PDA

View Full Version : motor mounts

bburris
10-27-2005, 02:37 AM
I bought a set of these (http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/kit_mm29.htm) a while back when I first started gathering parts for my Jeep's future. There was a 4.3 or SBC included in that until a couple of months ago... Now I'm presumably looking at a bit more torque and about 100 more pounds of weight. I'm not that positive that those motor mounts will be the greatest idea I've had today, even though they are advertised as being able to handle the load.

What have some of you guys that have fabbed your own done, or where have you bought yours? No one seems to make anything specifically for a TJ, so it looks like I'll need to do some kustomizing any way I apporach this.

agjohn02
10-27-2005, 06:25 AM
There was a 4.3 or SBC included in that until a couple of months ago... Now I'm presumably looking at a bit more torque and about 100 more pounds of weight.

what weighs 100 lbs more than a sbc and makes a "bit more torque"?

CRaSHnBuRN
10-27-2005, 06:37 AM
454?

davido
10-27-2005, 08:08 AM
Have you ever looked at stock motor mounts? Those should be fine still. If you're really concerned, call Novak and ask what they think. They'll know best.

Jackasic
10-27-2005, 08:20 AM
those look like the ones chris has, if so they suck. I would just use stock mounts and either build my own brakets or go some rought like what dave has.

Cajun
10-27-2005, 08:23 AM
Build your own. YJ spring bushings, 1.5" sch. 80 pipe, round/square/rectangular tube, and plate. Cut. Weld. Done. :D

bburris
10-27-2005, 08:48 AM
I can't really reuse the stock ones since they are in another vehicle and I'm pretty sure it isn't going to give them up. Is that what you guys are suggesting when you say use the stock stuff?

TxCruzr
10-27-2005, 09:49 AM
Build your own. YJ spring bushings, 1.5" sch. 80 pipe, round/square/rectangular tube, and plate. Cut. Weld. Done. :D

Do em like this. I have the AA ones that are the same style and they suck. It allows the motor to shift to much on that bushing. One minute the bolt is straight up in down and then next it shifts over and is going down at an angle. :rolleyes: They'll be gone after christmas though.

heres some ideas http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=361977

uglyota
10-27-2005, 10:17 AM
what weighs 100 lbs more than a sbc and makes a "bit more torque"?
spill it

bburris
10-27-2005, 10:49 AM
That link has a pretty cool mount in it, but I can't figure out if the person I replied to is talking about the Bob Firestine mount everyone is talking about or the bushing style mount. I guess I'm going to AutoZone to have a looksee.

I report back after lunch.

Sharpe
10-27-2005, 10:50 AM
Its a TBI 454 out of the 90 GMC crewcab I sold him. I say fab your own mounts. On pigpen I made my engine crossmember out of 2" 1/4 wall square tube and used 2" 1/4 wall round tube and 1 1/2" ORD polyurethane suspension bushings. It worked out prety damn well. The only "problem" was that I had to drill the stock motor mount brackets out to 9/16" for the bushing's bolt, no biggie though.

stx4wheeler
10-27-2005, 11:02 AM
its a 454 with what was almost my tbi setup, "chris farley voice on" you BASTARD" voice off. yeha i agree with the rest of them make you own and be done with it.

davido
10-27-2005, 11:13 AM
OK, so they do suck. Ebay them and make your own. It always seems to come down to that. Sounds like you and Andy have the same sickness.

Oh yeah, be sure to make a template from the block mount end before you get rid of it.

Fredo
10-27-2005, 11:21 AM
will a BBC even fit in a TJ? I thought a SBC was fairly tight in one and I think there is more than 100lbs between the two motors.

Sharpe
10-27-2005, 11:26 AM
All steel SBC ~550 all steel BBC ~750. Just FYI 6.2 ~650...

bburris
10-27-2005, 11:43 AM
According to this (http://www.carnut.com/specs/engdim.html) a SBC is 575 and a BBC is 685. And 6.2s still blow ass.

It'll fit. Especially after I take care of a few mounts that are in the way.

TxCruzr
10-27-2005, 11:44 AM
Saw a TJ with a BBC a few years ago at one of the calrock evens at katemcy. It can be done. Didn't seem like there was much room for anything else though.

Fredo
10-27-2005, 11:50 AM
I remember that TJ that had the v10 in it now that I think about it. Hell, if that fat bastard will fit, then a BBC shouldn't be that big of a deal.

bburris
10-27-2005, 11:50 AM
That was SWINE's Jeep.

http://www.texasoffroad.net/albums/lonestar/album112/swine3.sized.jpg

agjohn02
10-27-2005, 11:53 AM
..a TBI 454 out of the 90 GMC crewcab...

for some reason i dont like this idea.

heres my version

http://tamor.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4595&stc=1

http://tamor.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4597&stc=1

bburris
10-27-2005, 01:05 PM
for some reason i dont like this idea.
Reason?

Those mounts look really nice. I think that's what I'm going to shoot for.

uglyota
10-27-2005, 01:34 PM
http://rdsd.com/albums/album03/gibby34.jpg
http://rdsd.com/albums/album03/gibby27.jpg

agjohn02
10-27-2005, 02:55 PM
^those mounts will cave in the framerail. ask me how i know.

Fredo
10-27-2005, 03:41 PM
^those mounts will cave in the framerail. ask me how i know.

It should be built the other way. the box and tabs should be on the frame and the tube and bushing on the engine side with the "outrigger".

Sharpe
10-27-2005, 04:57 PM
According to this (http://www.carnut.com/specs/engdim.html) a SBC is 575 and a BBC is 685. And 6.2s still blow ass.

