PDA

View Full Version : Figured out "driveshaft noise"

CheapJeep
10-21-2005, 08:27 PM
If you went on the Alto trip or to 47 you've probably heard the popping noise coming from underneath my truck. Well I had to come back to Conroe for today and part of tomorrow to tend to the horses and tonight while I was up at my shop I decided to put it in 4wd and drive around the back pasture. I did an investigation by keeping my door open and hopped out for a second and found out that it's the front driveshaft that's making all the noise. Not the c.v.'s like we all thought, but the front driveshaft. I don't think it's a worn out u-joint because the 4wd still works, but the driveshaft seems to be binding up, then when you give it some gas it releases which in turn produces the popping noise. Any suggestions as to what might be causing this "binding"? On a side note for the Jeep, I did mount the new power steering box. Tomorrow I'm going to get the Claws mounted. :gigem:

jerryg79
10-21-2005, 09:05 PM
U joints are cheap, throw $20 at it and see if that solves the problem, usually it does.

bburris
10-21-2005, 09:08 PM
You have a front CV driveshaft. Try spraying a healthy amount of lithium grease into the rubber thing the CV ball rides in and see if that takes away any of the noise. You're probably overdue for a CV rebuild and new u-joints.

JB
10-21-2005, 09:22 PM
You have a front CV driveshaft. Try spraying a healthy amount of lithium grease into the rubber thing the CV ball rides in and see if that takes away any of the noise. You're probably overdue for a CV rebuild and new u-joints.

agreed

Sharpe
10-23-2005, 01:11 AM
A front cv shaft? All IFS chevies I've seen have a single u-joint on each end (non-cv) shaft going from the transfer case to the front differential and then regular cv half shafts going to each wheel. It sounded like he narrowed it down to the t-case to differential driveshaft. I say throw some new u-joints in and call it good.

bburris
10-23-2005, 05:20 AM
Yes Mr. Wizard, I was talking about the front CV driveshaft - Not the CV axleshafts. The suburban we tore apart had a Spicer CV on its front driveshaft, so I was going on that experience.