i think the box SHOULD go and it appears that my lower radiator hose is right in the damn way. my options as i see now are as follows:
a> fab a steering box drop bracket
b> relocate the radiator to the bed
c> mount the box closer to the axle than normal and shorten the draglink

i think i could do A, but am not crazy about the idea. i can do B if i know where to get like, 30 feet of radiator hose, and i'm not sure if C is even feasable with bumpsteer issues present. advice??? please help, this is pretty much all i lack now.

froader03
09-18-2002, 10:11 PM
I've seen that radiator-in-the-bed job and although the guy says it works I have serious doubts about the amount of air supplied by a scoop above the cab to what would come through the grill...

just a thought

BigRedFord04
09-18-2002, 10:34 PM
different radiator? have you looked into how the radiators and hoses go on other such vehicles? XJs? you can always use flex hose to make it fit the engine, and w/o the fan you dont have to worry about that hitting the hose

JB
09-18-2002, 10:36 PM
the drop bracket seems like it might be kinda weak as well as way n-rigged. Relocating to the bed seem like it would be a pain in the ass. I think I would go with option C if I had a choice between the two

BigRedFord04
09-18-2002, 10:38 PM
yeah...i'm also thinkin' that shorter drag link is the way to go...gotta be just like big brother you know? :D ... mini me... :D

bburris
09-18-2002, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by BigRedFord04
... mini me...

or LittleRedFord04

BigRedFord04
09-18-2002, 11:06 PM
we've already taken care of it...

NigRedFord

:D

bigFAWKINranger
09-21-2002, 12:54 PM
yeah i came up with NIGREDFORD04... even though after thinkin about it, there's really not anything nigged on my truck with the exception of mine and flem's custom metal fab to make my brush guard fit the 3" body lift.

but none of that helps me with this problem.... i appreciate the input, but does anybody have any NEW ideas aside from the 3 i posted?

if i can't get that steering box in there, i'm stuck with IFS.... ALL i have to do is be able to get the radiator and lower hose OUT OF THE WAY of the gear box....

where the **** is scott schubring???? troy???? jimmy brune???? all you ****ers are good at this kinda ****....

BMFScout
09-22-2002, 07:10 PM
It is hard to tell you what to do on it without a visual. I would not relocate the radiator that is for sure, maybe a different radiator? Like I said, without seeing it, I can't really give any good advice.

BigRedFord04
09-22-2002, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by BigRedFord04
different radiator? have you looked into how the radiators and hoses go on other such vehicles? XJs? you can always use flex hose to make it fit the engine, and w/o the fan you dont have to worry about that hitting the hose

Originally posted by BMFScout
...maybe a different radiator?...

bigFAWKINranger
09-22-2002, 07:16 PM
It is hard to tell you what to do on it without a visual. I would not relocate the radiator that is for sure, maybe a different radiator? Like I said, without seeing it, I can't really give any good advice.

if i spring it under i think i can make it work... i'll just hafta mount the box a little farther toward the cab than i had wanted to.... but i want it sprung over damnit! whats the drawback to relocating the radiator??? wouldn't it cool better if it were away from the hot-ass engine compartment??

aggielr
09-22-2002, 07:20 PM
u need air to flow through the radiator to keep the coolant cool, moving the radiator 1 or 2 inches would probably be ok, but if you start blockin too much of it, then your askin for heat problems

BigRedFord04
09-22-2002, 07:23 PM
he's got an electric fan on dat biotch...i dont think between that and the extra 3-4 gallons of coolant in all the long ass hose to the bed he'd have a whole lotta cooling probs, i just think an alternative method might be less work...gotta cater to mine and nix's lazy nature since i'll be helping.

aggielr
09-22-2002, 07:48 PM
if the headlights and **** are blockin the radiator then them electric fans won't help none, and puttin them in the bed would work w/ electric fans, but damn that would be a lot of work, and if u bust a hose on that, good luck tryin to find another one locally

bigFAWKINranger
09-22-2002, 11:28 PM
thanx for the info landon, but i already know how my cooling system works. i simply need to figure out how to get my damn radiator out of the way of my future steering box. where the hell WOULD i get all that radiator hose at???
i mean, whats the harm in moving the radiator to the bed right now, before i even start the SAS, and if i find it to be a crappy mod, just use the stock hoses to put it back in place?
i am leaning heavily toward the DUAL electric fans on a LARGER than stock bed mounted radiator... any advice??

BigRedFord04
09-22-2002, 11:45 PM
the hose might be pretty expensive, i bought one when i did my body lift b.c. i wasnt sure if i was going to need it...3 feet was $30...tractor supply might be able to do you better. new radiator, fans...i know you're not retarded, but that **** adds up quick.

Rex
09-23-2002, 08:30 AM
I don't know if this would work or not, but you might be able to take it to a muffler shop or something and have them make you a pipe under your truck instead of having a long hose. Then you could just have a short hose from the radiator to the pipe and the pipe to the water pump. And if it ever broke, you could cut the pipe and put a small piece of hose in where it broke. Just a thought. :D

bigFAWKINranger
09-24-2002, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Rex
I don't know if this would work or not, but you might be able to take it to a muffler shop or something and have them make you a pipe under your truck instead of having a long hose. Then you could just have a short hose from the radiator to the pipe and the pipe to the water pump. And if it ever broke, you could cut the pipe and put a small piece of hose in where it broke. Just a thought. :D

funny... i actually thought of that.... then i second-guessed myself.... but it sounds like the best plan of action to me.

BMFScout
09-24-2002, 05:40 PM
no offense, and it is your truck, but a radiator in the bed sounds very ghetto to me. A custom radiator, although not cheap, would have way better results I would think. Could you run the steering behind the axle? Just another idea to think about.

bigFAWKINranger
09-24-2002, 06:12 PM
no offense, and it is your truck, but a radiator in the bed sounds very ghetto to me. A custom radiator, although not cheap, would have way better results I would think. Could you run the steering behind the axle? Just another idea to think about.

BEHIND???? how the crap would i do that???

it sounds easier to just put the rear axle in the front and the front axle in the rear and have rear wheel steering:rolleyes:

how would i put the box behind the axle?

redcagepatrol
09-24-2002, 07:17 PM
Adam,

DO NOT put the radiator in the bed! I thought you were trying tio get away from the red-reck look???

Use a different gear box that mounts on the outside of the frame and has the shaft sticking out under the frame. This would allow you to go beneath the radiator (and hoses).

Steering behind the axle is the other best bet. Get a high pinion and put the tie rod under the driveshaft or use a regular axle and go over the springs. It is all very possible if you make or buy some custom steering arms. Look at the ones on DavidO's cruiser, I might also put mine behine the axle (like it came from the factory)

BigRedFord04
09-25-2002, 12:34 AM
steering boxes in 76-79 F150s and 78-79 Broncos were outside the frame...i know this b.c. its the reason my steering is f*cked up.

Broncocustom
09-25-2002, 09:10 PM
I have an extra steering box from a 79 bronco I sell you.

bigFAWKINranger
09-26-2002, 07:11 PM
thanks for all the advice. my friend suggested that the 95 rangers still had a steering box right where MINE will be... and that the motor and radiator are the same. therefore the lower radiator hose comes from the factory CURVED to go around the steering box.... problem solved... i assume.