It'll fit. Especially after I take care of a few mounts that are in the way.
You blow ass...and 6.2s blow smoke and smell like ass, get your **** straight.

mudtoy67
10-27-2005, 05:13 PM
It should be built the other way. the box and tabs should be on the frame and the tube and bushing on the engine side with the "outrigger".

I saw someone else did that on Pirate and it worked, but it seems like it would be putting a lot more stress on the block (i.e. since the pivot point would be farther from the block, the mount bolted to the block would want to be "twisting" upward). Seems like this could lead toward possible block cracking. Just food for thought.

I think it would be better to reinforce the frame and use a mount like Eric showed, or use the clamshell style mounts like John.

TxCruzr
10-27-2005, 05:19 PM
Nice art work but whats with the donut at the bottom. I can make out the engine block and the mount but the donut is throwing me off. :flipoff2:
Most of the ones I have seen with that style mount use the bushing end on the block and have the long arm on mount to the frame. If you put a nice scab plate over the frame it should hold up nicely. Granted I've only seen one person rip the block apart at the motor mount so either way should be fine.

Fredo
10-27-2005, 05:28 PM
yeah, but don't build it like that. Use two triangular pieces to the bushing that extend to the ends of the bracket. Then cap the tops and bottom of the two pieces. Like this:

mudtoy67
10-27-2005, 05:38 PM
yeah, but don't build it like that. Use two triangular pieces to the bushing that extend to the ends of the bracket. Then cap the tops and bottom of the two pieces. Like this:

But would that really matter? The force is still transfered to the same bolt locations.

Sharpe
10-27-2005, 05:42 PM
Wouldnt the easiest choice be to just build a damn crossmember?

mudtoy67
10-27-2005, 05:43 PM
Nice art work but whats with the donut at the bottom. I can make out the engine block and the mount but the donut is throwing me off. :flipoff2:
Most of the ones I have seen with that style mount use the bushing end on the block and have the long arm on mount to the frame. If you put a nice scab plate over the frame it should hold up nicely. Granted I've only seen one person rip the block apart at the motor mount so either way should be fine.

That's the mount that Erik was talking about.

mmmm.....Donut

http://www.goodrock.com/productpics/shirts/thumbs/psim0029.gif

Fredo
10-27-2005, 05:46 PM
But would that really matter? The force is still transfered to the same bolt locations.

Yeah, same as on a gm clamshell mount basically. I'm betting that's why the block was designed with 4 bolts there to hold the mount instead of two.

mudtoy67
10-27-2005, 06:13 PM
Yeah, same as on a gm clamshell mount basically. I'm betting that's why the block was designed with 4 bolts there to hold the mount instead of two.

Ok, it was just a theory. Cool sig line. :gigem:

agjohn02
10-27-2005, 07:22 PM
Reason?

Those mounts look really nice. I think that's what I'm going to shoot for.

too big. doesnt make the power it should and you dont need that much anyways. its not a matter of not being cool, just overkill. sbc are tight enough in a jeep. just sounds like its more trouble than its worth. plus, its a jeep. :flipoff2:

agjohn02
10-27-2005, 07:25 PM
the mounts eric posted up will work if you plate the frame. they are just cantilevered too much. plus, id put the motor where you want it then build the mounts. looks like they put the frame side in then made the engine side to work. i built the engine side bolted the clamshells in and built the towers off the frame with the engine hanging in the engine bay.

TxCruzr
10-27-2005, 08:11 PM
Wouldnt the easiest choice be to just build a damn crossmember?

Are you talking about building a crossmember that goes under the motor and craddles it? If so, you will probably run into clearence issues, specially if hes trying to build his jeep as low as he can with big tires.

Shaggy
10-27-2005, 08:17 PM
i would have to agree... if he keeps it low a crossmember might hit the axle

bburris
10-27-2005, 09:51 PM
You guys must have the ESPN.

bburris
10-27-2005, 10:14 PM
too big. doesnt make the power it should and you dont need that much anyways. its not a matter of not being cool, just overkill. sbc are tight enough in a jeep. just sounds like its more trouble than its worth. plus, its a jeep. :flipoff2:

In all honesty, any amount of power is going to feel ridiculous to me in that Jeep. I won't have fenders of any sort, and I put a 1" body lift on to help with hood clearance. That way I can drop it down a little more in the spring department and not worry about tire clearance.

The only measurement that I'm concerned with right now is the length. I need to pull the fan off and put some shorter bolts on the water pump pulley and it'll lose about 3-4"... I have a pretty thin electric fan and a 3-row radiator so there's going to be a lot of test fitting, which is why I bought the hoist.

I know I can shoehorn it into the engine compartment, so it really just comes down to the bling factor of having a big block motor in my Jeep. Besides, if we're talking about wasting motors, aren't you the one that put an LT1 in a Scout? :flipoff2:

agjohn02
10-27-2005, 10:16 PM
Besides, if we're talking about wasting motors, aren't you the one that put an LT1 in a Scout? :flipoff2:

wasting motors huh? i wasnt talking about wasting the motor. you're right though GM really blew it with that tbi pig.

uglyota
10-27-2005, 10:21 PM
The only measurement that I'm concerned with right now is the length.
stretch the cowl :gigem:

TxCruzr
10-28-2005, 12:10 AM
The only measurement that I'm concerned with right now is the length

Been getting turned down alot huh...its ok, they make pills for that :flipoff2:

In all honesty, any amount of power is going to feel ridiculous to me in that Jeep.

Understatement of the year. Put a block of wood under the gas pedal. Going from the 1F to the 350 wasn't bad untill the first time I hammered it. Its such a scary rush that you have to do it again and again...hence my small collection of random broken crap. Its worth it though -pimp-

J Cooper
10-28-2005, 12:16 AM
yeah and its fun to make a toyota go sideways on texas past a big frat daddy powerstroke